Catsailor.com

PeeDee Classic

Posted By: GS01

PeeDee Classic - 03/12/09 11:34 PM

Can any one give me any info on this race. Cost,camping, address,etc.-thomas
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:02 AM

Thomas, check out www.emsa-sailing.org(?) for all of our regattas this year. PeeDee(Hartsville March 21, Tommy Whiteside Memorial ,Columbia March28-29, ad of Course, Spring Fever Easter weekend!

Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by dave mosley
Tommy Whiteside Memorial ,Columbia March28-29

Dave,

Any new count on 16's at TWS?

Thomas, bring your single handed folks back to Columbia. Get one of Rick's squirrels and sail two up with the rest of us.
Posted By: Jake

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:08 AM

Cost...not much ($35 - $40)
Camping - yes, tons of space available at the club.
Facilities are relatively primative (there is a bath house).
There is usually a band on Saturday night!
It's a great friendly club and a great informal regatta that I look forward to kicking off the season with every year
The water is WARM (and I mean that).

I'm not completely certain about the address - but click the link below and it will take you right to it in Google maps...you can see the sailboats in the yard.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&a...p;spn=0.003866,0.007414&t=h&z=18
Posted By: tshan

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:37 AM

This is a complete thread hijack... boot me if you need to...

EMSA has a nice schedule of events and their sailors travel very well. What would it take to get some EMSA sailors to go west to Birmingham to help revive the multihull sailing (less than 2 hours from West ATL)? We used to get a lot of support out of GA and we NEED it again. BLR, John (F18s at the time) and Mark Smith came from out of town in the last few years, but we used to draw a lot of GA/SC/North FL peeps, too (way back in the day - Nigel, et al).

What are we doing wrong? Everyone seems to have a good time when they are here..... I'll take everything as constructive criticism.
Posted By: Storz

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:46 AM

I'll be there crewing for Scott Smith on an H16. Rolling in Friday night and planning on camping on site. Anyone else showing up Friday night? I'll also be at the TW on an H16, so add another to the count.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:50 AM

Warm water at Pee Dee = Nuclear plant lake, Meee Likeeee!

Jack, Im not in charge, so I dont know about pre-regs, but Im pretty sure 5-8 16's will be there.

Birmingham sounds nice, bring the boats up this way and lets work it out!

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:57 AM

Thomas, check out www.emsa-sailing.org(?) for all of our regattas this year. PeeDee(Hartsville March 21, Tommy Whiteside Memorial ,Columbia March28-29, ad of Course, Spring Fever Easter weekend!

Yea I have the EMSA schedule but there is no NOR for this race or the Tommy race. I had always assumed these were private races until I chatted with David Leonard the other day.
Jack , what do you mean borrow a squirrel and sail with the rest of us?

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 02:00 AM

www.columbiasailingclub.org pdf NOR is there, not private, great camping, big beach, good people, big clean lake.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 02:14 AM

Unfortunately, I promised to help crew on a leadhauler the weekend of Tommy and PeeDee is the same as perf midwinters. boo.

I'll see you guys at SF I guess!

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Storz
I'll be there crewing for Scott Smith on an H16. Rolling in Friday night and planning on camping on site. Anyone else showing up Friday night? I'll also be at the TW on an H16, so add another to the count.

Yes, most of us try to get there before nightfall on Friday.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jake
It's a great friendly club and a great informal regatta that I look forward to kicking off the season with every year

I'm not completely certain about the address - but click the link below and it will take you right to it in Google maps...you can see the sailboats in the yard.

I may be missing something but I need directions from Wilm,NC.
This is just a map of the lake? Should I just show up to the lake in Hartsville SC by the sailboats Fri evening?
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 11:28 AM

Thomas,

You can contact Buzz Moore at Pee Dee Classic, Hartsville, SC - Buzz Moore - buz.moore@pgnmail.com to get an address.

You should also join the Yahoo groups to keep in touch with the sailors in our area
EMSA's new email group; catamarancrazy@yahoogroups.com

Both links are on the emsa-sailing.org website
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 11:43 AM

Thomas,

Here are some directions form map quest.

1: Start out going SOUTH on S 3RD ST/US-17 BR toward US-76 W/WOOSTER ST. 0.0 mi
2: Turn RIGHT onto US-17 BR S/US-421 N/US-76 W. Continue to follow US-76 W. 3.5 mi
3: Keep LEFT at the fork to go on US-74 W. 74.6 mi
4: Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp on the LEFT (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA). 48.0 mi
5: Take the US-52 exit, EXIT 164, toward DARLINGTON/FLORENCE. 0.3 mi
6: Merge onto US-52 N toward TIMMONSVILLE. 4.9 mi
7: Turn LEFT onto S GOVERNOR WILLIAMS HWY/US-52 N. 2.1 mi
8: Take the SC-34 W/SC-151 ramp toward HARTSVILLE/CHARLOTTE. 0.2 mi
9: Turn LEFT onto SC-151/SC-34/HARTSVILLE HWY. Continue to follow SC-151 N. 17.8 mi
10: Turn RIGHT onto SC-23. 1.3 mi
11: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto NEW MARKET RD. 2.4 mi
12: Turn LEFT onto LAKEVIEW BLVD. 1.7 mi
13: Turn LEFT onto SAILCLUB DR/SC-S-13-674. 0.2 mi
14: Turn RIGHT to stay on SAILCLUB DR/SC-S-13-674. 0.3 mi
15: End at [300-1599] Sailclub Rd Hartsville, SC 29550
B: [300-1599] Sailclub Rd, Hartsville, SC 29550
Total Time: 2 hours 56 minutesTotal Distance: 157.34 miles
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by GS01

Jack , what do you mean borrow a squirrel and sail with the rest of us?

Several Catsailors have squirrels for crew. It is a way to sail two-up without all the problems that come with having your wife or girl friend on board. Squirrels eat little, don't like beer and normally don't give you a lot of crap when you screw up.

Notable Catsailors who have squirrel crew are Rick White and whoever John Williams is with.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:13 PM

Birmingham sounds nice, bring the boats up this way and lets work it out!

I'll be over for Cinco de Mayo. I'll try to get some other Bham people to come over. It seems like travelling is the best way to recruit others to reciprocate and come to your place.

Thanks and looking forward to it.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by GS01
Originally Posted by Jake

I may be missing something but I need directions from Wilm,NC.
This is just a map of the lake? Should I just show up to the lake in Hartsville SC by the sailboats Fri evening?

Hmmm...you're right - that didn't work out like I thought it would.

Do a search for SailClub Dr. in Hartsville, SC. That will get you really close. The club entrance is a little tricky to find. I've PM'd you my cell phone number in case you have any trouble.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 02:26 PM

You can right-click in google maps and get directions to anywhere, this may help -just put your starting location in smile

Google Map Directions
Posted By: John Williams

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mugrace72
Notable Catsailors who have squirrel crew are Rick White and whoever John Williams is with.

I get around too much - my rep's worse than a doorknob's.
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 05:05 PM

I wish I could make it to Pee Dee, but I'm planning to be at TW Columbia on a H16 and Spring Fever on the F18. I checked with David Devon and Derick Binkley and I don't think either will make Columbia. But it sounds like there will be at least 4 or more H16s there.
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 07:03 PM

Tom - the reason I didn't make it out this year was because it fell on the weekend directly after nationals. But let me know if you hold anything between now and cat capers.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 07:11 PM

Thanks everybody. See you next weekend. Im gonna skip TW but will also be at Spring Fever. -thomas
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/13/09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Originally Posted by Mugrace72

I get around too much - my rep's worse than a doorknob's.

John, just remember who dubbed you squirrel!
Posted By: P.M.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/14/09 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BLR_0719
But let me know if you hold anything between now and cat capers.

Brett, there is the Ironman Regatta May 15,16 at BSC. We did it two years ago and we (catamarans) got our own course. Great times, nice trophies. Tom mentioned something about it here:
Ironman Regattta
Looking forward to seeing you guys next week at MW on the N20!

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/14/09 12:01 PM

Yeah, Cat Caper was the weekend after NAs - so that would have made it tough.

We have a May 16/17 regatta that Philip mentioned. It is a big open event (leaners, dingies, cats...). If we can get enough cats committed, I may try to get them to run us on a "river distance course" on Saturday and do triangles on Sunday - nothing fleshed out.

Looking forward to checking out the 20.
Posted By: Joanna

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/15/09 12:51 AM

Okay guys...B'ham Iron man is when?? April or May?? I though Tom was telling me May.
Phillip you coming for SF and Cinco?
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/15/09 01:06 AM

It's May, 16th, 17th.

I'm going to try to make it to Cinco myself...at least I'm planning on it right now.

Mike

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/15/09 11:51 AM

May 16th is going to be hard to make since Brett and I both will be spending the majority of the day somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean between Fernandina Beach and Tybee Island.

Posted By: P.M.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/15/09 02:36 PM

Hey Jo, yeah I'll be at SF and plan on going to Cinco. It looks like you guys can make your own class at Ironman (two from Chattanooga, Tom, Andy, Mike, maybe Chris). Can't wait for SF, see ya there.

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/23/09 11:32 AM

I had an awesome time this past weekend at Pee Dee, learned a ton crewing with Scott on the H16, and until last weekend if someone told me the wind could come from all directions at once I would have thought they were crazy...not anymore smile

It was great to meet everyone and be able to put some names with faces! Looking forward to doing it all again next weekend in Columbia!

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/23/09 12:27 PM

f someone told me the wind could come from all directions at once I would have thought they were crazy...not anymore

Welcome to SE Lake sailing!

Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/23/09 01:10 PM

Lake Robinson (Pee Dee) takes shifty to a completely different level...

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/23/09 01:55 PM

The first time I sailed there, I hated it. The next time, I was more open to the idea that the shifts and holes are as much fun as they are challenging...Now I love kicking off the season there because you have to take it as a casual fun time and you just can't take it that seriously!

Poor Mike and Dave were dominating the 4rd race and in a two lap race. At the second A-mark rounding, they had a lead almost one entire leg long. I was rounding c-mark tightly contested for 2nd with Olie/Joanna on an F16 and Jack and Becky Wise on an F18. As I rounded, I looked up the course and saw Mike and Dave parked with the spinnaker drooping about 100 yards from A-mark. I proceeded to work up the shoreline up the right side of the course - trapezing at times. After I rounded A-mark, now in the lead, and got about 50 yards away from it heading downwind, I pass Mike and Dave who had just gotten some breeze again and got their boat going. Mike says; "No lead is a safe lead on Pee Dee!".
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/24/09 08:21 PM

How were the conditions other than the expected shiftness? # of races? Turnout? Results?

We'll see you all this weekend at Columbia

Re: PeeDee Classic - 03/24/09 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MarkW_F18
How were the conditions other than the expected shiftness? # of races? Turnout? Results?

We'll see you all this weekend at Columbia

Turnout was a little low. 4 races on Saturday but we had everything from 0 to 12 with short periods of sustained trapezing. A couple of boats retired in one or more races toward the end of the day. No races on Sunday as the wind failed to show up in enough quantity for us to try again. Opinions regarding the racing depended on how high up the results sheet you asked! laugh The water was 74 degrees and I thought it enjoyable!

10 boats; 3 a-cats, 3 F18s, 2 BladeF16s, 1 H16, and 1 TheMightyHobie18.

Results:

Low DPN:
Kohl (Acat) - 4pts
Lennard/Krantz (F18) - 6pts
Olson/Lienti (F16) - 7pts
Pitt (Acat) - 11pts
Wise (F18) - 14pts
Harper (Acat) - 15pts
Acosta (F18) - 20pts
Abrams (F16) - 20pts

high DPN
Smith (H16) - 3pts