Catsailor.com

After World's Questions

Posted By: Bajan_Bum

After World's Questions - 07/20/09 01:18 PM

The F18 World's thread sure did die suddenly. But I have a few questions.

1. As rich as this country (USA) is, why do we only have 2 teams?
2. What does the US need to do to place higher?
3. What's the difference between Silver and Gold fleets?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 04:26 PM

1. The USA has lots of good F18 teams, but only 2 had the time off work and money to ship boats and travel over there.
2. They need to sail better.
3. There are a couple races at the beginning of the regatta and Gold/Silver is established based on the finishes there, Gold fleet being the finishers in the top half of the total fleet.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 04:29 PM

Tim said it all.

We only got three slots anyway - allocations are made based on each national class' membership count. NAF18 is pretty small, comparitively.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
1. The USA has lots of good F18 teams, but only 2 had the time off work and money to ship boats and travel over there.

I thought I had heard that some European teams were pro. Is it that tough to find sponsorship in the US? A company or companies willing to pay for all expenses?
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bajan_Bum

I thought I had heard that some European teams were pro. Is it that tough to find sponsorship in the US? A company or companies willing to pay for all expenses?

Chicken and egg problem...

Need to get good enough to get sponsers

Need sponsers money to get good enough....

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 06:18 PM

Is it that tough to find sponsorship in the US?

Yes.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 06:41 PM

If instead they were running a NASCAR race, no problem finding sponsors, but Sailing??

When is the last time you saw any catamarans racing on ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS? It's just not all that popular so that makes it very hard to go to any Big company and say, "Hey, if you front us about $50,000 we can put together a great boat and team, and go to Europe and...and...and people in Europe might see your name on our boat! Hu? No? Really? Hmmm...

You been watching the Tour deFrance? Name the American teams in it and who's on them...go ahead.

See? That's the problem.

And the TDF is ON TV every day, several times a day, on Versus network if you get it.

If you want big money to run a top notch program, you have to give your sponsor a reason to spend that money, that reason is "Exposure" ie. advertising via TV exposure. No TV = no exposure. How is he supposed to justify the expense if he's not getting anything back?

Posted By: Baltic

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 07:16 PM

As far as I know, the leading german team, brothers Helge & Christian Sach are not sponsered by anybody. They were sailing Capricorn till last year, and Christian told me that they have paid for it, possibly not full price, though. This year, they are on Infusion. I habe no information if they paid for the boat (in full) - but if so, that's it. As the other german teams they are just sailing for the fun of it ...

Kai

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 08:30 PM

I got your drift now. I never could understand the philosophy or psychology of big money in some of the sports today. I can understand Nascar (though I'm not a fan) and TDF (still not a fan), but there are several others that I won't pay $1 to watch.

Be that as it may, as in other sports, the cat builders might have to start diverting some revenues into some form of advertising to get more people at least interested in cat sailing. In my 26 years of living in the US, I can't recall seeing one cat builder advertising catamarans anywhere in mass media. Sea Ray created their own program "Port-o-Call", which aired on the Water Channel. And Larson made a commercial "Great American Boater" look like a TV program. I cannot even find the Hobie dealer at the boat show, and if I do, there are no catamarans there.

So in my opinion, the cat builders will have to take part of the blame for the inability to generate sponsorships. Without advertising, I doubt very much there are going to be increasing numbers of catamaran enthusiasts, racing or recreational, to increase the popularity of the sport ... at least in the US. There are just going to be us trading up and/or buying new ones when the current ones get old.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 08:41 PM

Ask John Casey about US sponsorship. He's spending his second season in the EU.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 09:56 PM

Wow, They are sponsoring him to go to the EU?

laugh

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 09:58 PM

It was the only way to get rid of him.
Posted By: Chris9

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 10:24 PM

Doesn't it take someting more than sponsor ship to be a pro? Like a t-shirt I thought?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/20/09 10:51 PM

I got your drift now. I never could understand the philosophy or psychology of big money in some of the sports today. I can understand Nascar (though I'm not a fan) and TDF (still not a fan), but there are several others that I won't pay $1 to watch.

Be that as it may, as in other sports, the cat builders might have to start diverting some revenues into some form of advertising to get more people at least interested in cat sailing. In my 26 years of living in the US, I can't recall seeing one cat builder advertising catamarans anywhere in mass media. Sea Ray created their own program "Port-o-Call", which aired on the Water Channel. And Larson made a commercial "Great American Boater" look like a TV program. I cannot even find the Hobie dealer at the boat show, and if I do, there are no catamarans there.

So in my opinion, the cat builders will have to take part of the blame for the inability to generate sponsorships. Without advertising, I doubt very much there are going to be increasing numbers of catamaran enthusiasts, racing or recreational, to increase the popularity of the sport ... at least in the US. There are just going to be us trading up and/or buying new ones when the current ones get old.

I agree and I have never understood why Hobie, Nacra and anyone else don't seem to advertise in all the outdoor sporting/camping/biking/hiking/kayaking/skateboard/Xgames, etc. type magazines. They only seem to advertise in the sailing magazines, which is preaching to the converted.

When I had my Nacra I wanted to buy a T shirt. None exist.

I wanted to buy a window sticker for my tow vehicle. None exist.

I wanted to buy a hat. None exist.

It's like they want to keep it top secret!

And the last Hobie dealer I talked to said he's selling just about 100% kayaks, Fishing Kayaks, not too many cats. So there you go.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 01:11 AM

And the last Hobie dealer I talked to said he's selling just about 100% kayaks, Fishing Kayaks, not too many cats. So there you go.

Its not just the dealers that will tell you that.
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 02:43 AM

The US sailors haven't been good travellers in general I have found. Always been under represented at the F18 worlds. Look at Australia for example in comparison. 6 teams and over half of those paid their own way, and the Aussie dollar is weaker than the US too.

Also the same with the A-Cats. In 2007 the US hosted a well-attended worlds with approx 60 boats from the US and 40 from other nations (rough numbers and 6 or 7 boats from Australia). Next worlds in Jan09 in Australia and similar number of total entries, but no US boats!
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chris9
Doesn't it take someting more than sponsor ship to be a pro? Like a t-shirt I thought?

Shoot, even my shop sponsors our "pro sailors" with t-shirts...

...accompanied by an invoice for $15.99+tax. grin

J

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Undecided

Its not just the dealers that will tell you that.

There are only a few of us hardcores (read: stupid) left that love sailing cats so much that we try to make our living primarily off of you sailors. Selling kayaks is sooooooooo much easier.

J
Posted By: Catfan

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:55 AM

Some info from the web site Catamaran Racing about the 2009 F18 Worlds:

OVERALL RESULTS
No Sailno Name Boat
1 NED 3 De Koning Coen, Visser Thijs Infusion
2 GBR 1111 Rob Wilson, Lynch Marcus Shockwave
3 GBR 1204 Styles Hugh, West Ferdinand Infusion
4 AUS 8 Ashby Glenn, Howden William Wildcat
5 NED 1202 Larsen Gunnar, Dubbeldam Infusion
6 FRA 94 Mourniac J, Guyader Wildcat
7 FRA 9 Vaireaux Moana, Petit R Wildcat
8 FRA 88 Fequet Loïc, Filippi Wildcat
9 FRA 111 Morvan François, Vandame Mathieu Shockwave
10 NED 1 Macpherson Andrew, Derckson Herbert Infusion
11 GER 203 Sach Helge, Sach Christian Infusion
12 NED 1164 Larsen Sascha, Van Helden Christa Infusion
13 AUS 145 Goodall Greg, Goodall Brett Capricorn
14 FRA 5 Sellier Thomas, Moreau Fred Diam 3
15 GBR 887 Gummer Stuart, Crawford Ryan Capricorn
16 NED 7 Heemskerk Mischa, Tentij Bastiaan Wildcat
17 FRA 1169 Besson Billy, Jarlegan Arneaud Infusion
18 AUS 1 Booth Taylor, Bernier Jacques Tiger
19 FRA 1 Vauchel Camus , Lagarrigue Jeremie Mattia F18
20 ITA 10 Sorrentino Vincenzo, Longhi Guido Wildcat

Top 20 Boats
Infusion 7
Wildcat 6
Shockwave 2
Capricorn 2
Tiger 1
Mattia 1
Diam 3 1

Crew weight (top 20)
from 350 lbs to 385 lbs (around 160 to 174 kg)

at 2:57 PM 0 comments
Posted By: pepin

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 10:24 AM

A quick per country analysis. From the top 20:

7 FRA
5 NED
3 GBR
3 AUS
1 GER
1 ITA

I'm impressed by the AUS results: Placing 3 of 7 in the top 20 is quite a good result (42%). A better result than the 7 out of 27 FRA (25%) or the abysmal 5 out of 37 NED (13%).

And not a BEL in sight, considering it was on their home water and that there was 34 BEL teams, quite a disappointment.

I guess the farthest the race is from your home country, the better the sailors become. Except for the US obviously smile

Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 10:52 AM

Macca in 10th is a Skip also.

AUS are very strong in Catamaran and Skiff sailing.

The A Class fleet we are probably the strongest with 4 out of the top 10 being skips most years. An AUS championship can have a feel and quality of a Worlds.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by pepin

Top 20 Boats
Infusion 7
Wildcat 6
Shockwave 2
Capricorn 2
Tiger 1
Mattia 1
Diam 3 1

Is the Tiger losing its popularity? I'm amazed at how many Wildcats were in the race, considering its short life on the water.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 01:17 PM

Most of the serious racing teams switched to Wildcats this year, thats why it dropped of the list.
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 02:20 PM

What's the deal with broken masts and daggerboards I heard rumors about?
What kind of boats?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 03:13 PM

All types, even a Tiger, broke a mast. Nobody's invulnerable - in big air, if the main is off and the 'chute is up, you're asking for a tow.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 03:30 PM

Top 20 Boats
Infusion 7
Wildcat 6
Shockwave 2
Capricorn 2
Tiger 1
Mattia 1
Diam 3 1

Is the Tiger losing its popularity? I'm amazed at how many Wildcats were in the race, considering its short life on the water.

Remember the event was in Europe. It's really hard to compare what's going there compared to the U.S. as far as sailing. I would go as far as to say it's apples and oranges.

J
Posted By: brucat

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 03:42 PM

Jeremy, if you make XXL t-shirts, send me two. I keep buying new H16s every few years, so I'm doing my part to keep some fiberglass coming out of CA...

What would the F18 Worlds look like if it were held in the USA? Would we reach a registration cap? Would a ton of boats from EU show up?

Mike
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 04:04 PM

Gummer/Crawford were on a Shockwave

Originally Posted by Catfan
Some info from the web site Catamaran Racing about the 2009 F18 Worlds:

OVERALL RESULTS
No Sailno Name Boat
1 NED 3 De Koning Coen, Visser Thijs Infusion
2 GBR 1111 Rob Wilson, Lynch Marcus Shockwave
3 GBR 1204 Styles Hugh, West Ferdinand Infusion
4 AUS 8 Ashby Glenn, Howden William Wildcat
5 NED 1202 Larsen Gunnar, Dubbeldam Infusion
6 FRA 94 Mourniac J, Guyader Wildcat
7 FRA 9 Vaireaux Moana, Petit R Wildcat
8 FRA 88 Fequet Loïc, Filippi Wildcat
9 FRA 111 Morvan François, Vandame Mathieu Shockwave
10 NED 1 Macpherson Andrew, Derckson Herbert Infusion
11 GER 203 Sach Helge, Sach Christian Infusion
12 NED 1164 Larsen Sascha, Van Helden Christa Infusion
13 AUS 145 Goodall Greg, Goodall Brett Capricorn
14 FRA 5 Sellier Thomas, Moreau Fred Diam 3
15 GBR 887 Gummer Stuart, Crawford Ryan Capricorn
16 NED 7 Heemskerk Mischa, Tentij Bastiaan Wildcat
17 FRA 1169 Besson Billy, Jarlegan Arneaud Infusion
18 AUS 1 Booth Taylor, Bernier Jacques Tiger
19 FRA 1 Vauchel Camus , Lagarrigue Jeremie Mattia F18
20 ITA 10 Sorrentino Vincenzo, Longhi Guido Wildcat

Top 20 Boats
Infusion 7
Wildcat 6
Shockwave 2
Capricorn 2
Tiger 1
Mattia 1
Diam 3 1

Crew weight (top 20)
from 350 lbs to 385 lbs (around 160 to 174 kg)

at 2:57 PM 0 comments
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail
What's the deal with broken masts and daggerboards I heard rumors about?
What kind of boats?

A combination of things;

A huge amount of tide running against the wind
Shallow water [ Boats won't invert]
A race committee keeping racing going in stupid winds because they are behind on the schedule and are being forced to get the races in.

180 boats - 1 course - too many!

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 04:19 PM

Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

I agree that 180 boats on one circle, with a 50-minute target, makes for tight conditions.

But, how does the tide opposite wind break masts, and more importantly, daggerboards?

I can see your point if large, confused seas caused a lot of capsizes that would lead to broken masts, but how were the daggerboards being broken? Was the water THAT shallow?

Mike

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

What would the F18 Worlds look like if it were held in the USA? Would we reach a registration cap? Would a ton of boats from EU show up?
Mike

Mike, As an indicator of how that might go down, The Tiger Worlds in Santa Barbara in 2005 we had close to 100 boats show up- alot of European teams. There were something around 35 US teams.

http://www.hobieworlds.com/tiger2005/results/tigerworlds_overall.html

I bet if you held an F18 event with the same parameters as the Tiger event in Santa Barbara you'd see more boats now. Things have matured a bit over the last 4 years as far as F18s are concerned.

J
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 05:50 PM

A quick per country analysis. From the top 20:

7 FRA
5 NED
3 GBR
3 AUS
1 GER
1 ITA

I'm impressed by the AUS results: Placing 3 of 7 in the top 20 is quite a good result (42%). A better result than the 7 out of 27 FRA (25%) or the abysmal 5 out of 37 NED (13%).

And not a BEL in sight, considering it was on their home water and that there was 34 BEL teams, quite a disappointment.

I guess the farthest the race is from your home country, the better the sailors become. Except for the US obviously smile

First class comment douche

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by DUH

Uh Oh. That didn't get ME very far last time I threw it out there. grin

[Linked Image]

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 06:55 PM

Uh Oh. That didn't get ME very far last time I threw it out there.

JC has bigger muscles.
Posted By: CatSailingHu

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:28 PM

There was a Tiger (2004) on the beach with broken mast. The mast was broken just above the point where diamond wires attached.

The guy told me he went in downwind without kite, he made a jibe near to the gate. The mast was broken at the moment the main went to the other side. So I think it just happened, nothing to do with the current, timing or the number of the boats. Only the strong wind and the stupid waves, or boat handling. Or the mast was damaged at a previous capsize...

jibing without kite was really risky there

- with lose main you can easily overload the mast
- with closed main you need to make the jibe really precisely, what was not possible because of the waves

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:40 PM

I've seen all the other boats but never heard of the Shockwave, who makes it? Are there any in the USA?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:42 PM

Shockwave is the same maker as that 16 footer in the "What did you do on the weekend?" video :P

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:47 PM

Thanks, does it look like a bigger version of that boat? Kind of the way the Cap looks like a big Viper (or Viper looks like a small Cap if you prefer).
Posted By: tshan

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:48 PM

I've seen all the other boats but never heard of the Shockwave, who makes it? Are there any in the USA?

The Spitfire's big brother. Not that I've seen, but I don't get around much.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:51 PM

I've actually sailed on a Spitfire! All thanks to Dermot in Dublin! (Thanks again Dermot!)

I liked the Spitfire design, big round hulls with lots of volume, is the Shockwave designed like that?
Posted By: F18arg

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:54 PM

The Shockwave as pointed the big brother of the spitfire, designed by Ives Loday and Reg White, both Tornado legends, designers of the Vx40, check the VX40 again and you´ll see the distinctive bow shape. They also built the F18 Dart Hawk and the Dart 16 and the list goes on...
http://www.swell-catamarans.co.uk/
http://www.swell-catamarans.com

Posted By: David Ingram

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:55 PM

I've actually sailed on a Spitfire! All thanks to Dermot in Dublin! (Thanks again Dermot!)

I liked the Spitfire design, big round hulls with lots of volume, is the Shockwave designed like that?

http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/2009/06/lodaywhite-shockwave.html

2 seconds in google and 1.98 of it was spent typing in "shockwave catamaran"

Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:56 PM

Here you go Timbo: http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/search/label/Shockwave
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:57 PM

Up against the Spitfire its simply huuuuuuuge. Up against the Hobie Wildwind its still huuuge, big big volume well forward. smile
Posted By: Robi

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 07:58 PM

Hey Tim here is a link:

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:07 PM

Were the broken masts carbon or aluminum?

Sucks that you can break a mast just by gybing technique (or lack thereof).

OTOH, I watched a guy destroy a mast on a Melges 24 before putting in the water for a 3-day regatta last weekend. Caught some rigging on the hoist, and pulled the boat/trailer forward (still not sure why). Broke the CF mast and boom, no sailing for them.

Mike

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:10 PM

Hey Tim, I found a link for you on the Shockwave:

:P

No carbon masts allowed in F18 IIRC.
Posted By: F18arg

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:11 PM

All Alu masts, F18 rule.
30knots and huge waves, not strange at all, it was survival conditions they've told me.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:15 PM

JC has bigger muscles.

Absolutely. People would be surprised to find out who knows who in this world of cat sailing. It's an incestuous bunch I tell ya.
J

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

JC has bigger muscles.

Absolutely. People would be surprised to find out who knows who in this world of cat sailing. It's an incestuous bunch I tell ya.
J

I donno what you're talking about, but JC's shoulders are the size of bowling balls.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by F18arg
All Alu masts, F18 rule.
30knots and huge waves, not strange at all, it was survival conditions they've told me.

Good point. Anyone with the cahones to even attempt racing with a chute in 30 knots probably needs to have their heads examined...

Mike
Posted By: Matt M

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 08:43 PM

All Alu masts, F18 rule.

Good point. Anyone with the cahones to even attempt racing with a chute in 30 knots probably needs to have their heads examined...

Mike

I raced just up the coast from there in those kind of conditions. Shallow water big current and huge steep waves that are very close together all with cold gusty wind. Went swimming a lot as that was not anything I had ever seen even close to before that.

It is racing though and this was the World championship. If the guy ahead or behind of you puts up his chute you have to follow. If he does not go over you were not going to beat him anyway. If he does go over, you can douse it after you pass him up. laugh

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:03 PM

I know, it's just insane is all...

I guess I have a different tactic for survival mode. Just keep the pointy end up, you'll at least beat the boats that explode...

Mike

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
All Alu masts, F18 rule.

Mike

I raced just up the coast from there in those kind of conditions. Shallow water big current and huge steep waves that are very close together all with cold gusty wind. Went swimming a lot as that was not anything I had ever seen even close to before that.

It is racing though and this was the World championship. If the guy ahead or behind of you puts up his chute you have to follow. If he does not go over you were not going to beat him anyway. If he does go over, you can douse it after you pass him up. laugh

In this conditions easier to sail downwind with kite than without. The wind direction was changed so if you were on the wrong side of the field you have to go to the gate without kite.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the links guys, much appreciated. Looks like they had quite a good time!

And as Matt points out, sailing over there is -not- like sailig over here. More wind, more waves, and the locals are used to sailing in it.

I'm guessing there probably isn't a US based Race Committee that would have sent the fleet out in 30 knot winds!
Posted By: US5352

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:12 PM

Did any of the teams in the Worlds sail with the smaller sail plan? If so, how did they fare?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:15 PM

I have not seen any teams with small sail plan.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:28 PM

I'm guessing there probably isn't a US based Race Committee that would have sent the fleet out in 30 knot winds!

...And that would be an incorrect guess. Although, normally, no one but the top third of the H16 fleet wants to be out in those conditions (you read that correctly, no other boats), and they're not afraid to tell you that.

Mike
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:32 PM

Last week 2 guys argued with me here on catsailor that they were out in 30-40 KNOTS and I called them on it. They both held to thier story and I started to wonder if I was a wus.(no comment Tad or Todd!) Maybe thier story wasnt exactly accurate....
Ive been in a monohull when it was blowing 30, and it was rediculous. No way a cat could survive for very long in that. And yes, no RC would send them out in todays litigation hungry world.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:34 PM

H16 sailors are crazy anyway smile

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:35 PM

No easy way to say this, but you obviously haven't been to a Hobie NAs in the past 10 years (or 4 days)...

Mike

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 09:44 PM

Dont own a Hobie Mike
I see the NA's happening now with big wind, but nothing in the 30 knot range that I can see.

IMHO(Im not a H16 sailor)
20 knots is rough enough, 30 survival, 30 plus...stupid
http://kingstonyachtclub.com/Wind/

Re: After World's Questions - 07/21/09 10:12 PM

The kids and women used up all the big wind in Kingston (so far).

I personally don't like to race in more than 20 knots (getting to old?), but there are those that do.

As a PRO, with the proper resources, I have absolutely no problem running races in big wind.

Mike
Posted By: pepin

Re: After World's Questions - 07/22/09 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DUH
A quick per country analysis. [...]

And your comment is really informative, documented and expose to everyone how mature and respectful you can be.

Dude, go back to SA, that's where you belong.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/22/09 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DUH
A quick per country analysis. [...]

And your comment is really informative, documented and expose to everyone how mature and respectful you can be.

Dude, go back to SA, that's where you belong.

Everyone can tell you I can be much more disrespectful than that! I'm just calling it like it is. This isn't Her Majesty's Army and I doubt some moistened bint threw a scimitar at you for you to weild supreme executive interweb power, so I won't go into Catsailor exile.

With my last post, now you know how it feels to be disrespected by a post on a PUBLIC forum. The fact is, you couldn't have possibly been on all the boats at Worlds, so you don't know the cicumstances for performance. With that said, maybe I'll see you at your Nationals and we'll have a good chuckle. Remember, more people than you read what you type on your screen.
F
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 05:22 AM

DUH: Why did you think it was a "douche" comment?
He said that it was disappointing that the Belgiums where not in the top 20,
I think they would actually agree with him since they where doing so well in the qualifiers.
Or was it something else he said?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 06:08 AM

I think JC took umbrage with the "except the US" bit... but I'm just guessin'. ;-)
Posted By: pgp

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 12:18 PM

How about an eye witness report? Clearly the sailing was rough, how was the beer? Any hot chicks?

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
How about an eye witness report? Clearly the sailing was rough, how was the beer? Any hot chicks?

FINALLY, we get down to the important stuff!!!

Thanks Pete
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DUH
[I doubt some moistened bint threw a scimitar at you for you to weild supreme executive interweb power,

[Linked Image]

Best movie...ever

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

[Linked Image]

Are those the Nights that say "Ni"
Or
The the Nights that say "Ecky-ecky-ecky- ecky-pikang-zoom-boing-mumble-mumble. ..."
Posted By: Dermot

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 08:58 PM

The Shockwave as pointed the big brother of the spitfire, designed by Ives Loday and Reg White, both Tornado legends, designers of the Vx40, check the VX40 again and you´ll see the distinctive bow shape. They also built the F18 Dart Hawk and the Dart 16 and the list goes on...
http://www.swell-catamarans.co.uk/
http://www.swell-catamarans.com

Close enough - It was actually Yves and Robert White, Reg has finally retired. Robert is a Tornado World Champion.
I saw the Shockwave in Brightlingsea, it is indeed like a very large Spitfire. Tim, you should have asked the Irish Agent grin.
PS Add the Shadow, SL16, Topper Topaz 14 & 16 to that list.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 09:11 PM

Well I sure did like your Spitfire, I'm sure I'd like the Shockwave and I'd love to give your Shadow a try!

How's your summer going? Warm and windy or wet with no wind? And the cruising cat, how's she doing?

It's been 94F every day here with very little wind. Overnight low's are about 80...too damn hot.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 09:31 PM

t was 87* at 8:10 this mornig when i walked my dog -damn hot
Posted By: Dermot

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 09:38 PM

Well I sure did like your Spitfire, I'm sure I'd like the Shockwave and I'd love to give your Shadow a try!

How's your summer going? Warm and windy or wet with no wind? And the cruising cat, how's she doing?

It's been 94F every day here with very little wind. Overnight low's are about 80...too damn hot.

We got near 80 in early June. Now it's down to wet, windy, 60 to 70, when the sun comes out. The high pressure has moved back to the continent and the lows are rolling in off the Atlantic.
The work on the Iroquois (cruising cat) is going well. We have had some weekends on board, with some light wind sailing - or purring along on the electric motors. Marjorie is slowly taking to it cool. I hope that you are feeling better.

Re: After World's Questions - 07/23/09 10:41 PM

Thanks Dermot. I feel pretty good but the FAA won't let me go back to flying for quite a while. I'm sure as soon as the weather cools off and the wind comes back they will sign me off to go back to work though.

Glad to hear Marjorie is taking to it. Would -more wine- help? ;^)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums