Catsailor.com

Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the Ball/

Posted By: brobru

Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the Ball/ - 04/28/02 01:45 PM

...the Ball and Socket type trapeze set up,...I remember seeing them years ago.

a small 'ball' would be on the boat trap,...it would fit into a 'socket' warn by the sailor,......anyone out there remember this set up?

...time to bring it back???

Bruce

St. Croix
Posted By: hobie541

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the Ball/ - 04/29/02 02:57 AM

Ask Wally! Maybe he'll see this and speak up. He's a local 20 sailor who currently uses the set up, and likes it a lot.

Wally??????

Tim
Posted By: Miracle804

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 04/29/02 11:13 PM

Hugh Greenwald of the old Sailing Systems, Inc. (SSI) marketed a product called SailSafe in the 1970s and 1980s, which is the ball and socket you describe. I use it on both my 20 and 14 Turbo for the reasons mentioned in prior posts. The only two drawbacks are that you have to have crew that agrees with the concept. Most of the more youthful folks like their own harness which came with a hook. So sometimes we restring the trap wires to accommodate their preference. The second is that they are getting harder to find when you want a replacement. (I've only had to replace two since 1984.) I've attached a photo to this reply showing the buckle. I really hope somebody brings this item back, because Hugh doesn't have any or the molds either last time I contacted him at Hobie Cat.

Wally Schuette

Photo of SailSafe trap buckle - 04/29/02 11:35 PM

Attached picture 6553-Trap Buckle.JPG
Posted By: Leo

Re: Photo of SailSafe trap buckle - 05/01/02 01:30 AM

Sounds like a Beta vs. VHS issue to me. If there is enough call for it, it will return. Capitalism works that way. Count me in as a customer if they do return.

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 05/01/02 01:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The picture turned out good too

It that cast aluminum?

This is a good product,...maybe I will fabricate one.

Can you get us a picture of the 'ball' end?

Have you ever seen the system fail?

thanks

Bruce

St. Croix

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 05/01/02 07:51 PM

Here is a poor photo of the handle with the ball. The buckle handle and ball are all black plastic (ABS?). There is a 2.5" twisted wire stainless cable that connects the handle and ball. The replacements I've made were the result of damage while storing them -- never from use. The only common problem is that you must keep the trap line under tension as you hike out. If the trap wire goes slack ( if you stand up rather than lean out), the ball drops out of the V-groove in the buckle. Exactly the action you want --- free release --- in any capsize.

Attached picture 6602-Trap Handle.JPG

Trap handle photo - 05/01/02 08:11 PM

Sorry the first one was too large of a file size. Try this one

Attached picture 6604-Trap Handle 2.JPG
Posted By: Jake

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 05/01/02 08:50 PM

judging from the photo you placed earlier, it looks like fiber reinforced acetal plastic - possibly nylon (much stronger).

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 05/02/02 10:27 AM

I want this.........How do I get it

I sail a Inter 17,....in the Caribbean,....If I get in trouble,.....it is only me that will be there,.........so you can see how I want to get rid of the 'hook'.

Where can I get this?,.....I need only 2 'ball' set up,.....and 1 harness set up

Bruce

St. Croix
Posted By: Sycho15

Re: Speaking of Harness Dangers,..what about the B - 05/03/02 05:10 PM

I'd like this too. I often sail solo in the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. While there are plenty of boats around to lend a hand, I wouldn't count on them actually getting there in time to help me if I were caught underneath the boat.

Perhaps if we got enough people together to sign a petition or some similar document, and sent it in to Murrays, we could get this put back into production.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums