Catsailor.com

Adjustable Outhaul

Posted By: Cab

Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 01:46 PM

Recently, I crewed on an infusion and it did not have an adjustable outhaul. It just had a short piece of line at the end of the boom that you would loop through the clew. You could adjust it while on the beach or between races but probably not while racing. I was thinking of changing to this system because it was so easy to use. Is anyone adjusting the outhaul when changing from upwind to downwind on a spin boat?
Posted By: Jake

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cab
Recently, I crewed on an infusion and it did not have an adjustable outhaul. It just had a short piece of line at the end of the boom that you would loop through the clew. You could adjust it while on the beach or between races but probably not while racing. I was thinking of changing to this system because it was so easy to use. Is anyone adjusting the outhaul when changing from upwind to downwind on a spin boat?

I always adjust it from upwind to down unless it's really nuclear out (since it could power up the boat more and when surviving is worth more than 1/100th a knot in speed)...I can't really speak for how effective it is - I just have always done it.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 01:54 PM

we do it on every downwind leg. once we go around the A mark, that outhaul goes loose, along with the board up a bit, the mast over rotated, downhaul off, jib out, spin up of course.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 01:55 PM

I quit adjusting the outhaul shortly after I switched to spin boats.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 02:01 PM

I dont really see why you would want to adjust it when going downwind with the spin up except for extreme lowwind conditions maybe.
The mainsail doesnt know if its going upwind or downwind, with the apparent wind angle at almost 90°.
Seems like another thing to forget resetting before going upwind. wink
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 02:31 PM

I used to adjust it until several sailors that know what they are doing explained to me how much releasing the downhaul affects the foot and that they never touch their outhaul.
As you crank your downhaul, the foot will tighten, if you release that tension for downwind your foot will loosen (pretty significantly).
I came to the conclusion that this gave me enough extra shape to not bother with spending time on the outhaul.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/26/09 02:48 PM

When I used to sail boats like my Prindle 18-2, stock, no spin, it was a must. Outhaul, downhaul, boards, rotator, barberhauler....., every a or c mark. (remember when they had a 'b' mark?)

But with a more recent, spin rigged boat, it's been said.
Posted By: warbird

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/27/09 12:24 AM

But on my new raked rig the downhaul stretches the outhaull very quickly so not so much.

But I still adjust to loosen in light for bigger belly.

Posted By: PTP

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/27/09 06:42 AM

I can see the reason to have it be set, but sometimes I think it is helpful to really flatten it if you get caught in high winds.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/27/09 11:59 AM

Outhaul is released automaticaly when the down haul is released because the foot of the sail is angled down at the front.

To set the fixed outhaul right, release it fully,apply max downhaul then set the out haul to firm.

Some guys set the outhaul too tight then go out and gun the downhaul and pull the bottom of the sail out of the track!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Adjustable Outhaul - 01/27/09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Outhaul is released automaticaly when the down haul is released because the foot of the sail is angled down at the front.

To set the fixed outhaul right, release it fully,apply max downhaul then set the out haul to firm.

Some guys set the outhaul too tight then go out and gun the downhaul and pull the bottom of the sail out of the track!

Agreed.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums