Catsailor.com

TVs

Posted By: pgp

TVs - 05/27/09 12:39 PM

If you're considering a Toshiba television, don't do it! I have one of their big screens which is on the fritz. The local tech says he has to send a part out to be rebuilt, so no tv for me. . . for 4-6 weeks! Great picture, when it works.

Mitsubishi is even worse, according to the tech.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 01:26 PM

Silly me, I thought this was about our sailing team :P

Posted By: David Ingram

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 01:51 PM

It's not always about you Tad. smile

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 01:52 PM

LIES

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 01:57 PM

Of course it's about Tad! He needs a new spin, so he shouldn't waste money on a Toshiba big screen.

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 03:08 PM

Fortunately, I already have a big screen (well, relatively big) and it appears that the spin issue is being handled appropriately.

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

I've got nothing but good things to say about Mitsubishi TVs. I have a 65" that I bought new in 2004, it hasn't had a problem, and the picture is still very bright and crisp. When, (if is more realistic), I finish my basement I plan on replacing it with a newer 73" Mitsubishi. My only complaint is that I bought it about a month before the 1080p version came out. Mine only does 1080i.
Posted By: Bajan_Bum

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Beware of reps who rag on other brands!

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 07:21 PM

They sell and service both brands and most others.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 07:24 PM

If I had 65 inches, Id be sitting on the couch too wink

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 07:29 PM

42". But when it quits working. . . blush

Seriously, I was floored when the guy pulled the innards out and said he'd have to ship it back to the manufacturer. That's like the Chevy dealer saying he has to ship your engine back to GM. Is there still a GM?
Posted By: blockp

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 08:48 PM

Boys boys boys.

When you install a projector, you will quit measuring in diagonal inches and start measuring in horizontal feet. My HD picture in my basement is just shy of 10' wide. Can't remember how tall it is, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out. 16:9 screen ratio. cool
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 09:44 PM

I bought a Toshiba 32" just a month ago becouse my old Sony CRT broke, and now you tell me.. frown wink grin
I hardly watch TV anymore, so if it break I'll see it as a good opportunity to get my little girl weaned off the TV and even more into magazines and books smile 4-6 weeks sounds perfect.
Posted By: PTP

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 09:48 PM

I watch too much TV but I don't care. Mindlessness is great sometimes (everynight for a few hours).
Got a 60inch 1080p rear projection sony last year right before they stopped making them. very slim and 1/3 the cost of equivalent lcd or plasma. Great picture and I don't watch that TV near enough to worry about the bulb burning out for years. Have a 42 inch LCD Vizio which works great.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by PTP
Have a 42 inch LCD Vizio which works great.

You're the one!

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by blockp
Boys boys boys.

When you install a projector, you will quit measuring in diagonal inches and start measuring in horizontal feet. My HD picture in my basement is just shy of 10' wide. Can't remember how tall it is, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out. 16:9 screen ratio. cool

My problem is the cost per area ratio. Sure you can get a massive picture with a projector, but all of them that I looked at that I thought were good ones, were in the $7k-$10k range. I paid $2k for my tv. They've probably come down in the four years since I bought my tv though. So maybe they're worth looking into again. Especially since the room it'll go in my basement will be cave dark.
Posted By: PTP

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 10:58 PM

the cost of the screen starts coming into play a lot too. It isn't "just" a 5k or 10k projector...

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by PTP
the cost of the screen starts coming into play a lot too. It isn't "just" a 5k or 10k projector...

Screen
Projector mounting system
A/V system
Reclining seats
Popcorn machine
Bar
Stock for bar
Wall treatment

Watch Cribs. You'll get some ideas.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 11:07 PM

Kind of like buying a new camper for the sailing season and the window blows out on your second trip.
Bieng told by the dealer that the window isn't covered under warranty. Now there's a 2 month wait for a new window. Starcraft campers and Jayco can kiss my ( %$#&*^%$$#*&@!!) Stay away from those brands
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TVs - 05/27/09 11:08 PM

If you want to save some money, go to the rent rent places. When they get repo's they can't sell them as new. I got a 52" RCA HDTV a few years ago for $799. With shielded monster cable my pic is as good as most. If I was going new I would get a Samsung or one of the LED TV's.

Doug
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 02:15 AM

Talk about a bait and switch title on a post. I was looking forward to some serious discussion about Transvestites when instead it is a thread on oversized idiots lanterns frown

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by flumpmaster
Talk about a bait and switch title on a post. I was looking forward to some serious discussion about Transvestites when instead it is a thread on oversized idiots lanterns frown

You don't live somewhere cold and dark 8 months a year. If it wasn't for a healthy dvd collection, and Playstation online I woulda swallowed a .45 a long time ago. grin

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
You don't live somewhere cold and dark 8 months a year. If it wasn't for a healthy dvd collection, and Playstation online I woulda swallowed a .45 a long time ago. grin

Make sure you have the proper condiments on hand. The overpowering taste of gun grease can really ruin a meal.

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 06:35 AM

Karl,

I live at 63deg north, on the north side of a mountain. We dont even see the sun for two months during winter unless we go around the montain between 1000-1400 hours. I guess Gato in Finland is much the same since he possibly lives even closer to the polar circle? Neither he or I watch much TV. There is just so much interesting and fun stuff to do that there is no time for the TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_circle

Flumpmaster,

"idiots lantern".. Nice term. grin grin
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 06:58 AM

I had this delivered to me yesterday: Networked Media Tank HDX1000 (a bargain at €179).
These days I download most TV series I like instead of waiting for them to come along on TV, and having to sit through those horrible commercials.
It can read all movie formats available and access the files which are stored on my PC
(although I also installed a 1TB drive I had laying around so it can download and store movies all by itself).
For an LCD-TV you just cant beat the Sony Bravia line (40").

And Karl: If you need a 73" TV, you are compensating for something! grin

(this message was typed while waiting for family to bring me my house key 'cause I locked myself out blush ).

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 08:08 AM

this message was typed while waiting for family to bring me my house key 'cause I locked myself out blush )

"Idiot lantern" factor?

Hmm, that media tank box comes without a disc reader. Looks like CDs/DVDs/Blue Ray is going to die rather soon..

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 10:37 AM

I guess it's true, what they say about Texas.

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 01:45 PM

<****. laugh First person shooters suck butt on a small TV. I also rarely go to see movies at the theatre anymore. Too fricken expensive. I'm positive my home theatre has saved me money.

Rolf- I don't know what kind of temperatures you get, but my Norwegian blood isn't doing much for me here. We spent a few weeks in the -30*C range, almost a full week it was close to -40*C. Plus all the frigid crap that leads up and follow's it. As an added bonus I live in a weird spot that never seems to get snow. North gets snow, south gets snow, we get a barren cold butt nothing to do climate for 7 months a year. Then throw in living on the plains and you get the joy of it being windier than hell, pushing that frigid cold, already dangerous temperature into deadly cold. Continentality sucks. I went 9 months with out wearing shorts and a t-shirt! There is nothing interesting to do here in the winter but drink and screw.

Awesome in the summer though, but not worth it.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Awesome in the summer though, but not worth it.

So move somewhere warmer. It's not that hard. Pack all your crap up and get in your truck and move. laugh
Posted By: David Parker

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 02:12 PM

<****.

Attached picture Man With Huge Cock.jpg

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
For an LCD-TV you just cant beat the Sony Bravia line (40").

The Z model looks pretty good.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 04:11 PM

Consumer reports recently (4th qtr 2008) listed some HD projectors as their best buy - most were under $3,000.

I would definitely go that route (if I had somewhere big enough to project an image that big), and have seen some pimped out systems where the projector retracts into the ceiling when not in use (as does the screen)

I can only imagine a 5-person shooter game on a 5' x 10' screen
Posted By: TEH

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 05:22 PM

Two years ago, I bought a projector that does 1080i, projector mount, 20' HDMI cable, screen, upscaling DVD player and some other misc stuff for less than $2K.

Looks great even with lights on in the room. I think the same projector today that now does 1080p is less than $2500.

If you have the room, the only downside of projectors is the bulbs go out after about 3,000 hours.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by TEH
the only downside of projectors is the bulbs go out after about 3,000 hours.

That's all the owner's manual on my LCD 32" TV says the bulb is good for.... and less with lots of on/off cycles...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TVs - 05/28/09 08:44 PM

Get one of these. You will not out live the screen. LOL

http://www.samsung.com/us/productsubtype/led/?cid=ppc_hdt_yah_LED_LED+General_LED+TVs

Doug
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums