Catsailor.com

Easy cat car topping...my new rack

Posted By: ejpoulsen

Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 06:03 AM

Just created a van rack to carry my cat. I wanted it to be no more hassle than a trailer and allow me to load/unload without assistance. Cost $50 for the ladder rack off Craig's list and $25 for wood, hardware, etc. The dolly is essential--see photos. Drives very nice down the freeway. Not shown are the mast cradles--the stick hangs over each bumper about 5 feet.

Attached picture DSC_0012.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0015.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0017.jpg

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 06:05 AM

more loading pics

Attached picture DSC_0019.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0022.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0026.jpg

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 06:09 AM

I'm ready to load the mast and hit the road. The front beam wedges under a foam-covered bracket; then I strap down the back beam and it's rock solid. I can load or unload in about 5 minutes.

Attached picture DSC_0034.jpg
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 08:25 AM

Nice!
Posted By: gtny

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 12:14 PM

Ingenious....well done!
Have a few questions:
1) Assuming those are cat trax wheels....do they rest in any sort of slot on the rear of the rack?
2)Are the rear cradles just scooped out 2"x10"s?
3) Can you send add'l photos?
Thanks!
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 12:21 PM

Now THIS is what I am talking about. Though, you are putting an Acat up there, what kind of weight limit will that rack support? I have been tryign to think this through, as I want to be in the same situation because I cant pull 2 trailers in AZ and sometimes going to Cali sucks driving at 55 on a freeway, with a 1500k trailer behind me. But here are some of my caveats, that I have thought about.

1. Own a Nacra 20, so I dont know if I can manage lifting my boat up on top there single handed. Maybe a pulley system to get it up, then drive underneath it?
2. Own a suburban and I believe the van racks use the drippers on the side for support, so dont really wanna use the cheap rack system for the weight. So, thinking of running a system off the front and rear bumpers, but be able to pull a toy hauler if need be. Thing is, steel has gone through the roof, so a little hesitant on that.

I would like to see more pics though.

Jonathan Grant
Mesa, AZ
Nacra 20
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 03:47 PM

Eric:

That is a very nice system. I had to send the link to Pete M. He always carries his A-cat on the top of his van. I see that you got an A3. I met you when you were looking at Jay Glaser's Boyer. Who's boat did you pick up?

Later,
Dan

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 03:55 PM

This rack is rated for 500 lbs, but I also have a third cross bar if I wanted to add it. The dolly is a Seitech dolly but any dolly would work. The dolly sits in hooks, visible in the photos--they're the hooks sold for hanging your bicycle in the garage. I hate driving 55 with my trailer here in California; I can tell you that the boat feels very solid at freeway speeds with no appreciable wind noise either. I haven't checked my MPG yet, though wink

Attached picture DSC_0002.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0003.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0035.JPG

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 04:01 PM

Mast cradles--two of them--one sits on each crossbar, so the mast goes under the tramp and is very secure and safe. Also, when I'm rigging alone I can sit the mast in the rear cradle, making the process of raising the mast easier.

Attached picture DSC_0005-sm.jpg

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_Delave
Eric:

That is a very nice system. I had to send the link to Pete M. He always carries his A-cat on the top of his van. I see that you got an A3. I met you when you were looking at Jay Glaser's Boyer. Who's boat did you pick up?

Later,
Dan

It's Howie Hamlin's A2--Howie did a lot of tuning with it but I'm fixing up a few things right now.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 04:12 PM

Good one Eric!
Here are some pics of a fully automatic loader for a guy to trailer his truck and H16 behind a motorhome. Works well for the heavier boats.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For more pics go here:
Truck Rack

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 08:55 PM

It's a great way to open up a hitch for towing other boats.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 09:47 PM

On the H16 setup, that is what I am envisioning.... I still question the weight to ge the bows up to the starting position. Maybe it is just me, but I dont see him doing that by himself, without a hastle at least? Or am i missing something there? got any higher res pics???

Jonathan
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/21/08 10:06 PM

he has a winch to bring it up.
Posted By: windswept

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/22/08 02:12 AM

I like your system. I used to cartop my Boyer until I built a trailer for it.
Posted By: andre1

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/25/08 02:50 AM

Is the weight of the boat resting on the beams of the boat ontop of the roof rack? Did you use a winch to pull it up?

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/25/08 05:18 AM

Nope. The hulls are resting on the cradles. Two dudes lifted it up there.

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/25/08 05:43 AM

Whereas with my rack the boat is supported on its beams--preferable for an A.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/27/08 11:05 PM

If Jeremy was selling monohulls or power boats he'd probably move them like this.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: CaptainKirt

Re: Easy cat car topping...my new rack - 10/28/08 03:25 AM

Eric!
I remember our conversation about this! Very nice!! Guess Momma's got her trailer to sleep in now! "Between F16's" must mean you sold your 4.9 already?? How do you like the A2?? I'm still working on the system I was talking about to carry on my truck but it won't be as simple/inexpensive/light as this one! Problem is my truck cap is >7' off the ground.

Kirt
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums