Catsailor.com

Biking?

Posted By: Chris9

Biking? - 10/16/08 11:50 AM

There seems to be a trend here in biking for fun and exercise. The A Classers seem to be road bikers and I'm starting a to gather a group of mountain bikers. If your interested in the mountain side of biking and local to the Chesapeake area let me know. Example, we (my 9 year old, his friend, my 17 year old and myself) are going to Rosaryville State Park tomorrow morning hopefully hitting the trail around 9am.

I found a very helpful forum Mtbrforum.com. Its just like this place, people that can't wait to help.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 12:17 PM

Funny, I'm a cyclist (biker) as well but as a right F16 sailor I have a sport oriented randonneur (Lightweight long distance touring bike) WITH a fenders(spray guards) and luggage rack. So I don't get all wet when cycling on wet roads and bring some stuff with me like a good rain jacket. I got slighly wider tires as well with some profile on it for grip in the slippery corners.

Interesting to note the different between the A-sailors and myself as a F16 sailor in the choice of bike !

Ohh, there is not a single item of carbon on my bike either. eek

Wouter

Posted By: hokie

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 01:22 PM

I road bike, the a-cat is missing though
Posted By: Doug_P182_LKN

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 01:53 PM

My "other" hobby is triathlons. I spend as much time as I can in the saddle. The "fleet" has grown over the years to a Cervelo tri-bike, a Trek road bike, a Miyata road bike and a Specialized mountain bike.
Posted By: grob

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 02:10 PM

I Ride to work, 32 miles a day along the coast, partly because I like cycling but mostly because fuel is so damn expensive!!!

Gareth

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 03:15 PM

Nice. I'll be driving 30 miles each way just to get to the park.
Posted By: JJ_

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hokie
I road bike, the a-cat is missing though.

Yes but you have a 5.0! Not far from NCSU/fairgrounds and have been wanting to look at a 500. Any chance we could get up with each other sometime? Just looking at it would be great...on the trailer...in the backyard...whatever. I won't touch it and I will act respectful at all times!

I ride the Greenways around here.
Posted By: phill

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 05:05 PM

Interesting observation about bikes and sailors.
I have several road bikes and one mountain bike.
This sunday I'll be doing a 50km ride with my daughter and 10,000 other bike riders. The course goes over the Sydney Harbour bridge and just about every other bridge they can find criss crossing the waterway to Olympic Park. As the distance is quite short and my daughter will be on a mountain bike I'll ride my mountain bike.
In two weeks there is a more challenging ride from Sydney to Woolongong. A 90km ride which has some good hills so I'll use my road bike. This is also an organised ride and last year there were around 10,000 riders taking part too. These are the only organised rides that I do the rest of the time its just local riding of distances between 50km and 80km several times a week.
I don't mind riding the local fire trails in my area but really road cycling is what I love. We have some great places to ride with most roads getting bike lanes as work is done on them.

Regards,
Phill
Posted By: WindyHillF20

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 07:38 PM

I ride offroad exclusively and race downhill and dual slalom. I sail a modified TheMightyHobie18 w/spin. I really enjoy lift assisted mt bike park riding and have recently been doing some street and park riding. Also race BMX every now and then. Seems there are several mt bikers in my sailing group here in the Southeast.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 07:44 PM

I own a pretty nice mountain bike, but I wouldn't pretend to be into it much. I bought it simply for a cardio workout.

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 07:48 PM

If your chasing cardio there is bound to be a pump track near you in GA. Google the term pump track to see what I'm describing. I have one on my property and ride it 2 or 3 times a week. I also have several dirt jump lines ranging from 2' to 7' tall with gaps 8' to 15'. I'm way too old for this kinda stuff but really enjoy it and so far no serious injuries other than a blown disc in my neck.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 08:05 PM

and so far no serious injuries other than a blown disc in my neck.

Glad to see it hasn't been too serious...

I hope I never meet an injury that you deem "too serious".

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 08:53 PM

I hear ya on that! Bones protruding thru skin and blood deems an injury serious in my book. The disc seemed more of a inconvience, a little p.t. and it was all better. May need some work later on if I land on my head again. Dr. says I have arthritis in my neck now but thats it.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Biking? - 10/16/08 10:06 PM

I ride one of these. All carbon.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 12:25 AM

Chris:

Must be nice. Are you doing 10 hr work days, 4 x a week...must be a civil servant or changed your career to bartending (LOL)?

30 lbs and 11 yrs ago I used to MTB race....I quit when I was forced into the seniors division @ 34 yrs for the Father's Day Frenzie @ Rockburn Park in Ellicott City/Elkridge.

Have a great ride!

Kris
F-16

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 12:34 AM

Guys:

At 58 laugh , this is my idea of biking http://www.johnnypag.com/features/CustomChoppers.php?sec=8 whistle grin

Doug

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 12:37 AM

Better pic

http://www.johnnypag.com/images/motorcycles/spyder300_large.jpg

Doug
Posted By: tami

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 12:48 AM

I see your bike, and I'll raise you:
[Linked Image]

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 01:10 AM

Tami:

Nice bike. We just have different styles!!! I still LOVE your trimaran and want someday. Saw Bob Curry fly on a Sprint 750 when we did the Great Bay Race a few years ago.

Doug

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by tami
I see your bike, and I'll raise you:
[Linked Image]

I used 5 oz. of chain lube last year. How much oil and gas did you go through?

What's your resting heart rate?

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 02:36 AM

That bike really makes me HOT!! I love the italian styling. I see many of them about in Raleigh, NC. Not sure why there are so many, maybe the colleges. My wife forbids my ownership of any type of motorcycle, bike = divorce. So, I must self propel on two wheels.
Nice chopper as well Doug. My best friend is a Harley mechanic and as you can imagine has a sweet custom hog, complete with nitro boost.

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 02:38 AM

Ha! 3 pages about biking on a sailing site. grin
Posted By: Cookie Monster

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 03:32 AM

Glad to see the topic. It's really not much of a stretch for catsailors to be bikers (maybe cyclist is a better word) Most catsailors are pretty athletic to start. At my age and size, instead of losing weight, I just got a bigger boat. As far as cycling - it is a great workout and a lot less impact on the body. I do have some carbon on my bike, but I believe that the bike should match the skills. I just signed up for my second MS150 charity ride from Houston to Austin this coming April. They limit the entries to 13,000. Last year it filled up in 10 days, yesterday it took 6 hours!

See you on the water, and I hope you see me on the road!

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 04:20 AM

Don:

Now that I have lost 35 lbs shocked and 7 inches off my waist smile grin I may look at getting a human powered bike too. laugh I live out in the sticks now and there are plenty of places to ride and some good small hills around the house by the lake. Might also be fun with the grand kids.

Doug
Posted By: tami

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 02:47 PM

Hobie1616, I see your point.

I used to road race, averaging 300 mi/wk, with a team... I still have my bike, a TREK aluminum-frame with a Dura-Ace brake-lever shifting gruppo (it was new at the time, and the Al frame was stiffer than carbon, at that time), a Selle Italia Ti seat, yada yada...

I now am happily chubby and fart around on my TREK 7500, hybrid, with its radial-spoke BONTRAGER rims. Wow, base model bikes are now like racing bikes used to be.

Re: Biking? - 10/17/08 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tami
Hobie1616, I see your point.

I used to road race, averaging 300 mi/wk, with a team... I still have my bike, a TREK aluminum-frame with a Dura-Ace brake-lever shifting gruppo (it was new at the time, and the Al frame was stiffer than carbon, at that time), a Selle Italia Ti seat, yada yada...

I now am happily chubby and fart around on my TREK 7500, hybrid, with its radial-spoke BONTRAGER rims. Wow, base model bikes are now like racing bikes used to be.

Those aluminum frames are back killers. A friend set up a Al frame with extremely stiff Specialized tri spoke wheels. The ride was so hard he wrecked his back. I think he went by the Hernando philosophy of, "It is better to look good then to feel good."

He ended up modifying a Trek Y33 MTB with full suspension to ride on the road.

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 03:26 AM

My crew attached. Were going again this Sunday 10ish
Posted By: Herbie53

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 04:14 AM

The road bike thing works for me. I've lost about 25# in 6 weeks and don't get tired jumping in and out on marginal wind days like I used to (also need to go out more, which is nice).

Added bonus is that better cardio means I can give my ACat crew (Ashley Dupre') continuous verbal feedback on her performance.

The Inter 20's I'm rolling while going to weather find this distracting.. yet another bonus.
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Biking?......FIXED IS FUN - 11/07/08 04:42 AM

I've been riding a fixed gear for the last year and a half and having a blast. I also built one up for my wife--she likes pink...

Attached picture cropped 6BR.jpg
Posted By: mattfelsen

Re: Biking?......FIXED IS FUN - 11/07/08 06:15 AM

that's a nice lookin bike, your wife must be happy. here's my schwinn 12-speed conversion i built up about a year ago (from before i added my white seat laugh ). been riding fixed since then and never looked back

Attached picture CIMG5052.jpg
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chris9
My crew attached. Were going again this Sunday 10ish

I should have my hardtail rebuilt by the following weekend. 11 years ago, there was limited ability to find competitive prices for high end components. Today its a smorgasbord!

Kris
F-16
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 04:16 PM

First generation Cannondale aluminum (the one with the sewer pipe frame).

Off the rack (unsuspended) fat tire mtb that will get more use when I get the kid/dog trailer hookup...

As flat as Florida is, I still use a lot of gears.... does that make me a bad person? smile
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 04:22 PM

Hey, I A-Class and mountain bike. I have an X0 Castellano. I have a road bike too but the wierd things I find in the woods are much nicer than the ones I find on the side of the road.

This bring up a serious guy thing. Bikes and some trap harnesses beat the crap out of your prostate. This can cause your PSA to go up. If it keeps going up, the next stap involves needles, pain and humiliation. A good bike seat and a crotchless harness that fits may just spare you this. Your choice.

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 04:25 PM

That Marine Max harness with the leg straps works for me.

Do need to get one of those new-fangled bike seats though.... Good point. Or, maybe I'll just walk...

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 06:45 PM

I've lost about 25# in 6 weeks
yeah about that, your to skinny to be in the Nacra 20 fleet now....

The Inter 20's I'm rolling while going to weather find this distracting.. yet another bonus.
Distracting, I'll say, I thought I was good at being distracting to others ... my god... I was convinced you had crew and that they were about to die painfully. Nice work, I'll have to step it up to compete.

Re: Biking? - 11/07/08 06:56 PM

shhhh . . .they may take away your A-Class card.
Posted By: sarahla

Almost as good as a Marstrom. - 11/12/08 07:50 PM

Colnago. BOOM. All your carbon can't beat vintage Italian.

Dear Interested Forum Users,

Let's take our relationship to the next level and start biking together. I'll race you to the boat park.

Love,
Sarah

[Linked Image]

Re: Almost as good as a Marstrom. - 11/12/08 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sarahla

[Linked Image]

Are you wearing heels on your bike?

Re: Almost as good as a Marstrom. - 11/12/08 08:31 PM

Does anyone actually ride their bike?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Almost as good as a Marstrom. - 11/12/08 08:32 PM

I try to find the time to ride mine 20 miles a day, just to burn off the beer.
Posted By: FasterDamnit

Re: Biking?......FIXED IS FUN - 11/12/08 08:35 PM

In CA I was cycling to Amtrak on an unbreakable Trek 930 w/ slicks and bigger 3rd ring up front for commuting. Found a great deal on a used 2200 Al fame/Carbon fork (everyone jumping on the carbon bandwagon) and built it up over time. It was much lighter, faster and responsive BUT- I just could not find a decent riding position. The more upright MB had spoiled me. If I want to go out for fun I still grab the 930 first...
Posted By: sarahla

Re: Almost as good as a Marstrom. - 11/12/08 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hobie1616
Originally Posted by sarahla

[Linked Image]

Are you wearing heels on your bike?

Are you?

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 08:02 AM

[Linked Image]

How many spokes on each wheel on the bike you ride?
That is a great looking machine.
Regards,
Phill

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 05:48 PM

I'm looking for a bike with an ice-cream cooler in front, so I can make money while I exercise... Maybe put some ginglies in the front so they know I'm coming...

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by phill

[Linked Image]

How many spokes on each wheel on the bike you ride?
That is a great looking machine.
Regards,
Phill

Front wheel 18, rear wheel 20. The latest high end wheels have as little as 16 and can cost as much $2,000 a set. Kinda like a new set of sails.

The bike is a great ride. The frame is very stiff in the bottom bracket area but the beam flexes about a half inch which makes for a very confortable ride.

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 09:01 PM

Thanks, just wondering.
I have 16 on my front and 20 on the rear.
Alloy frame with carbon front forks and carbon rear stays.
I like my bike, it suits me well, but I really like the look or your bike.
Posted By: isvflorin

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 09:48 PM

Now I fell like coming from the stoneage with my crappy Bulgarian manufactered "Swisse" labeled mild steel framed cheap MTB. But I love riding it. Hell, I'll ride a coffee grinder afterall, riding is great.

PS - can you get more adjectives than those in a phrase ?

Regards,

Re: Biking? - 11/14/08 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by phill
I like my bike, it suits me well, but I really like the look or your bike.

Chicks dig it. whistle

Re: Biking? - 11/15/08 03:25 AM

one has 32 and the other has 36
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums