Catsailor.com

Trailer Crash

Posted By: acceleratedchaos

Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 01:54 AM

Loaded with 5 Nacra Infussions and all gear, our 24 ft enclosed trailer crashed on Friday and seems like it will likely be totalled by the insurance company. Trailer left the Boston, MA area headed for F18NA's in Long Beach. 5 boats were disassembled, on two racks inside the trailer with the masts attached to a rack on the roof. Same set up was used last fall and winter for F18NA's, steeplechase, tradewinds, and Tybee500, returning all boats to New England after the tybee last fall. In prep for doing the cross country trip, we had a mechanic go over the trailer for a full inspection of brakes, bearings, and tires. Boats were loaded last weekend and on Friday the 24th, Jim and Nora Zelmer started the western trek. 4.5 hours into the drive they experienced significant sway of the trailer behind them while driving at 55-60 mph, slowed down to control it, and immediately were swung around 180 degrees through the lines of traffic and ended up facing the opposite direction on the highway. The trailer had blown a tire and in the end had taken out a highway sign, chain link fence, and narrowly missed an 18-wheeler. A fence post went through the front of the enclose trailer, highway sign took out a mast and crunched the body of the trailer, popping the welds on the mast rack. All 5 masts and the rack ended up on the highway. The force of the tailspin bent one or both of the axles on the trailer, and the sway bars bent the frame/tongue of the trailer. Amazingly, the E250 van and trailer did not roll over, and NOONE WAS HURT! The boats were ok on first inspection minus major damage to 3 of the 5 masts, and some damage to another. Everything was insured, but we still have a long way to go to figure out all the damages and who will be covering what.
The weekend was spent retrieving three of the boats and getting a double stack trailer to the crash site to have two of the boats continue on to Long Beach, CA. We are hoping that two of the other teams will be able to negotiate charters.
An awful event, with the potential to have been so much worse.
Chris
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:02 AM

Wow,

All that caused by a blown tire? A tire that had recently been inspected. Anything can happen I guess.

Glad no one was injured in this mishap.

Good luck
Posted By: Robi

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:10 AM

HOLY SHNIKEYS!
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:23 AM

Really glad that no one was hurt!

Love your tenacity to continue the trip. We owe you drinks when you get here. Hope you find boats. I heard that JW had most of it under control after many hours on the phone trying to make sure you are ready when you get here.

Cheers,
Dan
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:39 AM

That's some determination. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:39 AM

Two of the three teams that needed charters are sorted out as of this afternoon. I haven't given up hope that we can accommodate Chris, too.

ps - the back-up trailer had a blowout, too... but don't give up!
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Two of the three teams that needed charters are sorted out as of this afternoon. I haven't given up hope that we can accommodate Chris, too.

ps - the back-up trailer had a blowout, too... but don't give up!

Need another f18 charter boat? I may know one.

jeremy@surfcitycatamarans.com
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 03:36 AM

I've got a 24' enclosed Featherlite trailer. If you didn't already have it, and you plan on replacing it with the same setup, the load distribution bars help alot. It really helps to settle down the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the troubles, that sucks.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 03:40 AM

Hey Chris,
Sorry to hear about this. Glad no one was hurt. Good luck on the left coast.
Todd
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I've got a 24' enclosed Featherlite trailer. If you didn't already have it, and you plan on replacing it with the same setup, the load distribution bars help alot. It really helps to settle down the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Karl:

We are doing a 20' enclosed concession trailer. Got a link on where to get the bars? Sure would hate to loose it going to a rally.

Doug
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 07:02 AM

We use to have the load level bars on the camper when I was young they helped. A real bugger to snap over center. Glad everybody is aright.

I hope the insurance company is good to you.

Jeremy at Surf City a true gent in making the extra effort for everybody. Now that is what sailing is really about!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 11:13 AM

John W has been awesome in helping us get everything set up on charter boats, replacement masts, and general support! Rick Bliss has been instrumental in helping secure all the needed parts to get our boats back in one piece, and Jack Young is doing all he can as well to execute this. Here on the east coast, Barry Moore loaned us his trailer to carry the doublestack. A true testament to how awesome this cat sailing community really is.

the trailer had a set of anti-sway/ weight distribution bars set up. It was actually at the attachment site to the trailer tongue/ frame that the frame of the trailer bent. The sway bars and weight distribution set up were totally fine and stopped the trailer from crushing into the back of the van.

When the Zelmers get there, make sure they are very well lubricated with booze that first night.... they deserve it and are going to need it!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by acceleratedchaos
When the Zelmers get there, make sure they are very well lubricated with booze that first night.... they deserve it and are going to need it!

Haha! Glad no one was hurt, and it is great to see how sailors are rallying to help!
Posted By: bvining

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 01:26 PM

Did anyone take pictures of the wreck?

Posted By: walkefmb

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 01:54 PM

Glad to know only parts are hurt. This is probably a good time to remind us all that hauling a trailer is serious business and even thorough prepwork requires vigilance. Those boats had a few miles on'em GOOD JOB!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DougSnell
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

[Linked Image]

http://www.reeseprod.com/

Look for weight distribution under the Products tab.

I'm the absolute master of flat tires on trailers. I don't know how or why, but I usually get at least one when going cross country with a trailer. I always check pressures, I always check for odd wear, but I must just manage to hit something every time. The worst is when the front tire on the trailer goes, and it takes out the back tire. Glad you had the bars, I know exactly what you're talking about when the trailer gets squirrely with a flat.

Karl:

We are doing a 20' enclosed concession trailer. Got a link on where to get the bars? Sure would hate to loose it going to a rally.

Doug
Posted By: dand

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:36 PM

Everybody pulling a trailer: Be sure to check the manufactured date on the tires. Not a 100% guarantee, but definitely a must.

Tire supply chain stores in my area will not mount tires beyond their life expectancy of 5 years, even if they have never been on the road. I am looking at the expense of replacing my RV tires this or next year due simply to age. They still have lots of tread left. All tires have a date stamp on them. The last two digits indicate year of manufacture. I.E. xxxx04 indicates manufactured in 2004.

dan

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 02:44 PM

good call Dan
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dand
Everybody pulling a trailer: Be sure to check the manufactured date on the tires. Not a 100% guarantee, but definitely a must.

Tire supply chain stores in my area will not mount tires beyond their life expectancy of 5 years, even if they have never been on the road. I am looking at the expense of replacing my RV tires this or next year due simply to age. They still have lots of tread left. All tires have a date stamp on them. The last two digits indicate year of manufacture. I.E. xxxx04 indicates manufactured in 2004.

dan

Good advice. I just changed all 6 tires on my RV based on them being over 5 years old (the spare looked a lot older than that - I could not find a DOT number on it!). I also just invested in an after market Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that covers the RV and trailer. Pressure sensors screw onto the valves instead of the caps, rather than the TPMS sensors inside the rim on new cars. This allows the monitors to be swapped rapidly between trailers. My system will cover up to 16 wheels. It alarms on low pressure with an audible alert. This won't save you from a catastrophic tire failure (blow - out) but could give valuable time /awareness to the driver.

The system I went with is from Pressure Pro
Monitor:
[Linked Image]
Sensors:
[Linked Image]

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 04:19 PM

very neat.
their website does not show prices???
may i ask what the entire unit cost you?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 04:27 PM

I usually haul a 3 horse goose neck type trailer, never had any sway problems because of the goose neck hitch, it's located in the truck bed just in front of the rear axel. I can take both hands off the wheel at 65mph and it tracks straight.

BUT, I once had to haul a 24' box trailer with a bumper hitch. WOW, what a difference. Way Sway! It was not all that heavily loaded, just one aiplane inside, I would guess about 1,000 lbs. of cargo plus the wt. of the trailer, but when I got up to near 65, it would start to sway, slowly at first, then a much larger divergance, so I gently slowed it way down to about 50. Much above that and the sway would start again, there was a cross wind blowing though.

This was behind my wife's Suburban with no sway bars. I was real glad I bought the goose neck for hauling the horses, but I've never seen one used for our boats. I nearly piled up the truck and trailer when on the way home from dropping off some horses two weeks ago at Auburn, I was coming down I75 South, around Gainsville about 11pm following a semi truck about 100 yards ahead, in the rain, at 70 mph he locks up the breaks and starts to slide! I jumped on my breaks and could feel the antiskid cycling, luckily the trailer was empty or I would have plowed into the back of him. But it stayed straight behind me.

There had been a 3 car pile up ahead, blocking the left two lanes. We tip-toed around to the right and got by the huge mess just before the police showed up and blocked the highway completely.

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about all the damage but glad everyone came out unhurt, have a great regatta. All the bad stuff is behind you now so the Wind Gods should be good to you!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 04:53 PM

Does weight distribution on/inside the trailer have anything to do with sway?
Posted By: Tornado

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by hobie1616

Yes, you should aim for 15-20% of total trailer weight on the tongue. Any less and sway become more likely.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
very neat.
their website does not show prices???
may i ask what the entire unit cost you?

About $550 for the unit and 8 sensors.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 06:10 PM

gotcha, thanks for the data.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 06:11 PM

Good grief!

Firstly, thank God Jim and Nora are OK.

Next, if you need a trailer, let me know and you can use mine. Would be good for one boat, not built for stacking. Send me a PM with a cell number.

As for the question of sway bar availability, any good RV dealer will have them in stock, they are commonly used for travel trailers.

Mike

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tornado
Originally Posted by hobie1616

Yes, you should aim for 15-20% of total trailer weight on the tongue. Any less and sway become more likely.

With more weight, the more on the tow vehicle the better. Within reason I guess, you don't want to put more on the tow vehicle than it can handle.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/01/09 08:53 PM

My memory is failing, I think my trailer dealer said anything above a certain load capacity and/or size has to have brakes on all wheels in FL.

Also, the capacity stated on a trailer and or hitch is based on properly loaded and equipped trailer (sway/load distribution bars).

Wonder if trailer brakes could have helped in this instance. Maybe not...

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

There were working and recently inspected brakes on both of the trailer axles.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 04:15 PM

wow, I had no idea a blowout would result in something so dramatic. Forgot to ask how many axles (sounded like more than one)?

freakish...

How much do the masts cost?
Posted By: catman

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 05:35 PM

Pretty sure if a trailer in Fla. weights over 2000lb empty it requires brakes on one set of wheels. Tounge weights one thing but how it's distributed is the most important. I can't remember the exact ratio but it's something like 70 percent of the weight needs to be in the front of the trailer wheels. Also If your towing a high profile trailer more than 14' you should have a friction type sway control added to the hitch. You can find them at Reese.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 05:48 PM

Chris,

Do you think a dual rear wheel tow vehicle could have helped stabilize the oscillation enough to prevent the accident?

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by flumpmaster

Chris,

Do you think a dual rear wheel tow vehicle could have helped stabilize the oscillation enough to prevent the accident?

I know you didn't ask my opinion, but short of getting something that you need a CDL to drive its tough to beat a long box, crew cab dually for towing trailers. The longer wheelbase, the wider wheelbase, and having more rubber on the road are all things that help maintain and regain control.

24' is about the max I would go for a bumper mount trailer, any bigger than that and it just gets to be too much weight being carried poorly.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 07:18 PM

Not sure about using a duel wheel tow vechicle, I tend to agree with the idea of more rubber on the road, and better management of the tongue weight can only be good things.
One consideration I am thinking about is that these trailers typically carry most of their weight low in the trailer (a car strapped to the floor). By building racks and having a second row of boats higher up, not sure if we were exceding the designed weight distribution with the momentum of the sway???? There were lots of benefits of having an enclosed trailer that could carry 5 boats, but recent events have me questioning the benefits vs risk and challenges of transporting boats this way. This could just be the frustration of dealing with insurance companies/ not making it to NA's next week coming out though.
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 07:43 PM

At least Team New England and the Tybee are getting great exposure in a car graveyard in NY.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Seriously though... I appreciate all the work Chris did making this trailer come together as it was a great way to get the boats to and stored in FL this past winter. Bummer we had to learn this lesson the hard way.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/02/09 11:33 PM

I think the trailer was not loaded properly (not enough tongue weight) or the trailer ride height was not level. If the van was a E250 it should be more than enough. I have hauled all kinds of stuff(Bobcats,tractors, WF's HT trailer with four 18HT's and a supercat 22 on it) with my F350,F250 single rear tire with bumper hitch and never had a problem if you load the trailer right.

Sorry about your accident and hope you get it all sorted out.
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dlennard
I think the trailer was not loaded properly (not enough tongue weight) or the trailer ride height was not level. If the van was a E250 it should be more than enough. I have hauled all kinds of stuff(Bobcats,tractors, WF's HT trailer with four 18HT's and a supercat 22 on it) with my F350,F250 single rear tire with bumper hitch and never had a problem if you load the trailer right.

Sorry about your accident and hope you get it all sorted out.

That was a tough break Chris.

I agree with Dave that you should be able to safely haul 5 boats in your trailer. As you know, I work in an industry that uses enclosed trailers extensively. It is not rare for someone to blow a tire but it is usually just an annoyance rather than an accident.

You are severely under gross with your load. Many of our racers have ramps inside to double deck two cars. That is much heavier and with a higher C/G than what you have.

The key is to have enough tongue weight and always use equalizer bars. There is also a special friction sway reducer you can get that attaches between the hitch and the trailer.

Yes, a dually will offer a more stable platform, but with your load it shouldn't be needed.

That tire pressure device someone posted looks like a great idea.

Your reaction when a tire goes is critical. Once the oscillations begin, you are usually screwed. NEVER hit the brakes and try to stay in front of the trailer. It may even be best to accelerate a little until you get everything in line and then slowly lift off the gas. If you think about it, grab the trailer brake control and use that to slow the rig down. Even with blown tires, the trailer brakes should be somewhat effective. Most of this is counter-intuitive so it might be wise to experiment with your trailer braking techniques before an emergency application is needed.

Until this actually happens to you it is hard to anticipate the dynamics. Fortunately I have never lost a rig but have had some hairey close calls.

Good luck guys and don't give up on your concept. BTW, as a replacement I would recommend Pace American. They have a special anti-sway axle system that works very well.
Posted By: catman

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 07:55 AM

Check the load rating on the side of the tire. If your towing it should be a C or a D. These tires have thicker side walls and allow higher tire pressures which help to reduce sway in the tow vehicle.

Example, I have Michelin LTX tires. You can buy these tires in four different load ranges.
The Tire Rack is a good place to research tires and purchase.
Tire Rack

Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 09:07 AM

2 multi-stack cat trailers taken out the last few years. What are we doing wrong guys?

Luckily, both times, no one was seriously injured.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by catman
Check the load rating on the side of the tire. If your towing it should be a C or a D.

If its a car trailer, it should have an "E" rated tire on it.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 01:56 PM

only one of the 4 tires blew and this still happened?
I hate towing my big boat and should probably have a bigger truck to do it. I get queasy with any small "tail wagging the dog" movement.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
2 multi-stack cat trailers taken out the last few years. What are we doing wrong guys?

Luckily, both times, no one was seriously injured.

Sabotage by the monohull sailors?
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 02:56 PM

That looks like a heck of a nice trailer. Hope it is not totaled. I would love to have something like that but could never find a place to store it. Five boats inside in comfort could get many sailors to more events.

Let's continue the trend to get us all together.

Dan
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 08:38 PM

I used to be in trucking hauling heavy machinery. I remember we had 10 pieces of a huge machine, one on each lowboy, that weighed 120,000 lbs each. Of those 10 trailers, 4 had Michelin tires, the others had a mix of Goodyear, Goodrich, etc.
The four with Michelin had no troubles, while all the rest of them blew out an average of 2 tires per load.
I have never used anything but Michelin since.
\Rick

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/03/09 09:46 PM

Those were the good old days Rick. I too was a big Michelin fan, especially on my motorcycles, until I went to buy some for my Wife's Suburban and my local tire dealer told me "They are all made in China now..."

Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 12:47 AM

Chris,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope you are able to work it out to race. It looks like your setup was a good way to go. I was quite envious of it when I saw it down in the Keys last year. Seems like a great way to travel with a group and defer costs and time.

I believe the other accident that was talked about on this forum involved rain and slick roads.

I think the only thing that could have been a problem with your rig would be the % weight on the tongue. I've hauled some shaky stuff in the past but yours looked like you were doing it the right way.

Only issue I ever had was hauling down a road with a 30knot crosswind. I had a light trailer behind me and it wanted to go in the other lane. I had to keep it under 45 until I turned South.

All is usually well once you turn South. That's probably the problem, You were going in the wrong direction. wink

Hope it doesn't get you too down and hope to see you in the Keys again to have a go at you for Steeplechase again.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 05:32 AM

We are going to but this Tues or Wed in SD. Pray we make it back OK. Have three bike rallies lined up for concession already.

Doug

Attached picture m_S1.jpg

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

my local tire dealer told me "They are all made in China now..."

He's lyin' Tim. We still have several big Michelin plants here in South Carolina.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 01:03 PM

Right, For some reason I have had dealers try to talk me out of getting Michelin. I still stick to my guns on this one and have never had any bad luck with them.
Didn't use them when racing Motocross, however.
Rick

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 01:52 PM

Jack, are they making street tires or racing tires, or both?

Rick, I used them on my road bikes, I can't even recall what I used on my motocross bike. I do remember I spent most of my time (and money) buying pistons and rings from Wiesco though! And Golden Specta synthetic oil to mix with the gas...or something like that. Ahh, the smell, the noise, the wheelies!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 02:07 PM

Jack, are they making street tires or racing tires, or both?

We have nine Michelin plants in SC. They make everything from car tires to jet tires. What does your 777 have?

Michelin does have plants all over the world, including China.

I see trucks headed for the port at Charleston with just one or two giant earthmover tires per truck.

<<Michelin will invest $40 million in its existing Anderson County plant in Sandy Springs that manufactures various semi-finished products.
In Greenville County, Michelin plans to spend up to $90 million for new mold-production and a partial conversion to light-truck/ recreational tire production. Employment could rise by 100.
Plants in Lexington County would receive $60 million to increase passenger, light-truck tire and large-tire production, creating 100 to 300 new jobs.
Michelin expects to invest $30 million in its Spartanburg County locations to expand its truck tire production and retreading operations.>>

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 02:42 PM

I bet the profit margins are greater on other brands.. thats why they push you away from Michelins

almost hard to believe that Michelin has been around so long... they started as a bike tire company in france.
two brothers, André and Edouard Michelin In 1889
Posted By: brucat

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 03:27 PM

I also love Michelins on my Explorer, but have had issues on the RV. May have been due to age and/or inflation, but I had a front RV tire de-tread at 50 mph last year near Franconia Notch, NH. Very exciting...

Mike

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
I also love Michelins on my Explorer, but have had issues on the RV. May have been due to age and/or inflation, but I had a front RV tire de-tread at 50 mph last year near Franconia Notch, NH. Very exciting...

Mike

Underinflation is the biggest killer of tires.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mugrace72

Mike

Those TPM Systems are great. I have one on my new FJ and I donno how I lived without it before smile

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Originally Posted by Mugrace72

Mike

Those TPM Systems are great. I have one on my new FJ and I donno how I lived without it before smile

You techno geek,
God forbid you actually use an ANALOG tire gauge, on the ground next to the tire. OHHH the horrors...

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 04:26 PM

Todd

I do more wrenching on my vehicles than your (lack of) Y chromosome would allow.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 04:38 PM

I -think- the 777's have Goodyear, but I would have to call someone in the shop to be sure. I haven't done an up close walk around on one since I first got checked out on it, about 3 years ago, but I think all of Delta's plane's tires are Goodyears.

What about tire pressure? I like to run mine a little higher than what is printed on the sidewall, how much above that number is safe?
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 05:02 PM

I -think- the 777's have Goodyear, but I would have to call someone in the shop to be sure. I haven't done an up close walk around on one since I first got checked out on it, about 3 years ago, but I think all of Delta's plane's tires are Goodyears.

What about tire pressure? I like to run mine a little higher than what is printed on the sidewall, how much above that number is safe?

The number on the sidewall is the max air pressure for the max weight listed on the sidewall. You should never go over the max pressure.

You should follow the auto,suv manufactures pressure listed in the manual or door jamb. RVs, trailers should be weighed and then check the tire manufactures chart for the weight to air ratio. The max air pressure on the sidewall is only to list the max weight the tire can carry not the pressure that should be in the tire for your vehicle.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 05:49 PM

Todd

I do more wrenching on my vehicles than your (lack of) Y chromosome would allow.

Would you like to lose another bottle of rum and bet on it?
I guarantee you I've done more mechanic work in any given year,since I was 16, than you'll do in your life.

Whaddya say wussyboy?

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 05:54 PM

I -think- the 777's have Goodyear, but I would have to call someone in the shop to be sure. I haven't done an up close walk around on one since I first got checked out on it

Uhhh....I thought that was part of prefight? Oh, I guess you have people for that Tim.

I agree. I like them hard. I don't see a need to go above the max number, but you certainly can go past by 20%.

The only reason to go below it would be to make the ride softer if you are lightly loaded and have something that can't tolerate harshness...like people or Nitro.

Tire failure is usually caused by heat and flex. Hard tires run cooler and don't flex as much. Another big killer of tires in these dual and triple axle trailers is damaged caused by hitting curbs. (We all do it way too often). If you are LUCKY, the tire will blow right then and you will have to stop and change it.

If you are UNLUCKY, it will seem OK and then 100 miles down the road it fails in a big way at 65 mph!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 06:02 PM

I'd say you're protesting more over the fact that I challenged your wrenching experience than the fact that I called you a woman :P

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 06:27 PM

I think everyone on here knows I'm not a woman,ask Kate.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 06:35 PM

Really Todd.

I'm disappointed in you.
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 06:53 PM

Change the name of this topic to train wreck. I'm going to grab some popcorn, sit back, and watch......

BTW, you won't enjoy that TPM system when it starts malfunctioning. Big $$$ to get it fixed and you can only use Toyota's wireless analyzer from the dealer.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 07:03 PM

I'd say you're protesting more over the fact that I challenged your wrenching experience than the fact that I called you a woman :P

Besides Tad, what's wrong with women? It's apparent by your posts you don't like 'em.
I think they're great!
What do you think Mary?

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 07:16 PM

>>Uhhh....I thought that was part of prefight? Oh, I guess you have people for that Tim.<<

Yeah, well the way it works is the Captain is responsible to be in the **** during pre-flight, and has to deal with people issues during boarding, flight attendants, loading, clearances and routings, etc. while one of the 2 copilots is outside doing the walk around, checking tires, etc.

On airplanes (most Domestic) that only have one copilot, the Capt. and Copilot usually alternate on who does the walk around.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 07:37 PM

Really Todd.

I'm disappointed in you.

Well fiddlesticks,the last thing I wanna do is disappoint Taddypoo.
But your probably right she's too sweet to drag in to this. I still can't figure,for the life of me ,how she ended up with a dork like you.I guess she felt sorry for you...but,hey, whatever it takes.

And Timbo, if you don't look at your tires,I ain't flyin' wid ya.No respect for the job,Geezzzz.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 07:47 PM

BTW, you won't enjoy that TPM system when it starts malfunctioning. Big $$$

Lifetime warranty fool.

I guess she felt sorry for you...but,hey, whatever it takes.

Probably why she leaves me for a month at a time :P

She got way the hell away from me this time. Michigan.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 10:20 PM

And Timbo, if you don't look at your tires,I ain't flyin' wid ya.No respect for the job,Geezzzz.

My loss...?

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/04/09 10:33 PM

It'll save your flight crew the need to disinfect the cabin.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/05/09 02:27 AM

My loss...?

Definitely!

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/05/09 02:49 AM

Todd/Tad

I wish I knew you guys personally. I'm guessing that you guys do get along, and a live performance of this would crack me up.

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/05/09 03:13 AM

Todd is probably one of my best sailing buddies ever.

But God help me if we ever get on a boat together. Two of us would leave from the beach - only one would come back :P
Posted By: TheManShed

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/05/09 03:44 AM

(But God help me if we ever get on a boat together. Two of us would leave from the beach - only one would come back :P)

What would be because of the air pressure?

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/05/09 03:51 AM

Lack of Oxygen
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/08/09 04:37 PM

Those were the good old days Rick. I too was a big Michelin fan, especially on my motorcycles, until I went to buy some for my Wife's Suburban and my local tire dealer told me "They are all made in China now..."

Which is wrong. Michelin has a large number of plants in the US, many of which are in the SE. Though they aren't all making auto tires, several of the plants are. The others are making truck tires, aircraft tires, etc. Michelin's NA headquarters, R&D Center, and several branch offices are located right here in Greenville, SC.

1: Michelin North America Inc AL USA Employees: 600
2: Michelin North America Inc AL USA Employees: 200
3: Michelin North America Inc AL USA Employees: 200
4: Michelin North America Inc IN USA Employees: 30
5: Michelin North America Inc MI USA Employees: 40
6: Michelin North America Inc OK USA Employees: 90
7: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Employees: 72
8: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Employees: 100
9: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Employees: 30
10: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Headquarters Employees: 1,200
11: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Employees: 1,500
12: Michelin North America Inc SC USA Employees: 70
13: Michelin Radial Tires UT USA Employees: 30

These are just some of the Michelin branded plants, not all. Also, there are many other tire brands that are Michelin-owned.

Tell the dealer to do his homework next time.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/08/09 06:27 PM

4: Michelin North America Inc IN USA Employees: 30

I used to call on that plant in a previous job. It was huge! In 2001, it employed 1,350 according to the Manufacturer's Directory. There were more than 30 people in the plant engineering department alone. I sold them 100's of motor controllers. It must be just a giant warehouse now. What a shame.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Trailer Crash - 09/08/09 09:03 PM

their North American office is a stone's throw from me and my next door neighbor works at their manufacturing facility just outside of Greenville. Fun stories about their destruction testing making earthquake like tremors.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums