Catsailor.com

what kind of boat do I have??

Posted By: beeno

what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/22/09 10:48 PM

Hi, My neighbor gave me this cat and I dont have a clue what kind it is.. That being said I dont have a clue about sailing either, I have never been on a sailboat in my life. Anyways can anyone tell me what kind of boat it is and around what year?

Attached picture snc00248i.jpg
Attached picture SNC00244.jpg
Posted By: Timbo

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/22/09 10:52 PM

What country is the boat from? It looks like an old Aqua Cat (a US boat) to me, but I'm no expert on old Aqua Cats.

Also, do you have the sails? They might have an emblem on them somewhere that will help identify it.

Welcome to Catsailor, you came to the right place, someone here will know what it is.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/22/09 10:55 PM

Its from the US as far as I know. Thanks I'll look up some pictures of some aqua cats

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/22/09 10:57 PM

I dont have the sails right now. The ladys son has the sails and is suppose to bring them over sometime within the next few days
Posted By: FasterDamnit

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/22/09 11:58 PM

Looks like Venture Cat 15.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:07 AM

i looked up the venture cat and I think you may be right thanks
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:21 AM

There must be two distinct styles of Venture 15 then, 'cause I had one that had noticable pylons molded into the hulls to rais the tramp, much more rocker, and a forward crossbeam at the bows.

Dave
Posted By: mbounds

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:34 AM

It's not a Venture Cat.

At first, I though it might be a Trac 16, but it's not that, either.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:35 AM

like this one?
This is the one that looks like the one that was given to me. venture 15

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:36 AM

It didnt link it to the pictures sorry
Posted By: mbounds

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:44 AM

I was thinking Venture 16.

You're right - it looks like a Venture 15.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:45 AM

The blue one is the one I think your talking about. The white one looks like mine the best I can tell

Attached picture 01-1.jpg
Attached picture heinmaa6.jpg
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:46 AM

There are pics in the 'old ads' section of that website.

Can you say 'project'? You may enjoy rehabbing and fabricating that 'ol boat.

Have fun and good luck, and come back here often.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:47 AM

Thanks guys for helping me figure that out. What the best place to buy a new trampoline?

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:52 AM

I should have taken pictures of the boat before I spend 8 hours cleaning it up. It had tree liken growing all over it. I was very surprised to see how well it cleaned up. I just have to figure out a way to get old decals and the glue off of it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 02:18 AM

there are lots of places to get custom tramps made. I use Sunrise Yacht Products at http://www.multihullnets.com The quality is superb.. but they are expensive and slow... smile

BUT i (personally) would make sure you are ready for what looks like a very large project before i would suggest you pay a deposit on a tramp. I would price out everything and make sure you are ready... and willing...

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 02:54 AM

sorry for sounding stupid or naive but I don't really see what's so large lol... all the rigging besides the ropes are in surprisingly good shape. I haven't seen the sails yet so who knows about those.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 03:15 AM

I think he was talking about a large $,$$$ investment. A new tramp could set you back about $350 plus or minus a $100, depending on what you get and where. If you need new sails, that will set you back about $250 for the small one (the Jib) and about $700-1,000 for the big one, again, depending on what you get, new vs. used (I doubt you'll find suitable used sails for it, pretty rare) and if you get dacron vs. mylar sails, etc. It would be nice if the sails that you get are still in good shape, that will save you quite a bit of money.

Then there are the rudders...what shape are they in? Do they need any parts? Good luck finding any.

What about the mainsheet blocks? Did they come with the boat or are they lost in the back of some garage? You can't sail it without those and they are not cheap to buy new.

Then there is the trailor, is there one? Or none? A new cat trailor will set you back about $350-500. So you could be looking at about $2,000 in "stuff" to get it out sailing. If instead, everything is included and useable, rudders, sails, all lines, blocks, trailor, etc. you might be able to just wash it and go sailing.

When people offer me "free" boats, there is usually a reason, they usually need a lot of work and/or money to be sailing again. I hope that is not the case with your boat and you can get out sailing on it asap.

BUT, you also said you have no idea how to sail, so what you need to do right away is get to the local library and take out a "Learn to Sail" type book, read it, twice, then start asking more questions here. There may be an experienced cat sailor in your area who can help get you started. One day with someone who knows what they are doing will get you started and on your way. If you instead try to -go it alone- please wear a life jacket and do NOT go out if there are whitecaps on the water. Light to medium wind is much easier to deal with until you learn how to sail and control the boat in the big gusts.

I don't know where Hixon, TX is but there are quite a few cat racers here who do live in TX so maybe one of them is near to you and can get you going in the right direction.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 03:28 AM

Great safety advice-

but why people think you have to go buy new sails for a rebuild project like this is beyond me.

If your sails are not serviceable you can possibly have them repaired by a good sailmaker at a fraction of the cost of new.

If that is out- measure the length of your mast and look around sites like this or ebay for used sails from other cats. Hobie stuff is always around. For learning to sail and just having fun, you do not need new sails. Same for rudders. Plenty of people here to help guide you with bringing the boat back to life.

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 03:46 AM

She gave me the boat because it belonged to her grandson before he passed away. Its been just sitting there since that happened so im guessing shes just tired of seeing it sitting behind her house.. A trailer wont be needed we live on he lake so it will stay around the water. Im hoping the sails are usable. My other neighbor came over and looked at it after i cleaned it up and said it looked like everything was there as far as rigging go's but said he would bring his girlfriend over to look and see ( apparently she has been sailing a hobie for years).. He also said he would get me a number for a guy who does sails in case their in bad shape. So I think I came out of this deal pretty good.... hopefully

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 03:48 AM

Good pics here- http://www.minresco.com/v15/ownerspages/heinmaa/heinmaa.htm

What it should look like-

[Linked Image]

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 04:10 AM

hopefully it will not to long from now lol. Im going to be working on getting it ready to sail when im not working
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 09:38 AM

Beeno, just ask someone to take you sailing so they can "show you the ropes" as it were. Check out a club or maybe ask the neigbor's Hobie girl to teach you. That way it will be a lot easier to understand any sailing book you may get.
Most of the (Non A cat) members of my club would be happy to take a perfect stranger out sailing.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: what kind of boat do I have?? - 07/23/09 01:31 PM

Beeno, i didn't mean to suggest this was an obsticle that couldnt be handled... but as Timbo said,... it's rare that someone gives away a 100% working boat.

this could be an exception, and we all hope you get out on it soon, and enjoy it. It's great you have a hobie sailor to help you out...

I would suggest you be sure to inspect the standing rigging (side and front stays) VERY well.. if it has been stored for a few years... it may be ok.. may not.. If it is coated in plastic... i would strip it off and make sure its not rusted underneath...

IF IN DOUBT.. REPLACE IT..
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums