Catsailor.com

Prindle19MX Tuning guide

Posted By: lonestarcat

Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 03:36 PM

As I understand it, Randy Smyth used to have a tuning guide for the P19MX on his web site. Does anyone have a copy of this?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 03:42 PM

http://www.performancecat.com/prindle/

Re: Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 04:07 PM

I have been there a hundred times and never saw what I was looking for. Now that you have linked to it, the web site was apparently brought to its knees with hits from this site. I can't get it to open.

Re: Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 04:15 PM

Sure blame me.. NO good deed goes unpunished!

Since this thread has had 20 views... i find it hard to believe the traffic from this site has "brought it to its knees"

Re: Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 04:22 PM

I amuse myself. Still can't get it to open however.

Re: Prindle19MX Tuning guide - 08/26/08 04:29 PM

It's up again
http://www.performancecat.com/prindle/pdffiles/Prindle1918-2Manual.pdf

that would have been embarrassing - 08/26/08 04:48 PM

Thanks, I have an original copy of that manual, but that was way before the MX upgrade. Randy's chapter in Rick's book was before the MX upgrade. Apparently he wrote about tuning the MX, but his website is defunct. I am counting on other P19 sailors to have a copy?

I am curious what is recommended for mast rake, shroud and diamond tension, rudder rake, jib luff tensioning, jib lead placement, all of which is likely to have changed with the bigger sails, longer rudders, etc.
Posted By: gregP19

Re: that would have been embarrassing - 08/27/08 12:04 AM

When their loft was called "Danger Sails" Pease and Jay Glaser put out a very good tuning guide for the standard sails. A lot of the info in that guide is applicable to the MX sails with the exception of the jib car placement fore and aft. You might be able to get a copy from them at Glaser Sailing Inc in Huntington Beach, CA.
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: that would have been embarrassing - 09/02/08 06:19 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been away from a computer for several days/weeks ... I'm trying to catch up.

When I purchased my P19MX sails from Randy he sent me some typed pages that he photocopied and sent to me .... I
might still have them around here somewhere ... I'll look for them.

But here is what I remember, I'll try to measure my boat this weekend if I get down to the YC.

Mast Rake: measured from the rear-crossbar- approx 24", you should be 4"-6" behind the transome.

Spreader Rake: 1 3/4"- 2"

Mast Prebend: 2" ( this will mean approximently 500lbs of tension on the spreader wires )

Yes, I do remember shortning the rudder crossbar ... I can't remember how much. I think I set the rudders using a fixture and then calculated the new length so that I was in the middle of the adjustment range ... I'll try and remember to measure the crossbar length

Got to run ...
Lots of chores to catch up on

HarryMurphey
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: that would have been embarrassing - 09/02/08 11:36 PM

When their loft was called "Danger Sails" Pease and Jay Glaser put out a very good tuning guide for the standard sails. A lot of the info in that guide is applicable to the MX sails with the exception of the jib car placement fore and aft. You might be able to get a copy from them at Glaser Sailing Inc in Huntington Beach, CA.

I had gotten this form Jay and Pease the other week - it is for a Prindle 18-2 so I don't know if it will be of much help, but what the hell may be of some value to somone

Rudder Rake = 1/2" from transom rear using the guidlines in the Prindle manual
Rudder alignment - 1/4" towed in
Spreader Rake - 1.5"
Diamond Wires - as tight as possible w/o inducing pre-bend
And the attached

Attached File
156822-182tg1.pdf  (50 downloads)
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: that would have been embarrassing - 09/02/08 11:38 PM

Attached part II

Attached File
156823-182tg2.pdf  (47 downloads)