Catsailor.com

Spinpole Windex Mount

Posted By: Strategery

Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 05:44 PM

Looking for opinion on how people have mounted this so that it doesn't rip the chute. Have a Black Max boom mount.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 05:55 PM

windex?

heh

Magnetic tape on bridles. If you put a windex anywhere, it probably should be on the top of the mast.

If you put it anywhere on the pole, the spin is going to eventually grab it, and rip it right off - or worse, put a hole in yer chute.

Mag tape works wonders!

Posted By: Jake

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:03 PM

like this:

[Linked Image]

But seriously, I've seen them mounted under the tip of the spinnaker pole several times...personally, I prefer a pair cassette tape on the spin pole bridles taped in place halfway between the hull and the tip of the spin pole.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:04 PM

That's classic!

Go with 8 track tape.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Go with 8 track tape.

8 track? What's and 8 track?????? grin

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:07 PM

[quote=Jake]like this:

[Linked Image]

My eyes,my eyes, the burning...

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Go with 8 track tape.

That's those things on the spin bridle you wouldn't look at, at the Tybee last year. shocked

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:48 PM

Go with 8 track tape.

That's those things on the spin bridle you wouldn't look at, at the Tybee last year. shocked

Why does the crew need to look at those? Was he having to drive too? (I gotta stand up for my SF crew).
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 06:49 PM

So that's how it's gonna be..... grin

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 07:13 PM

I was just supposed to let the old guy comment slide right by?
You know me better than that.

Jake,
It's a boat direction spin trim thang, I'll 'splain it to ya sometime.

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 07:13 PM

Too funny.

I use cassette, and old VHF tape. I think some Barney's playhouse video adorns my shrouds.

I do have tape on the bridles, and will keep it there - but I do know quite a few people have them on the pole, and I'm assuming that if there were issues, they would have yanked them.

But...that's why I bought a removable one. ;-)
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 07:17 PM

I'm tellin ya man

after a couple botched douses something's gonna give.

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 07:25 PM

I was just supposed to let the old guy comment slide right by?
You know me better than that.

Jake,
It's a boat direction spin trim thang, I'll 'splain it to ya sometime.

Errrrrrrok.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 07:25 PM

I mounted a Telocat to the bottom of the tip of the spipole and it was great...until I screwed up a douse and the whole works got tangled and holed. I was sailing single-handed and had to flip the boat to get the mess straightened out.

J
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/20/09 10:13 PM

I've created a vane from a 5" spring (Ace Hardware), some plastic celaphane sheet (craft shop), a straw (McDonalds). I cut the plastic into a triangle about 5" long by 1" wide and creased it down the middle to make it stiff. I wrapped the wide end around the straw and stapled it... The straw rotates freely on the spring... I just tape the vane to the end of the spin pole. It works great, but mainly only use it in light air conditions.

I've seen someone else use a cable cover and tell tale, which also works well...

Either of these are soft and flexible enough to not tear your spin.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 02:50 AM

Bon Jovi and Celine Dion are the fastest tapes out there. I hear Wayne Newton is quick, but I dont have any 1st hand knowledge, I will have to get the 8 track from Tawd.

I did join Columbia House and got a box full of 8 tracks when I was a kid...AC/DC hell's Bells was in that box....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 04:20 AM

i seem to recall someone claiming ABBA 8 track was fastest...

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by dave mosley
Bon Jovi and Celine Dion are the fastest tapes out there. I hear Wayne Newton is quick, but I dont have any 1st hand knowledge, I will have to get the 8 track from Tawd.

I did join Columbia House and got a box full of 8 tracks when I was a kid...AC/DC hell's Bells was in that box....

I've been using a "how to quit smoking tape" ever since I started sailing in 2000. I DID quit smoking cigs...but it hasn't helped me on the water...

yuk yuk yuk.....

consequently, while coming back from Keowee two weeks ago, while towing the boat back home, I had that cassette in the front trampoline pocket of my a-cat. The tail apparently snuck out the zipper enclosure and by the time I got home, I had a 50 yard tape streamer off the back of the boat...I think it used up that tape. I'm going to have to find something new....so let's hear it.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 01:32 PM

Waste of time and money putting one on the pole.The only time that you need one with a kite is in really light winds. the best place for one in light winds is atop the mast.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 02:47 PM

I've heard that Karen Carpenter is fast as well.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 04:06 PM

I've often wondered why we never see Telo Vanes, etc. at the top of masts on beach cats. Do you have to consider mast rake when putting on up there, or does that not have an effect on its performance?

Mike

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/21/09 04:23 PM

Rake doesn't matter, you can bend the staff if you need to. I tried it when I was starting out and got a sore neck from looking that far up(main tales are one thing but...) and I got tired of replacing them everytime I'd pitchpole, bent and broke them all up.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/22/09 04:57 AM

Yeah, I like them atop the mast for light air, but they rarely survive crashes.

Dave

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/22/09 03:06 PM

So...I rigged it on the pole...looked at it...thought logically, heard all your voices in the back of my head and gave it to my friend who has a laser regatta today. Merry Christmas.

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/22/09 03:44 PM

Good call. You won't regret it.

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/22/09 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Strategery
So...I rigged it on the pole...looked at it...thought logically, heard all your voices in the back of my head and gave it to my friend who has a laser regatta today. Merry Christmas.

Mark's deal with a spring, a straw, and a piece of cellophane works great and is unlikely to snag the kite.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/22/09 09:37 PM

Fitted on the spin pole for the last 4 years and no snags or problems:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bvining

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/23/09 02:16 PM

Pink is easier to see, Home Depot.

Attached picture jse_A_cat_Race_Day_1_054.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/23/09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
I had a 50 yard tape streamer off the back of the boat...I think it used up that tape. I'm going to have to find something new....so let's hear it.

I bet the 5 cars behind you thought you were ... ummmmm,.... well lets just say... ummmmm.... "special" smile

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/23/09 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MarkW_F18
I've created a vane from a 5" spring (Ace Hardware), some plastic celaphane sheet (craft shop), a straw (McDonalds). I cut the plastic into a triangle about 5" long by 1" wide and creased it down the middle to make it stiff. I wrapped the wide end around the straw and stapled it... The straw rotates freely on the spring... I just tape the vane to the end of the spin pole. It works great, but mainly only use it in light air conditions.

I've seen someone else use a cable cover and tell tale, which also works well...

Either of these are soft and flexible enough to not tear your spin.

Mark,
I'm not clear on the spring part, how does the vane attach/rest on the spring.How do you attach the spring to the boat? Tape,I'd guess.
A pic would be great.
Thanks.
Tawd
Posted By: Tornado

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/23/09 08:56 PM

I've run a Telocat from the spin pole tip for years. Never had a snag with the spinny (mid-pole snuffer).

Find it very handy in the light and imediately after a tack/gybe to get the right heading. Don't use it much once under way on a leg....not like the old days when the "apparent wind abeam" method rules supreme. Tried the much older mast head vane a few years ago...only useful in the light...rake is an issue. Also took a lot of scourn from the top Tboat guys in the country when they saw it up there...must have psyc'd them out ;-)

Posted By: zander

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/23/09 10:18 PM

(I gotta stand up for my SF crew).

So, go ahead stand up........oh, sorry you are standing. laugh

Re: Spinpole Windex Mount - 02/24/09 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by zander
(I gotta stand up for my SF crew).

So, go ahead stand up........oh, sorry you are standing. laugh

He's like the roaming gnome,ya can't tell if he's standing either.

Attached picture crzs_gnome_caribb_276x195.gif
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums