Catsailor.com

Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18

Posted By: Chris9

Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 09/26/09 12:47 AM

If your thinking of participating, let me know.

See NOR:

Attached File

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 09/29/09 12:53 AM

Thank you to Dave I, Tood H. and John W.(the real John Willims)on helping me from afar with this event.

The first of probably many bumps.
Posted By: SoggyCheetoh

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 09/29/09 01:22 PM

Thanks Chris, looking forward to the event.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 11:52 AM

Trophys ordered.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chris9
Trophys ordered.

I guess that begs the question "what kind of trophy?" Probably start a whole new thread about what kind of trophies do people want...

Me, I think I'm old school. A medal or brag-flag would be nice for the competitor(s), but you need something big for the perpetual trophy

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 05:38 PM

The perpetual is a handmade memorial which will receive its own presentation. The Alter Qualifier trophies are US Sailing Medals. The Pumpkin Patch trophies are etched Pints. The best Pimped out boat will receive its own prize. Last years "pimped out" winner took a taste of his pimpin' prize and wondered out loud what second place pimpin' got? It has been a year, maybe he will bring the remainder of the 6-pack as this years prize. I'll try to remember to take pictures. Remembering will be difficult since I'll be focused on announcing next years regatta chair. Which will not be me!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 05:42 PM

Remembering will be difficult since I'll be focused on announcing next years regatta chair. Which will not be me!

We'll see.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 06:35 PM

Agreed. I already have a volunteer:). Thanks for the call the other day.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/02/09 06:41 PM

You're on the grid now my friend...

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/06/09 04:35 PM

*****Qualifer Update****

Beer has been ordered! Local Baltimore Brew.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 06:03 PM

Working hard to be the largest Area championship in the US! (take that Dave)

19 boats registered with cheap registration closing tonight.

The weather is... shall we say an issue....
Have faith... it's never what the weatherman calls for...

F16's.... SEVEN boats... Albacore world champ joins the racing on a Taipan F16... very cool

Nacra 20 Six boats

Hobie 18's. Three boats

A class two boats

Hobie 14s two boats

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 06:15 PM

Bring it! Nice job!
Posted By: Jake

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 07:15 PM

Oooo...we got our work cut out for us...that's great attendance. It has always been the case that each qualifier sends it's top team to the event...or the next top team out of the top three that can attend. Last year, the conditions of the championship were modified to allow the largest qualifier to send their top two teams instead of one. So, if you guys do end up with the largest attendance, you get two spots instead of one.

I hate to be the hard-butt, but I feel like I should point this out because it has been a problem in the past; note that EVERYONE competing (skipper AND crew) must be US sailing members to race in the elimination / qualifier. The entry forms are checked and if folks are found that had inactive memberships at the time, they come out of the attendance figure and are obviously illegible to compete in the US Championship.

If anyone from the event wants to have a US Sailing website address to check anyone's membership standing as of the moment, send me a PM and I'll forward that to you. With a wireless connection, you can check memberships during registration.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
I hate to be the hard-butt, but I feel like I should point this out because it has been a problem in the past; note that EVERYONE competing (skipper AND crew) must be US sailing members to race in the elimination / qualifier. The entry forms are checked and if folks are found that had inactive memberships at the time, they come out of the attendance figure and are obviously illegible to compete in the US Championship.

If anyone from the event wants to have a US Sailing website address to check anyone's membership standing as of the moment, send me a PM and I'll forward that to you. With a wireless connection, you can check memberships during registration.

Well now, looks like you need to make yourself a shirt. :-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Jake

Well now, looks like you need to make yourself a shirt. :-)

A rock with a hole in it?
Posted By: Herbie53

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/15/09 11:56 PM

this clears things up for me, thanks.

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Working hard to be the largest Area championship in the US! (take that Dave)

19 boats registered with cheap registration closing tonight.

The weather is... shall we say an issue....
Have faith... it's never what the weatherman calls for...

F16's.... SEVEN boats... Albacore world champ joins the racing on a Taipan F16... very cool

Nacra 20 Six boats

Hobie 18's. Three boats

A class two boats

Hobie 14s two boats

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 03:34 AM

21 registered and the forecast is ugly! Must be the beer...:)
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 11:12 AM

*****Qualifer Update****

Beer has been ordered! Local Baltimore Brew.

NOR Amendment #1 - Glad we got that procedural detail out of the way! grin

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 01:14 PM

The BS with our club never seems to end. That amendement that I had to write should receive an award for the "Amendment of the Year" smile

BTW bring your ID, IT WILLL BE CHECKED. Say,if you'll check mine, I'll check yours? That will be the best offer your going to get all weekend. smile

Posted By: LuckyDuck

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 01:25 PM

I have no ID what your talkin about. You know who I am. Ed

Says so on my belt buckle.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 06:55 PM

here is the most high quality NOR Amendment I am referring to...

Attached File

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/16/09 07:04 PM

Nothing in life is free.....

In fact... sometimes... it simply CAN'T be free!

Oh... for the good ol days! laugh

Oh... and you absolutely win the best NOR amendment ever!

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/17/09 05:54 PM

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 30 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 22 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 25 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.98 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.00 in ( Steady )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 47.3 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 61.2 °F

23 Boats... Hobie Div 11 is ruling ... two 14's, a 16, an F16 and a N20 are on the course...

Did I mention... it's pouring..

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/17/09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 30 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 22 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 25 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.98 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.00 in ( Steady )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 47.3 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 61.2 °F

23 Boats... Hobie Div 11 is ruling ... two 14's, a 16, an F16 and a N20 are on the course...

Did I mention... it's pouring..

Holy crap batman, nice job!

There might be a new sheriff in town and its name is Area C!

I need to get to pimpin! What's tomorrow looking like? You only need 3!

Good luck, and some of the most fun I've at a regatta is on a lay day.

Oh, where on the beach too. Bit of a breeze and the gulf is looking sporty.

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/18/09 12:22 AM

H14 in first place after three races...to sore and tired to write anymore. Forecast for tomorrow is uuuuggglier. Lots of keg still to go. Crap whatever will I do with leftover beer?

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/19/09 06:28 PM

PRO Rolf Zeisler

Race Committee Mark Boats Sue Zeisler, Daphne Byron, Chris Ford, Dave Yemc, Bob Robinson, Sue Robinson, Macy Nelson, Brandon O'Connell

These folks are the ones I want to salute for doing a great job on Race committee this weekend in the toughest fall conditions we have ever seen. Saturday was cold and wet with rain and winds up to 20... Sunday was even colder... Just writing down finish numbers was tough.... The catsailors want to thank the Albacore fleet sailors and some 505 sailors for an outstanding job this weekend.

Kudo's to Bill Kast and Ryan Flanigan (Hobie 16) for winning the regatta, with Chris Allan and Chris Conners (Nacra 20) and John McLaughlin and Ed Mills (F16) in third..

Special note for Randy Payne (Hobie 14) turned in the best performance of the weekend winning all but one race on time but suffered two dsq's for missing the offset mark in the first two races.
Alter Cup Area C results link
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 10/19/09 08:38 PM

And I'd like to thank the competitors for sailing clean and not giving me any work to do.

Regards,
Eric (call-in judge)

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 11/02/09 03:57 AM

US Sailing Area C Alter Cup Qualifier (aka: Pumpkin Patch Regatta)

As the awards presentation began, I made a point of thanking the people who help plan, staff and carryout the regatta, starting with mentioning our PRO and the Race Committee. I was just about able to utter Rolf Zeisler (our PRO), and the room erupted with applause. After about thirty seconds I was able to read the names of the race committee, Sue Zeisler, Daphne Byron, Chris Ford, Dave Yemc, Bob Robinson, Sue Robinson, Macy Nelson, and Brandon O'Connel. The applause began again. This applause was the most robust applause I have heard in my 15 or so years of sailing and was very well deserved. Let me take you back to the weekend of October 17 and 18. It began getting colder on the Wednesday before the regatta and then began raining on Thursday, which continued on and off through Sunday morning. The forecast on Saturday morning suggested that Saturday was going to be a much better day than Sunday. Much better in that Saturday the temperature was in the low 40s, it was raining on and off, and the waves were 2’ to 3’ with the occasional 5’ set working its way into the river. The wind at Thomas Point was being recorded around 22 knots and building. Where was the race committee? They were on station, setting marks. They were in boats which offer very little shelter from the elements—if you have been in the Correct Craft or a whaler lately, you know what I mean. They patiently waited for the racers to show up on the race course. They provided three very well run races. Sunday morning I walked out to my truck around 6:30 am in a heavy rain and an optimistic 39 degrees temperature. I remember thinking I should be going hunting or skiing instead of sailing. A few hours later, there was the Race Committee ready to go—probably more ready than the racers. The Correct Craft was proving difficult to start. Race committee persistence—I’ve heard past Commodore persuasion can be irresistible—won over the vessel and they joined in setting the racecourse.

We had 23 boats register for the regatta. Seven teams traveled in from outside the West River Sailing club to vie for the right to represent our area in US Sailing Association’s annual Alter Cup—considered the US Championship for beach catamarans. Most of us left the beach on Saturday morning but only a few stuck out the difficult conditions to actually complete the races. When we capsized prior to racing, my crew said, “well I’m glad we got that out of the way!” I was reminded again that it is not good to sail a Nacra 20 slow. With the breeze generally from the North east, two lap races with a leeward gate and a downwind finish was the chosen course inside of Curtis Point. Three races and a capsize seemed to be enough for us so we called it a day and headed in to a semi-roaring fire, hot soup, and jerk chicken and macaroni and cheese.

Sunday, I get cold all over again just thinking about it, the breeze had shifted more to the north—maybe even a little to the north west—and the waves had settled down. In the first race the windward mark and offset were set up in the Rhodes River and the breeze was concentrated in the river, making the rounding very interesting having to short tacking up to the marks. On one of the F16s, John “Hollywood” McLaughlin and Ed “Lucky Duck” Mills were very hard to catch. In the second and third race the marks were moved out to the West River just outside of the Rhodes River, making the mark a little easier to achieve. In one of these two races it seemed like all ten boats racing that day converged on the weather mark at the same time during the first rounding. Kris Hathaway on his F16 tacked in front of us and luckily accelerated out of his tack, just prior to becoming a Gertie hood ornament. Dominating the racing was Randy Payne on a Hobie 14—scoring first in every race except the first two, in which he missed the offset mark.

Taking home the top spot was Bill Kast and 15-year old, Ryan Flanigan on a Hobie 16. Bill and Ryan now qualify to represent our Area in the Multihull Championship for 2010. They also won the Rob Wilson Memorial trophy and their names will be engraved and placed on the trophy at the club. While the 2009 Alter Cup Championship has just completed in Florida, rumor has it that the 2010 event may be held in the Spring.

Todd and Leanne Berget organized and staffed the food and did a great job, as usually. Thanks to Olivers Brewery (Pratt Street Ale House, http://www.prattstreetalehouse.com) for batching up an IPA for us. The “I” in Oliver’s IPA stands for Ironman, fitting giving aforementioned conditions. Also, I want to thank Mark Schneider for doing the race scoring again this year, as he has done in the past too many years to remember for the catamaran community. Finally, a special thanks to all who pre-registered and showed up for the regatta to race or just party, in the face of a really crappy weather report! Alec Daunheimer has stepped forward to be Race Chair for the 2010 Pumpkin Patch. Hey Alec, I’ll get the keg!

Chris Allen, Ex - Regatta Chairman
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 11/02/09 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Isotope42
And I'd like to thank the competitors for sailing clean and not giving me any work to do.

Regards,
Eric (call-in judge)

So . . . how did Randy Payne get 2 DSQs if you didn't have any work?

Somebody not paying attention to RRS A5 again?

(knowing Randy, he would RAF if he was told he missed the offset, so it really doesn't make any difference, but . . . )

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 11/02/09 02:43 PM

Ignorance on my part, not Erics. The thread about that very situation came up after the week after the regatta.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Area C Alter Cup Qualifer Oct 17 & 18 - 11/02/09 05:27 PM

Chris, great write-up of the event. Even better NOR amendment!

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums