Catsailor.com

Spinnaker Nesting Unit

Posted By: JACKFLASH

Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 09:16 PM

On my SX the new chute is a little large for the Nacra hoop and sock and makes launching/retrieving a chore. I was thinking about buying one of the SNU's from Dennis only with a slightly longer bag than an F18. Anybody here care to share their experiences with the SNU or if you other ideas I should consider. Currently I am using a midpole system with three patches. I know I sail a Hobie but it is the snuffer and sock from the Nacra F18 (not infusion). Maybe the new ones are bigger I don't know. Any ideas are appreciated.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 09:24 PM

Love it. Great design. Since it is just a half-ring, it works particularly well for rigs with the separate tack line. I had one on a 2006 Capricorn and will be putting it on the 2009 when it arrives.

Full disclosure: I'll be sailing with Dennis this season. We've teamed up for Nationals.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 09:24 PM

I love my SNU. My crew is 5' and 100 lbs.. She loves the ease of use. I can also snuff it as I sail. Great product and very nice to use and the manufacturer, Dennis is a sailor Tiger and A cat. I moved my snuffer out 6" past the called for instilation point snuffs easier if you round up a little that way.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
I had one on a 2006 Capricorn and will be putting it on the 2009 when it arrives.

Is that legal in f18 class racing? Just curious... not busting your chops
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 09:41 PM

Yes its legal Its not carbon its glass. Its even legal for some one design racing. I race mine in Hobie Tiger all the time. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 11:07 PM

SNU is great.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/17/09 11:48 PM

Collin,

I'm sure you may have, but if not, be sure to check it while it's on land as to all the turning blocks good and all lines moving freely, and nothing bound up anywhere.

Seems like the slightest resistence somewhere can make it real hard to launch/snuff.

good luck
Posted By: Jake

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
Originally Posted by John Williams
I had one on a 2006 Capricorn and will be putting it on the 2009 when it arrives.

Is that legal in f18 class racing? Just curious... not busting your chops

Absolutely! F18 is really not that restrictive. They only pick and choose some materials in an attempt to keep cost low and competition among manufacturers high.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 04:19 AM

I have a SNU on the HT, and I'm very pleased with it, and Dennis.

Dave
Posted By: F18_VB

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 04:56 AM

The SNU is awesome. It is the only thing I have done to my F18 that I know has actually changed the result of a race.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 12:58 PM

When you tie the retreival line to the top patch, do a large bowline or put stopper knot down the line a bit so that all 3 patches don't bunch together and try to go throught the hoop a once.
This will make the snuffed sail longer so sock length may be an issue
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
When you tie the retrieval line to the top patch, do a large bowline or put stopper knot down the line a bit so that all 3 patches don't bunch together

I tie a bowline in my top patch, but i also put a stopper ball in the line otherwise my bowline know will pop through the back of the snuffer bag (through the small grommet hole the retrieval line runs through) and i will not be able to pull the spin back out.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 02:29 PM

SNU isn't legal for N20 is it?

9.2a Any Snuffer is considered class legal if purchased through P.S. I., Inc., The spinnaker tack distance from the front beam must remain the same.

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 02:32 PM

the SNU is not legal for the N20.

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 03:47 PM

Unless Performance sells it to you - then it is legal.
Posted By: BoK

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 05:23 PM

Right... I'll have to get a receipt from PSI. I'm sure everyone else has their receipts from PSI for their mid-pole snuffers.... LOL
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 05:26 PM

its fairly obvious when you show up in a N20 in a non-class hoop. They all look, feel, and act the same way.

Posted By: Jake

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BoK
Right... I'll have to get a receipt from PSI. I'm sure everyone else has their receipts from PSI for their mid-pole snuffers.... LOL

I have yet to see a Nacra 20 without a factory snuffer...seriously...and I see more than my share of them. Well, that's actually not true...there was that time Larry showed up with a galvanized pipe.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 07:37 PM

Flesh rocket Larry? Doesn't suprise me..

I think galvanized pipe is slightly heavier than the carbon one?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 08:19 PM

My brother has a galvanized pipe "the fence post" for a spin pole too. Oh and get this... it has a spreader bar, you know how delicate the galvanized pipes can be! Yes it's a frankenboat and he loves his multipliers.

Oh, and we don't talk about open class vs. OD/Formula racing at family gatherings anymore.

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/18/09 08:26 PM

Didn't you sail on that boat for Mug Race? It was good enough for you then, OD snob.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/19/09 11:35 PM

Boots and walnuts?

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/20/09 11:46 PM

Which is better, or worse as the case may be, for dual use objects being used as a spin pole/snuffer?

A galvanized fence post (used as a spin pole)?

or a piece of sewer/drain pipe (used as a snuffer tube)?

Both work well by the way for their respective applications.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Spinnaker Nesting Unit - 03/21/09 12:01 AM

Why yes my friend that is true but, I was able to convince him that we could run "fence post" free. Yes, it took a few adult beverages and some sweet talk but I finally got my way. He's my brother and all but geebus there has to be a line somewhere.

If I recall correctly that was the year you almost took it all... F18's RULE! Then you packed your sh!@ and moved west, W-T-F dude!

OD snob? Bigot is more accurate.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums