Catsailor.com

Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing.

Posted By: Timbo

Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 04:30 PM

Some good news: http://www.ussailing.org/pressreleases/2009/Jobson%20nomination.asp

I think he will be a breath of fresh air (pun intended) and as far as I know, is not a -hater- of the multihulls.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Some good news: http://www.ussailing.org/pressreleases/2009/Jobson%20nomination.asp

I think he will be a breath of fresh air (pun intended) and as far as I know, is not a -hater- of the multihulls.

from his commentary of the Olympics

arlier in the day 10 Tornadoes may have sailed their final Olympic race. Spain's Fernando Echavarri and Anton Paz Blanko won four races to clinch the Gold medal. For a brief time Australia looked like they might challenge, but the Spanish were two strong. And for my editorial comment I think some form of multihull belongs in the Olympic Games.

I also read an article of his linked from Scuttlebutt recently that he expressed favor of seeing a multihull in the Olympics in the future.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 04:47 PM

And in the new Sailig World he talks about the America's Cup fiasco, and says he would like to see it done on the huge Tri's, to get the public interest up again, and also go back to the nationality rules where all on board must be from the country of origin.

I've been reading his stuff since he helped Ted Turner win the AC back in the 70's, I think he has always had good ideas, maybe now he can push US Sailing to wake up and join the 21st Century.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 04:53 PM

I've met and talked with Jobson a couple of times. Nice guy, very personalble. He talks with great distain about multi's though. I can only hope he has changed his tune in more recent years.

I never felt he gave the Tornado's enough coverage in his Olympic programs that he did. But I'm a little biased I have to admit. wink

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:06 PM

http://www.sailingworld.com/racing-...is-in-need-of-a-makeover-1000070318.html

Here's his take on the America's Cup.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:11 PM

He's already on the board of directors. Capron's hitting a time limit.

While I think it's overdue in many areas, I'm simply not expecting to see major policy change as a result of this.

I want to be proven wrong on this, only time will tell.

Mike
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:18 PM

From Sailing Anarchy:

President Jobson?

Gary Jobson has been nominated as the President of US Sailing, and is to be elected by the Board in October. Apparently, he runs unopposed. How nice for him. Let's remember he was appointed to the Board of US Sailing as the "Select Director", which is a discretionary appointment by statute for the President to make, with Board approval. So, US Sailing will now be led by someone who was not elected ever by any vote of the members. If Jobson is elected, then Annapolis YC will have had three of the last five Presidents of US Sailing. The west coast has not had a President since Chuck Kober in the mid 80's, a full 25 years. Several questions emerge here. Is the US Sailing nomination process appropriate corporate governance for a non-profit company? Is Jobson an appropriate person to be President of US Sailing? Looks like the good ol' boy club is alive and well. Weigh in here.
03/30/09
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:21 PM

Are there any alternative candidates?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:23 PM

We should nominated JW

Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:26 PM

That would be an excellent man in that position IMHO. Give him some years and perhaps it becomes reality smile

Here in Norway multihullers and multihull friends have begun to get into position. "Look to Norway" laugh
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:28 PM

The election is in October, surely more candidates can get nominated by then?
Anyone know how the "election" process works?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
The election is in October, surely more candidates can get nominated by then?
Anyone know how the "election" process works?

I don't know how the nomination process takes place, but Sailing Anarchy has had some bone to pick with Jobson as far as I can remember - not exactly "impartial journalism". They seem to have some negative reaction to any other sailing related journalist or journalism come to think of it.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 05:54 PM

They seem to have some negative reaction to any other sailing related journalist or journalism come to think of it.

Its how they came into existence in the first place. At least they don't try to hide that fact.

not exactly "impartial journalism"

Such a thing exists? In my education as a history major, I was taught that impartiality was impossible, and that bias is in everything that is put to paper (or intarwebs).

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 06:20 PM

Over on SA they said he was appointed to the position he's in now by the president of USSA and that if he was elected(he's running uncontested) there would never have been a single member vote cast.
I recall Jobson hating Multihulls in the past, so I wouldn't expect alot of change. He seems like a good guy to get sailing more recognized, just probably not multi friendly.
Todd
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 08:24 PM

Here's the straight poop. He's an advocate for multihulls in the higher-level events, though he doesn't have as complete knowledge about them as he often demonstrates regarding other classes. He made a specific effort over the weekend to talk with multihull sailors to see what their concerns are and he really listened to the answers. Without specifically condemning anyone, he definitely let us know in no uncertain terms that we're in for some changes.

He could have spent his Sunday morning and the ride to DIA with anyone. He came and found me, asked me if I needed a ride, and we talked a lot about things that are to come. As I sit on the Nominating Committee to represent the Multihull Council, I was very skeptical about him. In fact, I was a holdout vote up until the time that all but one other person had made up their mind that of the candidates we had, Gary was the best. After listening to him during the Board meeting and at various times over the weekend, I think Jobson's going to be a good leader.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 08:36 PM

Thanks for that report John. I have always thought he was very open minded, all sailing is good sailing, he wants to grow the sport and he knows two things will do that, speed and fun. When you add those two together you get a multihull. I hope you offered to take him for a spin on your Cap!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 09:35 PM

He'll be here next month. wink

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 09:42 PM

Don't snap your tiller extension :P

Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 09:52 PM

he wants to grow the sport and he knows two things will do that, speed and fun.

Grow the sport.... What do you mean?
It's often said but never thought about... I think every US Sailing President is 100 % committed to growing the sport! How becomes the problem.... Jim Capron's mandatory membership idea was to get funds to do stuff.... err... not a good plan!

If Gary Jobson got a series of films produced using Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, which grabbed the public's attention and motivated thousands and thousands of couch potatoes to buy 20 year old boat, a bottle of wine and then get's them to happily putter around on the weekend for a day sail with 10 kids on the bat... is that "Growing the sport"

How about an action adventure with James Bond being chased on his Hobie (all catamarans are Hobbies). Is that what we need to grow the sport?

Is there a difference between Sailing and the sport of Sailing? Should my dues paid for the admin of racing go to support "sailing"?

What if he took all of the dues and funded learn to sail programs. Is that growing the sport and how he should spend money?

So... what kind of plan do you want Jobson to implement.

Personally, I will be delighted if US Sailing is able to focus on the core job of simply being a first class admin for the sport. We don't need national sailing coaches screwing up by sending a mixed team to what turns out to be a men's only international championship. We need administration that is absolutely fair and impartial for the elite sailors competing for the Olympics and we need admin which represents all disciplines equally to ISAF. We need admin that does not require the USOC to order a rewrite of the basic rules for fair sailing and redress of the sport.
I would like the damn web site to work... it seems every time i go to a saved link... it's dead and I have to find crap all over again.

Perhaps we need some reinvention of the admin details for
Rules and appeals, Judges, RC's, Training certifications
Scheduling events ladder events that feed ISAF world events.
Handicap rating administration is a bit like invading Afganistan... always a quagmire ... but most think we need some standards. They seem OK to me, but others might see needed improvement.
There are all admin functions that support racing at the local level.

Personally, I want a US Sailing Pres who steps into a sailing region and behind his leadership works to reinvigorate the yacht clubs and racing fleets that are the core of the sport of sailing. Leadership is needed to right size the schedule to the level of interest, coordinate and focus the rank and file around a racing plan to improve their racing experience. If the local PHRF C class is just alive...I think some attention by US Sailing might get the class moving (or like Obama with GM...) perhaps a change of leadership is needed. US Sailing should support YC's that have a plan and are working their plan and get their regional sailing authorities in action.

So... What do you mean by grow... What do you think YOUR National organization could or should do under Jobson's leadership?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 10:13 PM

Mark, personally, I think much more effort should be directed to a national "Learn to Sail" type program, like the new SailLaser program in Miami. In my opinion, US Sailing has spent way too much time and money focused on the Olympics, a once every 4 year event, which 99.9% of US Sailing members don't give a hoot about. But maybe Gary can change that too with better prime time TV coverage.

For the sport to survive we need manufacturers to survive, and for them to survive, we need more -new people- to get into the sport and buy boats. If they eventually work their way up to the Olympic level, great, but more access to better comunity sailing programs would be a great place to focus attention first.

If you don't water the roots, the tree will die, no matter how much water (money) you spray at the top. And maybe they will finally come up with some cheap rental boats at US Sailing Centers and a short, quick, check out program, to encourage more kids to get involved. There should be one of these centers in every major US city with a suitable waterfront location.

http://www.sail-laser.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=600&Itemid=607

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 10:26 PM

You have a valid point of view. I would note... it is completely at odds with the USYRU roots of US Sailing and the general mission of US Sailing over the years.

They would probably say... those kinds of programs are organized and paid for at the local level. How would a national organization go about making this happen?

US Sailing can provide training and certification programs so that your club's liability is minimized. What else do you think they could provide?

Personally... i see "Learn to Sail programs as the responsibility of the Resort Hotels, BUILDERS, Marina's and Yacht Clubs and Small Buisness's. (that's why I suggested the crazy marketing program)

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 10:40 PM

Mark, I think it should be the mission of US Sailing to do what the Britts have been doing for years. Any wonder they always kick our butt in Olympic sailing? With a country of what, 10% the population of the US and not even 10% of available water front, they always put up a very tough Olympic Sailing Team. BUT, they have RYA sailing centers all over the place, where anyone (even an American!) may walk in and get lessons, or rent a boat, imediately, at a very reasonable cost, much less than anything US Sailing offers. ($30/day there vs. $300 for a 2 day US Sailing course). Hopefully now that SailLaser has brought their system to the USA, more -new people- will get involved.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 10:47 PM

Get Lance Armstrong into a boat.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Don't snap your tiller extension :P

You seem to confuse other people with yourself often.
Posted By: ncik

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/30/09 11:13 PM

...or turn one of sailings already existent "Lance Armstrong's" into a mainstream media personality...

We already have the performers and personalities, hell, sailing has some of the greatest and biggest personalities in society!!! We also have some of the biggest asshats who should be either turned into the person you love to hate, or kept away from the mainstream media totally. Maybe the help of a public/media relations company would be money well spent...?

I suspect the rise of Ellen Macarthur has spurred the UK's increased participation and funding in sailing. They love her and she is a great spokeswoman for the sport.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 12:02 AM

Thanks JW. From the statements by Jobson himself, I was highly skeptical of his even faint interest in multihulls. The last Olympics with his just about ZERO coverage of the Multihull event, and even then negative. My doubt level is now reduced from 100% to 90%. OK 85%.
Hmm- we need to get Lance acquainted with Randy Smyth.
Posted By: simonp

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by hobie1616
Get Lance Armstrong into a boat.

Now that might actually work. When Lance announced he was going the do the tour down-under the number of cyclists on adelaide roads boomed and the event had thousands of riders and 500,000 spectators.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 01:29 AM

True. ... Lance Armstrong drives cycling participation. Michael Phelps drives swimming participation. Ellen McCarther never won anything but at less then 5 foot tall... She struck a chord racing around the world alone. They happen to be freaks of nature with extraordinary accomplishments... but OK..

Do you want your US Sailing dues to go into sports marketing of some of the sport's sailing elite to the mainstream? Who would you pick right now?

Here is one sad example.. ... John Kerry went windsurfing on his vacation prior to the fall election cycle.... The PR and photo's did not work out so well for him in the election... or for windsurfing (elitist yachting type... who the hell goes windsurfing... tacking.. whats that about... OH what a flip flopper...) .

Probably the last well known US sailing personality was Steve Fosset... Should US Sailing market him? Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing. They did a fine job of promoting themselves. I wonder how most Americans feel about the America's Cup these days?

At the other end of the What should US Sailing do spectrum are lots of sensible people don't think we need much organization at the national level at all. .. As they put it.. "Hey... don't tell me what to do.... keep the taxes low... keep an eye on those controlling europeans and don't make a lot of rules to bother me with." Many cat sailors are the same way.... Oh... why can't we go back to day where we had a party and some racing. We don't need a stinking organization with lots of rules, insurance waivers, etc etc.

What do you really want US Sailing to do?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Ellen McCarther never won anything ...

Say what? how about setting the single handed round the world non-stop sailing record? I would call that "winning something".

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 01:57 AM

I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say. Her image was created and marketed in that first go and she got knighted...or whatever they do to women over there... in her second go.! There hasn't been a third go at it. Does it grow the sport of sailing in Great Britan ... I don't know. marginally perhaps.
I doubt it's a good use of USSA dues to try and grow the sport by marketing some names.

( I can't say I have noticed lots of short women sailors coming up the ladder)

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 02:45 AM

I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say. Her image was created and marketed in that first go and she got knighted...or whatever they do to women over there... in her second go.! There hasn't been a third go at it. Does it grow the sport of sailing in Great Britan ... I don't know. marginally perhaps.
I doubt it's a good use of USSA dues to try and grow the sport by marketing some names.

( I can't say I have noticed lots of short women sailors coming up the ladder)

Oh, she won it. At 28 years of age she beat a record set by Joyon that many thought would stand for years (he beat the previous long standing record by 20 days only months earlier). Joyon did get the record back later but she did own the record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/sailing/4229079.stm

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ncik
I suspect the rise of Ellen Macarthur has spurred the UK's increased participation and funding in sailing. They love her and she is a great spokeswoman for the sport.
Don't forget Sam Davies, the latest UK woman to do a solo circumnavigation in the Vendee Globe.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 03:57 AM

Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing.

Awwww, come on. Captain Outrageous would be a real shot in the arm for sailing. Besides, he also sailed an TheMightyHobie18.
Posted By: ncik

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 09:19 AM

True. ... Lance Armstrong drives cycling participation. Michael Phelps drives swimming participation. Ellen McCarther never won anything but at less then 5 foot tall... She struck a chord racing around the world alone. They happen to be freaks of nature with extraordinary accomplishments... but OK..

Do you want your US Sailing dues to go into sports marketing of some of the sport's sailing elite to the mainstream? Who would you pick right now?

Here is one sad example.. ... John Kerry went windsurfing on his vacation prior to the fall election cycle.... The PR and photo's did not work out so well for him in the election... or for windsurfing (elitist yachting type... who the hell goes windsurfing... tacking.. whats that about... OH what a flip flopper...) .

Probably the last well known US sailing personality was Steve Fosset... Should US Sailing market him? Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing. They did a fine job of promoting themselves. I wonder how most Americans feel about the America's Cup these days?

At the other end of the What should US Sailing do spectrum are lots of sensible people don't think we need much organization at the national level at all. .. As they put it.. "Hey... don't tell me what to do.... keep the taxes low... keep an eye on those controlling europeans and don't make a lot of rules to bother me with." Many cat sailors are the same way.... Oh... why can't we go back to day where we had a party and some racing. We don't need a stinking organization with lots of rules, insurance waivers, etc etc.

What do you really want US Sailing to do?

Forget the asshats (Dennis Conner indeed!), look for dinghy sailors, give em a few bucks, get em on TV/radio/internet. They probably don't need to be Olympic level sailors, just someone very personable, reasonably attractive (photogenic) and has a chance at being towards the pointy end of a big fleet. Dare I say a laser sailor?

Steve Fosset wasn't bad, but probably suffered from tall-poppy syndrome from teh general public.

Look at the promotion Rohan Veal has given to moths...he is a sailing house-hold name. Ellen Macarthur was a hit on Top Gear when she set the fastest lap time! BAM, the opinion of a few million UK non-sailors changed overnight with that one appearance. It surely led to more ppl getting into sailing. Both personable, reasonably attractive, and at the pointy end of their fleets. Both also happened to promote themselves very well online.

Not my dues, I'm from down-under. OK, you can ignore me now if you wish. And I'm not in marketing at all, just seems like common sense from the cheap seats. It's all been done before, just look at similar sports for marketing strategies.

It all goes back to the basic goals of US Sailing/Yachting Australia/ISAF, and if building sailing participation is part of your constitution or objectives, then this seems like a simple and relatively cheap solution. Alot of the sailing marketing/promotion/media is aimed at existing sailors, preaching to the choir. It's just a matter of deciding whether or not the association wishes to build fleets.

But we all know what sailors are like, cheap...
Posted By: pepin

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 02:39 PM

I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say.

Right. Ellen McArthur never won anything. per say. Let me refresh your memory:

2000, Plymouth to Newport in 14 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes. This is the current record for a single-handed monohull east-to-west passage, and also the record for a single-handed woman in any vessel.

Vendée Globe 2000, second. With a time of 94 days, 4 hours and 25 minutes, still the world record for a single-handed, non-stop, monohull circumnavigation by a woman.

2004 Ambrose Light, Lower New York Bay to Lizard Point, Cornwall in 7 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes. This set a new world record for a transatlantic crossing by women, beating the previous crewed record as well as the singlehanded version.

In 2005, Jules verne record. Single-handed non-stop circumnavigation. 27,354 nautical miles (50,660 km) at an average speed of 15.9 knots. Her time of 71 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes 33 seconds beat Joyon's then world record time by 1 day, 8 hours, 35 minutes and 49 seconds. Record recaptured by Joyon in 2007.

And the most important record: She hold top spot on the Top Gear track in a Susuki Liana. Beat that!

Full CV there: http://www.btteamellen.com/ellen/feature-articles.asp?sid=20477

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 02:58 PM

I think you are very much on target Nick. But unfortunately, here in America, Sailing is seen as some weird pussy sport for the Elite, rich, pussys who can't play football or baseball.

Every time I mention it to the guys I fly with, they say, "I'll bet that's expensive..." And our access to good water is somewhat limited to yacht clubs, since most of our public beaches do NOT allow sailboats or wind surfers or kites to launch with swimmers in the area. Public Safety, Injuries, Lawsuits and all that.

And we have a simple alternative available at most beach locations, Jet Ski rentals. I hate them, but the public loves them. Fast, zero learning curve, great for a quick 30 minutes of "Fun" jumping over waves. Compare that to leaning how to sail when the wind is too light, or too strong, or the waves are too big, etc, etc, etc. and you can see why Americans buy Jet Ski's instead of sailboats.

And that's the ones who actually get off the couch and go to the beach. Quite a few Dads are sitting on the couch every Sunday, watching NASCAR, or Football, or whatever other sport is on TV on Sunday. You know that 60% of Americans are overweight and 30% are obese, and our kids are getting that way too. They don't want to go out and play when they can get on the internet and Facebook all day.

I think we shuould get Tiger Woods into sailing, he lives in Orlando part of the year. But I'll bet his big money contract fobids it, as he might injure his knee again or something.

The bottom line (pun intended) is that there is just not much -money- to be made with sailing. It doesn't bring in the advertising revenue that the Daytona 500 does because the public doesn't understand it, or watch it on TV. No advertising means no TV visability means no notice by most of the public, means no growth.

I know Gary Jobson has been trying for many years to increase the TV visability of sailing on ESPN, etc. I hope he can continue to push ESPN Producers to show more sailing and get some big money sponsors to pony up some money for more TV coverage of events.

Obama is pushing for a new "Green" economy, Sailing would fit right in, all we have to do is figure out how to present it to the public in a way that makes people want to try it. Magazine pictures of 10 guys sitting on the rail of a Grand Prix 50 footer is not the way. We need to push the bottom end, the Opti's, Lasers, Hobie 16's, etc. People see those as more affordable, entry level and might try that. Get Tiger on a Hobie 16 with his hot wife, that would get some golfers thinking about it! grin
Posted By: pgp

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 03:11 PM

We're probably missing a sponsorship opportunity precisely because of the economy and "couch potato syndrome".

Consider the idea of approaching any of the national convenience store chains. A rational scenario goes like this: the store gives away free coupons at any regatta in hopes of increasing store traffic. The coupons can be for small items i.e. ice, sodas and the like with a few loss leaders- $5 off a full tank of gas.

That's a simple beginning. Once a relationship is established it can be expanded.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 03:20 PM

Budweiser seems to sponsor everything in the USA, except a sailboat. They do sponsor regattas sometimes, and Heineken does as well, just not in the US. Now that InBev bought Bud, maybe we can get some of the Euro management types to sponsor more sailing events.
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 03:22 PM

It will be nice to have someone of Gary Jobsons reknown to be US Sailing President .... but one person is not going to be able to wave their "Magic Wand" and make it "all better". It takes ordinary people like you and I to do the heavy lifting. To make the time in our busy lives and help our sport w/ helping newbies freely .... taking kids for rides .... contacting local politicions about public water access .... basicly giving our time and energy .... Not just by only going racing ... either bouys or distance.

It has taken me years to "grow" to this point, for years I was a member of the "Backyard Yacht Club". I kept my boats in the backyard and only went racing. Years ago I was involved in helping the Special Olypics ... having the HONOR to be a Sailing Coach at the New Haven Special Olypics World Games which was the first time for sailing in the world games. But then I lost my way ... I allowed my job to become the "be all and end all" in my life .... I made several company owners rich w/ my work and efforts .... but it wasn't working, something was missing.

About five years ago I stumbled across a small local yacht club and I joined ... I started to help out ... I took the US Sailing Basic Race Management Course ... this year since last year I had worked in every position on RC except PRO I'll be PRO for some of the club races. Last fall I offered to make a Meatball and Tomato Gravy Dinner as a Fund Raiser for the Jr Sailing Program ... on March 28th we served just over 100 people and raised just slightly over $800.00 for the Jr Sailing Team for equipment and expenses to travel to other events including Regional Jr Championships.

So you may find a great leader to lead ... but it will eventually come down to the "rank and file" members .... who will volunteer their time, knowledge and positive belief that will make things happen.

Example: Does anyone know how the worldwide Special Olympics Sailing Program came to be??? Who stated it initially??? .... It was started by a small group of "local guys" from Cecial County MD who saw a need in their community ... they got together w/ the parents of the special "needs kids" and Hobie Fleet 54 ... and started a program that today has grown to be WORLDWIDE!!! No bigwigs ... no government money .... just "ordinary folk" doing something for their nieghbors!!!! AND IT WAS BEACH CATTERS/MULTIHULLERS WHO LED THE WAY !!!!

And Gary Jobson was there in New Haven to open the Sailing Venue and start the racing .....

Harry Murphey

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 04:08 PM

Budweiser seems to sponsor everything in the USA, except a sailboat. They do sponsor regattas sometimes, and Heineken does as well, just not in the US. Now that InBev bought Bud, maybe we can get some of the Euro management types to sponsor more sailing events.
Not any more. After thirty years Bud canceled their sponsorship of Kenny Bernstein's AA fuel car.

InBev is a heavily leveraged deep pockets company. Their motto is Fill 'em Up.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 04:16 PM

Good luck with THAT. I work with them regularly and they are particularly restrictive with money and terms.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by HMurphey

Example: Does anyone know how the worldwide Special Olympics Sailing Program came to be??? Who stated it initially??? .... It was started by a small group of "local guys" from Cecial County MD who saw a need in their community ... they got together w/ the parents of the special "needs kids" and Hobie Fleet 54 ... and started a program that today has grown to be WORLDWIDE!!! No bigwigs ... no government money .... just "ordinary folk" doing something for their nieghbors!!!! AND IT WAS BEACH CATTERS/MULTIHULLERS WHO LED THE WAY !!!!

And Gary Jobson was there in New Haven to open the Sailing Venue and start the racing .....

Harry Murphey

I believe the Hospice Regattas were started in that same area, and for a while were associated with USS, but no longer.

Any idea what happened?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 04:50 PM

Bingo! The best we've been able to do in the past is get their out of date beer, and that was through a connection that worked there.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 07:07 PM

Maybe we should be talking to Sam Adams then. Many years ago I was hosting a parent-teacher thing at a private school up in NH. We needed beer, of course, so I called the Boston Beer Company (Sam's brewer) and they said, "Sure, how many cases do you want?" 15 cases of Sam's were delivered and they could not have been nicer! I have been drinking Sam's ever since so I guess it worked for both of us. But I don't know if they would sponsor a regatta, all we can do is ask.

Here's something else to think about. I was just at the dentists office, my kid needed some teeth pulled for braces, anyway, in the waiting room, there was a National Geographic Adventure magazine. Great stories about adventure sports all over the world. But I could not find a single add by Hobie, Nacra, Laser, or any other performance type sailboat. Not even a kayak add. In fact the only sailig add I could find, way in the back, was a 2" square add in tiny print, for the Steve and Doris Colgate Offshore Sailing School.

I don't know where Hobie spends their advertising dollars but I would think a magazine like that would be a really good place to start.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 07:16 PM

Sounds like you have an in with Sam Adams, you gonna give them a call and score us some beer?
Posted By: srm

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 07:29 PM

I was just at the dentists office, my kid needed some teeth pulled for braces, anyway, in the waiting room, there was a National Geographic Adventure magazine.

My buddy owned a windsurfing shop for about 20 years. The shop was in a metro area with lots of stores and traffic. Across the street was a Jiffy Lube and every so often he'd take a handful of leftover windsurfing mags and put them on the table in the waiting room. Don't know if it ever got him any business, but it seemed like an easy way to spread the word to a crowd that would otherwise not be exposed to sailing/windsurfing.

sm

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 03/31/09 11:03 PM

Dave, I can call the Boston Beer Company and see what they can do, now, should I send it directly to your house or mine? grin

Next time I host a regatta in Sebring, I'll come up with something. Might not be good beer, but it will be free.

If I were in charge of Marketing and Advertising for Hobie, I would put a big add in every type of outdoor sports magazine I could find. Ski, Windsurfing, Skin Diver, Golf, Mountain Bike, Nat. Geo Adventure, etc. That's what the outdoorsy people read, and they are your customers, or might be, if they only knew about cats.
Posted By: Strategery

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 02:25 AM

Guys,

I don't know about Jobson's history (beyond the obvious stuff), but I do know that he gave us "local boys" on a 28R equal air time to the big dog monohulls in his coverage of KWRW 2007. This wasn't because I paid him or knew him - I shot him an email and talked about the fact that this was the ONLY mainstream major event with a multi OD class. I asked if he'd cover the class to increase the visibility of Multis and to provide some more exciting speed/variety to the show. He thought it made sense, and he did it.

He's been responsive to me ever since, and I think that the man needs a chance to have his hand on the helm (if elected) before he gets shot down.

In my experience, the promotion of insiders to leadership positions in organizations doesn't always mean more of the same. In fact, often times they are the most effective leaders of change because they are well schooled in the hurdles to be cleared and the best ways to accomplish specific goals.

Don't sell him short - This is a guy who has done much for the sport and I think has a finger on the pulse of the Multi-mono challenge that he will face in his new role.

Can anyone direct me to the anti- multi statements that he's made (as suggested in a prior post)? I'd surely like to know the context/read the statements. I also think that the backlash from the Olympic decision has changed the landscape he'll be operating in a bit.

If he does get the job and doesn't cause change, then I'll be sorely dissapointed. However, if under his leadership multis are treated more appropriately (as I expect they will be), then he'll have a great supporter in me.

C
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 01:08 PM

Hey C,
To be honest ,I'm not willing to put myself through listening to a bunch of archived Jobson material to find the quotes I heard,that I was referring to.I also believe that sometimes what you don't say means as much as what you do and his lack of multi coverage in the past doesn't shine well. Good on you for getting him to cover you at KWRW. People change ,I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt, and even if I didn't what difference does it make he'll be there either way. Just like a politician.So I'll just hope I'm wrong and hope for the best.
Todd

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 01:46 PM

Todd, I resemble that remark. Before I saw the light, I raced only on monohull dinghys and leaners. I too poo-poo'd the multihulls as useless for anything but fast reaching, usually followed by swimming. I held this opinion because the only multihull I had ever really seen up close was a Hobie 16, usually on it's side trying to be righted. This was back in the 1970's-1980's. It was not until Craig Hackett took me out on his Hobie 20 that I got religion.

Maybe since his earlier remarks, Gary has had a chance to experience the new breed of cats, tri's, Volvo X40's, etc. and has seen the future as well. I hope he shows up and sails with JW on the Capricorn. Multihulls have seen quite a few changes since the 1970's, all for the better, why don't we give him a chance before we toss him on that large pile of useless US Sailing leaders.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 01:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that this is Jobson,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunMkB_BGzg

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 02:44 PM

That sure sounded like his voice, and he sounded excited about the I20's speed. Click on the other clip "Rolex 07" where they are leaving the 50 footer behind! Nice.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 02:47 PM

This just in fron the SA website.

Jobson Bows Out
Citing "an undercurrent of incredible negativity, most of it generated online" Gary Jobson has withdrawn his name for consideration for President of US Sailing. "I am deeply humbled and thankful for the opportunity to lead a sport that I have dedicated my life to," Jobson stated "'but there has been a campaign generated against me that has made me realize that the sport would be better served with a less polarizing figure at the helm."

"Incredible negativity, most of it online?" He isn't talking about us, is he??? Hahahahahaha!!

Oh and as hard as this is to believe, we hear Tom Leweck is being considered as a potential nominee to replace Jobson. Since Leweck handed over S'kiss to his slack jawed offspring, does that mean that when he's done, he'll hand over his Presidency to him too? i think i speak for the majority when I say I hope so.

04/01/09

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 03:27 PM

*SHAKES FIST IN AIR*

STOP ALREADY.

Its not funny anymore! Its old and played out! Has been for the last 20 years!

Click on the other clip "Rolex 07" where they are leaving the 50 footer behind! Nice.

DAmn I'd never seen that one! Trey will be psyched!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
*SHAKES FIST IN AIR*

STOP ALREADY.

Its not funny anymore! Its old and played out! Has been for the last 20 years!

Click on the other clip "Rolex 07" where they are leaving the 50 footer behind! Nice.

DAmn I'd never seen that one! Trey will be psyched!

Does he know?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 05:12 PM

He will when I tell him about it.

Posted By: Robi

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 07:31 PM

He already knows about it, he pointed it out to me when it was first posted and it has been on my website ever since.

shameless plug
www.wildergfx.com - the name are on the mainsail. LOL

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Robi
He already knows about it, he pointed it out to me when it was first posted and it has been on my website ever since.

shameless plug

I was talking about April Fool's day.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 10:01 PM

And from Scuttlebut APRIL 1.
"The Cup resolution is not the first accomplishment in Jobson’s unprecedented clean up of sailing’s ills. Jobson has also been credited with the decision to reinstate multihulls into the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Working with the International Multihull Council and the ISAF Event Committee, Jobson took the extraordinary step of adhering to the recommendations of a committee. There has been no confirmation that Jobson has been contacted by Major League Baseball to take on the job of Commissioner, following the ouster of Bud Selig on tax evasion charges."

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/01/09 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Robi

shameless plug

I was talking about April Fool's day.
OK!!??!?!?! My reply was for Tad. But right on Jake. LOL grin

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 02:34 PM

We have winter olympics and summer olympics. Has anyone considered a sailing olympics?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 03:10 PM

WHY?

The point of the Olympics is to get the rest of the world to watch you and your sport by wrapping it in nationalistic fervor.

Why dilute that marketing? ... It's the reason everyone is upset that the Olympics have no multihull class.

Besides... We already have this event... It's called the ISAF World Games.... (hmmm... maybe it's not working if you don't know of it)

Besides each class has a world championship and those that care... pay attention to the results.

Try this quiz

Who won the last Tornado World Championship?
Who won the last Olympics in the Tornado?

Probably had a better chance at getting the Olympic winner then the World Champ.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 03:47 PM

"WHY?" The current arrangement doesn't seem to be working.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 04:22 PM

Well... you make a good point.

Why do you see in a Sailing Olympics that is a killer hook to grab peoples attention.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 04:42 PM

I'm speaking to Americans only here but who cares if Sailing, any sailing, Mono's or Cats, is even in the Olympics anyway?

Nobody (except us) understands it and TV networks don't want to spend the time and MONEY to cover it. It's much easier for them to put up a couple cameras on tripods and cover endless hours of Beach Vollyball.

Most Olympic sports were brought into the Olympics because they were already popular outside of the Olympics, not the other way 'round. Being in the Olympics didn't make the sport popular, it was already popular then brought in.

We need to focus on why this sport is not popular, or at least not as popular as we think it should be, and remove the obsticles so new people can enter the sport.

Here's my short list of obsticles, feel free to add:

1. Location (access to a suitable sailing site)
2. Education (access to lessons)
3. Equipment (access to boats)

Address those things and you can start to lure in new sailors.

I watched most of Mike Phelps swimming events, yet I don't swim competitively and never will.

I watched the Beach Vollyball, and never have played and never want to.

Being in the Olympics and being seen on TV won't bring more people into sailing but bringing more people into sailing might someday get it on TV.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 04:52 PM

Killer hook? Nothing, but we've never been a mainstream sport and probably never will be. I suspect our main source of spectators (and advertising revenue) is probably the internet. In the last Olympics, the video reporting of sailing, what there was of it, was quite good.

One of our main strengths is that we don't need to build special venues or combine our entire fields. Whereas track and field wants their competitors in one stadium in the same time span, we could hold the dingy events in Australia and the multihulls in Europe.

I suspect further, that we are a pita to the IOC. They might be willing to pimp us out to a large corporation i.e. GE. This "sponsor" could then sprinkle the events out over the entire globe and include every class desiring to participate. Instead of eleven medals there could be a thousand, if IOC thought it appropriate.

If we start thinking of ourselves, organizationally, not as a sport, but as a commodity to be marketed we'll be a lot better off.

Just a thought.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 04:57 PM

Does anyone know if sailing in the US saw a spike after the movie "Wind" was released? Are there likewise spikes after any of the major AC coverage?

If so, you could potentially make the general statement that media coverage helps (with the general public).

What to do with it from there is another issue entirely, but Louis Vuitton seems to think their money is well spent.

Mike

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/09/09 05:06 PM

". . .Louis Vuitton seems to think their money is well spent."

So how do we capitalize on this phenomenon? I'm thinking that competing with track and field won't do it.
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 07:03 AM

I think we need to get more people sailing in the first place. Once you have sailed you get a better understanding, and more appreciation for what is going on on the course. Personally I think watching track and field and swimming are quite boring! But then, I think watching any sport is boring compared to actually getting out there!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMe
I think we need to get more people sailing in the first place. Once you have sailed you get a better understanding, and more appreciation for what is going on on the course.

No doubt true! But the question is How to do this, Who Pays for it and in this thread... What is the role of the President of your national sailing organization.

If he visited each club and asked each the members to offer free boats and sailing lessons to non sailors... Is that a good plan? Hell... is that supposed to be his job as president?

Posted By: AUS

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 02:55 PM

Look out not within. Sailing is in the Olympics because out side of the US it does fit the public interest criteria. While not the most popular sport (by far) it is a lot more accepted, watched and covered outside of the US. High profile Sailors in France are treated like rock stars! Believe it or not, until the current world recession, sailing saw growth as a sport on many different levels in nearly every continent except the US. A few Olympic cycles ago I believe sailing was in jeopardy of loosing its Olympic berth but with some good lobbying from ISAF and growth participation in Asia and other no traditional competitive sailing continents it is now a lot more stable. While there is a lot of other sailing away from the Olympics, the Olympics does give good a good measure on how we rate as a sport in genera terms. In fact the Summer Olympics in general is far more popular outside of the US, so may be difficult for Americans to really draw a comparison.

What the US should be doing is have the governing body of the sport take a look at the successful programs outside of the US. The RYA etc and build business models marketing, financial and performance base similar to what has worked with these governing bodies. Going back a decade or two Yachting Australia was a small organization similar to what US sailing is now. Now they are a large professional organization, the professional level and approach from YA have allowed them to attract / demand large corporate backing and together add a lot to the sailing community at all levels.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 02:58 PM

"... is that supposed to be his job as president?"

Hopefully, listening to the membership will be part of his job.

I would ask him to do two things:

1. Take an active interest in the portsmouth ratings, particularly in reference to the Multihull council's ad hoc committee.

2. Promote a discussion on the Olympics. Under the current system we get only the fringe of a very bright spot light which is focused on the more popular sports i.e. track and field. Perhaps we would be better off in our own spotlight. Even if it is smaller and less bright.

I guess my vision of Olympic sailing would be away from the main venue and in off years from the Summer Olympics.

Hell, if people watch lumberjacks throw axes, we should be able to get them to watch Cats and 49ers.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 03:33 PM

But Pete, why do we care if people watch, unless it will definately lead to more people buying boats and getting into sailing.

I sometimes watch the lumberjacks, but I'm never going to buy an axe and start throwing it. So as I was trying to point out above, TV viewership doesn't always lead to increased participation.

In the US we are coming into a "new World" with Obama as president pushing for "Green" everything. I can think of no other watersport so green as Sailing, except maybe kayaking, and we have seen Hobie has put the two together with their Adventure sailing tri-kayak. I think NOW would be a really good time to jump on the Green advertising bandwagon in every outdoor and sporting magazine, show sailboats (dinghys and beach cats) as the Green alternative to the Jet Ski.

I think sailing is more popular in many other countries because gasoline is so much more expensive, especially England, an Island nation with a strong sailing history, they pay a 100% tax on every liter of gasoline! No wonder they all sail!

But I think the role of the US Sailing President should be to promote the sport of Sailing, not just Olympic Sailing. Open any magazine and you are going to see an add for Golf. In a Money Magazine, a Fishing magazine, a Women's Health magazine, etc. Golf does a realy good job of pushing their sport into your mind no matter what you are reading. But Sailboat companies and US Sailing only seem to advertise in Sailing Magazines! WHY? They are preaching to the choir. They need to hire the Golf Advertising guys to show them how to get it done!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/10/09 04:03 PM

"But Pete, why do we care if people watch, unless it will definately lead to more people buying boats and getting into sailing. "

To attract advertising and sponsorship and because awareness precedes action.

Since USSailing is the ony game in town and they have declared an interest in Olympic sailing, we might as well make the best of it. One of the bigges points of contention is the 11th medal. If sailing was organized more like boxing, how many medals would there be?

Tim, I think the biggest difference in our appoaches is money. Advertising = money going out.
Sailing Olympics = sponsorship opportunity = money coming in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYA8EGzIKw
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 01:20 AM

30 years ago Jimmy Deans had a set of Hawaiian Tropic sails on his Hobie 16. (He looked like Jimmy Buffet at the time). He was protested & thrown out of every Daytona Beach regatta because of these sails.
Not a lot of money in it then, eh? Meantime the Hawaian Tropic guy became a multimillionaire- and still is.

Those nifty Heiniken sails tooken me waaaay back-
Ahhh the bikinis!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 03:40 AM

Sailing Olympics = sponsorship opportunity = money coming in.

Pete, I agree with the sponsorship but both sponsorship and advertising are -not allowed- on any boat or sails in the Olympics, which only happen 2 weeks, every 4 years anyway.

I'd much rather see a full on sponsorship allowed series like they used to do on the Pro Circut years ago, with the H21, then the 25 footers and now the VX40's. They are huge in Europe, nothing like that here in the US of A.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 12:33 PM

Sponsorship of the Olympics itself is allowed. Think about cats in Sydney harbor at a time when there are no major competitiors like the Superbowl or the Summer Olympics themselves.

Sailing is not a major draw to the t.v. watching public. We should be competing with ax throwing and the like.

In any case, the dog we have doesn't hunt. I hope Jobson will find one that does.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 01:14 PM

You know what amazes me is this; in every other country I've ever laid over, I can watch a program called Mainsail on CNN! It's a 30 minute show, a recap of what ever big sailboat racing event is going on that week. A new program is produced every week!

The ONLY place I've never seen that show? Right here. And most of the adds are from Rolex watches. Do they not want to sell them here in the US? Why does CNN -not- show this program here, not even on a slow Saturday morning? I think I'll write to CNN and Gary Jobson, see if we can get it on TV here.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 01:35 PM

I think you'll have better luck pulling it off their website.

http://edition.cnn.com/CNNI/Programs/main.sail/

In your letter, you might mention that some of your friends (me) watch tv less and less because my cable dollar is just buying more commercials! cry

CNN is my home page and I'd never heard of Mainsail before! Thanks much!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 03:04 PM

About the show
CNN's monthly sailing show "MainSail" explores one of the world's most exhilarating, glamorous and toughest sports. "MainSail" brings viewers the latest from the biggest sailing events, plus technology and business aspects of the sport.

The show also showcases human endeavours accomplished by some of the world's greatest sailors and keeps viewers up to date with the latest news concerning the major races and regattas around the world.

MARCH SHOW TIMES

"MainSail" on CNN International:
• Thursday 19 March: 1400, 1830
• Saturday 21 March: 0800, 1730
• Sunday 22 March: 0400, 0830, 1600
(all times GMT)
I guess it's not weekly, only monthly, still better than anything we see on TV here in the US! I've got to wonder why.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 04:07 PM

Hey all, I just used Pete's CNN Main Sail link above to send a quick letter to the "Story Idea" people, available under the "Contact Us" link on their site at the top. If enough of us USA Sailors contact them, maybe we can get Main Sail on TV right here in the USA! What a concept! Here's the canned email reply I got. If one of you who frequent SA could please post the Main Sail link to their board, and ask them to email CNN and reques Main Sail in the USA, that would help. Oh, and here is the link to Gary Jobson's own site, I think we should bombard him with requests for more Sailing on TV here as well. Thanks in advance.

http://www.jobsonsailing.com/

Thank you for this submission. The Viewer Communications Management team reviews and summarizes story ideas, and distributes them to appropriate news divisions for consideration. If it is decided the story is something of interest that can be developed for on-air reporting, you may be contacted for more information.

Because of the volume of story suggestions we receive, we are unable to reply with information on whether or not it will be used.

Thank you again for sending it our way.

CNN Viewer Communications Management

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 05:33 PM

The USSA pres job is impossible.

The SA pitchfork crowd wants (any director's) head because they believe USSA is too Olympic focused. They want more focus on the rank and file sailing phrf, OD and dinghy's (mind you the budgets are separate but the BS is pushed that they are lying to us).

the Catamaran crowd wants his (any director's) head because they did not prevent the ISAF from pitching the Tornado and not the Finn and more focus on marketing of the pros and thinking that will grow the sport. (Mind you the Olympic half of USSA says that the Multihull sailors give the least amount of money to the Olympic program, corporate or private ---no difference)

So... when you say "it's not working" consider that the bus has about 50 drivers... progress in any direction will be slow!

I think Brenner is a SOB but he has the right idea for the Olympic program USA. He has focused the effort. In a olympic class he will have a two teams/ not 5, plus a development team plus a junior team. To be on the team, will cost you a lot of your money and to train and race in the EU. The individual team will always be at odds with the devil they know, USSA, because any money they raise will be taxed by USSA Olympic and that will burn. But it's the price of the ticket to play.

I agree with the SA crowd and don't want to pay a USSA tax to support this effort. USSA Olympic agrees and raises corporate money for this effort.. and I believe that is true.

Brenner is also trying to get the elite YC's to raise their game and set the bar higher so that US juniors have some training centers where they can step up their game before trying to compete world wide. Personally, I think this new area is the level that I think my dues should support. I think some USSA dues money would be great to seed these programs and partner with the YC's to move the ball.

I agree that USSA has neglected the PHRF world but on the other hand the PHRF world doesn't seem to want any changes. The regional rating scheme seems crazy to me but you don't tow your olsen 911 to new england for a PHRF weekend race.
I also know that the bottom half of phrf is slowly dying. I have no clue what leadership at the top should do in this area. Maybe... it's just keep the taxes low and don't bother us.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 07:37 PM

Mark. Try to focus. You're all over the board. One task at a time.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 08:27 PM

just saying... baxter, capron, jobson... All of them mean well and they get crushed by us for not "doing what we want".

It's an impossible job!

I don't think the olympics / pro stuff/ PR and exposure stuff is that important to growing the sport... I think USSA has it about right now. I also don't think USSA should be running sailing schools and boat rental operations. So we don't agree on what the new pres should do either. Right off the bat... one of us will declare Jobson a failure!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 10:24 PM

--I also don't think USSA should be running sailing schools and boat rental operations.--

So how do you propose to get any new people in, to grow the sport? Yacht Clubs are too expensive and exclusive, and not accessable to most people. I personally wouldn't join any Yacht Club that would have me as a member.

(except Gulport YC, because they are full of guys like me!)

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/11/09 11:50 PM

You say,
Yacht Clubs are too expensive

Yacht clubs charge what the members decide they need to charge to pay for the place. (One just folded in New england). They come in all sizes and flavors and prices and focus on different niches of the sport. Join one and you can have a say in the fees after you see the budget. But in the end sailing is a recreational hobby... it will cost you disposable income and it's not cheap. A club costs you a bit more so that you can do more things with your sailing toy.

and exclusive,
Really... what club have you tried to join that excluded you?

and not accessable to most people. I personally wouldn't join any Yacht Club that would have me as a member.(except Gulport YC, because they are full of guys like me!)

Accessible is the key notion.
The non sailor who says... I want to learn to sail can take a sailing course from a private business. These guys usually have a way to keep sailing by joining a race fleet of the company boats etc. They can also charter boats to sail as well. They are accessible (open to public) and generally centrally located so the public can get to them.

You would have to convince me that marketplace for sailing training was under served and even more than that ONLY USSA could put together a business model to meet the need and make a buck. I think the industry trade groups and boat builders need to take on getting people into sailing. USSA should support the racers and their specific needs.

As a national organization ... If US Sailing tried to run operations like this, us as members, would be pouring cash into a hole forever. AND it would not convert a high percentage of these people into racers which is what the core mission of USSA is about.

What do you see that I don't?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 01:04 AM

Yacht Clubs are too expensive and exclusive, and not accessable to most people. I personally wouldn't join any Yacht Club that would have me as a member.
I disagree. The Lahaina YC requests that your membership letter not be written on a bar napkin. It's the sailors and stink potters that keep the club going. The rest mostly are there for the food and drink.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 01:14 AM

Mark, here's a quote from the US Sailing Site, describing their funcions:

At the October 1991 Annual Meeting, USYRU voted to change its name to the United States Sailing Association, Inc. and to do business as US SAILING. The new name more adequately described the broader activity of the organization and clarified the administration's intention to fulfill every aspect of the responsibilities of a National Governing Body under the auspices of the Amateur Sports Act.

In recent years, US SAILING has created and maintained the definitive national standards for sailing instruction and continues to develop highly successful training programs for young and adult sailors. The organization has embraced and supported the rapidly expanding public access programs known as Community Sailing, continues to create high-quality instructional and reference materials for race officials, and field successful Olympic and Pan American Games teams.

Mark, it's no longer called the -US Yacht Racing Union- for a reason. That reason is, even they figured out that if you don't first concentrate on teaching people to sail, you won't have too many sailboat racers.

As far as exclusivity, why don't you go and try to join the Corinthian YC in Marblehead, MA, and let me know how many -years- and how many -thousands- of dollars that will cost you, and the Coral Reef YC in Miami, or the St. Francis YC in SFO. Even the pissy little club I used to belong to in MA many years ago had an "Application fee" of over $200, 20 years ago, and then, IF you were allowed to join, a $400/yr. membership fee as well as racing fees, instrucional fees, boat storage fees, etc, etc, etc.

If you wanted your kid to take Opti lessons, that cost another $120, and again, this was 20 years ago. I'm sure prices have not come down since then.

If I had to go through all of that to start sailing, I never would have started sailing. I'd be riding a Jet Ski, like millions of others. If you want more racers, you first have to get more sailors, some of them will want to learn to race, just like we all did.

Everyone still reading this, raise your hand if you learned to sail at a Yacht Club.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 01:21 AM

Hobie1616, that's one club, but we need 1,000 clubs like it. With no application fees.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 01:51 AM

Hobie1616, that's one club, but we need 1,000 clubs like it. With no application fees.
No app fee would be nice but the reality is YCs are a business. If you peal back the the cheap drink and food prices you'll find they're offset by the membership fees and costs.

Add in expenses like club boat(s) maintenance, regattas that charge a $5 entry fee and a land lease we just had to shell out $150.000 for, and it suddenly becomes a very thin margin business.

Compared to the YCs on Oahu we're a bunch of hicks. Compare them to clubs like the St. Francis or San Diego and now were talkin' a lot of large whip out.

Personally, I still like the Hobie fleet concept. Cheap, motivated people and lotsa fun.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 02:13 AM

Exactly my point. None of all that extra crap at the YC will get more people into sailing. It has to be cheap and readily available if we are to get more people into sailboats. If after learning on something small and cheap, they want to go the full monty on a big club, fine, but I doubt if too many non-sailors join the St. Francis looking for sailing lessons.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 03:36 AM

I read the history differently.

USYRU was required to add the admin functions to comply with the Amateur Sports Act. It's ironic really... The "I haven't seen a gift I did not take from a good ol boy aka Senator Ted Stevens" wrote a law that was put into place to stop a lot of the BS and gifting in team selection etc etc. It attempted to take the good ol boy network out of sport and settle it on the playing field. USYRU took the new name and responsibility to comply. It's just taken 25 years to get in full compliance.

Then you had mission creep. Yes, they wrote the standards for training certification, developed training programs etc etc. They did not say we want to open sailing schools nor do they plan to. Moreover, they bigfooted a competing certification program out of existence... The Red Cross was a small certification program and it used to certify sailing teachers in my area ... oops my certificate is not valid anymore in the US Sailing era. My point is that the mission creep was a bit of a land grab... not a move to fill a vital service. Still, I am OK with the nationalizing of training of instructors, RC and judges mission. I just want them to re focus on service to the rank and file racing sailor who pays their dues. Since none of my dues goes to Olympic... Just don't screw it up or misrepresent the 6 ring mess to us. I certainly don't want any more focus on learn to sail...

The builders and marine industry need to promote the pastime of sailing... not US Sailing.

Yacht clubs, Hobie fleets, Catamaran clubs are the front lines of converting a pleasure sailor into a racer.

Back in the day... did your hobie fleet have learn to sail programs.... I don't remember hearing of any. The Hobie 101 program is a fairly new program pioneered in the North West.

I don't disagree that we need more sailors before you get more racing sailors... It's an issue of should my dues pay for it.... No! I want Jobson to focus on improving the game for the rank and file racing sailor. Just put the Olympic side show in a box and set it aside.

Posted By: Mary

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:11 AM

Everyone still reading this, raise your hand if you learned to sail at a Yacht Club.

I learned to sail at a yacht club, but it was my father who taught me. Back in the 1940's and early '50's I don't think there were such things as sailing centers. Our club didn't even start a junior program until 1957 or '58. During the last 50 years sailing has come a very long way as far as public awareness, accessibility, and training programs.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 03:08 PM

>>Just put the Olympic side show in a box and set it aside.<<

I'm with you 100% on that Mark. I also agree that the individual boat manufacturers should do more to bring in new people off the street, vs. trying to swap one boat for another.

We differ in what we want US Sailing to do for the members.

I think they already do a very good job of supporting racing sailors with all their RC schools, Judges schools, etc. I have no idea what all the PHRF bitching is about as I left that world back in about 1983 when I bought a J24 and started racing one-design, but maybe that should be addressed as well.

I think part of US Sailing should be to come up with a way to expose new people to sailing. People who live near the water but have never been out on a sailboat. People who might want to learn but can't afford to join a traditional YC, or have busy schedules that don't allow a daily sailing class for a week or two straight. Right now the only way a person can learn without joining a YC is to join a Community Sailing Center, which are a great way, no doubt, but I would like to see more of them around the country.

We bitch about low turnouts at regattas, well, how do we bring in more people? "Go join a YC" is not the answer in my opinion. The RYA has centers all over England where any person can walk up and rent a Laser Pico, or Windsurfer, for about $30, and they have instructors on site, ready to go.

Something like this is what I am talking about doing here. These are not huge, big money operations, just a few boats and a storage shed with a couple instructors (teenagers, summer job type stuff) there to get the newbies started.

Maybe US Sailing should have nothing to do with it, but certainly there should be some national teaching and lesson standards, so a newbie could go to any of these sites and say, "Here's my card, as you can see, I have completed lessons 1-4, I would now like to lean spinnaker work in lesson 5." Put him/her in a boat, and off you go. I really think some sailing centers make it too hard for any new people to get in. Unless you join THEIR center, they won't talk to you. This is where US Sailing could set some guidelines.

22 years ago I got a flight attendant into sailing at the Boston Community Sailing Center. We just walked in, talked to the guy behind the counter for a while, explained that she lived in Boston and was looking to learn to sail. He said, "Well, we offer lessons on Tuesday and Thursday nights, can you come back then?" I said no, we will be gone by then. He said, "Well I don't have any istructors available right now." I said, "I know how to sail, and I can take her out if you will rent me a boat." He gave me a short written test to take, asked me some boat handling type questions and then rented us a boat. We had a great time and she did come back and join for the whole summer program. But if he had not rented us the boat, I doubt if she ever would have come back.

But that's Boston, a big time sailing oriented area with a really good community sailing center. If we had 1,000 more just like that we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 03:36 PM

If we had 1,000 more just like that we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No doubt!

Underlying a 1000 community sailing centers is the assumption that American's have some demand for this green water access/recreation.

I haven't seen any evidence for this.

In fact, Hobie Company get's more interest in their Kayak, pedal sail canoe/boat ... almost as much interest as the 16 back in the day. So that is where the market demand is going...

Unfortunately, this activity is even farther from racing then cruising sailboats.

It seems to me... the path forward is to make sure US Sailing does an excellent job of supporting racing. Trying to push demand for sailing is like pushing on a string... ineffective and frustrating.

Basically we differ in our view of the way forward.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 03:57 PM

...but I doubt if too many non-sailors join the St. Francis looking for sailing lessons.
They don't. Most join to be able to flash the membership card and hang with the other society types.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:06 PM

J-World and the Colgate School seem to be doing well. So there is a demand for lessons on big boats.

If you are talking about small boats, there are MANY places that have teaching programs, but nobody knows about them. They are not ADVERTISED properly.

When I google "sailing lessons," I get 378,000 responses.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:21 PM

They are not ADVERTISED properly.

Mary, Exactly, that is what I was trying to point out in an earlier post, the one about National Geo. Adventure Magazine. Not a single "Learn to sail" ad in the whole issue except one tiny Colgate ad way in the back. I would think both US Sailing and Hobie Cat would be running a joint, full page ad in every outdoor type magazine you could find, from Hiking to Biking to Nat. Geo Adventure.

And Mark, I think Hobie is selling a lot more kayaks because;

1. they are much cheaper than a Hobie Getaway, Wave or H16

2. there is zero learning curve.

3. you can launch it just about anywhere and no trailer is required.

I think if Sailing could reduce these obsticles by setting up sites where a cheap lesson could be had on a cheap sailboat, with minimal time and expense, a lot more people would try it.

I am reminded of that old saying, "There are only two things we need more of, Time and Money."

So take away the Time/Money obsticles, make sailing cheap and quick to learn, you will get more people started. Get more people started, you get more people racing. More people racing means more US Sailing membership. More US Sailing racers means a better Olympic team, not that I care about the Olypmics, because just like the America's Cup, I think it's a huge waste of time and money, but at least it's not -my- time or -my- money.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:30 PM

I think one of the best places for sailing articles and advertising is the airline magazines.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:32 PM

I tried to get our Marketing guy at Delta to take a look at that, he said they spend all their money on Golf, because, "Everybody Golfs". Ugh...
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 04:38 PM

Not me. Used to say "...great way to ruin a walk." But, now you have to use a cart at most courses or you slow up the game for others by walking.

Haven't touched a club in 30 years and have no plans to do so.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 05:29 PM

" Golf, A good Walk Spoiled" I agree Rick. Even Tiger might agree after this weekend!

Hey, Chip and Barb Short have a Wave rental down there at Founder's Park, do they still read this board? I would like to hear what they have to say about getting new people to learn to sail.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 06:56 PM

I tried to get our Marketing guy at Delta to take a look at that, he said they spend all their money on Golf, because, "Everybody Golfs". Ugh...
Cycling is the new golf.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/fashion/09Fitness.html

http://www.goclipless.com/2006/11/new_golf.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/fashion/sundaystyles/04SILICON.html

Sailing is the new...

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 07:51 PM

We used to have an A.S.A.-certified sailing school when we were at Rick's Place, but almost all of the people who came to it were people who had always had a dream of getting a big boat and going cruising. When they finally had enough money to buy a boat, they decided they had better learn how to sail it first.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 07:55 PM

If traditional bicycle shops are to SBR, Altheus and JackRabbit as coach is to first class, then Signature Cycles is a Gulfstream jet. “Very, very boutique,” David Jordan, a cycling coach and former professional racer, said of Signature Cycles. He said that Paul Levine, Signature’s owner, will “offer you a glass of Courvoisier while you discuss your cycling habits.”

At Signature Cycles’ Manhattan store (there is also a branch in Central Valley, N.Y.), there is a massage table for range-of-motion analysis. There is an espresso machine. There is, at the bar, Penfolds Shiraz and Maker’s Mark. Courvoisier, too. There is a shower, because the fitting can be strenuous, and, as Grant Salter, an employee, said, “Our clients are Wall Street guys, and they don’t want to go back to the office after a visit here and close a $5 million deal all sweaty and smelly.”

Wow. I guess I should open a Sailing Boutique in Manhattan, sell custom carbon A cats to the Wall street boys for $30K!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 08:51 PM

You'll have to have a cat in a pool (and big fan for wind) so they can get the experience of flying a hull and trapezing and getting sprayed with saltwater. Actually, it's a great idea!

Sort of like sports stores that have an indoor moving carpeted slope to practice snow-skiing.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 08:57 PM

Mary, have you seen those big pools they set up at Boat Shows, with a row of fans at one end, and then they race those little one-man boats? I would do something like that but use Hobie Waves.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/12/09 10:17 PM

Rick raced in a pool regatta many years ago in the Tampa Bay area. Guess they didn't catch on, spectatorwise.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 03:55 AM

Mark,

You really need to stop making blanket statements and proclaiming them as "facts."

There ARE Hobie fleets running learn-to-sail events. Non-Hobie fleets too.

There ARE learn-to-sail opportunities at community sailing centers, and lots of them are not only advertising, they are extremely successful to the point that they have to run lotteries for some of the youth programs.

Is it a perfect world? No, but it's not as bad as you think.

Mike
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 12:36 PM

Heard Fleet 23/Mariner's had forty "sailors" show up for the first session on April 6th of Learn to Sail

I'll agree with Mark in that, it takes a boat builder (or dealer in this case) with an advertising campaign.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 02:03 PM

Mike

Do you bother to read and comprehend the thread or do you just see that I mention the name Hobie and then take my comments out of context.....
I wrote

The builders and marine industry need to promote the pastime of sailing... not US Sailing.

Yacht clubs, Hobie fleets, Catamaran clubs are the front lines of converting a pleasure sailor into a racer.

Back in the day... did your hobie fleet have learn to sail programs.... I don't remember hearing of any. The Hobie 101 program is a fairly new program pioneered in the North West.

Timbo wants Gary Jobson to have USSA build and run sailing centers like the RYA to teach sailing. He is making the case that lots of cheap access to boats and training is important to growing the sport of sailboat racing.

I argued the demand for basic sailing instruction is being met by Yacht clubs, sailing businesses and community sailing programs. etc etc. USSA, the SPORTS organizing authority should not expand on this stuff at all. I don't want my dues to subsidize learn to sail programs.

So... to persuade him... I noted that BACK IN THE DAY.... as in the hey day of beach cat sailing... I never heard of a hobie fleet running "learn to sail programs".... perhaps sail a hobie program... but not the kind of program that teaches sailing basics to complete novices. The Hobie fleet was a racing and social organization... not a sail training organization.

If I missed that history...sorry...I would be interested in why they stopped

You might read further .... I THEN wrote...
The Hobie 101 program is a fairly new program pioneered in the North West
In my view... that is me acknowledging that YES Hobie fleets are NOW into teaching sailing on a yearly basis.

In hindsight... it was not particularly useful in persuading Timbo or fair to compare a national racing organization like USSA to clubs which have very different missions. While there is some solid basis to compare... the differences are also large.

Hey... maybe you want to join with Timbo and argue that the NAHCA should take some of their dues and fund adult learn to sail programs around the country, a much better parallel.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 02:07 PM

Hey... maybe you want to join with Timbo and argue that the NAHCA should take some of their dues and fund adult learn to sail programs around the country.

Hey, now that you mention it, that sounds like a great idea!

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 02:08 PM

GYC is in the process of starting a summer sailing program aimed at younger sailors.

I'll keep you posted.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 02:14 PM

Pete, great idea, but will people first have to join the club to get into the learn to sail program? I think they need to learn to sail first, then join the club after they are "addicted". It's called Heroin maketing. Give them the first fix or two free, then once they are hooked, you get them to join.

Years ago I bought a JY15 to race with my twin daughters when they were only 6yrs. old because the then owner of JY boats, Dave Eck, had a great program where you could "borrow" a JY15 -FREE- for a few races. He had several older boats available for loaners for new people to sail at regattas and club races. After I raced one of the loaners a few times, I bought a brand new one.

See Mark, it works! If you expect a newbie to shell out the bucks necessary to first join a YC, then again for lessons, then again for a boat, well, how's that plan been working out so far? Nobody is going to spend that kind of money until AFTER they learn how to sail and see something they like in joining the Club, or Hobie Fleet, or what have you.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 02:16 PM

No details as yet. I'll keep you posted.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 03:03 PM

Timbo... I agree with you... that you have to get people hooked on sailing first... then racing, etc etc etc.

But
A small buisness, Standard YC with facilities, Community sailing center, paper yacht club are places that do this now.
Make the case that there is more demand then supply for this service and so more needs to be done.

(Then show me how you convert recreational sailors to racing sailors... that is what these programs try to do after they teach sailing)

To the point of the argument... Make the case that the NATIONAL organization (USSA, NAHCA A Class should do this at the local level! (Do they have the skills and the boots on the ground?)

Then make the case that every sailboat racer in the class or members of the National sailing organization should pay for this program and subsidize it.

I can't see how you make the case.

Telling me that you have to be introduced to sailing and be able to get on the water is essential and while very true is simply not the answer to any of those questions.
Posted By: HMurphey

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 03:09 PM

That's good to hear that Gulfport Yacht Club is starting a Youth Summer Sailing Program.

Earlier in this thread I stated that in the end I believe it will ultimately come down to us, the rank and file sailors that will need to do the hard work to rebuild the interest in sailing and racing sailboats.

And there are many ways to accomplish this mission ....

Last winter I offered to make "Homemade Meatballs and Tomato Gravy" for a Jr Sailing Fundraiser Dinner. The Jr Sailors from the sailing school came and served the meal including bussing the tables. RHYC's club manager and the chef for the club also got involved, both of them volunteering their own personal time to come and help w/ the dinner. The event was a HUGE success with a large turn-out of club members, standing room only in fact. We served 106 plates which is the largest number of dinners served at RHYC (at a non-regatta event) in recent memory. We raised over $800.00 for the Jr Sailing Program .... the kids had a great time and felt that they worked and helped w/ the success .... the clubmembers had a great bonding experience w/ the Jr's and other members. It worked to a level beyond my wildest expectations. ( I thought it would be great to serve 25-30 dinners and raise $100-200.00 ....)

Also last year RHYC had a "Ladies Only: Learn to Sail Day". RHYC-Sailing School has (6) 420's which were rigged up and teams of (3) women were give a boat and raced around a short course w/ the instructors from the sailing school following along in 14' Boston Whalers giving advice. The Ladies are still talking about that day and there is a another "Ladies Day" scheduled this year (there maybe more then one actually).

RHYC also has 3-4 Sunfishes that have been donated to the club .... now the sailing school doesn't use them (they are using Opti's, Laser Radials, and 420's), so we are going to refurbish the Sunfishes and make them availible to any club member to use FREE, so they or their children can learn to sail.

My point here is that it is the rank and file club members that are volunteering their time and sweat ... along w/ some dollars that are making this happen. NOT some national organization .... What helped make "America" great was the fact that everyone would pitch in and help ..... have you pitched in an helped ???? Volunteered a day (or two) to teach someone to sail ... helped you local JR Program by volunteering to be on RC ..... or fix up a donated boat .... etc, etc

Talk is talk ... we must each personaly "ACT". And each small individual action can and will add up ....

Harry

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 03:20 PM

Mark, I believe Sailing is an activity that is, "out of sight, out of mind". But when the passerby sees a sailboat (cats in this case) rigging up on the beach, they stop by and ask all kinds of questions. "Is it hard, How much does it cost, WHERE CAN I LEARN?"

I can always answer the first two questions but rarely the third. And I live in Florida, where the weather allows sailing year round, and the endless beaches and many bays offer plenty of potential sites to set up "Lern to Sail" type locations. But unless I personally take them out, (which most of us have done many times) I really don't know where to send them to learn.

"Go find a yacht club, join it, and get into their learn to sail program..." is kind of an off-putting answer, I think. It would be nice if, like in England and elsewhere, you could point to a group of boats sitting on the beach, "Right Over There" and let them get started right away, now, today, while he is standing there in his swimsuit looking to go sailing. Come back later never works out.

OK, so how does that happen? Well perhaps for starters, we get a National Sailing Organization (Like USSA) to go to Congress and gather support for funding a National Learn to Sail Program. Just say "It's a New Green Industry that will create new Green jobs that cannot be outsouced!" to get the support you need. I would think Hobie would be on board as well.

Then you get US Sailing to provide the curriculum, they already have one, and train the instructors, like they already do, and you get Stimulus Money to pay for it all.

I'd much rather have my tax dollars supporting something like this than Pig Manure Research.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 07:08 PM

Mark,

You're writing so much and are so all over the place, it's almost impossible to figure out what you're actually trying to say. That gets compounded when your facts are wrong.

Hobie fleets hosting learn-to-sail events is NOT a new concept. In fact, there are fewer of them now than there were 10 years ago.

The fleets in this country that have retained any sort of large numbers are keeping new blood coming in. Sometimes, it's as simple as getting newbies crewing in fun races, other times it's a more formal event with real advertising.

Just because you're not seeing it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Could more be done? Yes, as I've already said. But, you have to know the backstory first. There are several events that are capped for attendance because we only have so many volunteers available.

I'm not against having my dues used to bring in new blood. I don't want to subsidize someone else's hobby, but it cannot hurt to spend money to get more people's feet wet.

Mike

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
GYC is in the process of starting a summer sailing program aimed at younger sailors.

I'll keep you posted.

Yeah just like last year, aimed towards windsurfing. It never took off. Same people always doing everything around the club, unless others stup up, cough cough I dont see it happening.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/13/09 08:19 PM

I'll be there, and on the RC. smile I think BCYC, our neighbor, is offering a basic instructors course in May. I'll be attending that as well.

And, Robi, you are spot on. SOMEBODY has to step up and actually DO stuff.

I'm in! Anyone else?

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. - 04/24/09 01:03 AM

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/index...;ntid=20&tickeruid=0&tickerCID=0
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums