Catsailor.com

Dolphin striker question/idea

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 06:58 PM

Like many designs, my boat has a flat bar for the dolphin striker. Just a thought I had the other day, why not make these twisted a bit? With the leading edge higher than the back edge? Its not much area, but when stuffing the bows it could be one more thing that provides some lift to keep its attitude in check.

Just an idea I had, I'm sure the engineering types have something to say about it.
Posted By: TEH

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 07:26 PM

Why not make them 3" - 4" wide as well? Hydroplane your way out of a pitch?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 07:31 PM

Theres no replacement for (bow) displacement :P

Posted By: NacraKid

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 07:38 PM

From with angaling it like that is that when it hits a wave it has more drag, slowing you down that bit more
Posted By: krona

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 07:45 PM

To far back to make any difference, it's pretty close to center of buoyancy.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 10:18 PM

Just take it off, it looks goofy anyway.
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/21/09 10:21 PM

Creating lift to such an extent will simply put a huge loading on an already pretty fragile " stay " beef it all up and you are suddenly adding kilos which then puts you closer to the water which then means you will hit the water more often which means than you will have beef it up some more.

Nay its a crap idea and one of those really really great bar ideas which should never get put into practice grin
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Dolphin striker question/idea - 05/22/09 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Nay its a crap idea and one of those really really great bar ideas which should never get put into practice grin

No alcohol involved, just 250 miles of I-90 in Wisconsin. The mind tends to wander, especially when you're doing the speed limit and don't have cops to pay attention to. Like I said, just a thought. Gotta get those idea's out there when they hit, ya know?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums