Catsailor.com

N6.0 to N6.0NA

Posted By: AzCat

N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 04:29 AM

What is involved in changing a 6.0 to an NA, and will it be competitive in a 20 class? or am I just killing myself with a low portsmith#?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 09:45 AM

often wondered this myself, we only ever had one 6.0 in europe I think that it was what you call the stock 6.0. Not really sure what the 'upgrade' was apart from taller mast.

The 6 will always be competitive upwind, we were faster on that point than the i20s when they 1st arrived.

The 6 with a kite will always struggle against a cat that was purpose built for a kite. assuming that what you mean by a '20' class is spinnaker sailing.
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 11:54 AM

Looking at the NACRA archives it shows both boats with a 31 foot 7 inch mast, both weighing 420 pounds. Sail area 251 square feet for the 6.0 and 264 aquare feet for the 6.0 NA. According to the brochures, 6.0 NA has a larger main than the 6.0 and also a larger jib with new bow foil.
Posted By: tami

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 12:15 PM

It has been my observation that Mark Ederer could consistently whup on whomever he wanted to with his 6.0NA.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 12:27 PM

The N/A does have a bigger main. It also has longer spreader arms and an intermediate set of diamond wires. Are you thinking of getting Clyde Betts' boat? It has a set of N/A sails but as far as I know he didn't upgrade to the bigger spreader arms and intermediat diamonds. It needs to be done because I've been told that the original mast config will fold with the N/A main in a breeze. He also has the semi-self tacking jib wich is nice. The overlapping one is good for some screaming reaches but not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 02:08 PM

That jib was what made the 6.0NA the monster it was... taking it off is like owning a wolf with dentures.
Posted By: AzCat

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 04:39 PM

Hello Lee, I guess if Clyde lives in Santa Barbra I am looking at his boat. Do you know the boat? and if so, is it in as good of shape as he says? I wanted to see it when i was out for the Border run but couldent find the time.
I will be in the area again in a couple of weeks and will attempt to find the time to see it. In the meantime, I have a TheMightyHobie18 Magnum that I will get to know better.
We missed you at the border run, Maby next year.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
That jib was what made the 6.0NA the monster it was... taking it off is like owning a wolf with dentures.

LOL!

Slightly related:
I sail a mystere 5.5 and many supersize to the 6.0 jib. I own a few of both.... i feel the smaller jib fits better, less overlap of the mast, less hang ups of the sheets, uses less sheet, handles better (although it is also crisper) and i prefer it.

I haven't switched out jibs in the same day to compare.. but i love the smaller one... i don't really care if i am a knot slower downwind with it... i have a spin
Posted By: John Williams

Re: N6.0 to N6.0NA - 04/28/09 08:16 PM

We had a 5.5 jib for the 6.0 when it was nuking... I feel that I learned how to fly a 'chute from that 6.0 jib, though. Taught me a lot about apparent wind on the run.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums