Catsailor.com

prindle 15 , adding a jib?

Posted By: jonathan

prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/14/07 09:51 PM

i have a prindle 15, and want to fit a jib to make it a little faster, and more fun to sail. Has anyone done this?, i want to do it cheaply, are there any recommendations as to what is the biggest jib from a different class of dinghy/cat, that would be best to use
Posted By: erice

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/14/07 10:48 PM

i've no experience with adding jibs to uni cats but on your question of oversized jibs i seem to remember reading that some people have added nacra 5.8 jibs to the nacra 5.5

from that i'd guess that a jib from a prindle 16 or hobie 16 would be around the right size and pretty easy to find 2nd hand

have you seached for pics of both and compared their rigging to your prindle 15
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/14/07 10:51 PM

Where are you located?
Posted By: warbird

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/15/07 02:42 AM

fully battoned Hobie 16 will give you great flat sail down wind without barberhaulers but you will need to be onto it up wind in heavy.
Short prod and WAY cheaper than a spinny for more fun that uni.
Posted By: gree2056

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/15/07 03:15 AM

You should be able to find some hobie 16 jib pretty cheap, I see them on ebay all the time.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/15/07 03:35 AM

Check your pm's.
Posted By: jonathan

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/15/07 12:44 PM

Thanks, for the respones, i am in the UK. I had thought about, a hobie or prindle 16 jib, but thought they might be too long in the luff, hence my question. I think i`ve sorted out the cleat arrangement, probably on a wire across the tramp, rather than cleats on the front bar, as this would enable a jib with a larger foot to be employed. I think some nacras have this arrangment.?
Posted By: hrtsailor

Re: prindle 15 , adding a jib? - 11/15/07 01:58 PM

I asked the same question about a jib and received the following reply from a fellow in the Netherlands.

Hi Howard, I bougt a stock P15 jib, which is 3,78 m2 according to the texel rating. Using a HC 14 jib would be fine, thats 3.54 m2. The blocks of the jib are attached to a line between the two stays.
greetz,
Arend

Trey, this Prindle is in Raleigh but my daughter has never had the chance to use it.

Howard
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums