Catsailor.com

New A-class builder

Posted By: ejpoulsen

New A-class builder - 07/16/08 05:28 AM

I don't personally know anything about them but ran across the web site.

http://www.bluestreakboatwerks.com/default.asp
Posted By: CaptainKirt

Re: New A-class builder - 07/16/08 05:34 AM

This is Peter Cogan's hull shape- the "prototypes" were sailed by he and Ben Hall (w/ the wing of course!) at the World's. I believe this venture is out of St. Louis?? There's more on the A cat list-

Kirt
Posted By: Catfan

Re: New A-class builder - 07/16/08 10:18 AM

I like very much the new EVO.
However I would suggest to JL to differentiate more the HT model from the other versions.
If I were him, I would try to make of the EVO HT the REAL state of the art racing A cat available nowadays. Here some ideas:
1)I would go for carbon/epoxi for the hulls’ construction: the 4-6 lbs saved could be profitably exchanged with added carbon reinforcements to add stiffness and durability to the platform (BIMARE does it for its V1-XT);
2)I would have someone to manufacture an customized mast (purposely and solely for the EVO HT with special carbon clothes or special bending characteristic).The standard Hall/Fiberfoam/Saarberg mast is not enough;
3)I would go for special (=VERY LIGHT) foils. Again the 2-3 lbs saved could be profitably exchanged with added carbon to add stiffness and durability to the platform. I was told that BIMARE is building on demand autoclaved carbon daggerboards and rudder blades weighting respectively 700 and 950 grs;
4) I would go for PBO forestay and shrouds by Smartrigging
(again perhaps a 1 lbs saved).
In all I suppose the cost of this REAL HT model would increase only by a couple of thousands of USD (then more or less only an 8%)
Posted By: bvining

Re: New A-class builder - 07/17/08 08:19 PM

how about adding curved daggers too?
Posted By: Catfan

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 09:54 AM

Bill
I suppose that the introduction of curved daggerboards on a A cat is worth an increase of USD 1,000 on the overall cost of the boat. Since at the 2008 Europeans no boat fitted with curved foils made the top 10, I would go for this option.
I heard that you became quite an appreciated foils' builder. Are you working also on curved foils?

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 01:15 PM

I dont see how a curved foil would add any cost over a straight foil on a new boat. Once you have a mold, its the same amount of material. I think what the current crowd is worried about is having to modify existing trunks if curved foils do become common.

Until they are proven, its still just a guess if they are faster or not.

I'm not working on curved foils, the one set I did make were for FasterDammit, and they are for the HT. I dont think I'll make any more, they are pretty labor intensive.

I dont know if I told you, but I raised the rear beam on the HT. It came out nice, and I was out last weekend in about 3-4 foot of chop and the rear beam didnt slap once. I used Forte Carbon beams and used some scrap tubes from Forte to create the riser. I'll post pics soon.

Bill
Posted By: Luiz

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 02:06 PM

I dont see how a curved foil would add any cost over a straight foil on a new boat. Once you have a mold, its the same amount of material.

A pair of symetrical foils can be made out of one mold, while a pair of asymetrical foils requires two molds.
Posted By: Jake

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 02:17 PM

I dont see how a curved foil would add any cost over a straight foil on a new boat. Once you have a mold, its the same amount of material.

A pair of symetrical foils can be made out of one mold, while a pair of asymetrical foils requires two molds.

Are you talking about one mold with two halves?
Posted By: basket.case

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 05:46 PM

the curved asymmetric boards should be symmetric top to bottom. so it is still only one mold.

Re: New A-class builder - 07/18/08 05:49 PM

Not necessarily, if you had boards that were the same on each end you could have one mold (with two halves) and flip the board end for end to insert in port vs starboard hull. Assuming the curve was continuous.

You can make a straight board with one mold - two halves if you have a "shark fin" end, or with one mold - one half if you have square ends.

Bill
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums