Catsailor.com

Ok, so we got a seat at the table...

Posted By: John Williams

Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 06:05 AM

Thanks to a lot of hard work, e-mails, and lobbying by cat sailors worldwide, we have a seat at the table next week at the ISAF meeting in Madrid, Spain. The new Multihull Commission will meet on Friday afternoon, November 7th. I will be there to represent the US. An agenda and mission are being developed, but since I'm your guy, tell me what you want to see set as priorities going forward. Don't limit yourself to the 2012 Games - think ahead and beyond. If 2012 (or the Games in general) is our only issue, we may not last long...

Seriously - let me know what you're thinking.
Posted By: fin.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 07:22 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Reinstate the Tornado.
Posted By: ncik

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 07:34 AM

Racing formats. It isn't all about mid-size windward returns. Cats are good for long distance races.
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 08:35 AM

Start a process to get athlete representation with rights to vote into Council.
Disband the executive committee.
Today ISAF Council representatives are appointed through their respective MNAs. They are not elected by members. The representatives should be elected by the members. The distance from members to the politicians with blazers and white hats in Council is not sustainable.
One country one vote in Council.

Same number of boats/classes/medals for both sexes in the games.
Make sure most types of sailing is represented. Dinghy, windsurfer, keelboat, multi (I omit kite for now). See if there is room for foilers.
Start a process to get ice sailing into the winter games.

Start a process to have the rules simplified. 2 rules should do. Dont collide or you are both tossed and dont mouth off (Ok, so perhaps we need something about not crossing the starting line before the flag and so on).

Start a process evaluating the format for racing.
Start a process to get tracking more accessible for TV/spectators (like virtual spectator, but cheap and accessible for event organizers).

Dont think much of this will ever fly, but this is what I would like to see changed with ISAF.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 09:39 AM

Start a process to get ice sailing into the winter games

Or landyachting into the summer games. More nations have good landsailing spots then good waterfronts, especially third world nations. Iceyachting/landyachting is also alot easier to televise.

Classes to think about in landyachting, Blokart, Promo. Both are tightly controlled inexpensive classes. Promo is the best option in my opinion with speeds above 80 km/u and race-cars going for 3500-4500 Euro's.

I think it would be good for the multihull committee to profile itself as looking beyond their own direct interests (multihulls) as that would strengthen the position to include the multies next to the mono's as well. Inclusiveness to all !

I'm all onboard for :

{quote]
Start a process to get tracking more accessible for TV/spectators (like virtual spectator, but cheap and accessible for event organizers).
[/quote]

Also educate the committees mildly about the fact that SMOD isn't a dime less expensive or better then a well regulated formula setup. The boards are already formula, cats as good as. SMOD is actually more expensive to poorer nations as they can't locally produce !

Wouter
Posted By: erice

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen

Start a process to get ice sailing into the winter games.

i'm living in nagano city, which held the 1998 winter games, and worked for cbs for 6months over the games period

there is no ice sailing nor ice sailing venues in so many countries that have held or want to hold the games that i think that might be very difficult...

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 01:25 PM

Sure, but if one dont have visions, you dont make progress wink
Posted By: windswept

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 03:15 PM

John,

first, good luck at the meeting. Great work on your part and the many others who have been involved with this effort. My #1 priority is still getting a multihull back into the Olympics. Beyond that, I think that there are many other issues that need to be addressed, but am not sure what can be addressed at this meeting.

First is the racing format and accessibility to the viewers. I am not saying that the iShares format would work in the Olympics, but as far as accessibility and excitement it seems to be working very well. Right now throughout the different classes there are different race courses and to the viewer that creates confusion to non-sailors. Standardize the race courses. Add a distance race into the format. Switch courses progressively through the games. Windward/leeward, add a reaching leg another day and so-on. Focus on media coverage. Get a worldwide push on youth development, not just in cat classes, but sailing in general. While, I will never make the Olympics, I would like to help in this effort. I like what the ITA is doing to change the perception of the class, but overall going to strict one-design is not going to really change the costs in the class all that much. Clear up the voting proccess so that what happened last November cannot happen again. Change in voting proceedures, building coalitions away from the vote, manipulating the outcome to your favor and so on. Get gender equality and adopt the five disciplines approach to the sport. Those are my views John. Again, good luck and let us know how we can best support your efforts. Thank you.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 03:23 PM

John, you can tell them, Now that we have a seat, we have Multihuller's joining US Sailing once again. And where do I send my check to re-join, under the Multihull classification, if there is one? (Does the Golden Anchor still exist, and isn't that a strange name for multihulls, since we never carry anchors??)

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 03:59 PM

Tim -
http://www.ussailing.org/multihull/ga_form.asp

Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams

John,

I joined as a regular member. How do I change to the Multihull list?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 04:45 PM

Thanks JW, check's in the mail!

Hey, all you other peoples, I just noticed two things on the Multihull application posted above,

1. You save $10 over the regular US Sailing membership ($50 vs. 60)

2. For only $10 you can get a 1yr. subscription to Multihulls Magazing, normally about $21! If you havenot read Multihulls, it is a great magazine feturing mostly world wide cruising locations and large cruising cats, but also covers large multihull racing around the world, and also has some beach cat racing as well, like the F18 Archipalego Raid. It's all very good stuff, lots of pictures.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 05:12 PM

ISAF needs to rethink the elite racing system.

The balanced 5 disiplines approach is a winner.

We need a gold cup of high profile regattas in windy venues that the elite olympic boats compete in. It needs to hire a marketing firm to elevate the personalities in the sport and coordinate with the regatta management at these events.

The second tier cats, F18's, A class and Hobie 16's. Could try to leverage these venues with events that mirror the Olympic boats and draw in these top sailors to add pizazz and interest in their events. ISAF should market these second tier classes as feeder classes for the big show. Fans like to follow their favorites as they climb the ranks and step up to the big leagues.

They should market the up and coming young guys who are attempting to make the olympic circuit.

The second tier classes could opt for an open and corinthian division if they need to preserve a balance between the two types of sailors and don't want to change their culture (Hobie 16's would come to mind) ... see the melges 24 NA's.

They need to insist that Olympic sailing countries support the elite and rank and file program with a real junior program in the 5 disiplines.

They need a ranking system for the elite level. The ranking system should score 8 gran prix type events that are marketed like a gran prix circuit. The ranking should be seperate from the one design class rank which is meaningless... You can't try to rank 200 Tornado sailors.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
They need to insist that Olympic sailing countries support ........ a real junior program in the 5 disiplines.

This is an interesting thought, but how would it be achieved. Could youth representation at the youth worlds be a requirement for senior qualification to the Olympics? Would this introduce more youth to sailing or just rule out marginal countries?
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 11:09 PM

Replace Tornado with F18 for 2012 and after. Each Olympics choose a manufacturer and race one-design as in Alter Cup format. Rotate manufacturer each Olympics. Give JW a lifetime free rum drink card for all the work he's done.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/30/08 11:33 PM

Can I see your papers please. Oh wait, you have 1 more day. Carry on.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 12:22 AM

Here is my idea from a very provincial US perspective.

ISAF holds the tickets to the big events. Use them as leverage. Only give those tickets to countries that have a clear pathway for each disipline. Set a standard and make the countries show you their pathway meets the standard. If you are not developing the sport in your region with an elite junior program and sending competitors to compete at the ISAF junior events...Oh well... no adult ticket to the big dances.

(It could be as lame as designating one junior M and F in each class.. but ISAF pressure will force the MNA's to focus their resourcess to grow the sport at the junior level.)

FYI, The US program puts all their money towards "Olympic Level Sailors" If ISAF developed the sport properly... these elite guys might be able to cover their costs on a gran priz cirucit through sponsorship. If the ticket's are limited by ISAF to three per qualified country for these elite events... the MNA's would invest resources properly.

In the USA...our junior sailors could only find a legit path to the olympics for Lasers and 470's.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by BrianK
Replace Tornado with F18 for 2012 and after. Each Olympics choose a manufacturer and race one-design as in Alter Cup format. Rotate manufacturer each Olympics. Give JW a lifetime free rum drink card for all the work he's done.

I think that with time quickly running out the tornado probably would get the nod. I think that then 2016 is when to focus upon new equipment. All of this is speculation though at this moment.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 09:19 AM

I would say move sailing to a more spectator friendly sport.

Shorter course races, with the course very close to shore. 4 short races back to back per day. Allow the spectators to get up close to the boats, including boat park. Set up venues with temporary cafes, music (or live bands)..... Create a carnival atmosphere.

Perhaps model it of the Volvo Champions Series

Oh and keep the big T.

Get the 2 most exciting Olympic classes (Tornado and 49er), invite the elite sailors, major sponsors, media / TV coverage, cherry picker over the water filming, grand stand on shore for spectators and a bottom mark 40 meters from the shore and the prize money just roles in.

Volvo Champions series curtesy of Tornado guru Roland Gaebler

[Linked Image]

35.000 Spectators celebrated the first 2004 Volvo Champions Race in Bavaria.

Bundock/Howden win first Tour Stop.

One thing was crystal clear when the first 2004 Volvo Champions Race ended this Sunday in Starnberg, Bavaria: 35000 spectators have seen the biggest sailing festival ever happening at Lake Starnberg. Three days of action-packed racing with rounding marks not more than 40 metres away from the audience at the shores created a unique stadion athmosphere. Said three times Olympic Champion Jochen Schumann who lives around 40 kilometres away from the venue in Penzberg and visited the event. "it's been a great event and perfect advertising for our sport.I really enjoyed being there".

It's been an exciting last day as the fight for podium places was not decided before the last race in the Tornado Class. It were then four times World Champion Darren Bundock and his British crew Will Howden, Tour winners of last year's first Volvo Champions Race Series to start into the new Tour with another win.
Austria's Olympic Champions Roman Hagara and Hans Peter Steinacher came second ahead of Sydney's Bronze Medallist Roland Gabler and his crew Gunnar Struckmann.

The tricky conditions on Lake Starnberg offered more stable and stronger winds up to five Beaufort on the last day. Nobody and nothing could stop the young German brothers Pit and Hannes Peckolt to win the 49er event with a clear lead over their fellow country men and reigning European Champions Marcus Baur and Max Groy. Last year's Volvo Champions Race Tour winners Peter and Soren Hansen from Denmark had a great last day with a third and a first thus securing third place overall.

Thomas Hanel, Director of Public Affairs & Events for Volvo Car Germany, said in his final round-up, "already day one has much more than fullfilled our expectations. Saturday and Sunday have been sensational. The audience is enthusiastic about our new race format. I guess we can really claim that there is no more spectator friendly sailing series in Germany at present than the Volvo Champions Race".

That the people really liked the close race action, the 30 world class teams from ten nations and the attractice shore programme with entertaining shows of TV star cook Alfons Schuhbeck, long party nights with life bands and Saturday night's amazing music firework is also underlined by a few impressive numbers from the party tent: Schuhbeck's team served more than 6000 hot meals, 3000 sausages and more than 2500 litres of beer.

The Volvo Champions Race in Starnberg, Bavaria is the first of three Stops of this year's Volvo Champions Race Tour. Following are the Volvo Champions Races in Rostock (2 - 4 July) and Travemunde (24 - 26 September) right after the Olympics.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 02:38 PM

Alive
The question is not what or how ... The event you point to and Roland's Gold Cup series were very succesful. But they were not sustained... Why?

The problem is that many of the historic regatta's suck ... and offer no opportunity to market sailing by doing these kinds of things. These events are not going away because they are part of the ISAF and Corinthian sailing culture. ISAF would have to sanction or invent these new gran prix events and push the old regattas back to their Corinthian roots.

So... Does ISAF have the vision and skills to do this reinvention .... OR do you try to build this elite racing circuit apart from ISAF?

Here is an example of how the program is mixed up in the US... the Miami Olympic Class Regatta, or OCR is the only ISAF grade 1 event. Should my neice be able to register and go race on her laser? Should a hacker like me be allowed to compete just because I owned a Tornado. (The standing joke was who would rise to the top of the Kiddie pool)

The ISAF sanctioned grade one event is just a multi class one design regatta.... If you own the boat.... pay your US Sailing dues and go! What is special about that?

Look at golf or NASCAR racing... they have qualification series that you need to succeed at in order to make the big show. Scarcity focus'es the mind... Look at qualifiying for a worlds in a popular class.... It is much much more intresting to the competing sailors and the sailing fans.

This is a tough political problem... The people running the classic Corinthia regattas will not want to loose their ISAF cachet... but ... these are the same people you will need to put on the ISAF Gold cup events in windy locations.

Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 03:49 PM

FYI:

For US SAILING Membership you may contact:

Ms Kate Daley, Membership Directer
E-Mail Address: katedaley@ussailing.org
Phone # (401)683-0800 ex685

Please note she is "REALLY GOOD PEOPLE" and will help you in any way she can ..... she will make sure that your membership WILL be through the Multihull Council-Golden Anchor Program.

ANNOUNCEMENT (from Kate):
Starting in 2009 all multihullers joining US Sailing through the Multihull Council will have unique membership cards and be included on a seperate "Multihull Membership" list... so multihullers will not be lost in the general membership pool ... and be able to officially prove ....

WE ARE MULTIHULLERS !!!!!!

HarryMurphey
H18MAG/P19MX
Hobie Fleet 54/CRAC-Open Class

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail SAFE

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 05:07 PM

Done. Very nice lady indeed.
Posted By: Don_Atchley

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 07:01 PM

I'd like to see more opportunity to have sponsorship. To be able to put advertising on the boats. These spinnakers offer a great platform that others would be willing to help pay for.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 08:16 PM

All of the ISAF world events are Cat C events,

All most all local cat events are Catagory C.... (Ask Todd or Jake about stickers.)

While Todd was out tybee 500ing... ISAF decided to clear up our long running dispute and declared that he was not a pro sailor for putting stickers on his sail!

The problem is finding that sponsor... take a look at the Melges 24 NA's... not many boats are flying sponsorship.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tikipete
Done. Very nice lady indeed.

Not only is she nice, she's a hottie, too wink
(I met her at the US Sailing AGM a couple of weeks ago.)

Though way too young for you or me, Pete. Well, maybe you. laugh

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 10/31/08 10:53 PM

smile And my wife thought it was just about sailboats.
Posted By: It's Arthur Piver's fault

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/02/08 10:00 AM

I'm down with electing representatives, more shorter races near the shore and mixing up the type of racing - also making the multi a gender neutral event.

When I sailed CORK I sat out a race near the leeward mark. I had a telephoto lens and had a ball photographing the fleet - a delight easily shared if the mark is 40 m from the shore - wow.

Which multi is a complex issue. Maybe having an A or B class open would spice things up. Maybe go really radical have only one measurement say 150 sq ft or 20' LOA and let the designers have some fun too. A single constraint would probably too radical for the ISF so an inexpensive production multi would probably be the best choice. I like switching boats for each Olympics. Making the selection process fair seems difficult. If the selection were made on numbers produced we might see Aquacats in the Olympics. Perhaps an ISF/Olympic A class that could be produced as an inexpensive one design by any manufacturer would be the way to go.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/02/08 01:35 PM

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/AGD_EQ-[5955].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2008_EC_12_11-[6073].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2008_OCSC_07_11-[6016].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/AGDMH-[6333].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/081-08_2012OlympicSailingCompetitionEvents-[6133].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/079-08_2012OlympicSailingCompetitionEvents-[6131].pdf
This is a link to the working agenda of the ISAF conference. Section 10 relates to Olympic equipment for 2012. As stated earlier, it did make the agenda. Section 10-D i,ii. I do not think I have these working as links. You will have to copy and paste until I figure out what I did wrong in posting them as links.
Posted By: It's Arthur Piver's fault

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/02/08 05:47 PM

OK, Thanks for the 'Heads Up' and the tools.

Clearly sailing and in particular the '11th Medal' and whether it will be a multihull event and further whether it will be a Tornado event are governed by the formal consideration of the various 'Submissions'.

Apparently there are political considerations as well as marketing issues and whether to adhere to the 5 disciplines.

Phew! And there's a full agenda for the Multihull Commission as well - not exactly an open invitation to wildcat rules and designs... although there is the 'ANY OTHER BUSINESS' item at the end of the meeting. laugh

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/06/08 03:20 PM

Well, the meetings start today. I hope that there is real progress during the meetings. Yachting NZ has stated one of the real concerns about leaving multihulls out for even one cycle and that is that the pipeline of sailors dries up as they switch to compete in other Olympic classes as well as it puts youth development into limbo. There definately is a lot of disagreement over both the 11th event submission and the five disciplines approach. I wish the multihull commission great luck during this meeting. They are definately fighting an uphill battle. Hopefully, John will send some updates during the meetings.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/07/08 05:18 AM

Things have started of well,I think. I had drinks with Bundy, Pascoe, Brouwer, Brookes, Phippes, Dinsdale, Skidmore and several other multihull sailors last night. Everyone seemed very in touch with just how important this opportunity is to our discipline. There is a pre-meeting meeting this morning to finalize strategy and approach - the intention is to have the Commission's time in the room be productive and organized. Since it is an open meeting, it is important to not give the impression that we are unable to reach consensus or are prone to tangential bickering.

I'm grateful to those who have posted here, reached out to me directly, or made your feelings and ideas known in St. Pete. I'll post more later as things progress.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/07/08 01:49 PM

Good luck!

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/07/08 08:40 PM

John,

How much of a consensus is there among the multihull committee? It sounds from your posting that there are some differring opions going on there. I would think that the agenda should be first, getting a multihull reinstated for 2012 and then what the equipment should be. As you know, I am a strong supporter of the Tornado for 2012. That would give time to either develop an alternate Olympic multihull class or decide upon an existing class to put forth as an Olympic candidate. Good luck during this meeting. You have our support. Let us know if there is anything that you need while there.
Posted By: rexdenton

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/07/08 09:31 PM

Thanks to a lot of hard work, e-mails, and lobbying by cat sailors worldwide, we have a seat at the table next week at the ISAF meeting in Madrid, Spain. The new Multihull Commission will meet on Friday afternoon, November 7th. I will be there to represent the US. An agenda and mission are being developed, but since I'm your guy, tell me what you want to see set as priorities going forward. Don't limit yourself to the 2012 Games - think ahead and beyond. If 2012 (or the Games in general) is our only issue, we may not last long...

Seriously - let me know what you're thinking.

John,

I am looking forward to your reports regarding today's discussions at ISAF. I hope to see the rigid 5 event slate adhered to, as specified and desired by IOC, to include the multi.

Still watching, a year after the Estoril meeting, many letters later...

Rex

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/08/08 09:01 AM

Quick one as I'm late for the next meeting;

The Commission's first meeting went really well and there were about 25 people in the room. It appears that the Program Commission will meet next month and recommend to the Exec of IOC that the deletions of several medals for the 2012 Games be postponed, which includes sailing. The Exec meets in February and will consider that recommendation. The Multihull Commission is recommending that the 11th medal go to a Multihull Event, and that the equipment be decided upon notification. We heard from Hobie in support of the Tiger, Nacra in support of the Infusion, and from the ITA in support of the new one-design Tornado. The Commission is recommending that if ISAF wants the highest performance, the Tornado be used, and if they are seeking a boat with wider distribution, that the Tiger be used. It was pointed out to us that the Infusion is not an ISAF Recognized Class. While the Nacra F18 was, the Infusion, with a different designer, hasn't completed the process nor affixed plaques and paid per-boat licensing.

Other things that were under discussion; the Commission is recommending that the Executive not support the submission from Yachting Australia to drop the SL16 as an eligible boat for use in the ISAF Youth Worlds. We also got some reassurance that the multihull event will remain in the Youth Worlds for the forseeable future.

The Commission came out in favor of the various Five Discipline submissions, and is urging the Exec to make a decision sooner than later to allow the evaluation of a Women's platform. There is some indication that those submissions will be pushed off until 2011 since they all deal with the 2016 Games.

More in a bit - wish you guys were here. :-)

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/08/08 02:59 PM

Quick one as I'm late for the next meeting;

The Commission's first meeting went really well and there were about 25 people in the room. It appears that the Program Commission will meet next month and recommend to the Exec of IOC that the deletions of several medals for the 2012 Games be postponed, which includes sailing.

John, that is very good news!

The Exec meets in February and will consider that recommendation.

I'd bet that the recommendation will be received favorably.

The Multihull Commission is recommending that the 11th medal go to a Multihull Event, and that the equipment be decided upon notification. We heard from Hobie in support of the Tiger, Nacra in support of the Infusion, and from the ITA in support of the new one-design Tornado. The Commission is recommending that if ISAF wants the highest performance, the Tornado be used, and if they are seeking a boat with wider distribution, that the Tiger be used. It was pointed out to us that the Infusion is not an ISAF Recognized Class. While the Nacra F18 was, the Infusion, with a different designer, hasn't completed the process nor affixed plaques and paid per-boat licensing.

Given the growth of the class, the F18 may be a better long-term strategy for MH OLympic development. Using an Alter rotation for the box class, it could be also used to the various Mfr's advantage. The T is certainly th MH thoroughbred, but integrating development of the more popular class by using the Olympics 'as one of our premier MH events' may ultimately garner greater sustainability, and excitement for MH's. (Don't get me wrong, I love the T, but thinking aloud here.) Choosing the growing boat class may work in the opposite direction as well, garnering greater excitement and better regional participation. The idea, overall, being to build a more solid and robust organization based on the growth potential of the competitive fleet.[/quote]

The Commission came out in favor of the various Five Discipline submissions, and is urging the Exec to make a decision sooner than later to allow the evaluation of a Women's platform. There is some indication that those submissions will be pushed off until 2011 since they all deal with the 2016 Games.

I'd rather like to see closure to the 5 event slate. There seems little reason to procrastinate, and the IOC has been clear about their desire on this point. Pushing it off may invite partisan lobbying, and it highly likely that veterans on the IOC many not be very tolerant. Disorganization and lack of efficiency may ultimately be bad for Olympic sailing.

Finally, I'd like to see some more robust methods of coverage. Sailing was better in China, but the internet offers many possibilities that were not explored. The coverage of sailing events could be greatly en as part of the sport which may be greatly enhanced by internet video feeds GPS resources, etc., that are currently available and relatively inexpensive technologies. Is their any forum for this discussion?

More in a bit - wish you guys were here. :-) [/quote]

We admire you, and thank you for your good work and commitment. And Congrats on the recent award!

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... - 11/08/08 04:21 PM

John,

That is good news. Thank you for all of your hard work and the commitment that you have given to this cause.
Posted By: dartfast

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/10/08 04:53 PM

John,
I am probably the only one confused about the Golden Anchor Membership thing so clue me in on the best choice.

My membership to U.S. Sailing is due for renewal on November 30, 2008. I have been a member for years and never knew of the Golden Anchor multihulls section to be counted in. After all the Tornado stuff this year I have been thinking of quitting U.S. Sailing. Don’t really use it much anymore.

My question is if I were going to renew a membership for next year which is the best way and how? Choices being: 1. Individual membership renewal form I received lists the cost of $60 for a year and includes 2009-2012 Rule Book, $25,000 Accident Medical Insurance and $50,000 Death Benefit. 2. Looking at the Golden Anchor form you put online the cost is $50 for a year but seems that it will expire Sept 30, 2009, doesn’t show what goes with it either, but does show support for multihulls, and what does that get us Cat Sailors?
How about the other question from the regular member that wants to be counted in the Multihull Council Golden Anchor section of U.S. Sailing?

This could be your opportunity to get off your chair and sell it to everyone.

Terry Fondrk
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/10/08 05:44 PM

John, I am VERY CONFUSED by this... Your avitar shows Mickey Mouse's Body and a human head... HOW CAN THIS BE????

Oh yea.. and thanks for the updates at the meeting...
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/10/08 05:49 PM

This could be your opportunity to get off your chair and sell it to everyone.

I hope I am just missunderstanding your meaning of that but John has been a HUGE voice for us. If you read any of his previous posts on the subject, You'll see he has been "off his chair" and doing more for us than any other cat sailor out there. I think a "thank you" would be more in line for him than a request from you.

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/12/08 03:32 PM

I promise to follow up on GA stuff in another thread. Still in the EU and internet has been spotty, but I think I have decent access for the next couple of days from Varona.

Short answer is that, yes, current members can "convert" their regular membership to show up under the Multihill Council Golden Anchor (MHC GA). Doesn't do much other than help us figure out how many members are sailing multihulls.

However! New and renewing members save money on their membership, get all the same benefits, and we get credits through the USSA store for merchandise - I'm waiting to see how much we earned this year, and we'll figure out how best to spend it. I expect around $100-150 or so. I'm proposing to the MHC that we either use it to subsidize the Area Reps' purchase of medals for the Qualifiers, or we can set up a new annual award for leadership in a regional fleet or something.

The MHC GA has two anniversary dates - March and September. If you're about to expire and want to get the most bang-for-the-buck, you can wait until after January 1st to renew, which will get you through March 2010. After that, you're back to a 12-month schedule.

Hope that gets to the initial questions - there is a new GA promotion out that I will be posting links to in the next few days.

More later... Ciao!

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/12/08 06:45 PM

Varona? Verona - Italy? Dont flirt with girls there if their brothers have knife scars wink And dont drink the grappa.. Or DO drink the grappa!!

If you have time to give us the executive brief in itemized form from the ISAF meeting.. It would be very interesting.

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/12/08 10:40 PM

Yep - Verona Italy... the Grappa bites. We are on our wedding anniversary trip. Leah has a conference here so I am playing tourist.

There is a full ISAF debrief coming - I also am pleased to have met Claus, who frequents Catsailor.

One thing I was reminded to make clear - The Commission's recommendations are made to the Executive, not the Council. We hope to see our recommendations carried through to the actual voting on issues, but there are no guarantees at this foot-in-the-door stage of things. I hope I did not give the impression that the recommendations we made are ISAF policy. There is more yet to do, and the voting continues this week.
Posted By: claus

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/12/08 10:46 PM

Pleased to meet you too John. It was a nice opportunity to get some multihullers together, and things are moving which is good. Hopefully MHC recommendations will be taken into account by the Executive...
Posted By: GISCO

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/13/08 12:03 AM

John,
After 20+ years with USYRU & USSA it's great to see that we still have a multihull council and represent us at ISAF. It now seems all worthwhile. You are doing a great job for us and it's really appreciated. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Gordon
Posted By: dartfast

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/13/08 09:10 PM

John,
Thanks for the Golden Anchor information. Just what I wanted in your usual expert and timely mannor.

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... - 11/14/08 02:28 PM

Yep - Verona Italy... the Grappa bites. We are on our wedding anniversary trip. Leah has a conference here so I am playing tourist.

There is a full ISAF debrief coming - I also am pleased to have met Claus, who frequents Catsailor.

One thing I was reminded to make clear - The Commission's recommendations are made to the Executive, not the Council. We hope to see our recommendations carried through to the actual voting on issues, but there are no guarantees at this foot-in-the-door stage of things. I hope I did not give the impression that the recommendations we made are ISAF policy. There is more yet to do, and the voting continues this week.

Thanks John. We look forward to the complete report.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums