Catsailor.com

DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009

Posted By: tami

DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 03/04/09 03:33 PM

April 25, 2009

NOR, SI, registration, etc at
http://www.mobileyachtclub.com/DIR2009.htm

Pass a good time on Mobile Bay!! Starts like a lamb, ends like a lion! Good feed, good party, good trophies!
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 03/04/09 03:38 PM

I hath deciphered your secret SA identity :P

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 03/04/09 03:54 PM

I'd just have told you if ye'd asked. I'm meant to be more sarcastic than secretive
Posted By: ButchG

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 03/04/09 04:58 PM

I'm in -- Prindle 19 w/Spi

New Boat, New Year, New Headache...err, Adventures wink

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/01/09 11:08 PM

bounce!
Posted By: JMAC

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 12:44 AM

I know there is a return race on Sunday (I actually paid for both days), but talking with folks is sounds like nobody will be there for Sunday.

If the wind holds out of the south/southeast, we'll have no chance to run with our chutes. I know at least one team that plans to do the return Sat afternoon. Anyone else for doing the return Sat afternoon?

Also, I've heard MYC is not very beach cat friendly (no beach?). Might wind up setting up at FYC.....
Posted By: Wing nut

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 12:50 AM

I plan on launching from FYC and a know a few others that are also... may be our only chance to pop the chute until after the finish line.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 01:33 AM

JMAC,
All the beachcats are staging out of FYC. We'll be set up noon Friday. NO to Saturday return, but you can bet your butt we'll be partying on the island Saturday after the race. Come set up with all of us at FYC.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by JMAC
I know at least one team that plans to do the return Sat afternoon.

Who? We will have our trailers and vehicles on the island. I can provide a ride or shuttle if needed. Call me if you need details. BTW, we are getting together for dinner Friday night, would be nice if you joined us.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 02:14 AM

FYC it is then.

The dude with the Carbon Fiber boat from Ft Walton doesn't want to pull up on the rocky beach with them thin skin pontoons. Besides, if we have 10-15, we'll be to the island in about 3 hours, and could easily make the spin run back in a couple more, get the boats on the trailers and still make it out to the island in time for rum runners. We'll talk about it Friday when we get there, and make the call before the skipper's meeting Friday night at 8:00. Sounds like a good party at MYC Friday night.

You staying over Sat night somewhere?

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 02:33 AM

Just remember well be shuttling the trailers and vehicles to the island sometime Friday. I'm working on a condo on the island, but not yet confirmed.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 02:42 AM

The dude with the Carbon Fiber

Brian? CF20? Dude, you selling out on the N20? OK, game on then . . . traitor! smile
Tell Brian I'll deliver the beach wheels to the island, don't be a puss.
Posted By: hoofhearted

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 11:52 AM

Hoof the 6.0 will be there, setting up at FYC, now, after hearing rumours about MYC beach. Looking to bring truck and trailer to Daupin Friday nite email.

Private email is orlandobass2003@yahoo.com if anyone want sto work all this out.
'
Craig
Posted By: Will_R

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mummp

Brian? CF20? Dude, you selling out on the N20? OK, game on then . . . traitor! smile
Tell Brian I'll deliver the beach wheels to the island, don't be a puss.

Nah, we're good. I agree with his assertion a/b sailing back on Sat. 10-15 out of the SE, it will be a QUICK ride back to FYC.

Brian hasn't had an I20 since the black boat.... That was... ~5 years ago?

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Will_R
Originally Posted by mummp

Brian? CFR20? Dude, you selling out on the N20? OK, game on then . . . traitor! smile

Brian hasn't had an I20 since the black boat.... That was... ~5 years ago?

Sorry, but that comment was directed at John. All the same, this is going to be a blast. Can't wait to see the CFR20 out, I'm really fond of that boat.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/23/09 07:29 PM

Oh, Ok, you can call John a Puss, I'm ok with that wink

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 02:07 AM

I don't follow! I meant Brian was concerned for his CFR hulls. I am all about the N20 man. After we cross the finish I'm gonna sheet in and said her right across that sandbar and into the gulf! Bows of steel....but, uh, dude we snapped the boards and ground off the bottoms of the hulls....awe man, hey check out that bikini!

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 05:40 AM

lol, actually the boards are really tough... ask me about a high speed grounding at Tybee island where the crew (not me) didn't manage to get either the Spi down or the daggers up while leading the second place boat by 5 min plus... and then losing the leg win and record....
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 01:12 PM

ask me about a high speed grounding at Tybee island where the crew (not me) didn't manage to get either the Spi down or the daggers up while leading the second place boat by 5 min plus... and then losing the leg win and record....

So that's how you throw the crew under the bus... noted and thanks.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

I'm usually on the front of the boat but at that time I was the ground crew who was trying to kick and free the now wedged dagger out of the hull. Only placing blame where it's due in this case wink (any trying to attest to the durability of an I20 daggerboard!)
Posted By: Jake

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 02:44 PM

I'm usually on the front of the boat but at that time I was the ground crew who was trying to kick and free the now wedged dagger out of the hull. Only placing blame where it's due in this case wink (any trying to attest to the durability of an I20 daggerboard!)

Hmmmm....can the ground crew shed blame on the boat crew (person on the front of the boat)? I'm not sure of the hierarchical order here but I thought only the skipper could do that.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Hmmmm....can the ground crew shed blame on the boat crew (person on the front of the boat)? I'm not sure of the hierarchical order here but I thought only the skipper could do that.

I saw this T-shirt the other night on TV.
"It was on fire when I got here"

Well, same situation, dagger was stuck in the sand and the Spi was still up when I got there (in 3' of water)..... wink
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Even then there are many restrictions per the recently renegotiated Crews Union contract of 2009.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/24/09 04:49 PM

Even then there are many restrictions per the recently renegotiated Crews Union contract of 2009.

I didn't know that we had a new collective bargaining agreement, I guess I better review it and get my skippers to sign them prior to going on the water. I don't want to be in violation and have a grievance filed against me, lol

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/26/09 12:34 PM

Really great event! 177 boats total, though only about a dozen multi-hulls. Beautiful day, though winds were light early. Mark Smith caught the first wind shift and jumped out to an early lead. Will/Brian were able to run him down and blew past him on the 2nd wind shift. Wind finally came in as the weatherman predicted about 3/4 of the way out to the island. Andy and I missed both shifts, and several jib/main boats handed us our lunch. Took us over 4 hours to make it out there, and a quick jib reach brought us back in an hour and a half.

Overall great event, definitely one to add to your calendar next year.

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/27/09 01:52 AM

Congrats to Tami who won the overall multihull division!!

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/27/09 11:53 AM

Backatcha Will!

Brian and Will took first to finish and first in class!

It was down to the last five miles. Brian and Will were cookin' with gas when the wind finally came on. I tried not to let them pass me but I came in behind them as soon as I could.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/27/09 01:15 PM

Way to go tami!!!!!!

Now I can say I knew her when... wink

Clayton

Re: DAUPHIN ISLAND race 2009 - 04/27/09 08:59 PM

results are here:
http://www.mobileyachtclub.com/DIR2009/AllFleets.TXT

You will note that Ray Breneman sailed a HELLUVA race on that 5.7....
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums