Catsailor.com

Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair

Posted By: agur

Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 05:32 PM

Hi!

Just bought Nacra 5,7, and found that 2 of front crossbeam strap bolt holes has lost its screw thread. frown

Does anyone has a good solution for repairing screw threads, so the crossbeam can be fastened tightly and properly.

Thaks, blush
Agur
Estonia
Posted By: kyle robberts

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 05:49 PM

auto parts stores sell a product called a helicoil repair kit This type of repair has worked fine for me in the past.The other option is to drill and tap for next size up bolt
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 05:52 PM

It's a pretty simple fix. Buy the next size larger tap and tap the hole and replace with the larger bolt. You will need to carefully drill the SS strap a little bit larger to allow the larger bolt to pass through.

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 06:02 PM

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

I will try this new larger size tap method.

Regards

Agur

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 06:12 PM

Does this helicoil will be strong enough compared with new larger tap?
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 06:39 PM

It would be stronger to drill and tap for a larger bolt (more thread area in contact with each other).
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by agur
Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

I will try this new larger size tap method.

Regards

Agur

I would also recommend Teflon coating the new bolt or using a few dabs of water proof grease when putting them in.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 07:02 PM

From Greg's Tips

From Greg's Tips... replace beam bolts

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/25/10 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

I miss Greg.

Attached picture 21501BP~Marvin-The-Martian-Posters (Small).jpg

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/26/10 08:22 AM

Just for information - how thick walls has this inner bolt tube?

I think that using a DROP-IN Internally-Threaded Expansion Shell Anchor insn`t good idea? It will probably damage the tube walls and surrounding fiberglass?
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/26/10 01:10 PM

Your last question, probably not a good idea. The other two options is what I'd go with.

As has been said, it is crucial to use a good, long lasting anti-seize coating when reinstalling.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/26/10 01:22 PM

I don't think it's a tube , but a plate embedded in the layup of the hull. That is definitely the way it is in my N20 as I had to re mount it after too much beating on it trying to get out a broken bolt with a broken EZ out inside of it. My guess would be it's the same program with the strap as with the beam bolt.

Attached picture DSCN0032 (Small).JPG
Attached picture DSCN0038 (Small).JPG
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 04/26/10 01:50 PM

There is a helicoil kit made for aluminum motorcycle engines that seems to work the best. It included a plastic sleeve and a 2 part mixture that looked like epoxy. This combo was supposed to passivate the aluminum and electrically isolate the SS helicoil from the aluminum. I would check with a local motorcycle shop.

Re: Nacra 5,7 beam strap bolt hole screw thread lost, how repair - 08/25/10 06:32 PM

thanks everyone for advices! I used this time helicoil and seems that it works fine.

thanks!

agur
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums