The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 12:27 PM

[Linked Image]
First trials with the new main :-)
Posted By: pgp

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 12:28 PM

Beautiful!
Posted By: Timbo

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 02:59 PM

Andi, we can probably fit that on my boat for the next Tradewinds, right??

And what's the name of that little hill in the background? You ever climb that and ski down?

;^)
Posted By: alutz

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 07:09 PM

That's mount Lengone close to the lake of como.

I have never climbed that mountain. But we planned to go up there with mountain bikes (no joke, there is a dirt road on the other side of the mountain). you can allmost go to the top with the mtb's. But it's a challenge because of the height, you have to climb 2000m ~ 6000 feets.

When you guys go for the european F16 championship at the lake of como. You will allmost have the same view.

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 07:29 PM

Andi, we can probably fit that on my boat for the next Tradewinds, right??

Just cut some inches of and you are set grin

But how are the F16 Rules anyway?
Are there limits on the width and height of the head?

My main has head angle of 100°, so the top of the sail goes a little above the mast top. This is to improve the tip vortex effect. The jury is still out on the race course. But in the trials the sail performed excellent.

I think Randy Smith tried it with his A-Cat sail also.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/13/10 10:43 PM

Hi Lutz,
Yes Randy Smyth sailed the pointy-top boomless sail last year.
Last month at the Admiral's Cup he put up a less exaggerated pointy-top, still boomless. I believe Smyth did quite well with this? There is still no complete posting of results... I don't know as saw him only at the start of each race. 8^(
Posted By: Wouter

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/14/10 07:40 AM

But how are the F16 Rules anyway?
Are there limits on the width and height of the head?

These only state that the heighest point of the mainsail is used to determine the "mainsail hoist height" and this may not be further above the mainbeam then 8.5 mtr. Of course the luff length is also limited to max 8.1 mtr and it must be a "soft sail". These are all the rules that govern the F16 mainsails.

In short, you can pretty much have whatever head you want as long as no part of it is higher up then 8.5 mtr relative to the mainbeam. So an upward angling head will say the top corner of the mainsail (near the mast) be closer to the mainbeam then 8.5 mtr. That is the payback is you want a 100 degree top corner angle.

Wouter

Re: The beauty and the beast - 04/15/10 11:42 AM

Hi Wouter

Thanks!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums