Catsailor.com

Skipper's responsibilities/liability

Posted By: TeamChums

Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:35 PM

Just wanted to get a few opinions here about what you all think should be the responsibility of the skipper when it comes to the safety of your crew and others.
This actually happened at a regatta last spring at Lake Sommerville in Texas: The winds were pretty honkin and one P 19 had a front crossbeam failure causing the boat to break in half and injure the crew enough that she needed to be rushed to th emergency room with a bad knee injury. I'm not real anal about boat rigging but this boat looked pretty bad before it broke. I wouldn't want to sail on it. Anyway, while someone else took said crew to the emergency room, the skipper was somewhat amused by how bad his boat broke apart. He was a former rigger in the Clearlake area and upon looking at the mess, I think I have a good idea as to why he went out of business. He showed no concern at all about his crew. From what I was told, he never went to the hospital to check on her. He packed up the mess and went home. I later got a call from one of her friends asking to help find the skipper since he wouldn't return the crew's phone calls as she needed surgery for her injury. She had no health insurance. The word I got was he didn't have insurance on the boat either. I could be wrong on that one but who knows.
I believe the skipper should be fully responsible for the crew's safety and well being.
Posted By: fin.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:42 PM

The only time I would accept full responsibility would be when a minor is involved. I've no idea how the law comes down on the issue.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:43 PM

I fully agree that the skipper is responsible for the safety of the crew and is liable for her injuries. I don't know the law in texas but here in cali she would own his house and boat now.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:44 PM

The guy does seem like a jerk, but maybe I'll just sail solo from now on.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:48 PM

While I certainly think that the skipper holds a great deal of responsibility when it comes to the boat condition and the operation of the vessel, I also believe in a strict sense of self-responsibility.

If this crew member willingly knew that this boat was unseaworthy and agreed to go out on it anyways, then she bears the responsibility of what happens to her during an accident. When it boils down to it, nobody is holding a gun to her head and forcing her to sail on a boat that she (presumably) knew was not safe.

All of the above is based on the premise that the boat was obviously busted before it left the beach. When deception or negligence comes into play, the waters are considerably muddied.

I've seen some pretty derelict vessels "make it" much further than you think they would (hell, look at the cheese scow thread on sailing anarchy!) and when something breaks and hurts someone, it becomes a question of whether or not the owner/skipper's action or inaction led to the events that caused the injury. For example, if I just replaced my crossbeam on my N20, and the next time we go out, it buckles due to a structural defect. In the process of breaking, poor Bailey gets his noggin hit. Should I be held responsible even though I replaced the beam with what I presumed was a structurally sound one? How about if we're sailing along, and hit a submerged object with a daggerboard causing a pitchpole which causes crew injury?

Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:54 PM

If you have a passenger in your car and run off the road due to bad tires are you liable? Yes.
I feel the same issues apply with the boat. I personally always sail with insurance covering me my boat and anyone on the boat , as well as liability for any thing else.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 05:59 PM

I'm insured as well. I think we agree when the skipper is negligent, but is the skipper always liable? How about a serious injury during a pitchpole?
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
it buckles due to a structural defect. In the process of breaking, poor Bailey gets his noggin hit.

Bailey is not a good example. He would just shrug it of and find a way to fix it.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:02 PM

For the most part, youguys are on the same page as I am on the matter. Boat condition and assesment of it are the skippers responsibility. Conditions? In the 07 Tybee, I opted out of leg 3 due to the fact that I didn't feel my crew was up to it. I felt I was but I was afraid if he lost his marbles out there things could get way worse trying to drive the boat and keep him safe. I guess I assume the worst and prepare for it. In the end, it's my responsibility to get the crew back to the beach in one piece.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:03 PM

IMHO, i feel he only is responsible if he was negligent. If she could tell the boat was not in great repair she owns the responsibility for her safety. Unless he knew there was a defect that was not visible, and he didn't inform her ... then he was negligent.

It does speak allot that he wouldn't return her calls, and didn't seem to care about her injuries... perhaps she used bad judgment sailing with someone of such low character.

I used to take every attractive young lady i could talk into a ride out on my boat. Someone i look up to pointed out that there are inherent risks with sailing, and to be sure my crew understands this.. and that i only take out people i feel will respect this, and react appropriately to my direction...
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:03 PM

I see how a skipper could be held responsible.
But doesn't the crew, especially in a regatta where they most likely have done it before and know what they are getting themselves into, assume the risk and therefore are responsbile for knowlingly endagering themsleves?
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:05 PM

IMHO they are both at fault.

For the crew to take part in a dangerous sport without health insurance.
The skipper for not having his boat insured, insurance is mandatory for regattas over here.
(Being a jerk is not illegal).

Injuries can happen even on the best equipped boats (remember Ashby broke his ankle).
Posted By: lonestarcat

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:44 PM

Would it be rude to inquire as to the health of the mast? I am looking for a straight undented P19 mast.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:46 PM

Who is the more irresposible person here, the one with no health insurance is right up there...

This can and probably will happen to many skippers, regardless of boat condition. You might want to have your crew sign a "Libiltiy release" if you are concerned. Even if your crew is your "best friend" or even your brother, and you KNOW he would never sue you, what if he dies in some freak accident (hits power lines while raising your mast while you are in the men's room) and then his wife sues you?

And what about car wrecks? This happens all the time, where the driver lives but a passenger (or two) is killed. Remember Hulk Hogan's kid who crashed while street racing his car and maimed his passenger? He went to jail AND is being sued.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 06:54 PM

Maritime law states very clearly that a skipper is responsible for the safety or his crew and vessel. No question about this incedent.

Always carry insurance folks. It's cheap and well worth it.

I accept that responsibility as a skipper.

If you pitchpole and your crew gets hurt see my first sentence for your answer.

But let's not tell the crews. wink

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:02 PM

I forgot to mention low experienced crew and they never sailed together before. Mike is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:07 PM

Well, I guess I will sail solo.

Just out of curiosity, does maritime law cover inland waters?
Posted By: brucat

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:14 PM

Hey Lee,

Just curious about why you're asking on this forum. This is clearly a question for a marine lawyer. Our opinions don't matter at all when it comes time to collect.

Now, if you're just fishing, carry on...

Mike

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:17 PM

Well, it is a forum where opinions can and should be voiced :P

After all, we all have opinions, and they all stink :P
Posted By: PTP

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:27 PM

I am fairly anal about the status of my boat in terms of rigging. Yes, some things aren't the way they should be (can't find an eye strap small enough for one of the trap lines, etc) but as owner and skipper you are responsible for making sure your boat is safe and that the person you are sailing with has some sort of idea of what to expect and the dangers involved. That being said, I occasionally crew on a boat that isn't 100% the way I would like it to be (but not nearly as bad as a monohull I used to sail on... I was always waiting for something to break on that boat) and wouldn't sue that skipper if I got hurt - since I knew the risks. Problem is the off the beach recreational sailor who just wants a fun ride. What do they know about the forces involved on these boats? They might not interpret it as more than a sunfish.

BTW... not having insurance on your boat is very dangerous. but that being said, the medical coverage on the policy isn't very high. Just got another quote on the 31 and the medical payments were only 10000. That would probably just cover the ER bill and surgery on the knee. Anything more extensive- like decent head injury would go way beyond that.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:37 PM

So much for that ol... All boats must have and show proof of liability insurance! This was probably a requirement to race in the first place. (The foolish common practice these days in small boat regattas)

Since this butt x hole obviously does not have liability insurance... Is the organizing authority responsible because they did not make good on checking that he in fact had valid liability insurance?

When her lawyer sues him for her loss .... why not sue the poor SOB running the regatta for negligence as well..( bet ya he has some assets that will be taken to pay her bills (not to mention the lawyer, which is her only way to make this guy pay the bills)

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:37 PM

And then there is the whole weather thing. When is the Race Committee going to call a race to avoid libility if half the fleet is upside down and somebody gets hurt? What if they don't stop the race? Are they "Liable"? In America anyone can sue anyone for any reason or no reason.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:43 PM

forget what the RC wants to do. Yes, they aren't doing anyone any favors necessarily running a race in extreme winds but it is still the skipper who needs to take responsibility. none of this should fall on the RC unless there is stupid over the top negligence (which, I guess, could mean setting the marks in 6 inches of water and causing a bunch of crashes.. I guess). If someone wants to play the - "but it will hurt my standing in the regatta if I don't go out" then whatever.

What were people's opinions several years ago (was it the 2007 tybee?) when the race was being started in significant surf? Did people hold it against the RC or what (I seriously don't remember, wasn't there)? I knwo a bunch of people didn't start which was their decision and apparently a good one.

And yes, insurance should be required to race. I was going to get umbrella insurance last year but found that some wouldn't cover me if I raced sailboats. kind of goofy...

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:46 PM

Hey Lee,

Just curious about why you're asking on this forum. This is clearly a question for a marine lawyer. Our opinions don't matter at all when it comes time to collect.

Now, if you're just fishing, carry on...

Mike

I just wanted to hear other opinions rather than my own on the subject. I've been in a few situations in my life where the driver had no regard for the safety of the passengers and it really pissed me off. The guy in question CLEARLY had no remorse for the victim while he was standing there laughing about the damage and the victim was in transit to the hospital.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

I am glad this is being discussed here.. I am learning from it.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 07:51 PM

I also forgot to mention in my post, that as a human being, that man sucks and should be publicly ridiculed... or stoned... whatever is easier.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:02 PM

How would they be negligent? Bad weather is an act of god and the skipper of each boat out there is responsible for their boat and crew.... the rules are very clear who's responsibility it is to continue to race.... it's always the captain! The judgment of the RC does not undercut the captains responsibility.

But that is why regatta liability insurance exists. It will defend you the PRO and all RC from such a frivolous law suit and costs you about 400 per year.

IMO, This is different then making a claim... "All boats will have liability insurance"... and then not performing the act of verifying insurance coverage adequately or at all.

Not verifying insurance liability is a possibly negligent act that will get you in the middle of the legal mess for no good reason.

The feel good requirement will have inserted your organization (or yourself if not incorporated) into the legal mess between two parties. I do not understand why clubs and class associations insist on this.

Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:03 PM

So in order to sail with a well covered skipper all crew must:
Show proof of health insurance
Pass a basic seamanship course (in case the skipper is incapacitated and the crew must sail the boat to shore)
pass a swim test
be certified in first aid/CPR
wear necessary safety equipment (pfd, helmet, shoes, gloves)
know how to operate VHF, Flares, PLB, GPS
sign a liability waiver

Pete's right (did I just say that).....we all need to sail singlehanded boats! frown

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:04 PM

anyone who operates any boat should have insurance, regardless of racing.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2

Pete's right (did I just say that)..... frown

About a great many things.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:18 PM

Agreed, this guy is a piece of work. You don't have to pay money to be a decent person and at least follow up on your crew's injury.

Andrew, I don't know what you're learning. Until someone posts the results from this lawsuit, the rest is just random assorted opinion. Such as:

In anything that you do in life, there are risks. If you have stuff that you value (including your health and well being for the rest of your life), you should insure yourself (including insurance for liability). God knows, no two lawsuits seem to end the same way.

Mike
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:23 PM

Guys (and Gals),

First let me state that I do carry insurance on my boats and I would have gone to the hospital ...

Now if it can be proved that the skipper in question had prior knowledge of the frontcrossbar to being defective ... he's in trouble ... if he had no prior knowledge it will make the issue of accessing/assigning fault more difficult. But as this skipper was previously a "professional rigger" an argument can be made that he should have had additional knowledge that he should have used to access the P19's seaworthyness ... this could be a interesting case study.

FYI: Realize there are 50,000,000 people in the United States that do not have any medical coverage currently ... that is approximently 1 in 6 persons .... maybe we as citizens of the USA need to fiqure out a way that provides medical coverage to everyone like they have been able to do in all the other "western industrialized" countries??? (Just want everyone to think about this fact)

Secondly, just as a sidenote and (I have had the "discussion" w/ several unfriendly waterfront landowners and police over the years) ... International Maritine Law states that a skipper is responcible for the safety of his crew and vessel .... and due to equipment failure or weather conditions may seak "safe haven" at any place the skipper deems neccesary. So if your crew is injured or your boat is broken as skipper you can land anywhere and seek "safe haven" for your crew and vessel.... so the wreckage of the P19 could have been brought ashore anywhere it could be dragged to.

Now let's just think also of the responcibility of the race commitee and "INSURANCE" .... if Small Craft Advisories were "Up", do you think that the race commitee can be sued??? Or maybe the RC should be respouncible to inspect all boats for insurance coverage????

Lots of "sticky" questions here ....

HarryMurphey

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 08:29 PM

[o in order to sail with a well covered skipper all crew must:
Show proof of health insurance
No... skippers liability will cover any injury to the crew.

Pass a basic seamanship course (in case the skipper is incapacitated and the crew must sail the boat to shore)
DUH! don't you make sure your crew can turn the boat around and get you if the conditions are dicey! Otherwise... I am not going out.

pass a swim test
DUH!

be certified in first aid/CPR
Not necessary

wear necessary safety equipment (pfd, helmet, shoes, gloves)
DUH would you take anyone on your boat without the right gear!

know how to operate VHF, Flares, PLB, GPS
DUH... if you need this safety margin for that day ... you betcha I show them how it all works and have them try it!

sign a liability waiver
Waiver's are useless in a court of law.

Pete's right (did I just say that).....we all need to sail singlehanded boats!

No... we all need to use common sense and good seamanship and protect ourselves with liability insurance from expensive disasters.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
sign a liability waiver Waiver's are useless in a court of law.

That is not true at all... it establishes an understanding of risk. It is true you can not waive neglagence... but if there was no neglagence... a waiver could save you from paying out damages... thats why ski mountains have a disclaimer on every lift ticket, as do every sporting event ticket... etc...

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 09:16 PM

I agree with your clarification...
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 09:28 PM

In the end, the Skipper, the PRO, and the Regatta Chairman/Sailing Club will all be sued. The lawyers will get something out of all of them, but you have to be prepared as a skipper for this, whether accident, or negligence.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 09:35 PM

I thought there was a similar issue in the Sydney-Hobart race that year (was it like, 2001? or earlier?) where lots of people died due to capsized boats, etc. when a huge typhoon came through the fleet during the race. There were many lawsuits against lots of skippers who lost crew, and the RC as well, for not delaying the start until after the storm had passed. I don't know what the final outcome was for the RC or the skippers in question.

Like I said before, anyone can sue anyone for -any- reason, real or imagined. Been there, done that.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
I believe the skipper should be fully responsible for the crew's safety and well being.

Lee:

You are entirely correct and part of being a responsible skipper is carrying insurance regardless if you race or not, it not only covers what happens on your boat but any property or personal injury caused to others; ie t-boning your friend's boat. In the case you presented, even if the crew had health insurance, she would likely have out-of-pocket expenses for deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and lost wages. God forbid if there is rehab or partial disability relating to her injuries. Odds are that she will find an attorney, they will sue and prevail because boats are expected to be seaworthy in conditions that they were sailing in. Hopefully, he has enough assets to cover the judgement. They could always garnish wages. Too bad debtors jail does not exist for this creep because he deserves it.

Not carrying insurance on your boat is like not having life insurance when you are a parent of young children, totally unacceptable and irresponsible. Pennywise and pound foolish!

Kris Hathaway
F-16
WRCRA/WRSC
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 10:26 PM

I would think that the RC/PRO CAN be held at least partially liabile for incidents as a result of starting races in extreme weather.

I am not an attorney, but part of the PRO's responsibility should be to have a rough idea of the design and performance envelopes for the vessels in the regatta. If the OBSERVED weather conditions are beyond that envelope, it could be considered negligence on the part of the PRO to start or continue a race.

Would it be a good idea to start a race when lightning is striking all around? Most likely not... Why? Because you are posing an undue risk to the participants...

Would it be smart to start a race when it is blowing well over 20 kts, knowing that most of the boats aren't designed for that kind of wind? I know most sailors could handle it, but what if there were an accident and injury?

Could the prosecuting attorney argue that the PRO should have known the conditions were dangerous and postponed the race? Would the PRO have expected a greater than average chance for boat damage and/or participant injury? I would think this may have traction to a jury...

That being said, I still think it's the skipper's primary responsibility to ensure the safety of the vessel and crew.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 10:32 PM

don't all entry forms applications have to sign and agree that they must sail under their decision and not to sail in conditions out of their abilities? this is a disclaimer meant to release the RC of liabilities.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 10:52 PM

Not sure why, but I feel like I need to be the hijack police here...

If you really want to go down this road, please start a separate thread regarding PRO liabilities, this thread is about skipper/crew.

EDIT: For one thing, if you're the PRO and try to NOT race Hobie 16s when it's blowing 25 knots, you'll get laughed out of the event.

Mike

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 11:06 PM

Thanks, the issue is the skipper here. BTW it was only blowing about 18 gusting to 21 on a lake, no less.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 11:16 PM

I think my boat is in pretty decent condition but if someone would ask me to
give a guarantee that the mast wont come down in a race I don't think I can.
Can anyone? Would I be liable if a pin breaks?
The sport is not without risk, IMHO that's part of the fun.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/13/09 11:17 PM

IMPO to start if you're not covered by insurance for your catamaran your an idiot plain and simple. For what these policies cost and the peace of mind they offer it is almost a no-brainier.

Secondly, if you plan to take others on your boat, as with it is in aviation you're the owner/operator/pilot in command. You are responsible for the safety of people that are on your boat, the safe operation of that boat, and the boat is maintained to insure it is safe to use in the conditions you want to use it in. No excuses.

As for those wanting to sue race committees etc…. you’re a ****ing scumbag plain and simple. Race committees are not in the business of putting your life in jeopardy and from what I have observed always decide on the side of prudence. The SKIPPER should know the limitations of their sailing skills, their crew's sailing experience, and condition/limitations of their boat. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Understandably **** happens that we have no control over, but sitting there laughing about your boat and showing no concern for the injured crew member would have resulted in a verbal butt whupping should I have been present, but then again, would this have changed the outcome?
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:15 AM

I spent a fair amount of time in Indonesia and grew to like the way they do it. You can do anything you want to do, if something happens, it's your deal. Unless of course someone does something to you with bad intent, then the law is swift and often carried out by a mob of villagers. It seemed to work out pretty well.

I strapped on a junky rented BC and regulator and went diving for $10, no papers to sign, liability wavers etc. Gave him $10 and swam out to the reef. Try that in the states. If something happened to me, they probably would have cremated me there and that would have been that.

I rented a kayak, and went down the Ayung river. The guy took my dough and said, "have a good holiday." No chance here.

I rented a surfboard and paddled out at double-overhead Balian rivermouth with nothing more than a wave and a smile.

There has to be a happy medium where people take more responsibility for their own actions, otherwise we start missing out. Getting on a boat can be potentially dangerous.

Talking about suing the PRO for running a race in high wind is shameful. Don't we have the ability to go in if we aren't comfortable in the conditions?

We tried to start a youth sailing program here and found it to be virtually impossible due to the requirements. I think that our overly-litigious society is one reason that the sport of sailing has a hard time gaining a foothold in the mainstream.

I get worried every time a cat gets wrecked in the surf here. One mention of suing the harbor and the whole works could be shut down.

The skipper should have had insurance though.

J
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18

Would I be liable if a pin breaks?
The sport is not without risk, IMHO that's part of the fun.

If you bought the pin from Surf City and it broke would I be liable? Potentially. How about if I got the pin from Harken, would they be liable? If you had a lawyer that wanted to go that route, sure. That's why our system is kind of screwed I think.

J
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:28 AM

Its pretty clear that anyone can be sued for anything. Heres a nice gem....

Article in Insurance Journal

The Florida Supreme Court has ruled that a parent can't execute an injury liability waiver for a minor child when the liability release involves participation in a commercial, as opposed to community or nonprofit, activity.

Such releases are more in the interest of the commercial interests requiring them than they are in the best interests of the public or the child who may be injured, the court found.

It ruled that a commercial release was unenforceable against a minor's estate in the case, Scott Corey Kirton vs. Jordan Fields.

Bobby Jones was the primary residential parent for his 14-year old son, Christopher. In 2003, the father took Christopher to Thunder Cross Motor Sports Park to ride his all terrain vehicle (ATV). To gain entry to the facility and be allowed to participate in riding the ATV, Bobby Jones, as Christopher's natural guardian, signed a release and waiver of liability, assumption of risk and indemnity agreement.

While attempting a particular jump, Christopher lost control of his ATV, causing himself to be ejected. Tragically, he hit the ground with the ATV landing on top of him. He got up, walked a short distance, then collapsed and died.

Subsequently, Jordan Fields, representing the estate of Christopher Jones, filed suit for wrongful death against Spencer Kirton, Scott Corey Kirton, Dudley Kirton, and the Kirton Brother Lawn Service, Inc. as owners and operators of Thunder Cross Motor Sports.

Jones admitted that he fully understood that he was waiving the right to sue for the death of Christopher and forever discharging the Kirtons for any and all loss or damage in signing the release.

The Kirtons argued that the claims raised by Fields were barred by the release and waiver executed by Jones on behalf of his son.

The trial court granted the Kirtons' motion for summary judgment on the wrongful death claim, finding that there was no genuine issue of material fact because the release executed by Jones on behalf of his minor child, Christopher, barred the claim.

On appeal, the Fourth District reversed the trial court, finding that that there was no statutory scheme governing the issue of pre-injury releases signed by parents on behalf of minor children and that the courts do not have the authority to "judicially legislate that which necessarily must originate, if it is to be law, with the legislature."

The Kirtons asserted that a parent has a fundamental right to make decisions relating to the care of a minor child, and that right includes executing a pre-injury release on behalf of the minor child.

Fields contended that pre-injury releases are invalid because neither the common law nor the Legislature has given parents the authority to waive these substantive rights of a minor child.

Although there are jurisdictions where pre-injury releases executed by parents on behalf of minor children have been found enforceable, the state's high court noted that the decisions where they have been upheld involved a minor's participation in school-run or community-sponsored activities.

The state Supreme Court decided that the absence of a statute governing parental pre-injury releases demonstrates that the Legislature has not precluded the enforcement of such releases on behalf of a minor child. However, it found that wider public policy concerns cannot allow parents to execute pre-injury releases on behalf of minor children.

The court said there is "injustice" when a parent agrees to waive the tort claims of a minor child and deprive the child of the right to legal relief when the child is injured as a result of another party's negligence. The result benefits the commercial enterprise more than the child, his family or the state:

"When a parent executes such a release and a child is injured, the provider of the activity escapes liability while the parent is left to deal with the financial burden of an injured child. If the parent cannot afford to bear that burden, the parties who suffer are the child, other family members, and the people of the State who will be called on to bear that financial burden. Therefore, when a parent decides to execute a pre-injury release on behalf of a minor child, the parent is not protecting the welfare of the child, but is instead protecting the interests of the activity provider. Moreover, a parent's decision in signing a pre-injury release impacts the minor's estate and the property rights personal to the minor. For this reason, the state must assert its role under parens patriae to protect the interests of the minor children."

The court said that business owners owe their patrons a duty of reasonable care and must maintain a safe environment for the activity they provide. If pre-injury releases were permitted for commercial establishments, the incentive to take reasonable precautions to protect the safety of minor children would be removed, according to the court. While a commercial business can take precautions to ensure its child patrons' safety and buy insurance to protect itself, a minor child cannot insure himself or herself against the risks involved in participating in that activity, the court said.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
I spent a fair amount of time in Indonesia and grew to like the way they do it. You can do anything you want to do, if something happens, it's your deal. Unless of course someone does something to you with bad intent, then the law is swift and often carried out by a mob of villagers. It seemed to work out pretty well.

I strapped on a junky rented BC and regulator and went diving for $10, no papers to sign, liability wavers etc. Gave him $10 and swam out to the reef. Try that in the states. If something happened to me, they probably would have cremated me there and that would have been that.

I rented a kayak, and went down the Ayung river. The guy took my dough and said, "have a good holiday." No chance here.

I rented a surfboard and paddled out at double-overhead Balian rivermouth with nothing more than a wave and a smile.

There has to be a happy medium where people take more responsibility for their own actions, otherwise we start missing out. Getting on a boat can be potentially dangerous.

Talking about suing the PRO for running a race in high wind is shameful. Don't we have the ability to go in if we aren't comfortable in the conditions?

We tried to start a youth sailing program here and found it to be virtually impossible due to the requirements. I think that our overly-litigious society is one reason that the sport of sailing has a hard time gaining a foothold in the mainstream.

I get worried every time a cat gets wrecked in the surf here. One mention of suing the harbor and the whole works could be shut down.

The skipper should have had insurance though.

J

Amen Brother.
I agree 100%. All you litigous folks keep this up and we'll all be out of a hobby.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:43 AM

Wow, that is going to put a huge crimp on kids racing anything; BMX, Motocross, Equestrian Jumping, etc. I wonder if kid's sailing programs are also going to feel the impact.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 12:43 AM

Is there a distinction between "skipper" and "owner"? I usually crew the boat that I own.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 01:10 AM

The skipper in this case was an Ahole, no doubt. You can't legislate or sign a waiver against that, they exist in all sports and always will. You can, however, shoot them, just don't get caught...

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by arbo06
Is there a distinction between "skipper" and "owner"? I usually crew the boat that I own.
I am not a legal beagle here but my take on this is if you own the boat, you're on the boat, you're responsible "Owner/Operator"

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 02:39 AM

What if the driver causes a situation that has nothing to do with the condition of the equipment or decision to sail or not sail?

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 03:09 AM

I think that if the owner is on board then they are the skipper/captain. The coast guard will always ask who is the captain when they approach a vessel on the water. If the driver screws up... it's the captain's fault..

I prefer to use the terms helm and sheet rather then skipper and crew to account for a division of responsibilities that you choose to use on your boat.

Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by arbo06

Read this to get really confused.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=72984
Posted By: Keith

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by PTP
forget what the RC wants to do. Yes, they aren't doing anyone any favors necessarily running a race in extreme winds but it is still the skipper who needs to take responsibility. none of this should fall on the RC unless there is stupid over the top negligence (which, I guess, could mean setting the marks in 6 inches of water and causing a bunch of crashes.. I guess). If someone wants to play the - "but it will hurt my standing in the regatta if I don't go out" then whatever.

What were people's opinions several years ago (was it the 2007 tybee?) when the race was being started in significant surf? Did people hold it against the RC or what (I seriously don't remember, wasn't there)? I knwo a bunch of people didn't start which was their decision and apparently a good one.

And yes, insurance should be required to race. I was going to get umbrella insurance last year but found that some wouldn't cover me if I raced sailboats. kind of goofy...

As one of those boats in the '07 Tybee that opted not to sail on that day - I had no problem what so ever with the RC decision to start. People made it out that day, but my team mate and I made the painful decision that our experience was lacking for that one on that day. It was our decision to make - other people were up to the challenge, I would not have deprived them of the opportunity to excel. Ironic, given what happened on the next leg...

On the case at hand, even if the crew had medical insurance it would be likely that her provider would try to recover costs from the insurance on the boat. In the case of no boat insurance they may go after the owner.

By the way, there's something also called the Jones Act (if I remember right) that states that a captain is responsible for the acts of the crew while on shore. This was originally implemented for commercial ships to recoup damages from marauding crews on shore leave. However, I seem to recall that it has been applied in cases pertaining to racing crews in town during races. Yet another thing to consider...

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by johnes
I am not a legal beagle here but my take on this is if you own the boat, you're on the boat, you're responsible "Owner/Operator"

It could be argued that the driver is the skipper regardless of who owns the boat.. if you are drunk and let someone drive you home in your car... and they crash and kill someone... you (the passenger/owner) are not at fault

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
If you bought the pin from Surf City and it broke would I be liable? Potentially. How about if I got the pin from Harken, would they be liable? If you had a lawyer that wanted to go that route, sure. That's why our system is kind of screwed I think. J

We had a 15 year old kite boarder get blown into power lines in a squall. He got burned and then fell 25 feet into the street (hit the divider actually). i learned the lawyers want to included everyone in the lawsuit, even the guys who sold the kite to him... even though the equipment was not bad, the kid was sailing on the windward side of powerlines, the parents should not have allowed him to participate is such a dangerous sport, and he went out in adverse conditions, where extreme weather was predicted...

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 03:10 PM

Like the earlier post, I think the skipper is ultimately responsbile for all those on his/her boat, similar to an aircraft pilot.

Accidents happen, stuff breaks, weather turns sour, errors are made. Insurance is there to help provide that peace of mind knowing the skipper can "do the right thing" and take care of anyone or anything injured during prudent operation of the vessel.

As for the PRO responsibility, would you think that an America's Cup team would challenge (or sue) the PRO if they conducted a race beyond the design parameters of the boats in the race? I know there was an s* fight about the minimum windspeed...

The T-500 is more of an adventure race for those with a certain level of competency. Buoy racing, in my mind, is somewhat different in that those with little or no experience are welcome, and it is in that context that I feel the PRO should exercise a bit more discretion with respect to course set-up (not setting the gate width at 1 boatlength, minding the wind/sea conditions, etc.)

Personally, I can't think of any reason I'd sue a PRO, since it's my judgement to participate in the first place. But if I were pro- or semi-pro and this regatta somehow influenced my paycheck, I'd probably have a lot to say if the PRO was making bonehead decisions (like sending a single-handed fleet out in 25 kts, knowing most would break down/crash and the PRO doesn't have enough safety vessels. That would seem negligent on the PRO's part because of the potential for increased chance of accident/injury)
Yeah, and setting a buoy in less than 6" of water is funny to watch, but not funny to drag the boat across! smile

Oh, and those waivers are nice to have, but most of the time don't really work (look at BKs earlier post - note that was for commercial operations, and not non-profit or community stuff)

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
It could be argued that the driver is the skipper regardless of who owns the boat.. if you are drunk and let someone drive you home in your car... and they crash and kill someone... you (the passenger/owner) are not at fault

Is this your opinion, or are there court cases that back this up? I'm pretty sure that as the owner, you are responsible (can be held liable) when you allow someone to use your car. I'd almost be willing to bet money on it, but again, no two lawsuits end the same way...

Mike

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 04:28 PM

PRO responsibility REALLY needs to be a different thread...

Yes, PROs can be sued. Anyone can be sued. The main reason we are going to certified PROs, with specific criteria for certification, is to reduce the risk for US SAILING.

Mike

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Is this your opinion

I am not a lawyer, i just play one on TV!

[Linked Image]

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 05:40 PM

Since I don't currently have a boat to skipper, I think the skipper's responsibility should be (minimum):

- ensure the proper maintenance, function and operation of vessel
- ensure all safety equipment is present and used
- use proper judgement based on available information (SI, weather FX, personal limits of helm & crew) in selecting time/place to sail
- provide all-expenses-paid travel and accommodations at 5 star facilities for all sailing and ground crews, including semi-nekkid members of opposite sex gently fanning crews while feeding them grapes, etc. smile
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Since I don't currently have a boat to skipper, I think the skipper's responsibility should be (minimum):

- ensure the proper maintenance, function and operation of vessel
- ensure all safety equipment is present and used
- use proper judgement based on available information (SI, weather FX, personal limits of helm & crew) in selecting time/place to sail
- provide all-expenses-paid travel and accommodations at 5 star facilities for all sailing and ground crews, including semi-nekkid members of opposite sex gently fanning crews while feeding them grapes, etc. smile

Boy are you going to be disappointed this weekend!

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 05:44 PM

dude, I'm married. Nothing is a disappointment anymore...

did I just say that out loud? blush

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 05:57 PM

Andrew you are going apples to oranges here. Think of it this way; you're out sailing and the skipper/driver of your boat is reckless, not abiding to the laws, and creating an unsafe situation that may put life and property in peril are you going to take action to stop the behavior?

If not, in some states you are not only liable in the civil courts but you could also be criminally prosecuted. Property damage would probably result in a Recklessness charge, life or bodily injury in a criminal negligence charge should the authorities want to go after you.

This was the explanation that was given to me recently by my lawyer as I had looked into doing a non-incorporated partnership on a boat. My question was what is the worse case scenario I could be exposed to? The above was what was one of the many of; you don't want to do this and here is why topics, that was outlined to me - here is the catch I don't even have to be on the boat.

Oh! It gets better, should the skipper actions result in a criminal offense your insurance may say tough ****, and then your really on hook.

[i][/i]
Posted By: Mlcreek

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:13 PM

I believe that if most of you will review your own Home Owners policies, you will see that you have Liability limits coverage for our cats and in most cases racing these same cats.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mlcreek
I believe that if most of you will review your own Home Owners policies, you will see that you have Liability limits coverage for our cats and in most cases racing these same cats.

Better check you homeowners policy to see if it even covers you on a boat the you own.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:26 PM

yes most HO3 and HO6 polices do up to 26' most have an additional coverage for racing, but only sail boat racing not power boat

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:29 PM

Andrew you are going apples to oranges here.

It is true i brought in an example "off the water" ... but just as Hobie1616's earlier post exemplifies... (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=72984)

"the prosecutors, colleagues of Perdock's, are claiming that Thornton's death was Dinius' fault because, although he was not the skipper of the boat, he was at the helmsman's position ..."

And this is all based on opinion... i could be wrong, as i am not a lawyer, and even if i was, lawyers argue (all day long) the exact meaning of the laws

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 06:53 PM

Gentlemen,

Please allow me to quote from a HO3 insurance policy (typical Homeowners);

Liability Exclusions
(Section II)
1. Coverage E - Personal Liability and Coverage F - Medical Payments to Others do not apply
to bodily injury or property damage:
g) arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of; entrustment or the negligent
supervision by an insured of; or statutorily imposed liability on an insured related to the
use of:
(3) a watercraft owned or operated by, or rented or loaned to an insured:
(a) if the watercraft has inboard or inboard-outdrive motor power of more than 50
horsepower.
(b) if it is a sailing vessel, with or without auxiliary power, 26 feet or more in overall
length.
(c) while rented to others.
(d) while being used to carry persons or property for a fee.
(e) while being used without an insured's permission.
(f) while being used in an official race or speed test. This exclusion does not apply to
sailboats.
(g) if it is an airboat, air cushion or similar type watercraft.
This exclusion 1.g)(3) does not apply:
(1) while the watercraft is stored.
(2) to bodily injury to any residence employee arising out of and in the course of
employment by an insured

Thanks for your time.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 08:03 PM

Andrew you are going apples to oranges here.

It is true i brought in an example "off the water" ... but just as Hobie1616's earlier post exemplifies... (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=72984)

"the prosecutors, colleagues of Perdock's, are claiming that Thornton's death was Dinius' fault because, although he was not the skipper of the boat, he was at the helmsman's position ..."

And this is all based on opinion... i could be wrong, as i am not a lawyer, and even if i was, lawyers argue (all day long) the exact meaning of the laws

Andrew:

Do you know all the facts in the case" Did you read this in the aricle?

"Well, duh!" But with the Lake County Sheriff's Department working so hard to convict Dinius in an apparent attempt to divert attention from Perdock, the real culprit, there is no way to avoid having to go through the obvious.

Why wasn't the driver of the motor boat that happened to be an off duty sheriff charged - ah the question we will never know.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 08:10 PM

Andrew: Do you know all the facts in the case" Did you read this in the aricle?

Yes i read it, no i don't know all the facts in the case... i wasn't there... yes i understand it is seems to have lots of questionable motives... the point was.... The prosecution felt there was enough evidence against the person at the helm (NOT THE OWNER) to go forth with a trial.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/14/09 08:41 PM

i learned the lawyers want to included everyone in the lawsuit,

Typical strategy. Sue everyone, find out whose got the deepest pockets, zero in on them.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/15/09 12:18 AM

Hey thanks for the heads up. This prompted a call and an email to my agent, who does all of my insurance. I guess each state and company are different in how they set things.

That said, my homeowners policy will cover the boat however, once the boat hits the water the damages (that I cause to my own property)coverage is no longer in effect, but my personal injury/property liability is. My auto policy covers the boat once it is hooked up to the car for towing, but my personal injury/property liability comes from my auto policy, and my boat policy will cover what the homeowners and auto policy covers plus covers the damages when I am in the water.

Dam! I got dizzy just witting this.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! At any rate, in a litigious society it's smart to protect your assets. Glad all of my insuracne (home, auto, boat & uncrella)are with the same company and for what the boat policy cost, it's worth the extra coverage. Let them figure it out when I make the call.

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/15/09 01:33 AM

Same DEC page as mine....

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/15/09 02:27 PM

Glad all of my insuracne (home, auto, boat & uncrella)are with the same company

what is uncrella?

Re: Skipper's responsibilities/liability - 01/15/09 06:07 PM