2nd - Mark Smith, Bubba Barberi, N20
3rd - Bob Hodges, A-cat

More later. SCOOPED! cool
Posted By: Robi

Re: Area D South Results - 11/02/08 08:57 PM

LMAO
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 01:07 AM

I would like to thank all the sailors (15 boats) grin for coming out and braving the light air regatta. It was sailed in the wind ranges of 0-1 and 2-3. Very, very tough. I hope you had a safe and uneventful trip home!

Bob wink
Posted By: PTP

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 01:52 AM

Anybody have a link to the elapsed times?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 04:10 AM

The results should be available tomorrow (Monday) and before you get yourselves worked into a frezy... yes, they WILL be submitted to Darline at USSailing.

You want the number to change, submit your regatta results. The criteria is on the USSailing website and Darline is more than happy to process the information.

PTP you missed a VERY enjoyable regatta even if the wind was less than ideal.

W-T-F Robi! If you weren't off saving the world why weren't you in Pensacola! I thought Cap drivers were cool... I might have to rethink that.

Contrary to popular belief Bob Curry is not the devil, really it's true, last time I checked the devil didn't have to move hay bails with a tractor.
Posted By: Robi

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 04:41 AM

Boat is still broke, sorry
Posted By: fin.

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 11:18 AM

Congratulations! Very glad to see a good turn out.

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

PTP you missed a VERY enjoyable regatta even if the wind was less than ideal.

yeah yeah, although I don't think I could have raced in it, except as crew since I don't actually live there. I think I am going to limit my sailing to recreation for the most part, except maybe for the F16 event at GYC in March.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 01:45 PM

Congrats Mr. Curry

Do you guys know if Mark was using that "non standard" N20 sail?

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 01:49 PM

smile[very quietly LMAO]!
Posted By: tshan

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 01:50 PM

Congratulations Bob!! A good win against a very tough fleet.

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 02:06 PM

Mark was using stock sails. He is NOT allowed to sail outside his class rules for the Area Qualifier.

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 02:08 PM

Explain

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 02:32 PM

OH Lord! I thought Tad was joking, but I knew it would turn into a **** storm anyway!

This is me running away, because I am afraid, very afraid. shocked

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 03:29 PM

Oh yes, thats right. I should know the rules better smile

Results - 11/03/08 03:54 PM

Area D South Results
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 04:16 PM

Wow, the largest fleet was the N20, even with two of the regular N20 teams on their new Infusions. I'm sorry I didn't make it.
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 04:22 PM

photos are available on www.gulfsailing.com

results will be electronic asap

Cheers,
Bert Rice
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 05:09 PM

Am I seeing things?!?
[Linked Image]

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 05:10 PM

There are some NAF18 National pics mixed in. The pictures starting with Bob Hodges are from the Area D South Elims.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Area D South Results - 11/03/08 06:57 PM

...and the Minnesota sailor, Rick Adams, finishes 7th in his first regatta on his new to him F17, well done Rick, guess all that spin work paid off.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Results - 11/03/08 07:39 PM

We want elapsed times, so we can see who or what won the qualifier. Bob Curry or the peachy nacra-F17 USPN rating.

Wouter

Re: Results - 11/03/08 07:53 PM

Exactly the reason why the times were not provided. Do not use our Area Qualifier for your petty grievances.
Posted By: tshan

Re: Results - 11/03/08 07:59 PM

If Bob continued to sail like he was a month or so ago - he would have won on just about any handicap number. He works really hard at being fast and it has paid off. Good on him.

The elapsed times will be interesting, but my guess (I wasn't there) is that he was close to winning on elapsed times and won handily on handicap - which is the way the system works in the US. This should validate that the F17 is a fast boat.

We had a F17 place 2nd in the spin boat fleet at BSC's Cat Caper a weekend ago. It was well sailed and won a few races outright (over I20s and F16s) on elapsed time.

Re: Results - 11/03/08 08:18 PM

Exactly the reason why the times were not provided. Do not use our Area Qualifier for your petty grievances.

What a nonsense !

Only a week ago you yourself did a "alter cup related - class rules - personal grievances" dance on the F16 forum.

Besides, what is the secret ? We all know Bob is a very skilled sailor (and guys like John Casey, the Mc's and others weren't present this time!). Why not let the elapsed time results proof that he is ? What could be the shame/damage in that ?

We had to hear for long periods of time how the F16 rating was wrong and indeed the F16 class both actively and succesfully campaigned for both rating numbers to be lowered as to be fair to the sailor of other designs. In one case (1-up mode) even from 67 down to 63 ! A precedent for the Nacra F17 to follow ?

Would it be unfair in any way to hold another class to the same standard we (I) have submitted ourselves to in the past ?

So don't give us this BS, just give us the elapsed time results !

Unless there is something to hide of course ! whistle

Wouter

Re: Results - 11/03/08 08:25 PM

So give us the elapsed time results, unless their is something to hide of course !

Not even a "please"?

Re: Results - 11/03/08 08:27 PM

You are right.

Can we please have the elapsed time results ?

Wouter

Re: Results - 11/03/08 08:29 PM

I believe you have an obligation to disclose. It is not in your purview to decide what is petty and what is not.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Results - 11/03/08 08:46 PM

I'd be very interested in the elapsed times as this is an ideal race to put into the SCHRS "Rce library" as we run any changes to the rule thru example races to see what would happen.

We do not have much pukka data for the N17.

Please can we have a copy of the elapsed times.

Re: Results - 11/03/08 09:56 PM

pretty please with sugar on top?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Results - 11/04/08 12:43 AM

You guys have to offer him beer or rum. Sugar on top won't do much for you.
Posted By: MikeWilson

Re: Area D South Results - 11/04/08 01:43 AM

Mark used class legal, N 20 sails. He got good starts and sailed well.
Posted By: Acat230

Re: Results - 11/04/08 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by tshan
If Bob continued to sail like he was a month or so ago - he would have won on just about any handicap number. He works really hard at being fast and it has paid off. Good on him.

The elapsed times will be interesting, but my guess (I wasn't there) is that he was close to winning on elapsed times and won handily on handicap - which is the way the system works in the US. This should validate that the F17 is a fast boat.

We had a F17 place 2nd in the spin boat fleet at BSC's Cat Caper a weekend ago. It was well sailed and won a few races outright (over I20s and F16s) on elapsed time.

Tom,

On my A-Class, I was first to the weather mark in 3 out of 4 races (it would have been 4 out of 4 but I thought I was over early in the second race and went back and re-started, I was still 3rd to the weather mark). In the light air we had (1-6 knots) I'd get killed downwind by all the boats with the chutes as everyone there was pretty competent. But then upwind I'd nearly catch most of the boats that passed me downwind. In two races, Curry passed me downwind and then I passed him again upwind. There is a US Sailing course that has an upwind finish so it might have been interesting if we had done a race with three upwind legs (LOL)! My point is that I believe the F-17 should really rate right below what the A-Class currently is (around 64.6) or close to the F-16. I asked Bob about this and even he agreed that he is sailing the boat faster than its current rating. It's quite a challenge racing against the spinnaker boats with the A-Class. You have to sail defensively downwind to try to minimize your losses as boats roll up on you and then try to close the gap again upwind. I've never raced an Open Portsmouth regatta like this in fully powered conditions where I can fly a hull downwind. I'd like to do that.

Bob Hodges
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Results - 11/04/08 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Acat230

Tom,

On my A-Class, I was first to the weather mark in 3 out of 4 races (it would have been 4 out of 4 but I thought I was over early in the second race and went back and re-started, I was still 3rd to the weather mark). In the light air we had (1-6 knots) I'd get killed downwind by all the boats with the chutes as everyone there was pretty competent. But then upwind I'd nearly catch most of the boats that passed me downwind. In two races, Curry passed me downwind and then I passed him again upwind. There is a US Sailing course that has an upwind finish so it might have been interesting if we had done a race with three upwind legs (LOL)! My point is that I believe the F-17 should really rate right below what the A-Class currently is (around 64.6) or close to the F-16. I asked Bob about this and even he agreed that he is sailing the boat faster than its current rating. It's quite a challenge racing against the spinnaker boats with the A-Class. You have to sail defensively downwind to try to minimize your losses as boats roll up on you and then try to close the gap again upwind. I've never raced an Open Portsmouth regatta like this in fully powered conditions where I can fly a hull downwind. I'd like to do that.

Bob Hodges

My experience in sailing an F16 many times against fleets of 5-7 A-cats is that the F16 has a huge advantage downwind up until the As can go wild downwind. I still found the As tough to beat across the line around the full course since they're so fast upwind; but the current handicap put me right in the mix. Once the As can fly a hull downwind, the advantage of the spinnaker is dramatically less and the As become very hard to beat, even on handicap.

Incidentally, I find the current nacra 17 number hard to believe and is probably simply because there isn't much mixed fleet data for the boat.

Re: Results - 11/04/08 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

We aren't using the area qualifier for our petty grievances.... knowing the elapsed time has nothing to do with the Alter Cup. It is a valid request.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Results - 11/05/08 12:57 AM

"There is a US Sailing course that has an upwind finish so it might have been interesting if we had done a race with three upwind legs.....It's quite a challenge racing against the spinnaker boats with the A-Class".

Bob Hodges has reexperienced the past! I have sailed in the Alter Cup with the same result. A-class with 150.000 square feet vs Spin boats with about 2x the sail area make it difficult downwind. Races with odd numbers of legs would even up (probably reverse) this inequity- one that is presently not addressed by DPN. So---What are the times?

Re: Results - 11/05/08 01:21 PM

Your PM box is backed up again.

Later, duty calls.

Re: Results - 11/05/08 01:32 PM

Wow, how many messages do I have to delete?? I dumped about 30 yesterday and it's still full?? OK, I'll clean it again, try again when you can.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Results - 11/05/08 02:14 PM

the old forum let you have 400 messages. This one is set at 200
Posted By: tback

Re: Results - 11/05/08 02:24 PM

Timbo has 200 people that [actually] want to talk with him?
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Results - 11/05/08 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
the old forum let you have 400 messages. This one is set at 200

The new forum PM module is in a "thread" mode rather than like email. Is the new 200 limit for thread topics or individual entries, regardless of thread (topic) count?

Re: Results - 11/12/08 12:34 AM

still waiting....
Posted By: B Carlson

Re: Results - 11/12/08 01:19 AM

Regardless of which US Sailing course you sail, upwind finish or downwind, if the start finish line doesn't move I think your results will be similar.

With an up wind finish your start is somewhere in the middler of the course, thus your first beat is shorter and the margin between the various boats is smaller before turning down. In the end the distances are the same, assuming the start/finish line doesn't move.

Re: Results - 11/12/08 04:12 AM

PTP, I guess you will have to track down the Area D RC and get the actual times from them, unless they are listed on a website somewhere else.

And I've got my messages down to 70 now... ;^)

Re: Results - 11/12/08 11:47 AM

Darline Hobock handles all this stuff for USS, when she receives it. She does not collect or have any control over it's accuracy. She is a very nice lady and tried to retire from the position. No suitable replacement was found, so she is back in the middle. Or, so it seems.

hobockd@aol.com
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums