Catsailor.com

West System Epoxy + Expiration Date

Posted By: mayhem

West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/27/10 01:42 PM

I am starting my seasonal repairs on my Bim2000. My West system 205 + 105 junior pack has never been opened and always stored at room temperature; however, the expiration date was Aug09. Two questions:

1. I plan to repair at 10degC (50F). This is above the stated minimum of 40F. Any tips?
2. It is hard for me to get West System. I can either get fresh generic vinylester or use my expired west system. I have never used an epoxy other that West System successfully, so I am a bit superstitious to keep with West. Anyone have experience with expired, but well stored, West System?
Posted By: GS01

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/27/10 02:25 PM

The West will be fine. When working in cold temps I try to keep my resin warm up until the point I need to use it. What is your boat made out of? What kind of repairs are you doing?If laminating /fairing I prefer to use vinlyester/polyester. If I need to glue something I will use epoxy.- thomas TheMightyHobie18/16
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/27/10 03:16 PM

You may find the hardener turns red with age. This will not change it's bonding properties
Posted By: JeffS

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/27/10 10:14 PM

When I use Wesystem in colder weather like yours I stand the whole pack of resin in a pot of warm water for quite a while occaisionally adding more hot water to warm it up before mixing. If I don't do that it takes a lot longer to go off especially if it's going on thin. Like GS01 I prefer Vinyl Ester it's more reliable for going off in an expected time frame.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/28/10 04:11 AM

I've used expired WEST stuff successfully several times, and I keep the resin and hardner in an old cooler with a 15 watt bulb, that keeps it all nice and toasty in an often unheated shop.

Dave
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/28/10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by davefarmer
I've used expired WEST stuff successfully several times, and I keep the resin and hardner in an old cooler with a 15 watt bulb, that keeps it all nice and toasty in an often unheated shop.

Dave

Not a bad idea; but for anything structural and important I'd never used expired stuff; "Painting" the front door yes; stuff that needs to be strong - nope.
Posted By: mayhem

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 02/28/10 02:08 PM

Great advice guys. I am doing nothing structural just filling minor holes in the fiberglass hulls. Thanks.
Posted By: LCD

Re: West System Epoxy + Expiration Date - 03/01/10 04:02 PM

I've used WEST that has been 10 years old. Talked with Jan and Meade about it and they have done tests and everything is fine. The hardener darkens and gets more thrixotropic. Put the containers in a box with a 15 watt bulb to make it and the pumps easier to work with.
J Lindahl
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums