Catsailor.com

To my fallen Coasties

Posted By: Robi

To my fallen Coasties - 11/07/09 03:47 AM

Last week we lost seven Guardians, along with two Marines.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/index.php/2009/11/fallen-guardians-honored-at-sea/
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/07/09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Robi
Last week we lost seven Guardians, along with two Marines.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/index.php/2009/11/fallen-guardians-honored-at-sea/

Robi,

That link doesn't work but here is one that goes to the story. Keep up the good work guys.

"for those in peril on the sea"

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/

Honoring Our Fallen Guardians – AMTC Seidman, AET2 Grigonis, AET2 Beacham, AMT2 Moletzsky, AMT3 Kreder
“We’ve lost a great team. Each one of the crew was highly dedicated, valued the mission, and contributed in countless ways to the unit. They will be sorely missed personally and professionally.” AMTCM Brian Byrd, Command Master Chief, Air Station Sacramento Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman was the flight engineer of CG-1705, an HC-130 long-range [...]

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/07/09 01:35 PM

Yep thats it thanks Jack.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/07/09 02:30 PM

Hey Robi

My prayers are with them and their families. I am deeply grateful for everything that you guys and the other military branches do for us. Had I not been cursed with this wretched disease, I'd be out there with you.
Posted By: FasterDamnit

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/08/09 02:28 AM

God speed to them all.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/08/09 02:41 PM

hats off to all... you guys are our heros!
Posted By: RMURPH

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/08/09 10:18 PM

Hey Robi - My prayers are also with the friends and Families of our 'Fallen Heroes', they gave all!!
Murph
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/09/09 08:57 PM

technical question for you Robi; do Coasties have the same benefit program as other military servicepersons? (Like VA benefits, or pension, GI-Bill, etc)?

Seems like a great way to serve your country without getting shot or blown up nearly as much...

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/09/09 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

Seems like a great way to serve your country without getting shot or blown up nearly as much...

What makes you think they don't get shot or blown up?

I was in the Navy in Viet Nam with CTF115 (Operation Market Time). The coasties were right there with their 82 footers (Point Class) along with our PCFs (Swift Boats) and they had WHECs doing offshore duty. They also had a Loran site on Con Son.

The Coasties do go "In Harm's Way"!

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/09/09 09:10 PM

The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy.

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/09/09 09:32 PM

Andrew nailed it. We are part of the Armed Forces of the United States of America. We do get shot at by the enemy but not as much as other services. The major difference in our service is we work for Homeland Security compared to the other branches they work for Department of Defense.

We on the other hand can apply laws other services cannot, this is why the Coast Guard are present on all Navy ships that are enforcing embargoes on other countries.

We are entitled to all benefits that all other services are entitled to.

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/09/09 09:40 PM

We are entitled to all benefits that all other services are entitled to.

And you get paid to surf 70' swells!!!! you should be paying them (or a shrink).. just kidding.. i tip my snoopy bowl in salute!

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/10/09 05:58 PM

Jack and Robi, to correct myself, I emphasize the "AS MUCH" part of my comment. You'd know better, but I suspect drug smugglers and others occasionally shoot back.

I was thinking more in comparison to someone who signs up as a ground-pounder in the Army or Marines (or Seal, etc) who basically is there to shoot or be shot at.

I've got a few years until the kid(s) can talk to recruiters, but never hurts to gather information early!

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/10/09 06:03 PM

Jack and Robi, to correct myself, I emphasize the "AS MUCH" part of my comment. You'd know better, but I suspect drug smugglers and others occasionally shoot back.

I was thinking more in comparison to someone who signs up as a ground-pounder in the Army or Marines (or Seal, etc) who basically is there to shoot or be shot at.

I've got a few years until the kid(s) can talk to recruiters, but never hurts to gather information early!

The main difference is that in the "land" services you probably won't die from drowning.

Even the "Coasties" don't usually face that threat. When their boat sinks they can usually wade to shore.

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/10/09 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mugrace72

The main difference is that in the "land" services you probably won't die from drowning.

Even the "Coasties" don't usually face that threat. When their boat sinks they can usually wade to shore.
Our boats dont sink. The Coasties who work on maintaining them in tip top shape know a thing or two about it and well, they dont sink.

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/11/09 10:14 PM

I like the ones that flip.

My co-worker's daughter is a newly minted rescue swimmer stationed in Melbourne, FL right now if memory serves. I'm proud and I don't even know her! Glad to see her parents were willing to let her achieve...

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/12/09 02:06 AM

I like the ones that flip.

My co-worker's daughter is a newly minted rescue swimmer stationed in Melbourne, FL right now if memory serves. I'm proud and I don't even know her! Glad to see her parents were willing to let her achieve...
Rescue swimmer in Melbourne? That doesnt sound right. A rescue swimmer is an actual aviation rating and we do not have an air station in Melbourne FL.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/12/09 02:38 AM

Yeah but he said, "...if memory serves." and I know his memory is gone, he has two young daughters, if he had any -memory- he would have stopped after one!

Marriage and kids will do that. Dain Bramage is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/18/09 09:12 PM

[quote=Mugrace72]

<<<The main difference is that in the "land" services you probably won't die from drowning.

Even the "Coasties" don't usually face that threat. When their boat sinks they can usually wade to shore.>>>

Our boats dont sink. The Coasties who work on maintaining them in tip top shape know a thing or two about it and well, they dont sink.

This is what I meant Robi.

[Linked Image]

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/18/09 09:15 PM

Still not a sunken ship

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/18/09 09:36 PM

Still not a sunken ship

Just kidding but check out these links. These guys were attached to our Navy task force and did everything and more than could have been asked of them, including die.

http://www.aug.edu/~libwrw/vwar/ron1/vn6970.htm

http://www.jacksjoint.com/cgvietnam.htm

http://www.uscg.mil/history/uscghist/VietnamPhotoIndex_D.asp

Posted By: TheManShed

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 12:41 AM

Sorry to hear about anybody giving their life protecting our county off our shore or in other countries. I fell into the last draft. I joined the Navy SeaBees once Tricky Dick sent me my letter to join the "country club of no choice". Never on a ship, part of the Navy, and shot at - ha they missed but not by much heard the bullet got my attention right quick! Did you know the Marines are part of the NAVY? I always let them know that every chance I get.

Good Bless our fallen heroes and a belated Veterans Day!

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheManShed
Did you know the Marines are part of the NAVY? I always let them know that every chance I get.

Good Bless our fallen heroes and a belated Veterans Day!

Me too...we got them there, Navy Corpsmen put Band-Aids on them, and then we carried their sorry butts back to their Mamas. smile

Semper Fi wink

Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 12:57 AM

Marine.
My
Ask
Rides
In
Navy
Equiptment

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 01:17 AM

Too funny I suppose marines would sail If I had bags to carry.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 04:30 AM

My uncle was a marine, and is still a reservist. Flew Harriers.

He could snap my neck like a twig - still.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 04:36 AM

I spent 2 1/2 Years on a Gator Freighter. Hauling Marines and all their toys to bad places. 4 tours in the gulf and 2 in Somalia.
Semper Fi

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/19/09 02:07 PM

10 years ago i bought my first cat (h16). I asked where i could get a lesson on cats (as i had only sailed a cat once before on lake tahoe, and i "didn't do so well".)

It was suggested i contact Rocco. An local who was a "figure" in the local sailing community.

He was gruff, loud, Marine, and it was obvious this wasn't going to be a "gentle" lesson. after rigging, we went out for a sail. After about 20 minutes of sailing i screwed up bigtime... i told him i had been in the navy.

The insults started flying (in semi jest), and i pulled out my old standard "you know the Marine's are a department of the Navy, Right? You know its "the Ladies Department, right?"

That was it.,.. "Take me home Squid", sail me to shore squid, soft landing Squid, lessons over squid..."

haha, it is funny looking back, but at the time i was thinking "I am paying for this"?

Re: To my fallen Coasties - 11/21/09 12:01 AM

They don't like being called the sea going bellhops. But truth being told SeaBees and Marines worked side by side once they catch up to us.

I was in the SeaBee first in unit. I can say if a Marine had my back I never had to think twice about! When it comes down to it I'd put my welfare in the hands of a Marine any day, but the ribbing will always go on.

If I need to be saved at sea thank God we have Costies! They do a Brave and daring job to save us forlorn boaters when needed.

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums