Catsailor.com

hobie 16 hull weight ?

Posted By: jimbo1

hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 12:49 AM

what is the weight range of each bare hull ? is it foam filled and can it get waterlogged ? thanks, this is my first hobie and want to be sure I haven't bought a slug that will consume too much time and money to enjoy.
Posted By: mmadge

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 01:41 AM

New hulls weigh between 67-72 lbs each.Yes they can get waterlogged.
Posted By: Jake

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 01:52 AM

but they're not exactly "foam filled". The outer walls of the hulls are comprised of a layer of fiberglass, a layer of foam, and an inner layer of fiberglass. The sandwich is roughly 1/2" thick. The inside of the hull, technically speaking, is completely hollow...there may be some secondary flotation in the hulls in the form of Styrofoam blocks.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jake
but they're not exactly "foam filled". The outer walls of the hulls are comprised of a layer of fiberglass, a layer of foam, and an inner layer of fiberglass. The sandwich is roughly 3/8" thick. The inside of the hull, technically speaking, is completely hollow...there is some secondary flotation in the hulls in the form of Styrofoam blocks.

Fixed it for you.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 02:49 AM

Looks kinda like this inside:

J
Posted By: jimbo1

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 03:19 AM

you guys are great with your quick info. but you didn't really have to cut up the whole thing to show me what the inside looks like !!!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 06:19 AM

How bad of a case of glass itch did you get?

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 06:31 AM

1616, That's no joke! I itched for a week after that stunt. mad Really, don't try that at home!

I like how the star ratings for that video are plummeting. People are pissed that I cut it up I guess. I thought it would be helpful to see inside of for repairs and what-not.

I guess the general populace of cat sailors aren't faced with this:
[Linked Image]
grin
J
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 07:03 AM

Wow
Johnny O using power tools. Where was the adult supervision.
Jimbo Jeremy gets people dropping trashed hulls off to him and he uses them for demonstrations like that. ( No useable Hobies were harmed in the making of his videos )

(The only time I saw Jeremy destroy a good Hobie part was when some Idiot let him skipper his Tiger at Dana Point.) OOps sorry I was supposed to let that go already.
Thanks for everything you do Jeremy.

Btw my wife said to ask "Hey where's A mark?" and "What course are we on?"
Posted By: pgp

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 12:33 PM

Wasn't there a watering hole that used old 16 hulls for the bar? They also make good planters.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

[Linked Image]

Hulls make really cool mail boxes.. i will post a picture of my friends P19 mailbox when i go there and take a picture of it...
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 03:15 PM

Surf city, Jeremy?,

You are a pinhead!

NOt for cutting up a H16 hull- I'm sure you wouldn't have cut up a good hull.

Because you HAVE NO EYE PROTECTION, USING SAWS, ETC.

The glass in your skin, while a major contact irritant, eventually subsides. The eyes can be another story.

I get a kick out of treating people in the ER, or Urgent care, when they come in b/c they got something in their eye b/c they were weed-eating their lawn, with no eye protection. BTW, I do my own lawn dare, and practice what I preach.

Any ol crappy pair of goggles, sunglasses, anything, really protects the eyes from a foreign body. Even slivers of nearly microscopic fiberglass. Oh wait, aren't those old Hobies Carbon? Well same thing.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 03:33 PM

even though no sailing multihulls were harmed in that video, I still consider it a very graphic horror movie!

Kind of like watching a necropsy. Necessary in some cases, but still disturbing to the uninitiated...

"ever seen a spleen that big?"
"Not since breakfast"
[Linked Image]
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

[Linked Image]

Hulls make really cool mail boxes.. i will post a picture of my friends P19 mailbox when i go there and take a picture of it...

So thats what the MX stands for , The Prindle 19 MailboX.
Thanks for solving that mystery.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 04:30 PM

And this is how you get a mailbox hull! The owner forgot his tie down staps and made a right turn driving home (but his boat didn't)

[Linked Image]

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Bouton
Surf city, Jeremy?,

You are a pinhead!

I know, I know! So many people have given me a hard time about that. You're so right. grin
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 02/26/09 05:41 PM

Jeremy, you think people were angry at you for that!!

You should have seen the hatred spewed at Trey when he destroyed a bunch of SOFT Hobie hulls under his Tahoe's tires.

Sure he had fun with it, but he couldn't even GIVE those away and risk being held liable for what happened if people tried to use them.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 03:18 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 04:24 AM

I've been through three regular 'ol black mailboxes in the last 6 months - I could never put that much energy into it...it would make it too much of a target.
Posted By: Banzilla

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 04:37 AM

[Linked Image]

Awesome, I need to replace our mailbox, only change I am making is to bury it upside down and use an old rudder painted red for the flag. Neighbors aught to hate it. laugh

thanks for the idea.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 01:52 PM

I've been through three regular 'ol black mailboxes in the last 6 months - I could never put that much energy into it...it would make it too much of a target.

Where do you live Jake, Compton? smile

PS he does live on a small, dead end road where all the neighbors know him...
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 02:16 PM

My father was sick of getting his mailbox smashed by hooligan kids. He'd gone through 3 or 4 in a month. So he finally got a hold of the mailman, and asked him to do him a small favor.... more to come.

So my dad goes and buys the BIGGEST metal mailbox he could find at the bigbox store. He also bought a bag of quickrete. He also got a tiny tiny mailbox. He bolted the tiny mailbox to the side opposite of where the mailboxes had been getting smashed.... then he filled the big mailbox fill of concrete and painted the thing BRIGHT GLOSSY RED.

So the mailman knew to put the mail in the smaller one, and sure as hell, a week later dad noticed the paint scratched on the big mailbox. No dent, just a scratch. He also noticed automotive glass all over the ground from the mailbox and running 20 feet down the street.

While walking our dog, my Mom saw a car in the neighborhood that was driving by one of the teenagers that lived there. It was missing its passenger's side rear glass.

Wooden baseball bats recoil pretty badly when they strike things harder than they are I guess :P

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 02:37 PM

Tad,
You shoulda gone over and took care of the rest of the car windows for that guy.
I had a friend who lived on a sharp turn , and cars would run over their mailbox when they took the turn too fast. So, his dad got a bulldozer drive shaft(Huge Caterpillar) and set it in a big bed of concrete for the post. No more problems.
Tawd
Posted By: mbounds

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

My father was sick of getting his mailbox smashed by hooligan kids. He'd gone through 3 or 4 in a month. So he finally got a hold of the mailman, and asked him to do him a small favor.... more to come.

So my dad goes and buys the BIGGEST metal mailbox he could find at the bigbox store. He also bought a bag of quickrete. He also got a tiny tiny mailbox. He bolted the tiny mailbox to the side opposite of where the mailboxes had been getting smashed.... then he filled the big mailbox fill of concrete and painted the thing BRIGHT GLOSSY RED.

So the mailman knew to put the mail in the smaller one, and sure as hell, a week later dad noticed the paint scratched on the big mailbox. No dent, just a scratch. He also noticed automotive glass all over the ground from the mailbox and running 20 feet down the street.

While walking our dog, my Mom saw a car in the neighborhood that was driving by one of the teenagers that lived there. It was missing its passenger's side rear glass.

Wooden baseball bats recoil pretty badly when they strike things harder than they are I guess :P

Friend of mine had a similar situation. Built a mailbox out of 8 ga. steel, on a 4" steel pipe set 6' into concrete.

Kid broke his arm (and the bat) when he hit it. Dumbass.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 03:53 PM

Where do you live Jake, Compton? smile

PS he does live on a small, dead end road where all the neighbors know him...

Nah...two of those incidents have actually been accidental (one my neighbor's RV) - I don't know what happened on the third....and I'm surprised that nobody jumped on this, but it's not because of an Obama sign in my front yard either (I don't have one!). grin

I've actually got a free offer for someone who wants a unique catamaran mailbox...I'll post a picture in the Test thread soon.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 04:33 PM

I've actually got a free offer for someone who wants a unique catamaran mailbox...I'll post a picture in the Test thread soon.

why the test thread?

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? - 03/03/09 05:50 PM

why the test thread?

Because all this is way off topic in this one and the test thread needs some help to climb back above the political thread as having the most posts.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums