Catsailor.com

closed loop spin halyard/retrival

Posted By: roccats

closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/13/08 06:11 PM

I have a bimare jav2 that was setup with a single closed loop for the spin halyard and retrival. I have always had trouble with dousing the spin with excess resistance in the retrival line. Any thoughts / opinions on keeping the single line system vs a separate 2 line setup?
Posted By: ncik

Re: closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/13/08 10:54 PM

There shouldn't be much difference in resistance between the two.

The chute opening is the major component of resistance in the system.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/14/08 01:10 AM

Any thoughts / opinions on keeping the single line system vs a separate 2 line setup?

Do you believe it will be easier to set and retrieve if you just cut the line of your one line setup, so that it becomes a two line setup?

If the answer is "yes", your line is two short - buy a longer one. If your answer is no, your problem is elsewhere.
Posted By: ncik

Re: closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/14/08 01:46 AM

As a note, you will need more rope for a split system than a continuous system. This could lead to more clutter, depending on how you set it up.
Posted By: Tornado

Re: closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/14/08 02:34 AM

Do you mean a single line for pulling the tack out & then hoisting the sail? These systems do have some additional resistance, but not that much.
A big factor on my Tornado seems to be where the snuffer opening is placed along the pole...depending on the retrieval patch locations on the sail, you want the sail entering snuffer opening before all 3 (or 2) patches jam up together. Having the opening as close to the forestay as possible was a disaster...the sail would be a huge blob of clothe drapped over the opening...making lots of resistance to enter the ring. Placing the ring 12-18 inches forward allowed the sail to start entry prior to all 3 patches bunching up fully.

Mike.
Posted By: roccats

Re: closed loop spin halyard/retrival - 05/14/08 12:23 PM

Do you believe it will be easier to set and retrieve if you just cut the line of your one line setup, so that it becomes a two line setup?

If the answer is "yes", your line is two short - buy a longer one. If your answer is no, your problem is elsewhere.

Luiz, you just answered my question. I always assumed the line that came with the boat was the correct length.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums