Catsailor.com

Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection ports

Posted By: FasterDamnit

Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection ports - 03/18/08 01:36 PM

So far my investigation says no...

Are they only available complete?
Posted By: bvining

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection ports - 03/18/08 01:50 PM

You want just the center? For the HT? Best source is from Bimare.

or you can replace them. IF you do, go to West marine and get new Beckson, you'll need to replace the ring and the cover, because the threads are differient, the Beckson ones are a great improvement, they dont leak and they dont get frozen shut with fine grained sand like the original ones do.

Plus if you ever lose one, its an easy replacement from Beckson, the ones that came stock on the HT are harder to get, I've only been able to get them from Bimare.

www.beckson.com
They have overstocks and special on the web site.

These would work, for $4
http://www.beckson.com/Merchant2/me...mp;Store_Code=B&Product_Code=166

Bill
Posted By: Jake

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 01:59 PM

I second the notion for upgrading to new Beckson ports - my only complaint is that they don't have an internal ring to support a port bag - but they are a much more solid and water-tight improvement over the Viking Marine or other ports I've seen.

When bedding in a new port ring, be sure to drill all holes, goop up the deck and the port with sealant, install the port loosely with only two screws opposite each other ON the highpoint of the deck curvature (if any), let the goop setup at least overnight, then apply the rest of the screws with light to moderate tightness - plastic screws are much better for this application too (though I used stainless in the picture below). The key to a good tight port seal is to not distort the port base by cranking it to a curved deck. Let the sealant do the work of making up any difference between the curve of the deck and the port. Now your port threads and o-ring will be nicely aligned and mostly jam free.

Also note that 3M 5200 cleans up beautifully with Mineral Spirits before it's cured - that's how I finished the sealant around the edge of these port covers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 02:08 PM

Jake,
Beckson makes a "ditty bag" that fits there deckplates

Bill

Attached picture 138539-IMG_6824.JPG

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 02:10 PM

no kidding? I'll have to look for those. Thanks!

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 02:15 PM

You have to add the adapter ring, it goes on with ABS cement -

The bag is nice about 9" long.

Attached picture 138541-IMG_6825.JPG

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 02:21 PM

Jake,
Your pics arent showing up.

Bill
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 02:37 PM

Thanks for the Beckson tip Bill...cool stuff

wish they made this rascal in a 5", as well as 6"
great for storage venting

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 03:35 PM

Do they make that vent in a 4"?

That would be a sweet way to keep the hulls vented and dry you're not sailing.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 04:43 PM

And most of all... keep Cats out of the cat... (Raccoons too)

I took an old pair of cracked tops and drilled about 40 holes in them. Then i glued porch screening on top of that and use those from time to time to vent/dry out the hulls.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 04:43 PM

Do they make that vent in a 4"?

That would be a sweet way to keep the hulls vented and dry you're not sailing.
Not the easiest site to navigate (read...I may be wrong) but I only found this 6" version.

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 05:06 PM

Jake,
Your pics arent showing up.

Bill

Should be - they're hosted at flickr which should allow sharing. Maybe a local blocking thing.

Team Seacats at Flickr
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 05:21 PM

When bedding in a new port ring, be sure to drill all holes, goop up the deck and the port with sealant, install the port loosely with only two screws opposite each other ON the highpoint of the deck curvature (if any), let the goop setup at least overnight, then apply the rest of the screws with light to moderate tightness - plastic screws are much better for this application too (though I used stainless in the picture below). The key to a good tight port seal is to not distort the port base by cranking it to a curved deck. Let the sealant do the work of making up any difference between the curve of the deck and the port. Now your port threads and o-ring will be nicely aligned and mostly jam free.

If the curvature of the deck is extreme then consider bedding the ports to the deck with an epoxy putty. This will firmly support the port if it gets walked on.

Chris.
Posted By: FasterDamnit

Re: Can you buy the center cap for 4" inspection p - 03/18/08 05:27 PM

Thanks, guys!

Beckson's it is.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums