Catsailor.com

Tiger boom question

Posted By: JACKFLASH

Tiger boom question - 03/10/08 04:38 PM

Can somebody give me the length and diameter of the Tiger boom? Thanks
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Tiger boom question - 03/10/08 05:42 PM

Collin

If I remember right the diameter is 1-5/8 inches. It is the exact same extrusion as the spinnaker pole. The length is just longer than the foot of the sail buy about 6 inches. I think it is 8 feet. Do you need a better number than this? What are you doing souping up your Hobie 18 with a Tiger sail?

Later,
Dan

Re: Tiger boom question - 03/10/08 05:49 PM

I added a Tiger mast to get away from the comptip. Problem is my main was designed with this in mind. Net result I am severely overpowered and I have more square footage in my main then an F18. I am going to replace my main and am considering buying an "off the shelf" one this time. If I buy a Tiger main I will need the smaller diameter boom than the large flat 18 boom for the strap. I was planning on replaceing the boom anyways. The big hurdle now is that Hobie is selling the few ST mains they have left for 40% off. It of course is less area than the STX but 40% is a lot of money.
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Tiger boom question - 03/11/08 02:42 AM

The big hurdle now is that Hobie is selling the few ST mains they have left for 40% off. It of course is less area than the STX but 40% is a lot of money.

ST and STX are nominally the same sail area. The ST has a longer foot, the STX a little more area up top.

Re: Tiger boom question - 03/11/08 03:36 AM

[/quote]ST and STX are nominally the same sail area. The ST has a longer foot, the STX a little more area up top. [/quote]

Is it correct that in light air the STX is superior with its extra area up top where generally there is more air? I would assume if Hobie doesn't make the ST anymore and everyone wants the STX there must be good reason. But all that said, per our conversation earlier, I am going to try more mast rake, and more spreader rake and see what happens. If it still doesn't feel right I'll take you up on your offer of the ST main loan to see if it is a sail cut issue or have I just been away from the boat for too long.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums