Catsailor.com

Picture of me sailing. From afar.

Posted By: pepin

Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/22/09 11:34 PM

See me sail the Stealth on... Google map!

You can even see my bike and cat trailer (badly) parked next to the ramp.

I found it funny to see myself there! Anybody else captured in action by google map?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 12:09 AM

You need to check the left tire on your trailer - looks a little low.

Seriously, cool shot. ;-)
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 12:36 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KentHobie

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:36 AM

Judging by the shadows the planes just to the east of the reservoir are really close together!
I had a buddy one day who looked at Google Earth and saw a strange car in his driveway. He said he had to go home and see who was at his house. We told him not to worry his wife was probably just having an affair.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:33 AM

Thats pretty fricken cool. How sure are you that it is you? I looked all over the place an I can't even find my car on Google earth. One of the guys in my fleet, you can plainly make out both of his cats sitting in his yard though.

Originally Posted by mbounds
[Linked Image]

1984?

Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 03:09 AM

Very cool Pepin

google maps "street view" has my youngest sons' car in the driveway at our home and parked in front of his best friends house cool
Posted By: pepin

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
How sure are you that it is you?
Well, I was looking for my cat in its usual spot in the parking lot and it was not there. So I went looking for it. That's when I noticed my motorcycle, next to my trailer. After that is was just a matter of finding me on the water: There is no other single handed cats at the club with a pin-head main and a whitish spi bag.

If you look closely you can see the committee boat, the start and finish line and the various buoys for the course.

As for the planes the reservoir is on the flight path for Heathrow, depending on the wind we can get quite a lot of traffic overhead, sometimes really low. Rumors says that if a 747 goes overhead you get a nice puff a couple of minutes later smile
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 09:39 AM

congrats, a very lucky shot indeed! At least it "proves" you actually go sailing in addition to hanging out on this forum ;-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 11:26 AM

nothing for me showing out on the water...but clearly, this is my house.

Jake's House
Posted By: tami

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 12:40 PM

I can't remember if it was Google Maps or where it was, but I was directed to a STREET VIEW of my house from several angles.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm not real crazy about the idea of some yaya parked in front of my house taking pictures of it and then publishing the pictures. Maybe we should get bullswan to go after 'em.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 12:58 PM

Especially if it gives my wife proof that I forgot to bring in the garbage cans.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tami
I don't know about y'all, but I'm not real crazy about the idea of some yaya parked in front of my house taking pictures of it and then publishing the pictures. Maybe we should get bullswan to go after 'em.

Fine... i will drive down the street and "acquire" a new "stalkee"
Posted By: palmwolfe

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:08 PM

Especially if it gives my wife proof that I forgot to bring in the garbage cans.

Same here, I gave the kids a hard time about that!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:11 PM

Dang stalkers got a picture of my house, too!
my house

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:16 PM

The picture of my house shows the old roof. It was reshingled almost a year ago so I'm guessing there isn't a huge amount of activity.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:16 PM

I can't remember if it was Google Maps or where it was, but I was directed to a STREET VIEW of my house from several angles.

Tax records in my county, they know everything about your property. The pics are to make sure you haven't gotten away with any non-permitted construction.

I'm not sure how I did it but i ended up with a front view of Jake's house and could pan 360 degrees around his neighborhood.

Jake, I looked on your desk for the vinyl quote but didn't see it.
Tawd

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
The picture of my house shows the old roof. It was reshingled almost a year ago so I'm guessing there isn't a huge amount of activity.

Some of these images are very old... my cat is at the beach and at my parking lot. My friend sold his boat last year... but its at the beach connected to his truck.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Tawd

It's over there on the left, under that bra...
Posted By: Headhunter

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:31 PM

Getting rigged in the morning before the rest of the crowd.

At it's resting place in the drive.

Miss the Dart. I need another boat already.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Headhunter
Miss the Dart. I need another boat already.

I agree.. i am getting sick of having to take you out all the time... Your girlfriend however is welcome ANYTIME....
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:43 PM

Hrm, the pictures of my neighborhood are at least more than 2.5 years old since my house isn't even there on the photos.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott

I agree.. i am getting sick of having to take you out all the time... Your girlfriend however is welcome ANYTIME....

Wanna make a trade? (good mysteres are hard to find)

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 01:45 PM

next time you and her come out.... wear your lead weights and i can have both!

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Tax records in my county, they know everything about your property. The pics are to make sure you haven't gotten away with any non-permitted construction.

I'm not sure how I did it but i ended up with a front view of Jake's house and could pan 360 degrees around his neighborhood.

Tawd

hahah....note that when you type my address in, you get my neighbor's house....if his house blows up some day, I'll know it's time to move - quickly.

Streetview was one of Google's recent initiatives and they have a series of specialized cars with cameras on the roof coupled with computers and GPS antennas to document exactly where the picture was taken. Some areas, aware of the Google car's visit, hosted special events - silly parades that got documented, a medieval sword fight in a field, etc. The google car also hit a deer in the Northeast somewhere that was fully documented - though I believe they removed that from the database...It has nothing to do with the government (although Google continues to get quite large).

You want a REALLY ooogie technology, try Google Latitude. If running Google maps on your phone you can link a friend list and it will upload your exact location so you can see where all your friends on the map. I had lunch the other day and checked to see how accurately it placed me...not only did it have my precise location but clicking on "Street View" showed the front of the restaurant I was eating at. I have nothing to hide but, boy, that was a strange sensation.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:12 PM

You can request to have the images removed.

Go to the image of interest.

Look in the lowest left corner. There, in very tiny text, it says "report a problem." Click on that, you will be taken to a dialogue window in which you can register your complaint and request such removal.

I wouldn't be so damn bent about it, but this wasn't done by the government. (not that I wouldn't have been pissed if the gov had taken the pix, but there's less I can say about that.)

INDIVIDUALS are going around and taking these pics, WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION, and furnishing them to Google. I am seriously contemplating legal action.

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:17 PM

I am seriously contemplating legal action.

While I certainly agree with your standpoint - I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on since taking a picture of your house, road, lawn mower, or anything that is in plain view would be considered illegal.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:18 PM

"I am seriously contemplating legal action." On what basis?

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:19 PM

Not allot you can do about them displaying "public domain" images. This is not a violation of civil liberties, nor an intrusion on your rights to privacy. If it can be seen from the street... its public.

IMHO it's certainly less intrusive than my phone calls being scanned by the "patriot act"... which in the name of protecting the state... has removed most of my privacy.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott

next time you and her come out.... wear your lead weights and i can have both!

I drew you a pictorial of our next sailing adventure.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 02:21 PM

Thats Great Jon!... i didn't know you were so skilled with an Etch a Sketch.

Note to self: get some shark repelant... and throw Jon overboard next time before he cuts my trapwires
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/23/09 04:16 PM

Holy crap, that's funny Headhunter!
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/24/09 09:31 AM

I use aerial photos for my work every day. Most Google Earth photos are about 2 years old. Some counties will pay for aerial surveys (for taxation, construction and other purposes) on a more regular basis. For Indianapolis, you can access aerials on-line, dating back to the 30's, each precisely mapped and over-layable. It's cool to see the farmlands before the reservoir existed where I sail.

Here's a link (if it works) to Windows Live Local Maps, which is even more detailed than Google Earth, and their "Bird's Eye View" which lets you look at your house from all sides, at an angle. It shows my boat last spring, still with the winter cover on it. Most aerials are taken when there are no leaves on the trees.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...phscl=1&scene=31900928&encType=1

But if you look from the other angles, my boat doesn't exist, and the club piers change configurations.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/24/09 12:17 PM

well, FWIW, they pulled the pix of my house offline, so there must be something in it.

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 04/24/09 01:18 PM

well, FWIW, they pulled the pix of my house offline, so there must be something in it.

That....OOOrrrr they're being respectful of your wishes and providing good customer service.
Posted By: SheriMoon

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 05/05/09 02:32 AM

Thanks for taking me sailing Sunday, Pedro. Had a blast!

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 05/05/09 12:56 PM

You welcome! it was awesome....
Posted By: Bajan_Bum

Re: Picture of me sailing. From afar. - 05/05/09 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

Dang stalkers got a picture of my house, too!
my house

I would rather see the Google shot.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums