Catsailor.com

Hobie 16- is it right for me?

Posted By: Anonymous

Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 11:42 AM

ill try to make this detailed but as short as possible:

went to Mexico for a week and ended up sailing around on a hobie wave all week long. caught the small cat bug, and now i HAVE to get one. I liked the wave, but im a little wary of getting one because im 23 and im afraid i will outgrow it too quickly. I like kiteboarding, surfing, long distance ocean kayaking, etc. So i have a feeling that the wave might just be too tame for me after a while.

I have some expierience crewing on larger sailing boats and a week out on that hobie wave. but thats about it. so im pretty close to a beginner but am planning on getting some lessons from experienced friends.

The boat i would want would be something that i could just cruise around in single handed, never wanting to push it to its limits, but when my brother comes to the beach to visit me or when my friends are off work id love to one day do some races or really get it cranking. id say id singlehand it 20% of the time and the rest of the time id have crew aboard.

so is the hobie 16 a good boat for me? Ive found the prices on them to be quite good and there seems to be a lot of parts floating around for them. Is it a boat that can be casually sailed around on a calmer day but also a boat that will grow with my sailing ability? thanks for the help and please chime in with any suggestions!
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 12:45 PM

Yes, to pretty much all. While it's alot faster than the wave, you may even use it as a '1st' boat, to upgrade to boats with spinakers, etc. It can also be a long term boat for you.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Coolstr85
ill try to make this detailed but as short as possible:

went to Mexico for a week and ended up sailing around on a hobie wave all week long. caught the small cat bug, and now i HAVE to get one. I liked the wave, but im a little wary of getting one because im 23 and im afraid i will outgrow it too quickly. I like kiteboarding, surfing, long distance ocean kayaking, etc. So i have a feeling that the wave might just be too tame for me after a while.

I have some expierience crewing on larger sailing boats and a week out on that hobie wave. but thats about it. so im pretty close to a beginner but am planning on getting some lessons from experienced friends.

The boat i would want would be something that i could just cruise around in single handed, never wanting to push it to its limits, but when my brother comes to the beach to visit me or when my friends are off work id love to one day do some races or really get it cranking. id say id singlehand it 20% of the time and the rest of the time id have crew aboard.

so is the hobie 16 a good boat for me? Ive found the prices on them to be quite good and there seems to be a lot of parts floating around for them. Is it a boat that can be casually sailed around on a calmer day but also a boat that will grow with my sailing ability? thanks for the help and please chime in with any suggestions!

Yes, yes and yes. You can find other boats in a similar price range and some that may perform marginally better - but for the reasons you state at the end of your post, the H16 is the ultimate starter boat. There are a lot of them around and a lot of people willing to help and share experience. Parts are easy to get. It's one of the easier boats to sail off the beach (especially singlehanded) because it doesn't have daggerboards. Know how, and that you can, right the boat from a capsize by yourself before you venture out alone.

Do, however, expect to need to do some work on one that you buy cheaply and there are some age related wear/tear specific things to look for on any catamaran and some are specific to certain models and brands. I'll let the other folks here share what to look for when purchasing a used Hobie 16.
Posted By: GS01

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 02:22 PM

The 16 singlehanded in the ocean is alot of fun. I am actually in the market for something else,but I will always have a 16 on the beach. Here is a video we made last winter I am on an 18, but race with the 16.-thomas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhOi5_Ue88

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 02:55 PM

The boat i would want would be something that i could just cruise around in single handed, never wanting to push it to its limits, but when my brother comes to the beach to visit me or when my friends are off work id love to one day do some races or really get it cranking.

Judging by the other sports you like... i bet when you get the hang of it.. you will want to push it hard most of the time (with or without your brother or crew).... its very exciting / addicting.

I think an h16 is a fantastic boat for you
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 06:32 PM

If you are buying a cheap, older boat, the prindle 16 may be a slightly better bet.
if you are buying a new boat, a nacra 500 may be better.

that said, you won't be disappointed with the hobie 16. Just make sure that you get some of the systems about to help you right from a capsize if you are single-handing.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 07:19 PM

so is the hobie 16 a good boat for me?

You may outgrow the boat, but you will never outgrow the competitiveness of the fleet. There's always someone with another 16 to sail with or against. It also doesn't cost much to get a 16 into racing shape.

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 07:31 PM

Thankyou guys for the quick and informative replies. The hobie 16 sounds like it will suit me pretty well for a while. ive been reading different topics throughout the catsailor forum all day and i must say this is an awesome resource/ forum. thanks again for the advice!

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 08:21 PM

Thankyou guys for the quick and informative replies. The hobie 16 sounds like it will suit me pretty well for a while. ive been reading different topics throughout the catsailor forum all day and i must say this is an awesome resource/ forum. thanks again for the advice!

You didn't venture into that "Drill Baby Drill" thread did you?.....I guess not...you're still here. smirk
Posted By: pgp

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 08:36 PM

You'll be back.

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
You'll be back.

no...no I won't!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
You didn't venture into that "Drill Baby Drill" thread did you?.....I guess not...you're still here. smirk

I tried to get out but they pulled me back in.

They're Here! Go to the Light, Carol Anne Jake!
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 08:43 PM

Good job, Jake.

Dr. Ray Stantz: "DON'T look directly into the trap..."

Dr. Egon Spengler, staring: "I looked in the trap, Ray!"
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 09:27 PM

don't cross the streams....
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/12/09 11:15 PM

Don't eat the yellow snow.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 12:47 AM

Sergeant Hulka: Soldier, I've noticed that you're always last.

John Winger: I'm pacing myself, Sergeant.
Posted By: tshan

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 01:37 AM

I need all the help I can get with catamaran sailing, but the reason I read these forums are exemplified the last 5 posts.... always good for a chuckle.

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 02:02 PM

I gotta quit looking into the trap, Ray.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 02:08 PM

I'mma steal one of Jakes'

Does Raggidy-Anne have cotton titties? :P

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 02:09 PM

well this thread got crazy pretty fast! I'm so lost, i guess ill have to wander into that thread that was mentioned earlier.
Posted By: blockp

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 02:14 PM

well this thread got crazy pretty fast! I'm so lost, i guess ill have to wander into that thread that was mentioned earlier.

Noooooooooo. Come away from the light. Come back...
Posted By: pgp

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 02:49 PM

"Ash nazg durbatulúk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Come back to the light!

In answer to your original question: NO! You need a Blade F16! laugh (I'm feeling much better today.)
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 03:41 PM

The 16 is a great first boat and for some they never leave it.

Are you the Gate Keeper, I am the Key Master.
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 05:54 PM

That's is Bleepin hilarious.

Back to the point. The H16 is a never ending challenge. A dicotomy if you will. An easy boat to sail and tough boat to sail well.

After 10+ years of spin boat racing where do I find the most fun and the boat that makes me a better driver/sailor/racer. Back on a 16.

For the times that the tramp cooler gets a little small there is always ROXY

Attached picture roxya.jpg
Posted By: pbisesi

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/13/09 06:07 PM

Quote:

Does Raggidy-Anne have cotton titties? :P

[Linked Image]

Does Howdy Doody have a Wooden A$$ ?
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/14/09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Korz
That's is Bleepin hilarious.

Back to the point. The H16 is a never ending challenge. A dicotomy if you will. An easy boat to sail and tough boat to sail well.

After 10+ years of spin boat racing where do I find the most fun and the boat that makes me a better driver/sailor/racer. Back on a 16.

For the times that the tramp cooler gets a little small there is always ROXY

I agree with Tom,the Hobie 16 is similar to the Laser,both easy boats to sail but both take lots of practice to sail well.The skills you learn from both these boats transfer nicely to making bigger more forgiving boats go fast.
BTW Tom is that the boat you are taking down to Kingston,book me for a ride it looks awesome.
Posted By: tami

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/16/09 04:50 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/27/09 01:54 AM

alright i found a potential candidate boat. heres the description-

"86 Hobie 16 very tight and fast boat. Completly rerigged in 07. Trapized for two. New harnesses, telescopic tiller, cat tracks, and trailer. This boat is ready to sail right now! Trailer is as new ready to go anywhere in the country. It will be hard to find a 16 in this condition at this price. Price is firm. $2000."

I emailed him asking about any soft spots and the condition of the bottom of the hulls (has it been dragged on the beach often). The fact that he owns cat trax is a good sign though im hoping. I also asked him exactly what the "rerigging in 07" consisted of.

is there anything else i need to ask before i drive the 4 hours to take a look at her?

Is the price to much considering the year? even though it includes all the extras? ill update the post whenever i get the email back from him.

thanks again for the advice!

Re: Hobie 16- is it right for me? - 02/27/09 01:56 AM

also the hulls are white. ive heard negative things about the older colored hulls being the first to delaminate
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums