Catsailor.com

Americas???? Cup

Posted By: anthony

Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 06:08 AM

How dose a German funded New Zealand run Australian skipperd boat win the cup for the Americans!!??
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by anthony
How dose a German funded New Zealand run Australian skipperd boat win the cup for the Americans!!??

Because "they" paid...
Posted By: Jake

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 01:30 PM

The same way an Arab Emirates sponsored New Zealand Team almost wins it last time and a Swiss sponsored Swiss team helmed by an American won it last time.

Besides, I guarantee that BMW funded a minuscule portion of the $400Million that it took BMWO to win the cup.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 02:29 PM

You guys read JC's report on the front page of SA about all the cool goodies and misdirection that BMWO used? That friction reduction system gave them 3 knots of VMG but they couldn't get it working in time.
Posted By: lesburn1

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 02:32 PM

German funded? If I had to guess, I would say that BMW probably only put up a few percent of the total cost.
I think that it was more a marriage of convenience.
BMW got (for the most part) good press, and got to show off some of their engineering services. I sure Oracle put up more money, but most of it came out of LE's pocket.
And what deep pockets they are.
Posted By: DanTnz

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
You guys read JC's report on the front page of SA about all the cool goodies and misdirection that BMWO used? That friction reduction system gave them 3 knots of VMG but they couldn't get it working in time.

Brings up some interesting questions, I'm sure such a system could never be MARPOL compliant. They might get it past the Valencia officials, but in California or RI? Not a chance.
Posted By: catman

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 02:47 PM

Some reading about the stuff and system. It doesn't matter what the two states allow, These systems are not legal normally.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4186679.html

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/cou...-interview-de-joseph-ozannejoseph-ozanne

translate w/ google
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by catman
Some reading about the stuff and system. It doesn't matter what the two states allow, These systems are not legal normally.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4186679.html

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/cou...-interview-de-joseph-ozannejoseph-ozanne

translate w/ google

I didnt even know they carried torpedo's on these multi's
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 08:42 PM

The Oracle is strictly advertising. Oracle Inc paid $0 to the campaign. Larry was funding the campaign out of pocket with no corporate money. He made that very clear to all stock holders at the beginning of the campaign.
BMW supplies engineering and monetary compensation for the campaign but the extent of which hasn't been disclosed.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/19/10 11:31 PM

I suspect BMW didn't had over a cent in cash. It would all have been "in kind" with Larry doing the right thing by them in the hope they'll kick in some cash for the next "proper AC".
Posted By: anthony

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/20/10 03:09 AM

Good luck to them all, I find it a bit sad though it has been a long time since it was country V.S country and all you saw on the side of the boat was the name of the boat not a corparite sponsor.
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/20/10 03:49 AM

What I find sad is that I have not seen ANY mainstream news coverage. Not one single newspaper article or tv news item.

I did a search on the PalmBeachPost.com and not one single hit.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/20/10 07:24 AM

blah, blah, blah. You want to see what the cup's really all about? Glenn knows. crazy

Go here!
Posted By: Jake

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/20/10 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cyberspeed
What I find sad is that I have not seen ANY mainstream news coverage. Not one single newspaper article or tv news item.

I did a search on the PalmBeachPost.com and not one single hit.

USA today had a full page spread with boat diagrams and other data earlier this week (Monday I think).

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/21/10 03:32 AM

Would have been better before to draw interest. Not one single non sailor I have talked to even knew there was an Americas Cup race.

Pretty unbelievable.
Posted By: Don_Atchley

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/21/10 03:37 AM

Easy Answer:

2-0

That's how!
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/21/10 03:56 AM

Would have been better before to draw interest. Not one single non sailor I have talked to even knew there was an Americas Cup race.

Pretty unbelievable.

Nobody to blame but themselves! It was publicized all over the sailing mags and media. Both online and paper.
Posted By: JJ_

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 05:06 AM

Nobody to blame but themselves! It was publicized all over the sailing mags and media. Both online and paper.

"Know about it" and "interest" not same.

Two odd boats.

Now if the crews had exchanged/switched boats and raced each other again, on the same course, then non-sailors might have been interested...

Wonder how these guys think history will look back at them? Incidental Americas Cup competitors? People with too much time and money?! Or innovators?

Posted By: Keith

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

Pretty unbelievable.

I don't agree. It was in some sailing mags, and certainly on certain web sites. But I know of folks into boating that didn't even know about the event or the boats. The only thing that people knew was that "some rich guys messed it up by going to court". Here in the "sailing capitol of America" there was virtually nothing leading up to it, and pretty hidden articles afterward (one front page on the local rag though). If you didn't get lucky you missed it in the coverage.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 02:41 PM

Anyone know of a site that would let you re-watch the races? I can't find it anywhere.....

Thanks!
Greg
Posted By: catman

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bullswan
Anyone know of a site that would let you re-watch the races? I can't find it anywhere.....

Thanks!
Greg

http://www.americascup.com/en/regate/regarder-la-course/

You may have to download their player RAYV. They are only replaying the second race though.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 09:12 PM

Thanks!
Greg
Posted By: Mal

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/22/10 11:06 PM

Now that it's over and Mr Ellison has the Cup back in San Fran; I think that cat sailing in general has the potential for a huge boost. In interviews, Larry has mentioned multihulls on several occasions. Even Russel Coutts has admitted that it will be hard to go back to monomarans. If Larry's comments come to pass; 60 foot cats may well compete for the cup on San Francisco Bay. Ellison is determined to set rules on the boats such that most any country can field a team or two. There may even be a defender series. Who knows, maybe even the Olympic Committee will see the error of its ways. Am I dreamin or what?!

AC 33 being a Deed of Gift (DoG) match was somewhat of an aberration. When Alinghie tried to totally control the cup, Larry took them to court in an attempt to get a fair match (he was 11 for 11). When neither team could agree on anything; the Deed of Gift took precedence.

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/23/10 02:21 AM

I finally saw the first main stream coverage. All that was mentioned is that they are battling over where it goes to next. San Francisco or San Diego.

That is all.
Posted By: oxj

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/24/10 06:22 PM

Has Alinghi finished yet?
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/24/10 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by oxj

Come on.....Enough salt in the wound. Though I'm a fan of the BMW boat, Alighi is still a fast boat. Just not as fast or prepared.
Posted By: Mal

Re: Americas???? Cup - 02/25/10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
Originally Posted by oxj

Come on.....Enough salt in the wound. Though I'm a fan of the BMW boat, Alighi is still a fast boat. Just not as fast or prepared.
I was amazed at how unprepared both teams were. You would think they had never raced against a similar performance boat before ...... oh, wait, I guess they hadn't.

Seriously, starts and basic match racing was pitiful.

The noises made by both teams was, however, very encouraging in that 34 might be another multihull challange.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums