Catsailor.com

Recommendations for single handed beach cat?

Posted By: WindyHillF20

Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 07:48 PM

Finding crew is becoming more and more difficult. My 18 is a great boat but needs crew to sail safely as I am usually the only boat out. I need a boat that is fast, easy to rig and capable of withstanding years of beach landings.
I have looked at the H14 turbo but with my size its just a pitchpole waiting to happen, I'm 6'3" 200lbs. The H17 could be the answer but not really interested in a wing seat boat. F16s really grab my attention but seem fragile and expensive at this point in the game but might work. An A cat is completely out of the question. The Nacra F17 sounds like a good fit but I know little about it or the Nacra line in general.
So, if you wanted a fast, durable, spin capable, solo rightable cat what would you choose and why?
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 07:57 PM

H16. Easy to set up by yourself and sail single handed.

Waves are even better as they are easily righted.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:03 PM

I have a 16 and its a good boat but not what I'm looking for. The 16 can't be righted solo with out a bag or something for extra weight. I can't begin to imagine sailing a trashcan with rudders, ever! I don't like the ride of the curved hulls on the 16. I prefer a flatter hull design like the H17 over the H14 or H16 shape. Any other suggestions?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:06 PM

Hobie Wave
Hobie 14
Hobie 17
Hobie FX/One
Oh yea, I like that I17r too.
Posted By: lonestarcat

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:07 PM

I think this question has been asked 100 times, and since I think I am almost in the same boat, I read the threads with interest. The F16 proponents seem most persuasive to me.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:09 PM

I'm a little surprised you can't right a Hobie 16 at 200 pounds... really?
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:09 PM

Dart 18 or Nacra 5000 (5.0) would fit the bill.. Hobie 16 class speed 2 up... hobie 17 speed single handed.

Skegs and hull design form you want plus a boomless main.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:21 PM

H 16, F17, or any of those boats arent exactly single hander ocean boats, but at your size maybe. I wouldnt want to pull any of them up the beach by myself though.
An FX one my fit your bill...or an A Cat---Marstrom only
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:26 PM

If you are serious about beach landings, I would leave out the A-cat and the FX one. F17, is a maybe, but I don't know.

Now if you are talking about stopping out in the water and then pulling it up on the edge and then using cat trax to move it the rest of the way, any boat would do.

Lets put it this way, most new boats aren't going to take beach landings all of the time like the TheMightyHobie18.

Mike
Posted By: Jake

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
I'm a little surprised you can't right a Hobie 16 at 200 pounds... really?

I've righted both a Nacra 20 and F18 solo on multiple occasions (at 180lbs). The 16 should be relatively easy to right and I would have to say based on toughness and prowess through the surf that the 16 would be the way to go single hand.
Posted By: lonestarcat

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:33 PM

I was interested to see that some are not allowed to capsize with their wife as crew. I made that mistake last month. We could not right the boat at 330 pounds. It just doesn't look like a task where skill is that important. Apparently it is though, and I wish I had that skill.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:36 PM

In the right conditions I can solo right the 18, in the right conditions. The FX 1 will not take repeated beach landings nor will an A cat. I cannot stop coming in due to swimmer traffic, I sail off Myrtle Beach. I hit the sand and slide to a stop, always! The I17R is looking more and more like the right fit for me. I tend to go in and out repeatedly all day long, typically with different crew each time if available. By crew I mean strange women on the beach, not actual crew. Nacra 500 looks interesting as well.
How does the 16 sail with a spin on it? Does the spin give the bows lift or drive them in? The 16 is a pitchpole master like the 14 but more bouancy. My 16 is an '81 with solid mast so I could give it a try.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:47 PM

Re the I17... Why hassle with the boards coming in and out. Any sand upwash and the board could get stuck etc etc. No boards on the tramp to worry about when you storm onto the beach. A mistake with the boards is expensive.... If you are not racing. I would think the 5.0 with a chute would be a good solution... Same hull construction as the 17 with less aggravation. Wouter has noted that it's gaining in popularity in Holland... same purpose that you plan for it.

Anything other then the TheMightyHobie18 will require attention to the bottoms yearly.

Mystere used a metal strip to protect the skegs of their 5.0 (same as the Nacra 5.0) so that could help you out on the wear and tear issue.
Posted By: Tornado

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 08:51 PM

WETA!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 09:04 PM

I've owned an Inter 17 and now own a F16 (Stealth).

THe stealth is tougher on "beach" landings than the F17; boat are foam sadwich construction.

Inter 17 is 60kg more to pull around....

Inter 17 was harder to get back up from capsize.

IF you are really worried about beach landings (what sort of beach?) buy a skeg boat.

Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 09:08 PM

The Weta rocks, that would be fun at Myrtle
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 09:08 PM

The FX-One should be fine with beach landings though, used to do that all the time.
It may need a bottomjob every year or so, but that goes for any cat.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by WindyHillF20
The FX 1 will not take repeated beach landings...

That's not the case. I had my FX on the beach for 3 years and sailed through the surf at least 3 times a week. I fixed the nicks and dings every season just because that's what I do to the boats that I own, but there was never anything major. That was full-on on the sand storage. When I sold it this year, the bottoms were as brand new.

J
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/18/09 09:37 PM

Partial to the Hobie 17, as I have sailed mine since 1987. Very rugged, and easy to sail. I am your size, and can right solo without any problems. The wings are a real plus. Keeps you drier and a major advantage in heavy winds. Price on the market is way down, close to the H-16's.

Caleb Tarleton
H-17 6446
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 03:16 AM

Hey...I get to brag on my boat the Prindle 15! With almost the same sail area as the P16 main its' rating = 76.2 and weighs 260 pounds. It's a blast one-up and is OK for taking an occasional passenger, but it may be hard to locate one. Seen a few running P16 jibs. My "dream" would be adding a hooter, and a square top, wink
Posted By: Capt_Cardiac

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 05:24 AM

nacra 500 1-up spinnaker. your description sounds like a setup for this cat.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 01:08 PM

If you can not moore the cat off the beach (anchor with a float), or back it up to the beach...and fly up the beach.. you are not in total control your boat!

If you do a beach landing.... how do you avoid people on the beach (or worse how about a little kid that runs into the surf and in your way!) ?

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen on a beach like Myrtle.

I seem to recall reading that you can launch anywhere in NC without licensing or problems... you should move to an area where there are no swimmers!!!!

All that being said.. if you wont move to a more friendly "catamaran beach"... i think a weta is a great choice.. you have room for 2 bikini' chicks, and a reacher that you can easily furl. it is a very resilient design (i think roto-mold hulls and ama's) and has carbon and lightweight features. Despite being short (14' if i recall) they are pitch resistant...

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 02:57 PM

I've been sailing off this beach for 30 years with no incidence, ever. I have shore crew per se, to clear an area for me to land. I take offence to your statement that I'm not in control of my boat. To move to another area would be nearly impossible, and my house is 4 streets off the ocean. There is no catamaran friendly area within 25 miles of my location. I am totally aware of the risk involved and take all precautions to avoid swimmers. I also surf and am forced to go to a specific area to surf, the swimmers are not restricted from that area. So, exactly where would you propose I find this protected "catamaran friendly" area?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 02:59 PM

There is no catamaran friendly area Mike. Just be careful and don't aim for the kids. Its obvious that you know how to land your cat.
Posted By: Jeff_Bowers

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 03:32 PM

I also sail in and out of the surf, as do all of us in Daytona. You pick your spot and pick your time. You do not FLY into the beach. You control you boat speed, stay between the waves. It is alot easier to sail into a crowded beach then it is to manouver on a crowded start line. One more reason to race. It really improves your boat handling.
As for launching you pick you time and conditions. If the wind and surf are not right you leave it on the beach.
I also carry a whistle. My biggest fear is the non cat sailor person who runs out to help.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 03:57 PM

well i certainly did not mean to offend (my ability to offend without intent is a well documented occurrence), but almost every person i see sail up the beach (Hobie beach) where i sail... does so because they do not know the proper way to land a cat. I did it myself when i first started... and i saw the look in peoples eyes as my boat came toward them...

I was unaware you had 20 years expeiriece... but it still sounds dangerous and an accident waiting to happen to me.

I still feel if you are sailing into a beach, with unpredictable obstacles (people) you do not have full control of the situation, hence... out of control
Posted By: srm

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 04:10 PM

I'm 6'3" 200lbs. The H17 could be the answer but not really interested in a wing seat boat.

I would keep the H17 in the running. I'm about the same size as you (a little heavier) and I enjoy the 17, especially in a breeze. It is super easy to set up and on the water it's pretty simple (just enough strings to pull). Personally I enjoy the wings as they keep you well clear of oncomming waves/chop, but you can always run without them. The 17 feels very similar to the 18 although maybe a little livlier on it's feet. The 17 is plenty strong enough to handle beach launching/landings too.

On the down side, I don't know of any off-the-shelf spin kits for the 17, although I know it has been done. Also, especially at your size, the 17 starts to become a dog with more than one person onboard.

sm

Posted By: pepin

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 04:52 PM

I would not recommend any daggerboard boat for your usage. Centerboard and skegs are the name of the game for beach landing, especially solo: you don't have enough hands.

So I concur with the recommendations for the Nacra 500. It has a fairly modern sail plan with spi, it is fairly quick and it boasts skegs, perfect to do beach landings. You can sail it alone without the jib, like a F16, and add the jib for those day you have a crew. It supports weight fairly well, and you *should* be able to right it by yourself.

Have you tried a modern rotomolded spi boat? In Europe we have the Dart 16 and the Topaz 16CX, no idea what's available in the US. Those are not as quick as a nacra 500 by a long shot, but don't ignore them. Both have skegs and (optional) spi, and at least one trapeze. They are indestructible, tough beasts, but once they are going, those are awesome.

Depending on the wind condition you expect where you sail, I'd go for one or the other. Usual light wind, go with the 500. Regular 15knots and more, go with a rotomolded.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 05:05 PM

I'm heading to the coast this weekend and will be able to sail a 17 and a Nacra 5.2(i think). I'm taking my 18 as well. I am starting to think that a righting pole for the 18 is a better place to start. My 18 jib is self-tacking so other than setting and dousing the spin I can stay at the back of the boat. I can no longer furl the jib but could remove it for heavier wind and run uni with spi. Maybe a righting pole like Rick sells on this site is the answer! That way I can have crew when available, I don't have to buy/sell anything. I just don't want to capsize it and not be able to right it. Pulling the boards prior to landing isn't a concern, mine are bungeed and will stay up in the well.

I guess the Fla cat sailors are a little more cautious, I've seen the Myrtle spin guys slide the boat into the dunes wide open. I don't do this but it isn't uncommon. I do like to lift the hull immediately after getting thru the surf. I think its kinda fun threading the needle thru the swimmer traffic on the way in. It really only gets hairy once the rudders have popped loose, hard to steer it.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 09:04 PM

Sliding up the beach on your cat certainly is cool, until you slide over a rock (or partially buried cinder block washed in during the last storm) and gouge the snot out of the hull.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/19/09 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by srm
I'm 6'3" 200lbs. The H17 could be the answer but not really interested in a wing seat boat.

I would keep the H17 in the running. I'm about the same size as you (a little heavier) and I enjoy the 17, especially in a breeze. It is super easy to set up and on the water it's pretty simple (just enough strings to pull). Personally I enjoy the wings as they keep you well clear of oncomming waves/chop, but you can always run without them. The 17 feels very similar to the 18 although maybe a little livlier on it's feet. The 17 is plenty strong enough to handle beach launching/landings too.

On the down side, I don't know of any off-the-shelf spin kits for the 17, although I know it has been done. Also, especially at your size, the 17 starts to become a dog with more than one person onboard.

sm

I had a reacher made for my H-17 to attach to the stock Sport system. Added lots of power to the boat. I carried 3 people easy.

Doug

Attached picture cd1260_R1_23.sized.jpg
Attached picture Me and Ash.jpg
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/20/09 06:38 AM

Nacra 5.5 Uni or 18 Square

You can set them up with a kite if you want.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/20/09 06:44 AM

Hobie 17 as mentioned is a good option.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/20/09 10:08 AM

So, if you wanted a fast, durable, spin capable, solo rightable cat what would you choose and why?

I replaced my other boats (pluriform) by a single F16 that does all and many years on I'm as happy with my choice as I was in the beginning. But that is me.

If I were you I would either sell the stuff you have now and replace it with a single craft that allows you to do both (2-up and 1-up) or find a very nice second hand Nacra 5.0 (Not many second hand Nacra 500 around in the US yet I fear).

I can't live without the spinnaker and I assume you are no different in that respect. This means the H16 is out. With regard to other second hand boats, I'm not sure they are worth spending the cost of a spi package on.

With regard to the H17, I found that boat to be a B^%$# to tack and gybe. The boom is really waaaaay too low on that boat. Not something you want when gybing under spinnaker. I'm 6 ft 2 inches and weight 190 lbs.

Wouter
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 06/21/09 12:52 AM

The 18HT would seem to be about right for this chap. And he can pull it up the beach alone.
Posted By: RustyWest

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 07/25/09 08:16 PM

Also when thinking of a good single handed boat you gotta think about which boats you can put the mast up by yourself. I have a H14 until I can upgrade to a used Wave
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 07/27/09 03:03 AM

I started with a Nacra 5.2 although it's a 2-person boat a great well-balanced single handler for a bigger fellow. Then you can always bring a crew if you want or take a hit for single handling. Not sure if you can find any 5.2's any more. It's fun running two sails I think just running one sail may be a bit boring but I know others will disagree- sorry A-Catters.
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 07/27/09 08:44 AM

I sail solo on a nacra 5.2 myself (my first own cat) and love having two sails. In fact, I'm planning to install a spin next year! The 5.2 without the jib bores me to death and has too much weather helm for my comfort, doesn't tack in waves as well by a long shot. Trim the mast forward and it gets a bit "jittery". I have a righting pole installed for very easy solo-righting. I'm almost 200 lbs though... Putting up the mast solo takes some planning but can be done. Usually someone else spots me and comes to help, so I have only raised the mast solo about two times! Most times I just pull the boat over on its side to work on the mast and fittings. The boat sails very well, but it is way too heavy to pull up our beach solo (and I am quite a strong guy If I do say so myself). As a consequence I now sail at a lake! You may want to bear that in mind.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 07/30/09 03:43 PM

I also like to single hand the G-Cat 5.7 but that can get out of control at times in the ocean with a Main, Jib, and Spin. I've ended up in the drink a few times usually from flying the hull to high cowboy’in for the tourist on the beach. The babes love it I usually make them buy me drinks when I hit the beach. So I can be a pig what can I say...? Many tourists worldwide have holiday pictures of my boat. I even had a Japanese couple get married next to it once.

I had a guy from New Jersey insist that he “rent me for the day”. Since we were both smoking fine cigars I guess he sensed a brotherhood. Told him I was not for rent didn’t stop him he went on. Told him this was what I did for fun, not for rent, he said everybody is for rent and went on for about a minute or five. Finally I pointed to the very fine lady next to him and said ok I’d like to rent her. He got the picture. Later he bought me a few drinks and I took them out we were friends for years, I’d see him on the beach during “season” and a new girl every couple of years. We both got older the girls never did. I haven’t seen him for some time but it always brings a smile to my face.

Got to love some of the people you meet sailing - the stories I could tell from my beach.
Posted By: dand

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 07/30/09 06:25 PM

I know Hobies dominate the cat world, but I've always enjoyed my Prindle 16. It is about 25 years old and still going. I no longer race, but when I did, only the best H-16 sailor could beat me single hand on the P-16 I also weigh 200#. Neat thing is, I can take novices out for fun on the P-16 as well.

dan
Posted By: yurd

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/05/09 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMe
I sail solo on a nacra 5.2 myself (my first own cat) and love having two sails. In fact, I'm planning to install a spin next year! The 5.2 without the jib bores me to death and has too much weather helm for my comfort, doesn't tack in waves as well by a long shot. Trim the mast forward and it gets a bit "jittery". I have a righting pole installed for very easy solo-righting. I'm almost 200 lbs though... Putting up the mast solo takes some planning but can be done. Usually someone else spots me and comes to help, so I have only raised the mast solo about two times! Most times I just pull the boat over on its side to work on the mast and fittings. The boat sails very well, but it is way too heavy to pull up our beach solo (and I am quite a strong guy If I do say so myself). As a consequence I now sail at a lake! You may want to bear that in mind.

How well does that righting pole work for you on the 5.2? I'm 195 give or take and looking for something quick and easy to right my 5.2 solo as I flip quite often.
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/05/09 07:43 AM

Works well enough for me. It is the lower half of an old carbon windsurfer mast. I made a mounting plate out of thick (approx. 3/16") aluminum strip from the local scrap yard and mounted the mast using the original windsurfer mast base (I ground off the downhaul pulleys) to the main beam. If I were to do it again I would probably just mount it to the dolphin striker where it goes through the beam. As it is now I have a limiter line so the pole will not get pinched by the Dolphin striker. The whole thing is set up to auto retract, even if still deployed. (it just misses the dagger boards) This helps if I flip in shallow water. It gives me so much leverage I can even pull the boat over using just my weight on land. (I can do that with the trapeze handle but I need enough grip in the soil to be able to pull outward as well as down.) I have been planning to do a demo video, but I need another volunteer for the camera and someone to discourage potential helpers!
One thing I can tell you, it sure is quick and easy, but I don't use it often. You may need to go for a mechanical type of mast base fitting. i have a diabolo rubber type and it is wearing out quickly. Mine was second hand and also very old, so that could be it. But it is a single point of failure.
Posted By: TurboCat

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/05/09 03:39 PM

Yurd,
Do you have problems righting your 5.2? I can right mine solo and i weigh in at 180lbs.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/05/09 06:24 PM

This is a picture back when I had hair and the 5.2 was a new boat. I use to right the boat by leaving the main tight but had a hold of the sheet. I'd stand at the end of the dagger boards holding the top one and point her into the wind.

Description: Flying A Hull just about the best thing thrill I know!
Attached picture scan0001.jpg
Posted By: yurd

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/06/09 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by TurboCat
Yurd,
Do you have problems righting your 5.2? I can right mine solo and i weigh in at 180lbs.

I haven't actually flipped the 5.2 that many times (yet). I flipped my P18 very often, but I haven't had the 5.2 very long. I flipped once and found out that nothing towards the top of the mast was sealed...took 3 of us to right it.

I've never tried standing on the daggers, though. I guess I'll try to right it alone before the end of the summer and see if I can do it, and go from there.

Re: Recommendations for single handed beach cat? - 08/06/09 06:04 AM

Yued,
Give it a shot on the dagger boards just make sure you don't drop the main sheet.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums