Catsailor.com

Starting 'em out young

Posted By: Doug_P182_LKN

Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 02:39 AM

I'm not a frequent poster here. Much more of just a lurker. But I did take my kids out on the boat for the first time on Sunday for a great day of sailing. They LOVED it! I'm just boasting here, but I think my 4-yr-old son, Kyle, looks too darned cute in this pic:

[Linked Image]

And here's our ride:

[Linked Image]

I think there's some serious potential crew developing here! grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 03:40 PM

My Gf love to sail "hard and fast"... on the wire.. bows under water... but the first time i really flew a hull with her 7 year old daughter onboard... she started to cry... i found out it was just because she was cold and tired... but i think she enjoyed it in the end...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: brucat

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 04:42 PM

Took Hunter out on Saturday for the first time ever. He's 2 1/2 years old, smiled for the whole ride!

Bad news was, our boat had rudder issues, so we used a friend's boat.

Good news, we were sailing back to the beach, I turned to Hunter, and said "Do you want to go that way, onto the beack to see Mommy (pointing at beach), or that way to go fast (pointing back to the water)?"

He pointed to the water and yelled "THAT WAY!!!"

Mike

PS, yes I have pics, no idea how to load one...

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 06:43 PM

so you sailed a Hunter 2.5 Thats great!
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 06:44 PM

"He pointed to the water and yelled "THAT WAY!!!"

Alright! That's what I call quality time ;-)
Posted By: ryanm

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 08:41 PM

I wish my grandpa would of taken me out on a cat instead of his x boat at that age. Luckily i got hooked at age 16 and sail catamarans everyday now.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/18/09 08:44 PM

"Do you want to go that way, onto the beack to see Mommy (pointing at beach), or that way to go fast (pointing back to the water)?"

Very clever the way you included "Mommy" in that. wink
Posted By: brucat

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/22/09 04:21 PM

Just trying to relate to him in terms he'd understand...

He knows "Mommy" and "fast" but I'm not sure he knows "beach..."

Mommy was as proud as I was when I told her the story!

Forgot to mention, he also started to pick up the mainsheet after we tacked and tried to pull it in (without me showing him how). He got upset when I tried to help...

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/23/09 07:50 PM

I've got the ankle-biters signed up for swim lessons and would like to get them fitted for lifejackets as soon after as I can. Now, to find a boat that I can hide in the garage under all that baby crap...

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/23/09 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I've got the ankle-biters signed up for swim lessons and would like to get them fitted for lifejackets as soon after as I can. Now, to find a boat that I can hide in the garage under all that baby crap...

Have you seen the RC thread? grin
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Starting 'em out young - 06/23/09 08:49 PM

Dub (Mr. Mom) is my mentor...
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums