Catsailor.com

A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report

Posted By: Acat230

A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 02:49 AM

Former Nacra 5.2 North American Champion Jim Leonard sailing an EVO HT surprised the fleet by winning the one and only race today at the A-Class NAC. It was an extremely tough race for the 43 boat fleet that saw many lead changes in the light (5-7 knots) and very shifty (30-40 degree oscillations) breeze with the final half of the downwind leg being influenced by the wind line off of a massive squall line that resulted in cancellation of the racing for the remainder of the day.

Leonard and Matt Struble worked a shift with pressure on the left side of the second beat to lead the fleet down the final downwind leg. The end of the leg featured some excitement as the breeze shifted right another 40 degrees and built to 18-20 knots. Leonard just nipped Matt across the line and the pair were followed closey by Pete Melvin, Pease Glaser, Skip Elliott, Bob Hodges, Ben Moon, and Randy Smyth. The most unfortunate was Lars Guck who was in fourth but had a spectacular capsize less than 15 yards from the finish. I think he still finished in the top 10 (check the Fort Walton Yacht Club website for more details).

Forecast looks promising for tomorrow with SE winds at 10-15 knots.

Posted By: Robi

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 03:48 AM

Is there a link or page where we can see results by racers?

I would love to follow this event closer.
Posted By: tami

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 11:16 AM

Here ya go

http://www.fwyc.org/Regattas2009/acatna/results.html
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 07:47 PM

Go Jim! Good on ya!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 07:51 PM

What do the different divisions mean?
Posted By: lesburn1

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 08:29 PM

it looks like it might be an age thing.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: A-Class NAC 1st Day Quick Report - 05/13/09 09:55 PM

Those old guys kick butt! Dont let Master or Grand Master fool you.
I wonder if there are trophies in each age division as well as an overall class.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums