Catsailor.com

What kind of boat is this?

Posted By: wildtsail

What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 04:23 AM

I saw this boat in the Texel video and I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of boat it is.
http://www.roundtexel.com/medialib/...id=1611&nPage=1&ctPic=13

Can someone fill me in?
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 06:10 AM

It looks like an M20 with jib?
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 07:10 AM

Extreme 20..... M20 with Tornado rig
Posted By: Kennethsf

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 12:48 PM

Has one line honours this year [new sails though this year]
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 06:42 PM

M20

Line honours two years on the trot!
Posted By: Wouter

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/07/08 07:39 PM

Actually,

That boat is NOT a M20 as we all know it. It is a M20 GTI which means the rig has been changed. It has gotten a jib and often they change the mainsail and spinnaker as well.

It dependents on the crew but some change between a small spinnaker (=25 sq. mtr and max legal under Texel rating) to a large spinnaker (= 30 sq. mtr or more and taking an additional handicap point "punishment') depending on the expected conditions.

Some change the rudders for a different profile/setup as well. These are definate NOT standard M20 boats. I think only the Swedish teams are sailing standard M20's at Texel these days. All other crews have significantly modified M20 GTI's or Extreme 20's (= M20 platform with a complete Tornado carbon rig).

These are line honours boats and modified by their crews for the purpose of being first over the line. The Standard M20 (= uni-rig with a normal size spinnaker) is sadly not good enough to be first over the line these days.

Wouter
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 06:03 AM

If its a Marstrom why are both crew wearing Nacra USA rashguards? I also think I saw a boat just like it in one of the videos that had the nacra logo on the side.
That's whats really catching me up... I thought it looked like an M20 but the nacra stuff was making me think otherwise.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 07:07 AM

Look on the Transom...... Marstrom logo

http://www.roundtexel.com/medialib/index...e=2&ctPic=9
Posted By: Jake

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 10:22 AM

Performance Sails provides all the Nacra Europe / F18 sails too.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 11:02 AM

If its a Marstrom why are both crew wearing Nacra USA rashguards? I also think I saw a boat just like it in one of the videos that had the nacra logo on the side.
That's whats really catching me up... I thought it looked like an M20 but the nacra stuff was making me think otherwise.

Nacra Europe and Performance Sails share the same management, they are also the Dutch dealer of Marstrom.
Xander Pols (the guy in the photo) has very close ties to Nacra so that is why it carries their name.
There are 3 version of the M20 platform:
1-M20 uni
2-M20 Extreme (tornado rig)
3-M20-GTI (basically a uni with jib, carries a taller rig than the M20 Extreme).

Xander did not finish first though, that was Wouter Samama on an M20 (either GTI or Extreme).
But he allegedly made an error on the course (it was said he took a shortcut) and the RC DSQ'ed him after a protest hearing.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 06:23 PM

At the VC turning marker there was an off-set bouy that (allegdely) wasn't mentioned in the WRITTEN sailing instructions. Wouter Samama knew this and did not consider this bouy as part of the course and protested the RC on this oversight. However the protest committee threw this protest out and Samama was disqualified.

That is the story as it came to me through the various channels.

Wouter
Posted By: Jake

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/08/08 06:40 PM

“YOU CAN’T PROTEST THE RACE COMMITTEE”
by David Hagler US Sailing Judge, Crownsville, MD

This is an incorrect statement and is uttered by racing sailors much more often than should be the case. A boat may only protest another or request redress. In the case of a sailor not protesting another boat, they are by default requesting redress. (Please see RRS 60.1). It is too common to hear competitors claim they are going to 'protest the race committee'. In short - it is not possible to protest the race committee. (However, it is possible to protest another boat if the R/C is on that boat, though the protest would be against the boat and not the R/C, but that is another issue altogether.)
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: What kind of boat is this? - 06/09/08 01:30 AM

“YOU CAN’T PROTEST THE RACE COMMITTEE”
by David Hagler US Sailing Judge, Crownsville, MD

LOL... I remember reading this last week and it is the first thing that popped in my head upon reading the previous post.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums