Catsailor.com

Spring Fever Updates?

Posted By: Timbo

Spring Fever Updates? - 04/12/09 08:58 PM

What's going on up there? Any reporters available? Wind?
Posted By: JMAC

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 02:55 AM

Got a report of 8 races total....Alex first on N20's, then Jake....Nigel first on F18's, then Krantz, then Ding.....Strubel beat Randy on the A's, Randy suffered some boat problems.....Olly won F16's, then Humphries.....

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 10:20 AM

8 Races, excellent! I guess they had wind.
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 11:43 AM

No Races Friday, Rain and lightning all day, They came home to 3" of water in the tent and everything they owned soaked.
Drowned Rats always = next day wind at Hartwell.
6 races Saturday with fantastic wind all day. Got off 2 races Sunday. Matt killed everyone on the LR3. Extremely sweet performance for the new LR3 platform. Can't wait for more details.
CARY
Posted By: Jake

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

Good wind - it got light and fluky for one race in the middle of Saturday but quickly picked back up - good 10 to 15 for most of the day. Sunday was much the same but the wind gradually died as we commenced racing for the event. Wonderful racing, great parties, and a very worthwhile time.

Alex is so flawless on the race course. We found ourselves in front of him at A-mark only three or four times but even then it didn't last long and Alex posted all bullets for the event. We did have one really exciting finish where the difference had to be the width of a credit card at the finish line!

After a rather bungled up launching of the boat Saturday morning, I had left the drain plugs out of the General and raced that way for TWO races (about 1.5 hours or better). I couldn't figure out why in the world the rear beam was slapping downwind on a lake. Fortunately (for us) a wind shift and a technical problem with one of the safety boat engines caused just enough delay in the racing that allowed us to get to a beach and drain the water...a LOT of water. the starboard hull had so much in it, we were able to tip the boat back and drain water out of the inspection port. We still had a big problem though because we had lost one of the drain plugs. I thought to myself, "of anyone out here, who might have a spare drain plug"...the answer came to me almost immediately and I yelled out to the Zhik/Layline boat 50 yards away "David Lennard - got a drain plug!?". Sure as **** he actually had a spare one on the boat. At that point, I almost expected him to pull an I20 shroud out of that hull too and check to see if I needed it!

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 12:11 PM

The finish on the LR3, which is essentially a home-built a-cat, is astonishing. I'm not a big fan of the way the deck and bow look - but the construction detail and simplicity were unbelievable and is encouraging to anyone who is considering building their own boat.

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 12:15 PM

Jake, yes, he's very good! How many A cats, how many I-20's and how many F18's?
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cary Palmer
Matt killed everyone on the LR3. Extremely sweet performance for the new LR3 platform.
CARY

FWIW, Randy beat Matt first race on Sunday, his first race with a new mast that replace his broken mast, pretty impressive considering he had no time for practice or fine tuning the rig. I don't think Randy raced Saturday due to a boat issue. So, Randy and Matt each had one bullet on Sunday (2 races). You paint with a broad stroke Cary . . .

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 01:09 PM

And Matt could have killed everybody, except Randy, on a 10 year old woodie too. Yes, he's that good.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

After a rather bungled up launching of the boat Saturday morning, I had left the drain plugs out of the General and raced that way for TWO races (about 1.5 hours or better). I couldn't figure out why in the world the rear beam was slapping downwind on a lake. Fortunately (for us) a wind shift and a technical problem with one of the safety boat engines caused just enough delay in the racing that allowed us to get to a beach and drain the water...a LOT of water. the starboard hull had so much in it, we were able to tip the boat back and drain water out of the inspection port. We still had a big problem though because we had lost one of the drain plugs. I thought to myself, "of anyone out here, who might have a spare drain plug"...the answer came to me almost immediately and I yelled out to the Zhik/Layline boat 50 yards away "David Lennard - got a drain plug!?". Sure as **** he actually had a spare one on the boat. At that point, I almost expected him to pull an I20 shroud out of that hull too and check to see if I needed it!

That story is even funnier when Jake and Karl tell it together.

Great regatta! Needs to be longer :-)
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 01:52 PM

Fantastic regatta, and great racing on Saturday and Sunday.

In the N20 fleet there was a definite separation in the fleet. Alex, Jake and Trey up at the front and then the rest of us fighting it out in the bottom half of the fleet. All in all was a great regatta with great wind that tested every single wind range sailing skill except "nuclear" skills.

I'm still waiting to determine the extent of the damage to my boat's bottoms after its little skid on the parking lot on friday night. Apparently down the road there was some significant Tornado damage. (What I heard from my Uncle who has a house on the lake in SC)

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Great regatta! Needs to be longer :-)

A week sailing out of that camp ground would be super cool.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 02:31 PM

We still had a big problem though because we had lost one of the drain plugs. I thought to myself, "of anyone out here, who might have a spare drain plug"

That's why you should always take carrots with you on the boat for snacks -- and for emergency drain plugs. smile
Posted By: tback

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 02:51 PM

It's always the crews fault (jake, I've got your back) ... especially after too much Tommy Bahama RUM.

What did I hear Karl say at the party: A Rum hangover isn't nearly as bad as a beer hangover--that's why I drink RUM!"

And the next day, the comment from Karl: "Boy was I wrong"!

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 02:59 PM

I think Friday night was the best party at a regatta, ever.

I mean, how do you beat a 40-person game of flip cup that spanned 5 8-foot long tables?

I smelled like painter's tape in the morning :P

Posted By: hoofhearted

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 03:05 PM

I posted this on Sailing Anarchy a bit earlier today. Probably one of the most fun regattas I ever been to. Couldn't stop laughing the eintire weekend and smile neVer left my face:

It was a good time. Only seventh cat beach cat race and had a blaassttt. Girlfriend's first time on a beach cat (and trapeze)and she ahad a blast. Even when we flipped and she crashed into the spi pole breaking it, we couldn"t stop laughing the entire weekend.

The race committe was superb and friendly, registration was warm, welcoming, and friendly. Race organization and timeliness was the best I have seen for a multi fleet cat bouy regatta(in my limited expereince). Fleet splits were made to accomodate everybody, Hobie 16 fleet had one fleet for crewed and one fleet for single handed. Novice desingation actually worked on the water and it seemed that the novices were treated very well on the water. Food was great, pics of sailing on Saturday night on big screen was fun to watch. Meeting new friends, making acquatinces, and seeing some buds from around the bouys was probably the best. Zipping around the bouys calling and hearing rules was enjoyable. Had so much fun we opened the laptop on the drive home and started picking out next beach cat (digging the N20). And yes, pretty serious for used boat purchase this year.

Will I be back? Oh, hell yes.

Thanks to the volunteers who made it all happen. THanks to Honey Baked Ham Company for providing great food entire time around. THanks to Layline for providing gear discounts at the regatta (Zhik gloves freaking rock, perfect for mast folks, bow folks, and the crews who suck a chute in). Thanks to Nigel and Tammy Pitt for opening up their home. THanks to Tommy Bahama Rum for killing the girlfriends pain.

See ya next year!

Craig
Nacra 6.0 "Hoof Hearted" Sail #666
Posted By: MarkW_F18

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 03:17 PM

TB rum + flip cup + No Sailing Friday, so let's Start Drinking early + Great Band + torrential rains Fri night, so may as well stay late at the party until it let's up + Early Sat Race start = Big Fat Head Day of Sailing on Saturday

Even though it wasn't certainly not our most stealer performance, we had a great time. I don't have anyone else to blame about the fat head, but damn it was FUN.

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 03:37 PM

Oh, BTW, Nigel commented on Thursday: "We won't run out of RUM this year!

UHHH, any reports on that BOLD claim?

I did notice on Saturday night, that the drinking curtailed SIGNIFICANTLY!
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 03:38 PM

If Trey and his entourage want to give you a painter's tape headband,just let them.The resistance will only make the tape tighter,like you can't blink your eyes,and it pulls half your hair out.
Don't ask me how I know.

Had a good time with the exception of some boat issues that were entirely my fault. Don't trial your boat at Spring Fever.
That Pitt guy's party's go to 11 as well as his boat. It's always a blast to see everyone.
Tawd

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tback

It's always the crews fault (jake, I've got your back) ... especially after too much Tommy Bahama RUM.

What did I hear Karl say at the party: A Rum hangover isn't nearly as bad as a beer hangover--that's why I drink RUM!"

Well,I've actually got to back-up Karl on this one. There is no way he could be blamed for the entertainment that Jake provided for us,because he was standing in the parking lot with a look of absolute astonishment on his face. We were both wondering why Jake would go sailing with the wheels and chocks still on the boat.Talk about a situation going downhill fast.
And Ding is definitely right it's way funnier when they both tell it.

p.s. Ding, I want your shirt!
Tawd

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Well,I've actually got to back-up Karl on this one. There is no way he could be blamed for the entertainment that Jake provided for us,because he was standing in the parking lot with a look of absolute astonishment on his face. We were both wondering why Jake would go sailing with the wheels and chocks still on the boat.Talk about a situation going downhill fast.
And Ding is definitely right it's way funnier when they both tell it.

p.s. Ding, I want your shirt!
Tawd

You guys are going to make me tell that story on here aren't you. crazy

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 04:20 PM

YEP!
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 04:50 PM

Tell the story Jake!
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 06:13 PM

Oooh.....I'll tell it. At least from my prespective....There was going to be an 11am first gun and the race committee made it clear that there would be no delays. Subway was scheduled to drop off lunch at 10am, so there was not a lot of time to get all the boats launched in time. Jake and I decided to put the boat in the water partial rigged and move it off to the side and he'd finish up rigging while I went to get lunch. We get the boat into the water and the bows start to swing out. I ask Jake if he had the boat. No he said he did not (apparently he did not want to get wet passed his ankles). He jumped on and said that he'd just drift over to the point. I left now and went to get the sandwiches. About 5 minutes later I walk back down to the ramp, and Jake is half way across the lake sailing back towards the ramp with the main only half way up and the beach wheels dragging behind the boat. WTF?!?!?! Well he finally made it back to the beach and we straightened everything out (well almost....see other story about plugs) and headed out. I'll let Jake tell the rest of the story as I did not see that part.

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 06:55 PM

OK...so here's the part that Karl missed;

The air was warm but the water was a little cool yet. Since the Subway sandwiches were going to be available at 10am and racing slated to start at 11, Karl and I decided that we would work to avoid the rush for the launch ramp and go ahead and get the boat in the water. I would hold it on shore while he went to get sandwiches. Figuring we would finish dressing with gear and what-not from the shoreline, we had all our stuff (including my spray suit, harness, and lifejacket) on the trampoline. Because the wind was blowing at 90 degrees to the ramp, we only strung up the jib and left the mainsail on the trampoline with the gear and rolled down the ramp with the wheels under the boat and the stern pads bunjied firmly on the sterns. It’s important to note that the cove is “C” shaped and the ramp is in the middle. With the boat now in the water, it became evident when the beach wheels hit the curb on the side of the launch ramp that I was going to have to get chest deep in the water to get to the bow to keep the boat into the wind as the jib was full and starting to pull pretty hard. Mind you, I was basically wearing fleece pajamas at this point and hadn't put on a spray suit or anything. As I headed for the bow I got as far as the front beam and was already waist deep in the cold water that is probably around 50 to 55 degrees F. Once my manhood was submerged I changed my mind about getting all the way to the bow and I told Karl to go for the sandwiches - I would just drift over to the other side of the cove and I jumped on the boat. Karl, showing great confidence in my judgment, turned and walked the considerable distance up the hill to the food tent as I drifted clear of the dock and headed, as anticipated, for the shore on the opposite side of the cove. About half way there, a gust hit with a big change of direction, the jib filled, and shot me out toward the middle of the lake at an astonishingly brisk clip even with the stern chocks and the beach dolly under the boat.

After I got over the stunning disappointment of missing the point on the cove, I realized I was sliding sideways over a shoal and thought about jumping off to park the boat and sort it out. I was concerned that I might not be able to get it turned quickly enough if the beach wheels bottomed out on the ground so I quickly nixed that idea. I certainly didn't want to be left standing on a shoal in the middle of a lake by myself, in my wet pajamas, watching my boat sail off to never never land with my beach wheels, stern chocks, and all my sailing gear without me or, worse, being dragged surfing behind the boat with no life jacket or warm gear - this was already bad enough. So here I go sailing out to the middle of the lake completely unprepared and with no control. I tried to get the mainsail up so I could balance the sails and turn the boat into the wind but with the boat reaching, the main kept getting caught on a trapeze wire and I couldn't shake it loose - I tried to hoist it twice but it took all my strength to hoist it while on that reach and I only have two hands. I was also hoping to steer the boat more into the wind but I couldn't get the rudders down because the stern chocks were in the way, so I carefully worked to remove them without loosing them OR falling in the water. It took me several minutes but I finally got the chocks free and stored on the trampoline. The rudders were down now but I couldn't steer with beach wheels still under the boat and the jib pulling the bows down without a mainsail to balance it. I couldn't get daggerboards down because the beach wheels cradles were blocking the trunks. I'm now about 150 yards away from shore and working quickly on "Plan D" to get the daggerboards down.

At this point, it's clear that the beach wheels need to come out - but they are really dragging hard through the water and I don't want to let them drift loose across the lake. However, with them in the water, I was quite sure I wouldn’t be able to hold on to them if they were completely free of the boat so I raise the rudders, untie one side of the beach wheels from the shroud, and quickly tied it to the chicken line that runs down the hull. I carefully untied the other side and let it go....the beach wheels immediately shot out from under the boat and spun while remaining in tow from the one line tied to the chicken line side just as I had hoped. I can now get the daggerboards down but with the drag from the beach wheels and the boat still unbalanced with just the jib pulling the boat, I can't make any progress to weather to get back to the beach and pick up my sandwich ... and Karl. I figure that, by now, Karl must be standing on the shore line staring at me and I can only hope he hasn't called for help. I have yet to glance back at the launch ramp as I'm hopeful that my plight hasn’t been noticed by the fleet that was hurriedly rigging their boats for racing. I'm terrified that even the slightest gaze from me toward that ramp might somehow subliminally attract the attention of someone in the fleet prompting a "hey!, look at Jake!". If I had any chance to recover unnoticed, I just COULDN'T look back at the beach as I felt it would seal my fate.

I'm now about 200 yards or so from the beach and the mainsail has to go up to get back. Because the boat is still reaching, I still can't get it to clear the trap line so with the main about 2/3 up I tie off the halyard to the trampoline lacing and lash another line to the clew of the main and the opposite corner of the boat to pull it toward the center. FINALLY I can point back at the beach and although I'm able to fly a hull, the drag of the beach wheels is making my progress painfully slow increasing the risk for mass recognition. Now that I'm finally pointing back in that direction, I have no choice but to look back at the beach and I was relieved to not see a mass of people and cameras at the bottom of the ramp. There was only Karl walking down the ramp with a sandwich in each hand and undoubtedly pondering the empty beach. It looked like I mostly got away without being noticed. I finally get back in the cove, raise the boards and rudders, and come to a stop on the shore line where Karl is waiting. He places the sandwiches on the trampoline and says "should I ask?”. I don't think my response was anything more than a simple grumble and at least 10 minutes went by before I even began to explain the process of events occurred...

And this is how we came to sail the first two races without drain plugs.

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 07:01 PM

I hope somebody is going to send some of this to Sailing World! (along with pictures)

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 07:02 PM

Jake, I saw you tightening your drain plugs with pliers .... I thought this strange as I didn't think there was much pressure on the plugs that hand tightening wouldn't solve.

Was this before, or after, your ... errr ... "casual sail"?

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 07:04 PM

Jake, I saw you tightening your drain plugs with pliers .... I thought this strange as I didn't think there was much pressure on the plugs that hand tightening wouldn't solve.

Was this before, or after, your ... errr ... "casual sail"?

After - and the wrench was used so nobody would ever remove them again. The ONLY two times I have ever needed drain plugs was when I forgot to put them in the hull in the first place. I rarely ever remove drain plugs but I either did it for the long haul or someone else did it as I had some people helping me de-rig the boat last time.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 07:35 PM

I sailed past Jake on the way out and he was sailing back in, with a "reefed" Main and a drogue chute(beach wheels) dragging behind the boat. I thought he was a little scared of the wind....
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 09:09 PM

Wait till he sees the bill. The drain plugs are cheap, but the on-the-water delivery surcharge is $$$
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Timbo

Good wind - it got light and fluky for one race in the middle of Saturday but quickly picked back up - good 10 to 15 for most of the day. Sunday was much the same but the wind gradually died as we commenced racing for the event. Wonderful racing, great parties, and a very worthwhile time.

Alex is so flawless on the race course. We found ourselves in front of him at A-mark only three or four times but even then it didn't last long and Alex posted all bullets for the event. We did have one really exciting finish where the difference had to be the width of a credit card at the finish line!

Jake:

I have a VERY funny tale about plugs. I was racing 14 Turbo at Mid-Americas in 81 or 82. Went out and was sitting waiting for the start. Bows where raising some so I went back to see why back of boat was in the water. Plugs where not screwed in!!! Well like a DA I thought I would just leen over and put them in. BAD judgment as it slowly roller over backwards and turtled. We had to pull one of the shroud pins with mask to get mast down and sails on rescue boat. Towed it in full of water as it would not come back over. I NEVER heard the end of that at raffle that night. Took hours to drain.
Posted By: krona

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 09:51 PM

It was a good regatta, with some good partying too smile

Attached picture DSC07420 [800X800].JPG
Attached picture DSC07424 [800X800].JPG

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/13/09 09:54 PM

I thought what happened at SF stayed at SF!
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/14/09 12:38 AM

Need More Cowbell!
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/14/09 02:37 AM

I'm sure all you NC State alumni out there will be proud to know that NC State Sailing (and Velocity Sailing) proudly ruled the flip-cup table(s).

What's UNC got on that besides some sweater vests and argyle socks? Nada!

Posted By: BLR_0719

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/14/09 02:58 AM

I like how Kirk is yelling at me about something and Jake is practicing in that picture.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Spring Fever Updates? - 04/15/09 03:12 AM

The only thing missing from this story...your fuzzy pajama bottoms needed to get caught on something in the lake, and tear into tiny little flinders....
Posted By: David Ingram

Results - 04/15/09 02:14 PM

Results are up: http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2009/09results1/

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums