Catsailor.com

bridle Nacra F18 repair

Posted By: CatclubZeeland

bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 09:45 PM

Hi, i have a problem with my hull. The bridle pops almost out of the hull. There are a few cracks round the bridle in the hull. I dont sail now anymore because the construction is not strong enough anymore. My boat is build in 2004. I dont know how it is possible but it seems the construction of the bridle is very bad. Is there anybody who can give me advice how to repair this. I heard that there is an aluminium plate at the inside of the hull.That plate is laminated in the polyester. Some pictures will help me a lot. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: sbflyer

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 09:47 PM

This won't be much help, but...Yikes!

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 09:51 PM

It is bad. But i dont think this is normal , the cat is just 5 years old!!! I have had lots of other (and older) catamarans. But never had this problem. I heard from clubmembers that this happens more to the Nacra F18. Maybe a constructionfault?
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 10:19 PM

Didn't Performance offer a five year guarantee on this boat?
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 10:56 PM

They do to the original owner. A BRAND NEW INFUSION had a bridal tang pull out on the first time out sailing. It pulled completely out and dropped the whole rig. Gotta love that cheap south of the border craftsmanship.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/26/09 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
They do to the original owner. A BRAND NEW INFUSION had a bridal tang pull out on the first time out sailing. It pulled completely out and dropped the whole rig. Gotta love that cheap south of the border craftsmanship.

Senior, u hit de rcok, Hose' fix de boat si!
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 04:08 AM

Have you spoken to Nacra? They will advise you.

the deck will need to be chiseled off and a repair made inside the hull

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 03:16 PM

I called Nacra Europe, where i bought my boat 2 years ago, 3 times and they dont reply on my call. They simply dont call back... So a friend of my called Hobiecat Holland. And guess what: they call back, gave me very good tips and advice on how to repair the damaged bridle. I can even call them when i am doing the repair and i need some advice! That is very good service! So, i will not buy my next boat at Nacra Europe but at Hobiecat Holland. This weekend i start repairing the hull(s). I let you know how it is gone. Thanks for all reply's!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 04:42 PM

wow... thats crazy, i just don't understand poor customer service..

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 05:53 PM

Did you forget to pay for the boat or something like that to upset them?
Posted By: Buzz258

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 08:05 PM

Does Nacra Europe manufacture boats? I know Nacra USA sends a lot of boats to Europe.
Buzz
Posted By: Buzz258

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/27/09 08:08 PM

Does Nacra Europe manufacture boats? I know Nacra USA ships a lot of boats to Europe.
Buzz
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/28/09 04:22 AM

You will want to cut a hole in the hull on the side of the hull to make the repair from the inside then glue the hole back in place. Cut the hole on the side of hull that faces inward.

Another thing would be to put a port hole near the area to work through but I’m not sure if one would fit or if you could reach the area.

Make sure you use West System Epoxy don’t bother making repairs in polyester resins and bondo they will not last or be strong. Look at the plate to see if it corroded away. Once it is fixed and beefed up from the inside then you can repair the outside.

Make sure you sand and scuff the area really good and get it clean so the epoxy will stick. You will want to flip the hull so you are laying the glass on a flat horizontal area and not overhead.

Here is an example of the type of repair. I used some bondo as a filler and it swelled and popped, I ground it out and used West System epoxy with 410 powder it will take a little more sanding because it is harder but it will not absorb moisture.

http://themanshed.net/archived-projects/g-cat-catamaran/?g2_page=3
Posted By: Jake

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/28/09 11:53 AM

Mike,

This boat has deck plates over that area - so he can pop the deck plates out.

With regards to Bondo, I hear that all the time and I guess there is a difference in the way I use it. I fill the repair with fiberglass and resin and only use bondo for small minor filling.
Posted By: pgp

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/28/09 12:37 PM

+1 No problems so far.

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/28/09 11:45 PM

Hey Jake,
I used Bondo for years but I don't any more. If you are working in polyester bondo is great. I've had it swell in older repairs and most likely only visible to the discerning eye. But until I go blind I always look at the side angle - bad habit.

I’m so happy with the West System that I’d never use Bondo again or do repairs in polyester.

Deck Plates are great they make repair work easy. I had problems with my Nacra 5.2 as it was fragile, and I must add abused and sailed very hard by a big man. It was the early years I went through a few deck plates, a bulkhead, and was holed by the heel of a hobie 16 sailor. It was the mid 70’s when hobies ruled and a new kid on the block - Vietnam era vet, with a new boat – radically different design blew the reigning salty dog away. The Nacra’s were bleeders, light, and wicked fast around the marks. I really loved that Nacra 5.2!

Once they knew I was not a flash in the pan I was told who holed my boat later in my first season and had the chance to blow by his stern flying a hull with my dagger board at de-cap level. He never saw me coming until I passed him. After the race on the shore he rushed me saying I could have hurt somebody acting all huffy to my 25 years younger and 6 month out of the military (not quite tame yet) I agreed with him smiled a evil grin and softly kick my boat where he had holed it earlier in the season. By the look on his face we had an immediate understanding and he fully understood my point - Very polite man after our understanding. Well that was my first boat repair job, totally uncalled for but look where it has lead. By the way I have never owned a hobie.

But this was the MidWest in the 70's and things were very home town, clickish, and there was a pecking order. I just didn't pay that game after being in the Navy SeaBees and had a role in making a change.
Posted By: BoK

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/28/09 11:51 PM

The stories are even better than the repair advice. I happen to have a 1978 5.2 out in the back yard that has been loved to death. Wish I had some later model firm hulls for it.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/29/09 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheManShed

Make sure you use West System Epoxy don’t bother making repairs in polyester resins and bondo they will not last or be strong.

Bondo, I agree. The polyester part...not so sure bout that. I just hate wasting money on epoxy when it doesn't need to be epoxy. All polyester repair:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

j

Posted By: Jake

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/29/09 01:54 AM

You don't need to convince me about the 5.2. I cut my teeth on a 1982 model.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/29/09 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG

I don't think they know too much about repairs, actually I am quite sure they send their repair jobs to Hobiecat.
From personal experience I know they have some very skilled people there.
You might also give a call to Ruud Goudriaan over at BNR Watersport, he is a helpful guy and also very good at any sort of repair.

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/29/09 12:49 PM

I used poly for 20 plus years and most of my repairs held so perhaps I over spoke. I had one that did not after the boat got torqued by a rescue from a marine towing company the repair was 10 years old I almost sank. It was an extreme case and would epoxy have held?

What is cool that those of us that deal with the ugly task of repair work are artist. We have to be passionate about what we do with our hands and busted chunks of composite material. I don’t see what we do any different then a sculpture - It is just the medium we chose to work in. Plus it is more fun sitting on a multihull then a statue.

I keep telling myself that each time I grind fiberglass. We like the challenge of fixing a broken boat and each have our own way of doing it no way is right or wrong or tool better then the other.

For the artist is it camel hair or chiseled point - pastel watercolor or oil based paint.

Nice repair job on the hull did they hit something? To the original poster do you have any question we can help you with looks like we have some great experience here with Jake, and Surf City!
Got to love a site like this for questions!
Jake my NACRA was 534.

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 08/29/09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheManShed
What is cool that those of us that deal with the ugly task of repair work are artist. We have to be passionate about what we do with our hands and busted chunks of composite material. I don’t see what we do any different then a sculpture - It is just the medium we chose to work in. Plus it is more fun sitting on a multihull then a statue.

I keep telling myself that each time I grind fiberglass. We like the challenge of fixing a broken boat and each have our own way of doing it no way is right or wrong or tool better then the other.

Word! I love your projects!

J
Posted By: Nacra

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/01/09 08:48 AM

Hi CatclubZeeland, smile

Did you use the right telephone number the number from Nacra Europe is +31703382900 or E-mail is(info@nacraeurope.com)your phone details so we can call you back.

We are more then willing to help you get sailing again

regards Peter
Technical director Nacra international

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/01/09 09:20 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I finally got in contact with Nacra Europe. It took a few phonecalls, they just dont call back...I send the pictures and now they want to take a look at the boat. They have 5 years guarantee on the hulls, but after 2 years it is not 100%. Every year it is a few % less. But i doubt if its a guarantee question. They told me that if the bridle was bad from the beginning i should have problems earlier. I think its better to let them repair my boat. I could do it myself and thats a lot cheaper but it would be better if they do it. They have the knowledge. Its also better when i want to trade the boat for a new model (Infusion/Wildcat/Shockwave). I let you know how this story ends. I hope i am sailing very soon.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/01/09 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by CatclubZeeland
They told me that if the bridle was bad from the beginning i should have problems earlier.

What a lot of horse sh*#, who will buy a used Infusion for good money if Nacra don't repair your boat under warranty? Can't they see the marketing damage already done I'm glad I'm looking at Capricorn
Posted By: erice

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/01/09 11:28 PM

good they've come to the party, let us know how it goes

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/01/09 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nacra

regards Peter
Technical director Nacra international

That's pretty cool^^^
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/02/09 04:37 PM

So, am I to assume that T F18 lives in Europe somewhere?

Sure is vocal on an American Political thread!

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/22/09 02:56 PM

Hi all, my boat is sailing again. They did a very good job repairing the bridles. It looks like new, the guy who repaired my boat was going 1 day later for a holiday because he wanted to finish my boat first. Service was very good, both by Nacra Europe and the guy who did the repair. I am glad that i didn't repaired it myself because all advice i got was wrong. The force is at the inside of the hull. So that part is made very strong now. They made a hole round the bridle plate and build it up from the inside to the outside of the hull. No hole at the outside of the hull or decks that have been removed.
I am glad that i am sailing again.
About the warranty i am not so glad: there is no warranty after 5 years. So i have to pay the repair.

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/22/09 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG

Well, I was half right!

Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: bridle Nacra F18 repair - 09/22/09 07:35 PM

What is the length of the warranty with a new boat?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums