Catsailor.com

Custom Snuffer

Posted By: arbo06

Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 01:08 AM

Please help homies!

My boat has a ramming pole that is 2.5" OD. I would like to us the spin in bouy racing so a snuffer would be preffered to the tramp bag that I currently use. Is there any way to adapt current snuffers to the larger OD, or is there some one who can custome make the part?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 01:17 AM

Hey Eric -

For about $80 to $100, I'd bet you can make a new 1.5" OD pole that would fit a wide variety of existing suffer set ups. I've made two new spin poles in the last year.

For a sweet set up that can be made to fit the pole you have now, google Dennis Key's SNU or Barefoot Studios.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 01:49 AM

http://www.gobarefootstudio.com/snu.html
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 10:51 AM

Does it work really well in all circumstances? What if the spi goes in the water?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 03:07 PM

Alan Stewart of Team Velocity fame made his own snuffer hoop for his old 5.5. He's a poor aeronautical engineering student and I'm sure if a couple bucks were thrown his way he'd be willing to fab something up for ya smile

Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 04:59 PM

Pics?

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/24/09 11:05 PM

I wish it were that easy. There is a major component mounted on the fore beam that accepts the corrent pole. The spi tack runs through it, the jib tensioner is integrated into it. I have a few ideas that I think will work to adapt that Barefoot product onto my existing equipment.

Please continue to reply, I haven't solved the question yet.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/25/09 12:52 AM

The Snu just sits on top of the pole. Held by rope and taped to the pole supported off the pole by zip ties.I think you would be able to use it as it is with a little more tape. Ask Dennis at barefoot I'm sure he will work with you to get it right.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/25/09 01:43 AM

Dennis can also make a one-off to fit a larger pole.

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/25/09 04:05 AM

Thanks John, thats the magic I am looking or. I will take some detailed pics of my equipment for Dennis and start a dialogue with him.
Posted By: chrisun

Re: Custom Snuffer - 01/25/09 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Dennis can also make a one-off to fit a larger pole.

Dennis made a custom carbon fiber SNU to fit the 2.5" diameter pole on my boat. Beautiful workmanship.

I sent you a PM, Eric.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums