Catsailor.com

TMS-20 You can see the shape now!

Posted By: TheManShed

TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/29/09 04:28 AM

The foam is almost done for this side of the main hull. I have a one-foot tail section to build that narrows into a finer shape. The foam did not want to flow into that shape so I'm adding it on this week-end or so. I'm bogging the inside with West System Epoxy mixed with 407 powder. There is a lot of sanding to fair it out but 60 grit cuts pretty good. The fairing will allow the Carbon Fiber to have a smooth surface to bond against. I've been busy trying to get the inside laminate done in the next 14 days. More postings on the web site of the foamed up shape follow the link below.

Website for more pictures Pages 12-14
http://themanshed.net/tms-20-trimaran/foam/?g2_page=12

Mike

Description: Bow view
Attached picture P1010018.JPG

Description: Stern view - Love the shape about 2 foot tall
Attached picture P1010040.JPG

Description: Side view notice the chine
Attached picture P1010044.JPG
Posted By: CaptainKirt

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/29/09 06:28 AM

Mike-
Nice looking boat and I like the shed- I have one like it but being further north I had to enclose my "ends"- considering "foaming" it also to insulate.

Kirt

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 03:10 PM

Kirt,
I think about putting ends on the shed every Hurricane Season or when I paint the rest of the time it's better ventilation when working with the chemicals and in the heat.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 04:12 PM

Sweet !
Way to go Mike. That looks great.
Here's my project as of late.
Todd

Attached picture DSCN0063 (Small).JPG
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 04:42 PM

Todd,

I think you're missing an important piece or two :P

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 05:24 PM

Todd what ya' working on? Don't worry about missing parts that the fun stuff ;-) Hauler on down to the shed!

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Todd,

That is funny but on the starboard side in the surf it will be dry!

Let them laugh, let them cry we are having fun boys and our toys!

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Todd,

More incentive to keep the hull flying.

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheManShed
Todd what ya' working on? Don't worry about missing parts that the fun stuff ;-) Hauler on down to the shed!

It's a Farrier Trailertri 720. Sort of the fore runner of the F-24. It was built in a shop in Canada in 1985. Unfortunately ,I haven't come up with an affordable dry storage program and the rain is causing enough problems to keep me hustling to stay ahead of more work. I sailed it last year for a couple of weeks, which now makes the work worthwhile. That whole missing side started with the pic below.That hole was about an inch by an inch. I think it was a repair with sub standard marine ply, and the ply delaminated. Goes to show ,if you go looking for trouble you'll find it.
Todd

Attached picture DSCN0062 (Small).JPG
Posted By: BoK

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 06:13 PM

If yer lookin' for dry storage. We've got plenty of it in Austin. Hell, even the bottom of Lake Travis is getting dry.

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by TheManShed

It's a Farrier Trailertri 720. Sort of the fore runner of the F-24. It was built in a shop in Canada in 1985. Unfortunately ,I haven't come up with an affordable dry storage program and the rain is causing enough problems to keep me hustling to stay ahead of more work. I sailed it last year for a couple of weeks, which now makes the work worthwhile. That whole missing side started with the pic below.That hole was about an inch by an inch. I think it was a repair with sub standard marine ply, and the ply delaminated. Goes to show ,if you go looking for trouble you'll find it.
Todd
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Here's my project as of late. Todd

That is the COOLEST shoe storage i have ever seen!!!

Re: TMS-20 You can see the shape now! - 07/30/09 10:59 PM

Todd,

I've made holes like that before. Some times you need a trap door!

I've looked at the Farrier Trailertri 720 design before. Nice pocket tri. To put things in perspective just think the TMS-20 obviously has less accommodations like butt and beer room only but it is only 3 1/2 feet shorter LOA, the beam is 8 inches wider, and is 1200 lbs less.

Two different design ideas but as saying goes there is only one kind of a boat a cat; but there is 1/2 a cat and a cat and a ½ also! I hope the Americas Cup brings more attention to trimarans.

Good luck with the project post some pictures!

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums