Catsailor.com

How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer?

Posted By: FasterDamnit

How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 12:16 AM

I have an endpole snuffer and spin about ready to go on the frankencat. I think it is a two patch sail. How do you run the retrieval line?
Posted By: GeoffS

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 02:24 AM

I used to have an end pole snuffer and 2 patch spin on an I17R. Here is how it was routed on that boat:

through bag -> out of hoop -> up back side of spin -> through lower patch -> up front side of spin -> terminate at upper patch

"back" and "front" of spin correspond to the spin on the side of the boat where you do most of your take downs.

Geoff
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 02:48 AM

Dont forget the grommet on the tramp where the line runs from the bag(underneath the tramp) to the mast as a 1 piece halyard/snuffer line. we have mounted our spin cleat(Harken pivoting exit block) on the mast at a little below shoulder height on the starboard side of the mast. Evryone does it different, but this works well for us.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 03:42 AM

OK-
Do you put a knot in the line at the bottom patch? Hadn't thought of the continuous line- what type of line do you recommend?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 03:50 AM

there are many ways to do it,.. but i am sure that each boat, gear and spin have their own optimal way to get it to work best....

i have a 2 patch (mid pole snuffer) and i run the line all on the same side of the spin. i have a little ring on the lower patch (for the line to slide through) and a tie off point on the upper patch.

I would strongly suggest you seek other boats with spins and see their system,.. or even better crew with them to see it in action.

For ME, i was miserable the first 12 times i used it... the next 10 it got better... now i LOVE downwind with the spin....
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 09:05 AM

Don't tie off to the bottom patch; just run straight through. I have an endpole ring and bag that I'll get rid of cheap if you're interested.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 02:12 PM

Thanks, BLR. I have an integrated carbon pole/snuffer (currently broken waiting for a splice tube to show up.) But I am interested for a possible backup. PM me!

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FasterDamnit
OK-
Do you put a knot in the line at the bottom patch? Hadn't thought of the continuous line- what type of line do you recommend?

I assume you mean, a knot to avoid it from bunching up and jamming during retrieval? if that is the case: that didn't work for me... i always had some of the spin hanging out of the basket (may work better on an end snuffer). what does work (FOR ME) is i use a little plastic stopper ball (like the ones that you put on the end of your furler line) and tie a 10inch (est) bowline loop at the top patch. this stops the chute from bunching up

Line: i had 6mm Samson XLS, but switched to 4 mm. i think it may be to thin as it FLYs through the spinlock to fast and drops the chute to fast (into the water) and think 5mm may be the way to go...

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 03:30 PM

the line runs thru the middle patch, then ties off to the top patch. You may have to play with it to get the right length and configuration to snuff the whole chute. Its important when you set the pole heigth to make sure the spin luff is the correct tension. Dont skimp on this when rigging the pole system.
Posted By: AzCat

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 04:48 PM

I have a one line system. 5mm robline run per http://www.catsailor.com/bb files/113750-spintang.gif
I hope that gets you there. There is a great write up on the forum with pics that I used, I'll try to find it.
I ran the retreval as described previously but found that the spin wouldent go all the way into the bag and sometimes balled up at the hoop. I tied a 12" line to the tack so that it would go deeper into the sock. I also put a tenis ball on the line about 12" from the the upper attachment point on the sail.
I attached a bungee across the rear of the tramp and attached a small block which the sheet - retreval runs through to take up some slack. Didnt need a grommet in the tramp as the sock is far enough forward for direct pull out the rear.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 05:25 PM

check out my old site for pics and things
http://www.powergroovesailing.com/nacra_f18_pics_and_rigging_tips.htm

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by azcat
I I also put a tenis ball on the line about 12" from the the upper attachment point on the sail.

TENNIS BALLS???? FOR REAL??????

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 10:54 PM

Just ordered the Harken exit block and have dyneema for the bow bridle. Have Ronstan auto ratchet blocks and turning blocks from Harken. Pole has a bag on it.
What should I get for sheets?

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/06/09 10:59 PM

Line: i had 6mm Samson XLS, but switched to 4 mm. i think it may be to thin as it flies through the spinlock to fast and drops the chute to fast (into the water) and think 5mm may be the way to go...

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 01:53 AM

Ask Treyline about Robline sheets, he is pretty sold on them, I have a Robline main, good hand feel, not sold on it yet though(not tested enough because I suck and dont sail enough)

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
I I also put a tenis ball on the line about 12" from the the upper attachment point on the sail.

TENNIS BALLS???? FOR REAL??????

I'll use it till someone gives me a better idea. IT WORKS GREAT.
Woops, my finger slipped, I wasn't yelling.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 02:02 PM

It just seems like a lot of weight up there... Robbie Daniels suggested this to me (after i bought my spin from him and Jill) and it works very well for me....

i use a little plastic stopper ball (just above the lower patch) and tie a 10inch (est) bowline loop at the top patch. this stops the chute from bunching up
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dave mosley
(not tested enough because I suck and dont sail enough)

Ah geeze Dave, if you're going to disarm us how are we going to kick you in the nuts?
Posted By: Chris9

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 02:37 PM

On the lower patch I use a small piece of line with a loop in one end and a small stopper ball on the other. The loop is on the side you want to douse from and the snuffer line runs thru it. Maybe this has already been covered. Know that I am thinking of it maybe the line should be a little longer allowing the top patch to offset from the lower patch and the top patch to enter the snuffer head first....hmmm

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 02:44 PM

Great stuff guys-
Thanks!

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris9
On the lower patch I use a small piece of line with a loop in one end and a small stopper ball on the other. The loop is on the side you want to douse from and the snuffer line runs thru it. Maybe this has already been covered. Know that I am thinking of it maybe the line should be a little longer allowing the top patch to offset from the lower patch and the top patch to enter the snuffer head first....hmmm

what does the ball do (besides stop the loop from popping through the grommet?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Ah geeze Dave, if you're going to disarm us how are we going to kick you in the nuts?

With a foot? Even dis-armed, you still have two legs. +groan+
Posted By: Jake

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams

Yes, true, but as this past year shows, you're going to have to go to Columbia, SC to do it because he's not coming to you! eek
Posted By: Chris9

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 06:13 PM

"what does the ball do (besides stop the loop from popping through the grommet?"

It doesnt stop the loop from going thru the grommet, it dead-ends the other end of the loop line from going thru the grommet.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 06:51 PM

I have had to put the little plastic ball on there as well to keep the pigtail from getting sucked into the little patch rings.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris9

"what does the ball do (besides stop the loop from popping through the grommet?"

It doesnt stop the loop from going thru the grommet, it dead-ends the other end of the loop line from going thru the grommet.

Gotcha,... that's what i meant... just didnt express it well.

I have a small ring that does the same thing...

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 08:41 PM

"Its just a flesh wound, dont you have more?"

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Yes, true, but as this past year shows, you're going to have to go to Columbia, SC to do it because he's not coming to you! eek

now that hurt me deep....did you get that new Ashby sail because i beat you in Columbia?(fine print...in one race)
Posted By: Jake

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dave mosley

now that hurt me deep....did you get that new Ashby sail because i beat you in Columbia?(fine print...in one race)

finer print - in 0.32 knots of wind. smile

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/07/09 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
finer print - in 0.32 knots of wind. smile

LOL

Well there is something to be said about sailing well in light air!

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 04:35 AM

It just seems like a lot of weight up there... Robbie Daniels suggested this to me (after i bought my spin from him and Jill) and it works very well for me....

i use a little plastic stopper ball (just above the lower patch) and tie a 10inch (est) bowline loop at the top patch. this stops the chute from bunching up

How about a picture or drawing of this. My dog keeps eyeballing the temnnis ball.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 01:49 PM

which persons rig do you want to see?
Posted By: fin.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 02:24 PM

All.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 02:55 PM

here you go (not my current spin) [Linked Image]

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 03:08 PM

Thanks! I've destroyed my spinnaker. Maybe the new one will last a little longer.

Another change I will make is attaching the spinnaker sheets. Now I use the old way: continuous sheet with knots at the clew. Timbo uses a small pig tail from the middle of the sheet to the clew. I think he picked that up from Andi Lutz(?)in Switzerland; lots of European use that method.

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tikipete
Thanks! I've destroyed my spinnaker. Maybe the new one will last a little longer.

Another change I will make is attaching the spinnaker sheets. Now I use the old way: continuous sheet with knots at the clew. Timbo uses a small pig tail from the middle of the sheet to the clew. I think he picked that up from Andi Lutz(?)in Switzerland; lots of European use that method.

How does the pigtail attach to the sheets?

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tikipete

Another change I will make is attaching the spinnaker sheets. Now I use the old way: continuous sheet with knots at the clew.

How long did your old one last? why did it die?

I also use stopper knots at the clew and have no problems with that

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by FasterDamnit
How does the pigtail attach to the sheets?

some people splice it in, others may have other methods

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 04:00 PM

"How does the pigtail attach to the sheets?"- splice, I think.

My spin is still servicable but looks like it was shot with a shotgun; there are so many patches. Most of the damage is the result of pitchpoles and trying to retrieve the spin wet.

Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 04:07 PM

here you go (not my current spin) [Linked Image]

Your spin has a rash. grin

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Your spin has a rash. grin

LOL! that was my "starter spin" $50, came with the pole, tack lines, blocks, and bag... Yes it had over 50 patches.. but it was a great way to start... it was an Hobie Tiger spin.. and worked pretty well until 1 day during launch i heard RRRrrripppppp... (i was stepping on my retrieval line while i was trying to launch) so i pulled harder and then heard RRRRRRIIIIPPPPP RRRIIIIPPPP.

I made a jib bag out of the part that wasn't completely shredded!

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/08/09 04:37 PM

How about a picture or drawing of this. My dog keeps eyeballing the temnnis ball.

Here is a picture of how the tennis ball would work

[Linked Image]

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/09/09 03:11 AM

I have Mr. Mosly's old spin. The term used to describe it was "acne"...

Re: How to rig retrieval line on endpole snuffer? - 01/09/09 02:39 PM

It sure is easy to "dimple" your spin.

I had my brand new spin out for a test ride in 4MPH wind when it got tangled and tore in the furler... i had a just started to use a small carabiner to attach my jib to the furler... bad idea! I quickly switched back to line... and taped up ALL rigs, and silicone everywhere!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums