Catsailor.com

The Formula 16 Global Challenge

Posted By: Robi

The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 01:27 PM

Here are some videos and pictures. A lot of people were asking and IMO its hard to point to a photo album, hopefully they can find it a tad easier this way.

PHOTOS
http://picasaweb.google.com/wildergfx
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 02:01 PM

Thanks Robi... great shots and videos!
Posted By: arievd

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 02:32 PM

results are here:
F16 GC results
Posted By: Wouter

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 05:14 PM

In case someone is wondering what it is all for ?

The winner takes home this award.

It was made by Hans Klok in 2007 and awarded for the first time that same year when the F16 class held their first Global Challenge event at Zandvoort. It changed hands in 2008 at Mumbles yacht club UK and it will find a new owner this year. I believe it is entirely (except the foot) made from stainless steel and it is an accurate 3D model of an F16 racing catamaran with a full suit of sails up the mast.

I admit that I'm totally biased but I think we got the prettiest cup in the beach cat racing scene !

Wouter

P.S. and no, batteries, servo's or midgets do not come included (A little insiders joke)

Attached picture F16_global_challenge_cup_made_by_Hans_Klok.jpg
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 05:21 PM

Looks more like an F18 than an F16 to me! smile
Posted By: pepin

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail
<sarcasm>Yeah, you're right, being all stainless it's probably too heavy for a F16 but just right for a F18</sarcasm>
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by wildtsail
<sarcasm>Yeah, you're right, being all stainless it's probably too heavy for a F16 but just right for a F18</sarcasm>

grin grin grin grin

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 05:30 PM

hahah.. maybe they should remove 20kilos or so

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/12/09 10:49 PM

Horrible videos, but they deliver.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wildergfx new gallery is up, thir day racing

Today the racing was a hand full for the racers. The first race the winds were out of the north west, blowing around 18kts. We did witness a lot of capsizes and some broken gear. Mainsails, rudders dagger boards, hulls you name it it broke today.

The top finishers are the top players. Robbie Daniels, John Casey, Gregg Goodall etc etc.

We had wind shifts ranging from 5 to 30 degrees we were changing gates and weather marks almost at every lap. We the race committee had our drama as well. Lines getting caught on props anchors dragging and a few hickups on the comms.

All in all a fun day for everyone. The racers had a blast and the committee was smack in the middle of it all. Shrimp boil at 7pm at Gulfport Yacht Club. For results check the Yacht Club's website. www.gulfportyachtclub.com
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/13/09 12:31 AM

Nice work robi. It was I pretty crazy day today... great racing with nice shifts to keep it interesting.

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/15/09 11:26 PM

More videos, the photo gallery has been updated as well to include all the photos from the last two days.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 01:02 AM

PU certainly knows how to work a crowd.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tback

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 01:05 AM

Andy,

You're the man! See you at Tradewinds ... right? If you, or Martin, want to crew -- come on over.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 01:50 PM

Just in case you are all wondering, that is NOT Gordon's Mamogram, that is a drawing to explain the gate rounding procedures...

An Excellent job was done by the Race Committee, headed by the guy on the left in the picture, Paul Ulibari (sp-10)

Posted By: Wouter

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 02:47 PM

And here we have the winners of the 2009 F16 Global Challenge (Gulfport Florida, USA)

1st Robbie Daniels / Taylor Reiss
2nd John Casey / Dalton Tebo
3rd Greg Goodall / Kelly Krueger

A pretty nice mix of crews; as evidenced by the picture.

An adult/kid team, a two-blokes team and a mixed adult male/female team.

Attached picture F16_Global_Challenge_2009_Gulfport_Florida_the winners_smaller_size.jpg

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 03:10 PM

Congrats to all that raced (esp the winners).
Thanks to all that reported.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Just in case you are all wondering, that is NOT Gordon's Mamogram, that is a drawing to explain the gate rounding procedures...

An Excellent job was done by the Race Committee, headed by the guy on the left in the picture, Paul Ulibari (sp-10)

PU's been using that diagram for over 10 years. First time I saw it was 1997 in Syracuse at the Hobie 17 NAs.

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 04:23 PM

I'd never seen it before, I'm sure most of our guests had not, so I got quite a kick out of it!

And it was a huge improvement over Gordon's normal clothes as well...

;^)
Posted By: Jalani

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 04:24 PM

PU is also not the only experienced PRO to use it. Still raises a smile though! smile
Posted By: Bajan_Bum

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 06:06 PM

Nice videos. Wish we could have more of these interviews after every regatta.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 08:30 PM

What sort of f16 went over in this video? seems like a soft capsize, not that much wind and hardly any waves.
Posted By: pgp

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 08:41 PM

Just guessing, but from the color of the spin I would say it was a Taipan 4.9. I don't remember another boat with a spin that color.

You can see a pretty good gust just forming on the water behind it. What you can't see is the seawall and the wall of condos down wind. There was a nasty chop, with gusts hitting out of no where. Best guess for wind speed would be 15+.

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 08:49 PM

ahhaha That was our very own Seth and the GYC commodore Stephan

Re: The Formula 16 Global Challenge - 11/16/09 09:19 PM

They were just trying to wash the bird sh!t off the spinny I think. Either that or Seth was trying to give Stephan a much needed bath.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums