Catsailor.com

Happy Easter, my easter tradition is.........

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/12/09 04:05 PM

Boiling crawfish!!

Went to get them under the Kemah bridge this morning.
Got my crawfish boil-I use a lot!, onions, corn, potatoes, garlic, and lots of crawfish boil. Did I mention the crawfish boil?

It's gong to be good. As it turns out, my 8 year old son LOVES to eat them too, so do my wife and I. My 5 year old isn't crazy about them, we'll bring him around.

HAPPY EASTER HOLIDAYS!!
Posted By: pgp

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/12/09 04:19 PM

Thanks Todd, you too.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/12/09 04:34 PM

I have a deadly allergy to crustaceans, i.e., lobster, shrimp, crabs, so I suppose crawfish would be out of the question.

And I live in the Keys -- poor me!

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/13/09 11:59 PM

Rick, as I'm sure you know, there are a LOT of Spinae (clawless), lobsters around Florida, and especially near where you are! They are good eating, but I'm sure there are plenty of other delights in the world that you do enjoy.

Cheers
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/14/09 12:37 PM

Believe it or not, you might not be allergic to crawfish. I'm allergic to the same stuff you are and I can eat crawfish without having an allergic reaction. Crawfish are from fresh water where as the other stuff is from seawater. I believe that seawater has more iodine in it compared to fresh, but I'm not absolutely positive on that.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK THOUGH!!!! grin
Posted By: Mary

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/14/09 01:04 PM

Yeah, but the Florida spiny lobster, caught off the Keys, is also referred to as crawfish. So how do you know whether you are getting a freshwater crawfish or a saltwater crawfish? You DON'T know, and the people who sell them usually don't know, either.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/14/09 01:08 PM

I have a deadly allergy to crustaceans, i.e., lobster, shrimp, crabs, so I suppose crawfish would be out of the question.

And I live in the Keys -- poor me!

Wow Rick! I developed an adult onset allergy to Shrimp crab and lobster. I wanted to kill myself when I found out!!!!

Looks like we have something in common...
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/14/09 01:37 PM

I didn't know that.

I think I would stay away from that then for sure, especially if you don't know.

Mike

Re: Happy Easter, my easter tradition is......... - 04/14/09 01:37 PM

Mary,

Well you're right, and I'm not a Marine Biologist.

BUT,

In Florida, it is a crawfish stamp on the fishing license, (at least it was about 15-18 years ago when I was fishing for them).

BUT,

When you scuba dive, and/or snorkel as I did, and catch your own Spinae lobster IN THE OCEAN, using a snare, or even better was a hand held net, and a 'tickle' stick.

You put the net behind, and tickle them, they quickly back up, and you'd better be hanging on to that net pretty gol darn tight when they hit it.

YOu had to have a little gauge with you, and know how to use it. The game wardens would check your catch, They still HAD to be alive when you were checked for size, and there could be no visible signs of injury, as in a spike hole, or you got fined.

The only lobster I've seen indiginous to that area though, is the Spinae lobster.

The 'mudbugs' I cook, are farm raised in many states. They are freshwater, and although 'big', MUCH smaller than a spinae lobster.

cheers
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums