Catsailor.com

Black Anodizing

Posted By: brucat

Black Anodizing - 08/11/09 07:07 PM

Any good ideas on how to restore faded black anodizing?

My 2006 H16 is practically brand new (hardly ever used since having a baby), but the black crossbars look like an 80s beach boat from sitting out in the sun for the past 3 years.

As an aside, I don't recall the black anodizing on my last two boats looking this bad when I sold them (at 4 and 5 years old, respectively).

Mike
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/11/09 08:01 PM

re-anno'ing aluminum is a difficult process since the treatment is actually a chemical process. you could powdercoat them, or paint them, but both add un-wanted weight.

Considering the amount of heat that black aluminum absorbs, I'm surprised that manufacturers do that.

Clear anno protects the metal and keeps it nice and cool.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/11/09 08:06 PM

nothing like holding on to a 70lb mast that is burning your hands!!!
Posted By: popeyez7

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/11/09 10:16 PM

When I re-did my 2 Hobies, I bought black epoxy paint~~ regular spray can size from Ace hdw. I think it's like refridg. paint....... looks good !!
Posted By: Got Wood

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/11/09 11:29 PM

My first call would be Powdercoating. Second call Paint.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 01:36 AM

I once tried to re-anodize the beams on my H-20, it was just barely OK not like new. See above for alternatives.....
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 02:04 AM

There are places that do really good anodizing, but in small batches it isn't cheap unless they can sneak it in with another batch. If they do military grade stuff its a good sign.
Posted By: catman

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 08:02 AM

You can try Penetrol for making them look good again. Wipe two or three coats on about 24 hrs. between coats. It will eventually start to flake off after about a year then just pressure spray and re coat.

A guy here has a 89 H-18 and he wipes all of the metal down with it. Looking at it you'd think metal was all new.

You can find it in the paint dept at Home Depot.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by catman
You can try Penetrol

3am post Mike? you must be going to bed around 6pm these days.. smile

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 02:40 PM

I think someone's clock is off. It shows 6:02 am here which is about right.

Thanks for pointing that out though. (:P
Posted By: brucat

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 04:57 PM

Thanks guys. I'm definitely not painting or re-anodizing, was looking for other ideas, I should have clarified.

Isn't Penetrol just a cleaner? I've heard of that before.

Mike
Posted By: TurboCat

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 05:47 PM

Penetrol is actually a addative for paint that makes it flow out easier.
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 09:02 PM

There is more than one type of Penetrol, one is for fiberglass restoration, I have used it on faded tramps, and faded, colored hulls (doesn't work very well on white hulls)
with good results

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 11:42 PM

Like was said helps flow out for paint,varnish. If you use it like I said it will act the way armorall does for plastic,tires etc. The difference is this stuff will dry and not wash off. The stuff is cheap and worth trying before spending a bunch of cash refinishing or whatever. Try a small area and see if it works. If you scratch it just wipe more on. Like paint though you want to do it on a windless day to keep stuff sticking to it.

I just used it on a old clear anodized Bimini frame that was clouded. Wiped it with Penetrol and it looks nice and has a shine.

There's only two types that I've seen. I found both at depot. Regular and Marine Penetrol. Recently I tried to find the marine version and it's no where to be found. I think it's all the same stuff.

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/12/09 11:46 PM

PENETROL

A quart is plenty.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/13/09 01:43 AM

I use flowtrol for latex paints, will that work?
Posted By: ncik

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/13/09 02:15 AM

Anodizing shouldn't "flake" off. It is part of the oxide layer on the aluminium and can only really be removed mechanically or chemically.

I suspect it is paint or powder coating if it is flaking off. Probably not applied correctly (grind, acid wash, primer, etc.) if it is only 3 years old.

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/13/09 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by arbo06
I use flowtrol for latex paints, will that work?

Additive for latex, not the same.

Re: Black Anodizing - 08/13/09 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ncik
Anodizing shouldn't "flake" off. It is part of the oxide layer on the aluminium and can only really be removed mechanically or chemically.

I suspect it is paint or powder coating if it is flaking off. Probably not applied correctly (grind, acid wash, primer, etc.) if it is only 3 years old.

I think he said it was fading. It happens. If you read up on anodizing they just add a dye for the color and like most things there are high and low quality products. The sun is pretty tough to beat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums