Catsailor.com

Hobie 18 Righting System

Posted By: flyhigh

Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/07/08 06:01 PM

I sail a Hobie 18 myself on occasion and last year a big gust of wind rolled the boat over. I tried to right the boat by myself with the hawiian righting system and pointing the boat into the wind but I could only get the mast tip off of the water by about 6 inches. I weigh about 230 lbs. After a while another guy sailed over and helped me right the boat. Is there any other system that could be used to right the boat when saling alone?
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/07/08 08:18 PM

Use the aid of a righting bag, they may sell them at the online store on this site.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/08/08 04:22 AM

I was able to right one with a 4to1 tackle and righting bag at 5' 11" 170lbs. If you just fill the bag up part way you should easily be able to through it over your shoulder and right it.

Your putting the righting line in you harness to take the strain off your hands right?
Posted By: Ken_H

Re: Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/08/08 02:03 PM

The righting bag, looping the line around your trapeeze hook, and patience... Lean back and you will get it. Also make sure the mast is air tight. Worse case scenario (if you dont race) get a Hobie Bob take the easy way out...
Posted By: wyatt

Re: Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/10/08 04:04 PM

We go through this question a lot. After years of experimenting, we've finally added a Hobie Bob to stop the turtling; you can take it off for racing. We purchased a power pole; you can get one from Rick White. I weigh 170lbs and I can get the thing up by myself. Follow the instructions carefully. I would not compromise my front crossbar and drill through my tramp, we machined a different Pole mounting system to the dolphin striker and the mast extrusion post. Good Luck.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hobie 18 Righting System - 06/10/08 04:25 PM

I had a TheMightyHobie18 and agree the righting bag is the way to go... however i would NOT attach it to my trapeeze hook... i have a righting line and i have a truckers hitch (loop) in it where i hang my bag line.. After i fill the bag i pull it up out of the water and lean back on the line/bag... this will lift almost any beach cat. BTW it is MUCH cheaper to purchase the entire system than try to make it yourself.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums