Catsailor.com

Tsunami

Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Tsunami - 02/27/10 07:09 PM

you may know it already:
earthquake in chile at tsunami across the pacific.

take care and good luck for all people concerned
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Tsunami - 02/27/10 07:53 PM

The resort I live above has been evacuated. Our neighborhood is packed with tourists. The neighbor kids are selling lemonade and sun screen.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 01:38 AM

And??

Did any big wave ever hit?

I hope all are OK.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by hobie1616
The resort I live above has been evacuated. Our neighborhood is packed with tourists. The neighbor kids are selling lemonade and sun screen.

We happen to be over on Maui in Kihei. Same story, everyone evacuated. We went to upcountry, Makawao. It was great for their local business. They anticipated 10ft wall of water, turned out to be only 6ft. Harbors and bays, water went down, then turned silty. No reported damage, or any one hurt. Just another missed day on the Beach.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 04:57 AM

Waves only 10cm so far in Japan. But they are prepared for worst.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_tsunami

Doug

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 02:40 PM

Turned out to be a non event. To celebrate the Hyatt had Tsunami's on sale at the bar.

A little neighbor boy came by to tell us a salami was coming.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:04 PM

Good thing the salami wasn't so big, considering it was a big butt earthquake.

Largest earthquake recorded was 9.4? Also in Chile? Sometime in the 60's? I think?

2012 here we come!! key the REM song.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:26 PM

Karl, is that avatar available on a t-shirt? I think it work quite well in four panels.

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:39 PM

Damn those Salami's!! They must be stopped! How long will we put up with runaway Salami's??!!

Salami Baggers, time to suit up!
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:45 PM

You bring up an interesting line of thought, there, K. Despite the arguments about the whys and wherefores, it is inevitable that from time to time, the earth will cast off a few species. Mass extinction events are recorded throughout the fossil record. Sometimes they are attributed to catastrophic events like the much-glamorized K-T Event, and other times they are believed to be the result of changing climate or loss of habitat as in the O-S Event. It is interesting to note that biologists are quietly in agreement that, though difficult for the human mind to comprehend the galactic span of time, we are in the early stages of what has been named the Holocene Event. If such thinking could somehow penetrate deeper into our understanding, we wouldn't have threads like "Drill." We, together, are a species clinging to a restless rock that is hurtling through the cold black at an incomprehensible speed. We're one big wave, one escaped tiger, one Heimlich away from... what? Good thing we have Portsmouth ratings to argue about... Ooh, look! Something shiny!
Posted By: MUST429

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
You bring up an interesting line of thought, there, K. Despite the arguments about the whys and wherefores, it is inevitable that from time to time, the earth will cast off a few species. Mass extinction events are recorded throughout the fossil record. Sometimes they are attributed to catastrophic events like the much-glamorized K-T Event, and other times they are believed to be the result of changing climate or loss of habitat as in the O-S Event. It is interesting to note that biologists are quietly in agreement that, though difficult for the human mind to comprehend the galactic span of time, we are in the early stages of what has been named the Holocene Event. If such thinking could somehow penetrate deeper into our understanding, we wouldn't have threads like "Drill." We, together, are a species clinging to a restless rock that is hurtling through the cold black at an incomprehensible speed. We're one big wave, one escaped tiger, one Heimlich away from... what? Good thing we have Portsmouth ratings to argue about...
Ooh, look! Something shiny!

Question: How many Sailors with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Hey, lets go ride our bikes ! ! ! !

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 04:00 PM

We're one big wave, one escaped tiger, one Heimlich away from...

You forgot Killer Whales...

Evacuate the Park, Tili the Killer Whale is coming!
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 04:10 PM

My church often puts groups together for mission trips in disaster areas. Today I volunteered to lead the tsunami relief trip to Hawaii. Several people offered to join me, after they paused a few seconds to realize what I had said.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 04:19 PM

Domestic disaster relief? Now there's an idea. wink
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Karl, is that avatar available on a t-shirt? I think it work quite well in four panels.

Copy. Paste. Talk to somebody who know how to take apart a .GIF file. I'd laugh my butt off if I saw that on a t-shirt.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 10:31 PM

This is what we got:
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Tsunami - 02/28/10 10:43 PM

Pretty amazing that a wave generated in Chile hits Japan 24 hours later, that is a distance of more than 9000nm!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Luiz

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
....It is interesting to note that biologists are quietly in agreement that, though difficult for the human mind to comprehend the galactic span of time, we are in the early stages of what has been named the Holocene Event.

Early stages of an extinction event... That raises a few questions:
How long is it supposed to last?
How early are we?
What will be the causes of extinction, natural ones or human beings?
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 08:09 AM

Obvious answer: Last minute litigation brought against the Vogons by a trans-galactic dolphin consortium set back the original plans for a hyperspace bypass.
Of course, as these things go, money talks in the end and there you have it, the end of the world 2.0!

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 08:50 AM

Mice are working fast and hard on a solution.
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 12:43 PM

And I thought I was the only one who loved the book and the
movie.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMe
Obvious answer: Last minute litigation brought against the Vogons by a trans-galactic dolphin consortium set back the original plans for a hyperspace bypass.
Of course, as these things go, money talks in the end and there you have it, the end of the world 2.0!

Proper Funny. Doug would be proud of you

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 03:19 PM

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
This is what we got:

Same thing in Ventura harbor, water was rushing out then rushed back in. It appeared that a J-24 had gotten stuck on a shole as our harbor is being dredged.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by scooby_simon
Originally Posted by DennisMe

Proper Funny. Doug would be proud of you

For the real conspiracy theorists, I think the space-time continuum (and therefore the waves and weather) were damaged when Arthur Dent traveled back to Elizabethan England where, dressed as Sir Walter Raleigh, he challenged Mr Bean to sail around Cape Horn on a ship skippered by Doctor Who! shocked Check it out; it's true!
Posted By: brucat

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 04:34 PM

Holy existentialist CRAP, Batman! I take a lot of grief for not sailing much anymore, but you guys REALLY need to get out more.

I spent the entire weekend locked up in a USSA Advanced RC seminar, so my brain is complete mush, then I have to read THIS??? At least my time was spent with something sailing related, I guess!

Anyway, volunteering for a humanitarian visit to Hawaii was the funniest thing I may have ever read on this forum. Thank God it wasn't actually needed, of course. But it was funny!

Mike
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Tsunami - 03/01/10 09:46 PM

Quick everyone grab your towel.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 12:21 AM

Scientist have discovered none of these supposedly-natural disasters would have occurred had man not invented the bow and arrow!

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 01:02 AM

and i saw somewhere that dinosaurs became extinct due to smoking, not a meteor ...

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
and i saw somewhere that dinosaurs became extinct due to smoking, not a meteor ...

Dinossaurs learned how to use artifacts, then weapons, rockets and so on. They either fought each other to extinction or flew away from the planet leaving none behind.

Their bones and artifacts were never found because they stayed here for relatively short time span (a few hundred thousand years) many millions of years ago.

Life repeats itself...

(Not my idea, but can't remember the author's name)

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 02:50 AM

Luis- Was't that a Star Trek Next Generation episode??????

Fred
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 06:09 AM

Star Trek Voyager: Distant Origin
Season: 3 Episode: 23
Air Date: 04.30.1997

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/VOY/episode/69006.html

fred: NO its a Voyager episode!

I love Star Trek, we come in peace... shoot to kill!
Posted By: brucat

Re: Tsunami - 03/02/10 05:06 PM

Why didn't I see this coming? Good to see you've all found the underoos...

Mike

Re: Tsunami - 03/03/10 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by fredsmith
Was't that a Star Trek Next Generation episode??????

It was an old science fiction short story, possibly Asimov's. It also involved a time machine.

Re: Tsunami - 03/03/10 12:27 PM

Okay Luiz ,you've baited and set the hook.I am now going to have to find out who the short story author was/is.
Posted By: jaybird1111

Re: Tsunami - 03/03/10 02:19 PM

"Time's Arrow," Arthur C. Clarke
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Tsunami - 03/03/10 09:43 PM

I'm 1/2 way through watching "2012". Maybe I'll be that dude on the mountain with the radio transmitter on my back (Woody Harrelson's character). smile

Re: Tsunami - 03/03/10 10:46 PM

Thank-you , jaybird1111

Fred
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums