Catsailor.com

Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.....

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/25/09 03:08 AM

Rick, Mary,

Your site is #1. It's awesome, no complaints from me.

Another site I frequent, is all about my Truck. It's an independent site, kinda like this one.

Ever since I have been posting there, over 8 years, they have a section of it's own, titled 'Off Topic', on the truck webstie.

Just like the F18, or F20, etc., with it's own thread topics.

I'd like to propose an 'Off Topic' section of Catsailor.
Then we could discuss homebrewing beer, or Bar-B-Q pits, or the latest and greatest Off road bike., Or politics. YOu get the picture. Then, we wouldn't have to highjack a thread on the General Discussion board, which really should still be about sailing.

Rick, you have been a great host of a great website, Thanks
Todd Bouton

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 03:54 AM

Todd,

I recommended this a while ago, and for some reason people have an issue with it.

Its makes trying to search for something buried in the forum impossible the way it is. O/T needs to be moved into its own little playpen so we can have dedicated catamaran talk and be able to search through it efficiently.

just my $.02

Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 07:04 AM

I probably wouldn't use an "Off Topic" section much, but some might find it regularly useful. Maybe someone could volunteer to set up and maintain a site that is remote from this database. Rick could install an icon button that would take folks there. That would solve the burden on Rick, Mary, and the searchable database. (But in a sense, that site would be competing with this one, especially if people start talking sailing at the remote site.) --Maybe it is better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 08:53 AM

http://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/fo...ber=11&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=

http://www.catsailor.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

they already exist on the other catsailor sites.

my favorite forum for AU broadband has the "pool room"

cant help but agree there should be a neutral forum for talking about whats on your mind.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 12:04 PM

I think, there is more need for a dedicated A-cat section ...

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 01:26 PM

I looked, and Hard to believe, there is no A-Cat section.

They even have a Delray Beach section.

NO one would talk about sailing issues on the 'Off Topic' section, that's what all the other sections are for.

the catsailor.org board, uh, looks REAL busy.

I'd like a section on this site to toggle back and forth from time to time.

Great threads like 'What have you regretted?' (it was something like that), etc.

How about it? ;-)

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 01:41 PM

Sorry about any terminlogy confusion,

I guess I'm asking about an

Off Topic Forum, on this site, that would be great. Those that don't care would never go there, and it would keep the Gen. Diss. forum sailing related a bit more.

And as I said earlier, this is a GREAT site overall!
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 04:34 PM

The idea has been proposed and more or less voted on and no one wants a Forum for Other than Sailing. And after all, at this point there is only one thread preently active of NonSailing in the Open and you don't have to read it, if you don't want to.

As for the A-Cat, I would be glad to set up a forum for them.., easy enough to do. It is just that no one has ever asked for it.

Almost anyone that requested a particular type of forum has gotten it from me.
So, A-Cats!!!! You want a Forum? Just ask and after it is up, get your buddies conversing.
Rick
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 06:56 PM

I'd love an A-cat forum.Please set one up.

I also think the Off topic/political forum is a great idea.
Maybe I'm weak but the political topics always make me look (like a car wreck) and afterwards I always wished I hadn't(like a car wreck) and feel even worse if I reply. They (Off topic posts) do waste alot of space on the main page.Some are worth reading, hence, not just banning O/T posts.
Todd

Todd
Posted By: brucat

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 07:11 PM

Hey Rick,

Speaking of improvements, can you ask the admin to set up the system such that if you're reading threads while not logged in, and want to reply, you don't get sent all the way back to the forum table of contents after logging in?

I've seen other forums that allow you to read while not logged in, click reply, log in, and return to the thread you're actually trying to reply to. Saves a lot of time and grief.

Mike
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 07:43 PM

Not sure if the program will, but probably will.

I just set mine to automatically log in.., no worries.
Rick
Posted By: Mary

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/25/09 08:12 PM

I don't know why anybody would not be automatically logged in every time you visit. When you first log in, you just check the box that says "remember me on each visit."

There is no reason I can think of to "log off" when you close it. If you have checked the "remember me" box, you can come and go as you please and don't have to do anything at all.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 02:30 PM

Off Topic Forum - Bah Humbug... THis forum is perfect the way it is
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 02:45 PM

Mary and Rick, As this Q pops up about 2x per year, maybe the "Open / Discussions" forum needs a name change to indicate OT posting is allowed?
Like "Apres-Sail", "Sailors Louge", "Fever Cabin" or something?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 03:42 PM

Why change what is working? Again... if you don't want to read off topic posts... then dont
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 03:43 PM

Keep the GD forum and create a sailing only forum.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 03:51 PM

I was for keeping the 'Open Forum/Discussion' area as a forum, and making a new 'Off Topic' forum.

The Open forum is and should be an open forum about sailing.

That was my point in starting this thread.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
Why change what is working? Again... if you don't want to read off topic posts... then dont

The problem is that there are good sailing related topics posted in this open forum. For me, I like to get the forum posts sent to me in an email. When I travel I can digest them at the end of the day, makes it easy. I subscribe to general discussion/open forum (as well as others) because the content does cover a lot of valuable sailing related topics. Typically, there are over 100 catsailor emails/day in my inbox. A high percentage of the GD/OF emails in my inbox is not sailing related. So the proposal for on off topic forum would make sense to me. I could then chose to subscribe or not subscribe to the off topic forum, and effectively clean up the high volume of emails coming into the inbox.

Let's please give this proposal further consideration.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 04:19 PM

Todd, you'll get no argument from me on that, but the battle for an OT forum has been lost. The OT posters don't want to move out of the GD forum and I'm more than willing to move to a sailing only forum.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 04:24 PM

Great solution and for all the reasons mentioned, call it the "sailing only forum"

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 04:51 PM

Then, nobody cares if I post about a funny bumper sticker I saw yesterday? (NO, it's not political)

:-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Keep the GD forum and create a sailing only forum.

GD = "general discussion" or [censored]?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I now message board proposal.. - 01/26/09 05:51 PM

General Discussion, but the other one works too :-)

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 06:37 PM

Just so I am clear on this:
If we had an Off Topic Forum and this GD one was restricted only to sailing topics, does that mean that "Test" would have to be moved to the Off Topic Forum?

And does it mean that the thread about book recommendations would have to be split so that the one on this thread was only for sailing-related books, and the non-sailing-related book recommendations would have to be moved to a thread on the Off Topic Forum?

And, since there is no way to prevent occasional hijacks of threads when somebody has a tangential thought that might not be sailing related, would I have to immediately create a new thread for that in "Off Topic Forum" and move that "thought" over there?

Just trying to figure out some of the complications. crazy

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 06:54 PM

It doesn't have to be complicated.

There will some posts in the wrong forum, but this way, ALL Off Topic, or not Directly sailing related, will have it's won forum and many of their won threads. Similar to, say, the f-18 froum.

I've always felt that this forum, should stay the same- generic sailing info, ideas, etc.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 07:09 PM

We have a lot of other forums, should we then consider just having one forum again?
Posted By: brucat

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 07:52 PM

Rick/Mary, I use a variety of computers (some shared), so always being remembered isn't a good thing.

Mike

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 09:15 PM

Look at how many people respond to Test, and Drill baby (part 1 and 2).... these "Off topic" threads get a TON of traffic...

And the last time this was brought up... it turned into Rick talking about his squirrel problems, and we all learned so much about trapping, killing and turning them into gumbo... that was priceless!

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Rick/Mary, I use a variety of computers (some shared), so always being remembered isn't a good thing.
Mike

What difference does it make? Anybody can read our forums without logging in or being "remembered."

Are you thinking that somebody else on one of those computers will for some reason go to catsailor.com and then click on Open Forum and then post something that will look like it is coming from you?

I like it! Sounds like a good plot for a mystery novel. smirk

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mary
I like it! Sounds like a good plot for a mystery novel.

Says the lady with a Da Vinci avitar....hmmmmm

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 09:49 PM

And the last time this was brought up... it turned into Rick talking about his squirrel problems, and we all learned so much about trapping, killing and turning them into gumbo... that was priceless!

Okay, down here in the Keys the problem is not squirrels, it is people living in the jungle. Just last night two sheriff's deputies were searching the jungle across from our house for a "derelict" who had been reported by a neighbor.

They didn't find him, but I am hoping he will show up again, because I need somebody to help with yard work. I'm sure he is just a victim of the recession, and we should all do our part to help people in need.

A few weeks ago another "derelict," whom I have nicknamed Sailor Jim, was sitting on the sidewalk outside the Winn-Dixie making some really pretty things out of palm fronds that he claimed to have harvested himself by climbing palm trees. He said he was living on his sailboat, anchored off of Gilbert's, and was working his way back to Key West after being up in Miami at the VA Hospital for some extensive treatments for something.

Having been liveaboards ourselves once when we were down and out, I sympathized and gave him $20 for a couple of his palm weavings.

The next time I saw him there, he asked if I wanted to buy anything, and I told him I had already donated. He said, "Yeah, I know, but I spent it all on beer."

I'm so happy that I could be of help. smirk

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal..... - 01/26/09 10:26 PM

Did any of them have anything made of blue pentex sail cloth? crazy

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 12:02 AM

Okay, down here in the Keys the problem is not squirrels, it is people living in the jungle.

Perhaps Tami has a recipes for derelicts

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jake
Did any of them have anything made of a blue pentex sail cloth? crazy

Jake, I thought we were "moving on"..... (just kidding, glad you can laugh about it)
Posted By: USA1273

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 05:13 AM

Please move all non-sailing topics off this board. 3 of the first 10 non sticky theads are non-sailing topics...

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 05:27 AM

I dont read books.. so thats getting old very quickly.. (unless ebooks count?)

My suggestion would be to have two forums under the current heading "general discussion"

rename this fourm to "sailing Open forum/Discussion" and add the new "non sailing forum/discussion" beside it.

I would also suggest that if in 6 months time and no one uses the new forum, simply delete it, no harm, no foul.

Cheers

Dazz.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 06:09 AM

You guys are ruining my hijack attempt! cry

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 06:17 AM

Mary, you cant be off topic in the on topic forum with an off topic thread.

try saying that three times!

Nike: Just do it!

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 07:18 AM

Well, the way I see it is that this web site has a whole bunch of forums targeted to specific types or classes of boats or specific groups of people. Most of those forums are not used much.

This forum is the only one that is not specific. It is described as: "This Forum is for a General Discussion for all sailors." It does not say discussion ABOUT sailing, just discussion for sailors.

Therefore, this basically IS the "off-topic forum." And I think that is the beauty of it. I love the variety and the flexibility. You can have random threads about recipes, books, videos, music, cars, skiing, environment, politics (pretty much anything that interests sailors, even if only a few), interspersed with all the nuts-and-bolts sailing threads about halyards and hull fixes and racing rules.

I love to read about the other things that sailors are interested in. It makes me feel more like I am part of a community of PEOPLE who share the common bond of sailing but also have other lives.

I would like to think that this Open Forum gives sailors the opportunity to share their other interests with fellow sailors. And everybody can read and contribute to whatever threads interest them. Something for everyone.

Am I wrong?

P.S. I have my personal forum page set for 30 threads per page, so when I open up the forum I can see all of the ones that are active and quickly glance through and see which ones interest me enough to open and read. No problem.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 01:13 PM

We are not proposing eliminating the GD forum as it is. I don't understand the resistance, you enjoy the non-sailing topics and GD forum serves that purpose you lose nothing by creating a sailing only forum.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 01:46 PM

You don't understand the resistance, but I don't understand the need.

How do people decide what is a "sailing-only" topic? Right now I only consider one active topic on this forum to be non-sailing, and that's "Drill, Baby, Drill." What other ones do you consider non-sailing-related? (Well, probably the one about accidental deaths, too.)

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:09 PM

You don't understand the resistance, but I don't understand the need.

How do people decide what is a "sailing-only" topic? Right now I only consider one active topic on this forum to be non-sailing, and that's "Drill, Baby, Drill." What other ones do you consider non-sailing-related? (Well, probably the one about accidental deaths, too.)

Agreed! It's fine the way it is...I don't ever venture into the other forums. If the fuzz threads were overwhelming the sailing threads, then yeah, I would agree that it should have it's own forum (like Sailing Anarchy's "Political Anarchy" forum). But it's only like one or two posts at a time.

Besides, it's about time for another test.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:13 PM

Besides, it's about time for another test.

Saved by the test again. By the way, is "test" actually an abbreviation for something?
Posted By: fin.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:16 PM

Terminal Ennui Salvation Thread?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:20 PM

Well, that would be an acronym. But that's good, too.
I was thinking more of abbreviation of a longer word.

I realize the beauty of test is that it doesn't mean anything at all. Sorry to sully its reputation by trying to give it meaning. Forgive me.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:24 PM

This forum is the only one that is not specific. It is described as: "This Forum is for a General Discussion for all sailors." It does not say discussion ABOUT sailing, just discussion for sailors.

We should have another one called... "Really General Discussion... not sailing General, but really really General!" (Just kidding)

Am I wrong?

NO! You are right! YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT!!!!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 02:31 PM

I thought the "sailing only" discussions were posted in the individual class/type/subject forums, like F16, F20, Homebuilders, etc.

If there was an "Sailing only open forum" it would only have three posts:
"What kind of boat should I buy"
"What kind of boat is this?"
"Where to sail?"

All the other posts could be re-directed to the specific forum that already exists.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 03:50 PM

At the end of the day Mary it's your board and you can manage it as you please.

However, other sites do manage the sailing and non-sailing topics nicely and no I never venture into the non-sailing forums. I always get my fill of politics and religion at my weekly poker game. Yes, it get's quite heated and quite loud, oddly enough we manage to play cards at the same time.

As always I appreciate what you and Rick do for the sport, I'm still not sure what politics and religion have to do with the sport though. Yes, I put religion in there... it's just a matter of time.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 03:58 PM

"The Antichrist" made an appearance last week.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 04:10 PM

Okay, what it looks like to me is that we need a separate forum called "Pete's Politics," and that would solve the whole problem. grin

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 04:11 PM

SOLD!

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 05:05 PM

I'm all for it! I'll bet that within a week it will have more hits than any other thread on this board.

People thrive on controversy! Not just me, lots of people.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 05:20 PM

Well, that would be an acronym. But that's good, too.
I was thinking more of abbreviation of a longer word.

I realize the beauty of test is that it doesn't mean anything at all. Sorry to sully its reputation by trying to give it meaning. Forgive me.
IIRC, "test" took off like a rocket only 24 short months ago, when people got sick of this sailing related topic

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubb...amp;Words=sail&Search=true#Post95880

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 06:29 PM

I'm probably going to regret taking you off ignore but here goes:

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more controversy gets attention and that is why Jerry Springer and Howard Stern are so popular. I’m just not sure what purpose these posts serve for our sport. Do you think the political threads help or hurt the participation in our sport?

If you want to measure a thread/forum by its hit ratio I can guarantee you a thread with an insane number of hits but it will be complete rubbish and it will serve no other purpose other than to entertain me. Is that were we are heading? Is that that the goal of the GD forum?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 06:52 PM

There was a time when civil discourse was an end in itself. 'Course that was long time ago.

smile Have a nice day.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 08:46 PM

<**** bar)

They've been discussing "dis-course" and "dat-course" on another thread.

[Linked Image]

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by David Parker
[Linked Image]

what is that? some new "Diver Down" sign?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 09:49 PM

Do you think the political threads help or hurt the participation in our sport?

It hurts! On a special interest site like this one, it frays the whole fragile fabric of our declining sailing world and damages friendships. Personally, I would rather just not know the political inclinations of my sailing friends. (Nor their religious, ethical or philosophical beliefs.)

I'm sure there must be forums on the internet explicitly for the purpose of discussing politics. So why here??

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 10:13 PM

Okay, I'm done.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/27/09 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tikipete
Okay, I'm done.

Really???

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/28/09 02:35 AM

dang...how did he change his username?

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/28/09 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jake
dang...how did he change his username?

Same way I just did. But it is not the username, it is the "display name." Apparently, it is a feature of this new forum version. You can change your display name in your Profile in My Stuff. Your member number stays the same, along with your posting status.

A useful feature for people with split personalities. crazy

P.S. I found that I could also change my log-in password in my profile settings. Could not change User Name. Don't try to log in using your display name. While I was fiddling around with this, I got locked out of the forum until I figured out I had to use my original User Name and my new Password.

Being able to change your own password is a good idea, because if you (like me) always are automatically logged in when you go to the forum, after never having to use your password for months at a time, you can forget it. So while you are on the forum, you can make a new password that you CAN remember, so you can get in again if you ever are required to log in.

Whenever you change something like that in your profile, don't forget to go down to the bottom of the page and click on "Submit" for the changes to take effect.
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/28/09 05:13 PM

What would be handy is the option of putting a thread on the "ignore" list, so you never noticed it even was there.

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/28/09 05:29 PM

That would work for me but wouldn't work for someone that get's email alerts when a thread is added.
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Rick, Mary, ... et. al. I new message board proposal.. - 01/28/09 05:32 PM

Not unless they went to the website and put the thread on the "ignore" list. Not an optimal solution, but it would work for me..
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums