Catsailor.com

Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul

Posted By: Anonymous

Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/27/09 11:46 PM

One of my hauls have been cracked (crushed) form the weight of snow. The point was of course in the rear where the roller was supporting the haul. What should I use for the repair, my friend said I should us 3m filler with hardner and micro bulbles.I am new to all this, I got the boat last year and its my first.
Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 01:30 AM

Don't haul the hull to the trash, I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for fixing it.

Ah yes, the Supercat 17, owned by companies, including AMF (you know, the Pool Table/bowling lane people) Maybe the Supercat designer will chime in.

Nice boat, bouyant boardless hulls, etc.
Posted By: erice

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 03:56 AM

the kind of repair you do will depend on the extent of the damage

an under 100kb pic posted here will help people understand how bad the damage is

how deep is it?
are there any cracks?
how far from the crush point do any cracks spread? etc
Posted By: Seeker

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 05:07 AM

Todd its not AMF, it's ARC, nothing to do with the Pool table/bowling lane people.

First supercats were built by Formula Racing Sailboats(Bill Roberts)then Boston Whaler,(Erickson Yachts) and from 1984 to now by Aquarius Sails.

Here is their current web site...
http://www.aquarius-sail.com/
Call Tom Haberman of ARC on the phone and he can walk you thru the best method of repairing your supercat.

Regards,
Bob
Posted By: tomthouse

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 12:44 PM

I've had a Supercat 17 for years.

They are tough boats, lots of forward flotation, fun to sail, etc.

Tom Haberman at Aquarius has always been a great resource to talk and work with.

A pic would help us see what kind of damage you've got and help this discussion a bunch.

I've done a fair amount of repairs on my boat after the wind picked it up and it crashed on the hard, bows over sterns.

That blew out one of the transoms, but a fairly easy and straight forward repair put it back into action, without a big ugly scar.

Let us know what you find out and how your coming on your repair.

Tom
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 01:49 PM

Well,

I do believe I stand corrected. It may have been the 'TRAC' boats that were AMF name also.

Anyone?
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 02:22 PM

Trac, definitely AMF, but I dont think Supercat. My SC20 was built by Boston Whaler(or at least thier name was on it)
Posted By: papayamon2

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 02:26 PM

Yes, the TRAC 14 & 16 were made by AMF in the 80's. The 14 is still produced in Australia as the Windrush 14, apparently a pretty active class down under.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Repairing super cat 17 1983 haul - 05/28/09 04:26 PM

Dont forget Harley Davidsons was bought by AMF (in 1969)
Thank goodness production was returned back to the Harley Company when they sold AMF (1981)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums