Catsailor.com

slightly sad

Posted By: davefarmer

slightly sad - 10/19/09 11:55 PM

Pulled the last boat this weekend, closed up the cabin. A few weekends at home til the backcountry turns white. Was a great season though, we're fortunate to have this passion!

Dave

Attached picture FR sleeps 001ee.jpg
Attached picture FR sleeps 002ee.jpg
Attached picture FR sleeps 003ee.jpg
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 12:08 AM

You gotta move down South where we *can* sail year round.

Some of us don't even suit up though if its 55'F and blowin. Thats brrrrr... cold....
Posted By: H17cat

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 12:43 AM

Dave, you have really done a great job on your cat since we last saw it at Moses Lake, two years ago.
Caleb

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 03:43 PM

Yeah, moving south has its appeal. My current dream is to find an affordable place to keep a beachcat in FL, and drag it to the Keys for a couple weeks each winter. Boys?

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 03:50 PM

$70/month storage availabel here in Dunedin about 2 miles east of the gulf. come on down! the waters nice! smile
Posted By: pgp

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 04:03 PM

We have some people who winter with us at GYC.

http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/
Posted By: Bajan_Bum

Re: slightly sad - 10/20/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by davefarmer
Yeah, moving south has its appeal. My current dream is to find an affordable place to keep a beachcat in FL, and drag it to the Keys for a couple weeks each winter. Boys?

Dave

Just so you know. Mimai is #6.

America's Most Expensive Cities

The List

10. Washington, D.C.
9. Houston, Texas
8. Boston, Mass.
7. Chicago, Ill.
6. Miami, Fla.
5. Honolulu, Hawaii
4. San Francisco, Calif.
3. White Plains, N.Y.
2. Los Angeles, Calif.
1. New York, N.Y.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/07/mo...america-top-ten.html?feed=rss_popstories
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 12:40 AM

I feel your pain Dave. With the threat of snow last weekend, I knocked the FXone apart and slid it though a window into the basement. Pain in the rear, but its the only way I know it'll stay warm, dry, and free from critters.

I'm shocked none of the Alaskan cities are on there. I've always understood the cost of living to be rediculous up there.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 01:00 AM

Hey Dave, you are more than welcome to leave your cat here at my house in Sebring, FL, smack in the middle of the state 85 miles south of Orlando, 3hrs. north of Miami right down Rt. 27.

I've got a big sand beach on a lake, you can leave it mast up or on the trailer, either way I promise I won't sail it, I've got 3 of my own to sail. The hotels are cheaper here if you want to come down and sail it here on the lake.

Google Map lake Jackson, FL, I live on the north side. And if any of you "Up Nawth" guys have a Corsair you want to leave in Florida for the winter, call me! I cannot make the same promise that I won't sail it however...but just here on the lake.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 01:06 AM

Dave, there is also a great sailing club with dry storage space you can join for about $350/yr. and leave the boat set up, ready to go. It is called the Sarasota Sailing Squadron and you could then sail it to the keys down the back side, in the nice, warm, protected waters of the Gulf vs. the east coast, stopping at Sanibel/Captiva and Naples on the way.

http://www.sarasotasailingsquad.com/

http://www.sarasotasailingsquad.com/about/membership/rates.pdf

That's where they run the Sitletto Nationals out of.

Posted By: Robi

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 01:59 AM

Tim you have been so many times at GYC I am surprised you are sending him to Sarasota.

If coming to FL there is no MULTI HULL club like it in the entire state, hands down! There is no other choice than GYC. Like Pete said, we got a good amount of winter birds (boats) that are down here for the winter.

If you are interested you can contact Pete or Myself via PM. I live only seven miles away from the club.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 02:39 AM

Robi, yeah, I agree GYC is great for beach cats but I think his boat might be too big to launch at GYC, and can he get under the bridges (do they open on request) to get out to the gulf?
Posted By: Robi

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 02:50 AM

We got a massive cat at our club that is supposed to be beach launched. As far as getting under the bridges yes every 15 minutes they open upon request.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 03:28 AM

Those are great options Timbo, thanks! Probably nothin' will come together this winter, but I'm always scheming. I spent three winters in Sarasota in my youth, it'd be fun to return. And your lake looks great as well. What you've offered up is precisely what I was hoping for. I'll stay in touch.

Dave 509 276 6355

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 02:29 PM

This is just a forewarning for you Florida peeps. There's a 66% chance that I'll be relocating to either Orlando or Jacksonville this coming summer.

You've been warned :P

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 02:56 PM

Orlando, if you have the choice. Florida is so long, Jax to Isla Morada is a hell of a drive. Orlando to Gulfport is about 2 hours.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 03:51 PM

To be honest, from a sailing perspective, both are nice.

It boils down to what program matches with my wife's picks for residency programs.

The benefit of Jax would be that I could live on the beach.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 04:49 PM

Jax has the Rudder Club, a great sailing club who also put on the Mug Race every May. I think there are mostly mono dinghys and A cats up there, some big mono's too, but not too many I20's. You might want to get an A cat just in case, you can never have too many cats.

Re: slightly sad - 10/21/09 04:55 PM

You might want to get an A cat just in case, you can never have too many cats.

A cats just aren't my ball of wax mate smile
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 12:45 AM

All ya all snowbirds are welcome to Ventura,CA anytime for a sail. Got a boat for ya to use too.

Just give me a little notice.

~Adios
Posted By: PTP

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 11:45 AM

what is she going into?

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 12:34 PM

Family Practice/Sports Medicine/OMM

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 01:48 PM

cool. she should be able to go wherever she wants without any problem.

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 01:50 PM

Where-ever WE want :P

I have more than just a little say in where we go while I'm paying for it!! smile
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
Where-ever WE want :P

I have more than just a little say in where we go while I'm paying for it!! smile

Hahahahahha. So young.

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 02:34 PM

You got that right Mike, and that's why I live 3 miles from my wife's Mother's house instead of in Sarasota or Gulfport!

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 02:52 PM

there are a ton of FP programs and few people interested in FP. You must go somewhere on the water.

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 03:21 PM

yeah but she wants to do the "integrated FP/OMM" program and unfortunately there are only a couple of those nationwide. However, her top pics are Orlando, Jacksonville and Wilmington NC.

She also was thinking of dragging me up to Grand Rapids MI which I promply put a stop to.

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 03:27 PM

ah Grand Rapids ain't bad - much better than the side of the state I live on! There is water nearby Grand Rapids, but it is pretty cold for the 9 month winter!!

Re: slightly sad - 10/22/09 03:30 PM

but it is pretty cold for the 9 month winter!!

Unacceptable winter.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 03:55 PM

Unacceptable winter.

That's pretty much what I say about anything north of Sebring.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Unacceptable winter.

That's pretty much what I say about anything north of Sebring.

Before I moved to GA, I thought that < 55'F was freezing cold.

Now I think that anything < 65'F is freezing.

I'm honestly looking forward to moving to FL smile
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 06:10 PM

Before I moved to GA, I thought that < 55'F was freezing cold.

Now I think that anything < 65'F is freezing.

I'm honestly looking forward to moving to FL smile

Careful what you wish for sunshine it's blazing hot here for a long time! I've quit sailing during the summer because it's just miserable.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:07 PM

Its better than the alternative Dingaling.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:41 PM

Beg to differ. Nothing feels worse than over heating. It's worse, and more dangerous than sea sickness.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:43 PM

You misunderstood.

The alternative is 10 month winters where they start measuring the snow drifts on the second floors of buildings.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:45 PM

yeah, but maybe they'll like you up there more than we will down here! cool

BTW......yes, I do read SA too!!!!!! My T500 frat bro!

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:45 PM

Ok, remember to make room for Kelly Park and Daytona on your agenda. Easy drives from Orlando or Jax. And Eustis.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:54 PM

Really, so that's how it's going to be.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Really, so that's how it's going to be.

Would you have it any other way? :P

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
yeah, but maybe they'll like you up there more than we will down here! cool

BTW......yes, I do read SA too!!!!!! My T500 frat bro!

Oh burn :P

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 08:25 PM

On the north-south thing, when I moved to Florida from New Hampshire 12 years ago, I bought a house on a lake and I thought I would be sailing Every Day! Yee Haw! The Sun, The Sand, The....lack of wind!

I've sailed maybe 2 days in the past month, I wanted to get out there today but it's flat right now, as it is most days here in central Fla. all [96 degree average] summer long. The seabreeze never gets this far inland and the cold fronts don't come trough unitl mid November.

I got in much more racing up there than I do down here, because up there the season is so short, from May-Sept, that they race every weekend, big boats on Saturday, Lasers on Sunday and on weeknights too, so there was always a race to go to, until you pull the boat in Oct. Of course I was single when I was racing up there. A wife and 4 kids will put a quick end to any racing you -think- you are going to do.

Down here they are much more "laid back" about racing. When I first arrived in Miami I asked the local J24 fleet captain why they only did one or two races a month. He said, "What's the rush? We have all year. If we raced every weekend people would be burned out in no time. Besides, we like golf too..."

But now it seems like every time there is a cat regatta the wife has other plans, or the kids, or both, and on the weekends when they don't there's no race to go to!

So, come on down, it's plenty warm, but please bring some wind!

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 09:14 PM

Would you have it any other way? :P

Absolutely not. Just don't get all whiney when it get's a little bloody, oh wait I'm thinking of someone else.

Re: slightly sad - 10/26/09 10:40 PM

Despite the short season, I managed to get out on the boat probably 25 different days. Including regatta's. That's not so bad.

Its only snowed here twice this fall.......

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 01:42 AM

suck fnow.

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 03:18 AM

Oh joy, my weather man just said there will be a ridge of high perssure sitting over us for another week bringing, "Summer Like Heat" which also means, no wind...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/33870?dp=windsdp

Check out those wind speeds for the week, looks like I might get enough tomorrow, but along with thunderstorms!

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 06:53 AM

Timbo:

we had gust to 52 when storms came in am. Still take Fla any day. Some day.

Doug

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 11:01 AM

And in 2004 we had 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks, sustained winds to 150 for hours at a time. In the summer our every day thunderstorms have winds up to 60.

My point is if you think you are going to move to Florida and sail every day, you had better move close to the coast for the seabreez, and even that doesn't always show up.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 02:44 PM

You misunderstood.

The alternative is 10 month winters where they start measuring the snow drifts on the second floors of buildings.

Last winter I shoveled my roof off 3 times. The second time I WALKED off the roof to quit. The third time I climbed UP to get off the roof. Could have parked the snowmobiles on the roof. Something wrong with that.

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 03:34 PM

Isn't Moose Mountain right up Rt. 16 from Northfield, NH? Don't you ski in the winter? Sounds like you could have made a nice ski jump off that roof! We used to go skiing at Moose, at night quite a bit, is it still in operation?
Posted By: Jeff_Bowers

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 03:42 PM

Dave,
Come sail in the ocean, Only cool place in Florida in the summer. I don't think we had a day over 90 all summer(compare that to 94+ in Orlando or the Florida west coast). Match that with 78-83 degree water temp, a seabreeze every afternoon and it hard to beat. I get so spoiled I think it to cold to sail after October.

Re: slightly sad - 10/27/09 04:02 PM

I was there for the Daytona regatta and Gilligan's it was still freaking hot! October is when it turns on for me in FL, and look at the schedule, it's packed! Fall, winter and spring rule in FL, for me anyway. Pleasure sailing is one thing but when you’re busting a nut trying get around the guy in front of you, it's hard to stay hydrated when it's 90 degrees F.

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by bullswan
You misunderstood.

Last winter I shoveled my roof off 3 times. The second time I WALKED off the roof to quit. The third time I climbed UP to get off the roof. Could have parked the snowmobiles on the roof. Something wrong with that.

You're lucky Greg, I don't know what the actual annual snowfall is for a given season here, but I'd guess we get around four feet of snow. Most of the winter there is bare spots, and black snowdrifts. Then there's the horrid cold. We spent about a month after the first of the year below zero. I'd take snow any day over that crap. At least I'd have a reason to go outside other than work, I could justify buying a snowmobile then. Ususlly if its snowing, its at least above zero!

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 01:44 PM

i sail every weekend (clearwater fl area) .. set up in the heat can be uncomfortable ... but besides a few days early this year in the upper 90's it was really not that bad...

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 02:31 PM

mid 90's is not hot. I live around HOTlanta. Sheesh. :P
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 03:40 PM

So you live in a place that's over 90 in the summer AND snows in winter?

Obviously the corporate execs don't want you out doing things other than working....

Setting up your HQ in FL (or carribean) would be bad for productivity, I guess.

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 03:43 PM

One trip to ICU was enough for me.

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 03:47 PM

I've got you beat there Ding.

Been there 3 times personally. :P

Re: slightly sad - 10/28/09 03:51 PM

I've got you beat there Ding.

Been there 3 times personally. :P

That is a race I will happily concede my friend.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums